Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Unrealistic" body goals

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Which post or posts are you referring to? You keep going on how some people from this community are not encouraging enough for you.

I'm not going to call out individuals. I'm not saying people aren't encouraging enough, they're discouraging without having a clue about the person they're trying to impose they're defeatist wisdom to. And no, it's not everyone. I've just seen people here being unnecessarily negative.

Oh, I also see people who are more determined to disagree than to try to understand your point. 😂
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    With respect the OP has stated he’s not natural. His physique IS unrealistic, in that he has stated previously he could not obtain it by natural means. It’s clearly POSSIBLE but only if you are open to the same enhancements.

Youre right about me, but I disagree that it's only possible that way. Theres of lot people natural that have better physiques than me. My physique isnt extraordinary imo. I dont believe my physique is unrealistic for someone natural but I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about wanting to have a flat belly or single digit bf.

Well... for many women, who tend to lose that pouch of fat under the navel last, a perfectly flat belly is possible, but only if they go down to a body fat level at which they lose their period. I’m not sure unrealistic is the right word, since clearly many female athletes are willing to lose their periods, but “not necessarily the best plan if you’re interested in health and well-being rather than appearance,” is sometimes definitely the case.

I haven’t seen too much of the behavior you describe on the forums, but there are a couple of people in particular who have histories of eating disorder who tend to kind of jump on newbies who start out at normal BMI and want to make drastic lifestyle changes. Maybe a little projecting their own behavior onto others, maybe a little bit they have a point sometimes.

Fair point and that's what I have a problem with. They're the kind of people that would tell their kid that dreams of being a neurosurgeon to just get an average job. I dont feel its anyone's job here to squash someone else's goals. It's just as easy to give them support even if there's a small likelihood of them achieving it.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    Which post or posts are you referring to? You keep going on how some people from this community are not encouraging enough for you.

Yep, I'm curious too. I've been here a long time and this just seems like the OP is determined to chastise some posters (whoever they may be). Yes, a few do what the OP is all upset about, but the majority do not. I'm following this thread and just shaking my head. There are some posters with a history (but we can't mention that) and they make repeated threads on achieving a certain goal, obsession sometimes, and they have been told repeatedly that it takes work to get there. They keep coming back with fresh threads and with the same goals and frustrations, but after the 3rd thread you just know they are not going to take any of the advice. People start to not take those posters seriously. That's what I see.

I'm not chastising anyone, or youd know whoever they may be. I also never said it was the majority.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

I'm not going to call out individuals. I'm not saying people aren't encouraging enough, they're discouraging without having a clue about the person they're trying to impose they're defeatist wisdom to. And no, it's not everyone. I've just seen people here being unnecessarily negative.

Oh, I also see people who are more determined to disagree than to try to understand your point. 😂

Ah, point taken. Which thread or threads then?
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    edited October 2020
    In the last few days I've seen a girl in her 20s be told that wanting a flat belly is unrealistic and a guy be told that sub 10% bf was largely genetics.

When I started my journey, I was obese and from Day 1 I had a "unrealistic" goal physique. It took me over a decade but I achieved that goal and so have hundreds of thousands of other people so why call it unrealistic? It's only so if you believe it.

Instead of discouraging someone looking to achieve something remarkable, why not just say "go for it!"?

Thoughts?

Realistically it comes down to effort, determination, willpower, and genetics. We all have a genetic body fat set point where our body wants to be. We all can maintain a happy zone with our body fat percentage but it's different for everybody. So yes, it's unrealistic to maintain a very low body fat year round without engaging in some sort of eating disorder. It's best to find that zone where you feel good and have energy to live your life. In other words keep a healthy body fat percentage!
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    2 words... David Goggins. I think we so quickly limit ourselves to “unrealistic” because it’s comfortable. His 40% rule is enlightening for situations like these. Now, don’t take this post to mean that I think everyone is going to be a David Goggins who runs 13 miles just for the fun of it! Lol he’s a bad*** and puts in a TON of effort everyday. That is the *limitation*... the amount of time/effort people are willing to put in. (I find a lot of inspiration/motivation from him, but I know I will never be a David Goggins because I’m not going to put in the time/effort! Lol) Each individual has to own that, but it doesn’t make their goals unrealistic or unattainable. There’s also plenty of medical conditions/limitations that play into an individual’s abilities, but as previously stated by others there are also people who overcome the odds with a lot of hard work and dedication to beat the odds. Many goals are more mental work than physical.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    qhob_89 wrote: »
    2 words... David Goggins. I think we so quickly limit ourselves to “unrealistic” because it’s comfortable. His 40% rule is enlightening for situations like these. Now, don’t take this post to mean that I think everyone is going to be a David Goggins who runs 13 miles just for the fun of it! Lol he’s a bad*** and puts in a TON of effort everyday. That is the *limitation*... the amount of time/effort people are willing to put in. (I find a lot of inspiration/motivation from him, but I know I will never be a David Goggins because I’m not going to put in the time/effort! Lol) Each individual has to own that, but it doesn’t make their goals unrealistic or unattainable. There’s also plenty of medical conditions/limitations that play into an individual’s abilities, but as previously stated by others there are also people who overcome the odds with a lot of hard work and dedication to beat the odds. Many goals are more mental work than physical.

