Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• skelterhelterskelterhelter Member Posts: 719 Member Member Posts: 719 Member
    vaman wrote: »
    My big childhood comfort meal was grilled cheese and tomato soup. It had to be Kraft cheese on Wonder Bread--grilled with loads of butter--and paired with Campbell's tomato soup. After a day playing in the snow, that SO hit the spot. We also did something called 'Fast Food Fridays' where we hit up a different takeout place. Parents didn't want to cook after a long work week, and me and my three brothers looked forward to sitting around the table together, playing with our Happy Meal toys or bonding over a pizza. I miss those days.

The grilled cheese sandwich and Campbell's tomato soup, sure was good, in fact it was so good I had it for lunch on Friday... and yes it is still very good!

Absolutely! :) And I still love it!
  • ReenieHJReenieHJ Member Posts: 2,998 Member Member Posts: 2,998 Member
    Or Campbell's tomato soup with crushed ritz crackers Yummy
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,714 Member Member Posts: 4,714 Member
    Chicken and stars! A favorite
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,714 Member Member Posts: 4,714 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Or Campbell's tomato soup with crushed ritz crackers Yummy

Ohhhh for me, chicken noodle soup with crushed saltines
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 7,922 Member Member Posts: 7,922 Member
    Another thread reminded me of this one:
    Wagon Wheels...every once in a while Mom would get some for us...loved them
  • AshHeartsJesusAshHeartsJesus Member Posts: 203 Member Member Posts: 203 Member
    Ooooh mom always made grilled cheese on chili night 😎
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

the pasta or cookie?? Because the wagon wheel shaped pasta is my childhood haha

Funny you ask...regarding the other thread...
    @VegjoyP commented how 'wagon wheels' were her favorite...I wasn't even thinking pasta (which I'm pretty sure she meant). I was thinking 'cookie' (of course my mind immediately went to cookie lol!🤣)

The pasta that most reminds me of my childhood was Kraft Dinner w/ chopped up wieners! I liked it then...now this sounds absolutely revolting🤣🤣
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,146 Member Member Posts: 1,146 Member

@VegjoyP commented how 'wagon wheels' were her favorite...I wasn't even thinking pasta (which I'm pretty sure she meant). I was thinking 'cookie' (of course my mind immediately went to cookie lol!🤣)

The pasta that most reminds me of my childhood was Kraft Dinner w/ chopped up wieners! I liked it then...now this sounds absolutely revolting🤣🤣

Yes I meant pasta, don't even know what wagon wheel cookies are! 😂
  • glassyoglassyo Member Posts: 4,912 Member Member Posts: 4,912 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Me either but....cookies...so....

A quick google search says they're like moon pies in the states?

glassyo wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Me either but....cookies...so....

A quick google search says they're like moon pies in the states?

I'm thinking you're right - they sure look similar
    edited October 24
  • ReenieHJReenieHJ Member Posts: 2,998 Member Member Posts: 2,998 Member
    The term wagon wheel cookies reminded me of Pinwheel cookies, wheel-shaped with a wafer bottom, marshmallow goo on the inside and chocolate coating; a treasure we kids found in the grocery bags on many a grocery shopping return. I swear it was me and my sibs who invented the 'what'd ya get at the store?' line. :/

Another sweet I remember from childhood days were little chocolate candies in the shape of babies; dubbed chocolate babies. Gobbled by the bagful. :(
  • PKM0515PKM0515 Member Posts: 1,526 Member Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    At this time of year, my Mom would buy donuts and apple cider. She would also buy candied apples and, from a local bakery, these wonderful iced pumpkin cookies for my sister and me.

But she was the BEST cook and baker. Autumn reminds me of her delicious baked apples, apple crisp, beef stew, vegetable beef soup, and homemade macaroni and cheese.

edited October 24
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Member Posts: 3,966 Member Member Posts: 3,966 Member
    Chicken and stars! A favorite

That was my favorite soup! Then the Spaghetti O's with the hotdogs were the best.
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,822 Member Member Posts: 5,822 Member
    These were so cute. The cheez its were mini. I loved the cheez it and chocolate chips ones. ckf2iuwtlocf.jpeg
    edited October 25
    These were so cute. The cheez its were mini. I loved the cheez it and chocolate chips ones. ckf2iuwtlocf.jpeg

Yes!!
  • domeofstarsdomeofstars Member Posts: 481 Member Member Posts: 481 Member
    Tuna sandwiches on white bread with the crusts cut off, and cut into triangles. Of course the tuna was canned in oil. I would watch the clock and as soon as it hit 12 i would say, "tuna sandwich time!" 🤣 Also chocolate milkshakes (though not consumed at the same time as the tuna fish sandwich)
    edited October 27
    Tuna sandwiches on white bread with the crusts cut off, and cut into triangles. Of course the tuna was canned in oil. I would watch the clock and as soon as it hit 12 i would say, "tuna sandwich time!" 🤣 Also chocolate milkshakes (though not consumed at the same time as the tuna fish sandwich)

chocolate milk and tuna sandwich... bad image! haha but yes to both (separately)
    dcj954ues1a8.png
    eaten with chicken nuggets