WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Fae- I have three blueberry bushes. Two are cultivar Sunshine Blue and the third is Bountiful Blue. I bought them at a nearby garden store. I wanted two cultivars for better pollination. All three bushes need a relatively mild climate. I’ll bet your county extension agent would have trustworthy information about what will grow well in your area. :flowerforyou:

Debbie- The Napa Valley grapes are gorgeous in their fall colors. Great photo! :flowerforyou:

Katla in Halloweentown
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,070 Member
    Options
    😍😍😍 the kiddie pics.
  • Katla49
    Options
    Fae: I’m sure you can get blueberry plants that will survive & thrive nicely in your area. The plants that we bought were started in a mild climate near the coastal area close to Bandon OR & North Coastal California. I have Blueberry Sunshine Blue
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,070 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I was locked out of Community too. For a day and a half. Scan read most of what was posted. Little to add to what has already been said by others.

Today I’m adjusting to the time change. It has played havoc with my Fitbit settings, but think I finally got them sorted.

Last week was full on as I enjoyed doing a 5 day art programme, so time on here was pretty limited. Also working on improving my sleep patterns now that we are back on GMT.

I’m stoked that I hit my lowest weight a couple of days ago, although I did bounce back up partway. Sticking with my goals for 2020, and so far I have already smashed them out of the park. I plan to take a break for a few weeks in November before pushing on down. Nothing motivates like success.

Welcome to any new folk.
    Prayers and hugs if you need them.
    Here’s one of the pieces I doodled last week.
    gt25d7zq5j6n.jpeg

☘️ Terri
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Fae- I have three blueberry bushes. Two are cultivar Sunshine Blue and the third is Bountiful Blue. I bought them at a nearby garden store. I wanted two cultivars for better pollination. All three bushes need a relatively mild climate. I’ll bet your county extension agent would have trustworthy information about what will grow well in your area. :flowerforyou:

Debbie- The Napa Valley grapes are gorgeous in their fall colors. Great photo! :flowerforyou:

Katla in Halloweentown

Katla I could probably have them where my hydrangeas are on the northside shielded from the direct hot summer sun and get warmth from the house and stone terrace in the winter. The soil is perfect and easy to keep moist and easy to put a mist on them for summer. I don't think I could pull my hydrangeas. I have berries and a small raised bed garden on my someday list when I move and build my tiny house.

Debbie The vineyard photo is gorgeous! I will miss doing wine tours this year. The smell is wonderful.

Tracey Young Shelton! I love that show. The entire cast cracks me up.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,535 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Endless rain and really heavy cloudbursts. Parts of Brighton have had flash floods. OK here.
    The window cleaner is coming tomorrow, but the windows are clean through all the rain! :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Options
    Irish Terri- Your "doodles" are fabulous! Art to life, indeed. :smiley:

Heather- I’m glad you are okay although parts of Brighton have had flash flooding. I hope your son’s family is also safe. :star:

Today is bright and sunny, but I’m having trouble staying warm enough. It is 46 Fahrenheit on my deck. It is sunny and bright, but not warm today. I am chilly, even though I have on warm clothes. I think this calls for a cup of peppermint tea. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Barbara- I HATE getting new mattresses. lol First of all the moving of them is a P.I.T.A.! (If you get a new mattress, the guys that deliver the new one, will usually take the old one). But even the testing out of a new mattress....Ugh! I long for the days when I was young and could sleep on anything!
    KJ (Kelly)

That's partly why we decided to go with a European-style king sized mattress ... basically twin beds that can be attached together or detached. We slept with them attached until my husband's accident and detached since. The "box" section under the mattress is really light and easy to move, and twin mattresses are also relatively easy to move as well.

In addition, he and I have different mattresses. Same brand, but different firmnesses. I like quite a firm mattress and he likes a softer one. Knowing what kind of mattress I like means that going forward, choosing a new one should be easier.

Prior to our round the world trip in 2012, I slept on whatever I happened to have for a mattress ... usually something quite inexpensive. 2012 was the first time we spent a quite a bit of time in hotels, B&Bs etc. Prior to that we'd camp or stay in a hostel. But staying in hotels and B&B made me discover that there were some really nice beds out there.

Even after we got back to Australia, I looked forward to going away because we'd sleep in a better bed than what we had at home.

Once we moved to Tasmania I decided that had to stop. Why should I have to look forward to going away for a weekend to get a decent night's sleep? And that's when we made notes about the beds we liked along the way and came up with a solution for home.

Now it's usually the other way around. I love my bed at home and usually look forward to returning home from my travels to get back into my home bed. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Saturday -- the biggest day of the cycling events we're organising and we had a beautiful day. Gorgeous weather and great scenery.

I ended up spending a lot of time in the sun and got a bit of a tan ... first tan of the season!

Then I had a spa bath! First one in ages. Quite frankly, baths bore me but a little boredom is OK these days and the jets were great for my feet and the heat was great for my neck.

And when I emerged, we watched the AFL "Footy" Grand Final. My team did not win.

It'll be another early night because there is another day of cycling to organise.

M in Oz

Sunday --

The "cooldown event" ... a 100 km ride. It was another lovely day but a bit more windy than cyclists like. However all the cyclists that started finished! :)

After the ride, we rested and then went out for dinner with a group of cyclists we've known for a while. First dinner out in a long, long time!

And probably the last dinner out for a long, long time ... our borders have opened so our 0 cases of Covid status will come to an end.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Beth prayers!
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Beth Best thoughts that your dad's cyst can be removed easily. I had several cysts over the years before I had teeth removed and none were ever cancerous so odds are very heavily in your dad's favor. How wonderful to have him at age 91. Sending energy for you to get back on track with health and fitness.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Allie – what channel is Ina Garten on? I always liked her show, but lately I haven’t gotten it. I’m wondering if she changed stations?

Beth – praying that it’s a cyst and not cancer

Don’t know what it is, but my right hand is so itchy. There are two small blisters where the itch is, nothing more.

Did more on the jigsaw puzzle. Now going to work on the crochet towel toppers

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,535 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Options
    We have had a beautiful sunny day today. It is also noticeably chilly. The shift from summer to fall seems abrupt. DH thinks so, too. I’ve been reading garden books to give me some ideas for keeping my chocolate mint plant happy. I’m considering bringing it into the garage when outside temperatures start to drop. A second idea is to tuck it behind the Rhododendrons that are next to the house. I have over wintered fuchsias under the rhododendrons in the past. The plants lived but didn’t regain their former beauty. They are more temperature sensitive than any of the herbs I have in pots. Advice welcome, it will help me think it through.

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Michelle-Food Network not so much on the weekdays anymore ,but on the weekend is when her show is on..
    Im not happy with how much urine is going in the jug and i dont think the dr willl be either.
    It all depends on how much i drink and when its cooler out i dont drink as much..
  • Katla49
    Options
    Allie- Can you drink warm herbal tea? I remember you having tea in the past. Sending hugs for a good resolution that has you feeling good. ❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) Temperature here dropped below freezing overnight and into the morning. I wore my extra warm winter coat and had a great walk with the dogs early and then later with a friend. It was cold enough that I put up my hood. Also cold enough to change from regular sheets to flannel sheets on my bed.

:) We're watching the World Series . We don't care who wins, we just like baseball.

:) I've watched two days of Skate America figure skating. They have cardboard cutouts in the seats just like at the baseball games, but some of the cut outs are cats and dogs. Lots of fun to watch.

<3 Barbie in NW WA