THANK YOU! I never want to have the mindset of telling someone their goal is unrealistic because that will also be reflected in what I accomplish. Anyone that has accomplished anything extraordinary has a deep seated belief that the extraordinary is possible.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

Anyhoo, I'm done defending my point. I choose to believe things widely viewed as unrealistic are only so because of that mindset itself and you are doing a disservice to others when you spread it.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2020
    🤣 my unrealistic body goal is to have a bod like SHAKIRA... she is my idol 😍. Some people here in the forum are soooo bitter. They think their way is the right way, when in reality sooo many options and methods are available. Whatever works for 1 person may not work with someone else. Good luck reaching those goals folks. Whatever makes you happy, go get it!

Mine is to have a body like Jennifer Aniston, Mila Kunis or Britney Spears! They are all around the same height as me so in my mind, I should look like them LOL
  • qhob_89

THANK YOU! I never want to have the mindset of telling someone their goal is unrealistic because that will also be reflected in what I accomplish. Anyone that has accomplished anything extraordinary has a deep seated belief that the extraordinary is possible.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

Anyhoo, I'm done defending my point. I choose to believe things widely viewed as unrealistic are only so because of that mindset itself and you are doing a disservice to others when you spread it.

I agree... “Master your mind and defy the odds” is the quote on the front of Goggins’ book. Most people need to work on that. I have just got back on here after neglecting my body for over a year. It would be easy to say it’s unrealistic for me to get off my couch and go run 5 miles... truth is, I would just have to mentally prepare that it’s going to hurt, It’s cold, I’m going to want to quit, I may feel like I’m going to die 10 minutes it, but I’m capable of doing it if I keep my mind in check.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Mine is to have a body like Jennifer Aniston, Mila Kunis or Britney Spears! They are all around the same height as me so in my mind, I should look like them LOL

That's the spirit, girl! 🤣
    I like to have fun while reaching my goals. Never a dull moment. 😁 Let's get the bods we like to have. It's our body after all, we don't need permission from strangers... duh!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    There will always be naysayers.

Brendan Gallagher “I don’t prove people wrong, I always try to prove people right,”

Picked in the 7th round 147th overall, the experts said his dreams of playing in the NHL were Unrealistic. He was just awarded a 6 year 39 million dollar contract because he proved his coaches and supporter right. Don't tell him he won't win the Stanley Cup.
  • qhob_89
    czcqr7aex5mt.jpeg
    Instagram/social media/celebs vs reality... photoshopped and heavily filtered images are not real. Comparing yourself, goals, and results to something that is not real is only doing a disservice to yourself, hard work, and progress. Put your energy where it matters.
  • qhob_89
    kimny72 wrote: »
    qhob_89 wrote: »
    czcqr7aex5mt.jpeg
    Instagram/social media/celebs vs reality... photoshopped and heavily filtered images are not real. Comparing yourself, goals, and results to something that is not real is only doing a disservice to yourself, hard work, and progress. Put your energy where it matters.

But you're contradicting yourself. Are we allowed to tell a poster who is trying to get a clearly manipulated instagram body that it's unrealistic or not? I thought that was demotivating? Aren't we just supposed to cheerlead and get out of the way?

Or is it better to tell a woman whose goal is to have a tiny waist and big butt like their fave photoshopped insta model that that goal is unrealistic, so she can focus her hard work on realistic goals?

If a poster says they are going to give up because every time they try to lose weight quickly so they can look like a celeb they love for their vacation, is it wrong to tell them that rather than giving up, they should acknowledge their goal is unrealistic and focus on a more realistic goal?

I think what I’m trying to say is getting a bit convoluted. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and can voice it; after all we are on a public forum. People who post need to understand they open themselves up to the opinions of others for that very reason. I also don’t think everyone should be expected to or needs to be a cheerleader!
    My belief is that everyone is responsible to determine for oneself what is “realistic” vs “unrealistic.” I don’t think just simply providing the feedback “yeah, you’re not being successful because you have unrealistic goals.” is beneficial or necessary. I think posing some questions and providing some helpful advice or guidance is the better method. (Others can certainly disagree with that!) Maybe point out that it may take more time and hard work to meet that goal, and they may feel better by hitting some smaller milestones.
    If a poster says they are going to quit because they don’t look like celeb X heading into vacation, that’s a mental roadblock they have to overcome. (My other point that so much of the journey is mental, opposed to being strictly physical). If a poster is ready to quit, I don’t see how telling them they have unrealistic goals is going to keep them in it. If it’s “unrealistic” why even bother? However, that being said, each person has to take personal stock and ownership of their process. That’s why I choose to not compare myself to others, determine for myself what is “realistic,” and not take the opinions of others too seriously. Take what's helpful; leave the rest.