Options

Replies

• tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Edit, because ^ I agree.

I will simply say this...

- some people are required to drive, such as commercial truckers who bring goods that keep us all alive to us, and some people are “required” to drive because they chose a career field, living location, or other factors that dictates they must commute via automobile to and from. If I am driving I am unable to remove myself and my bad driving habits from you as you are from me.
    - I concur, roads are policed. But, when nobody can drive safely and “little” things that impact me are ignored like not using turn signals, 9 you’re fine / 10 you’re mine, etc., it’s irrelevant.
    - laws are not enforced
    - Yadda yadda yadda

Everyone can still not go to an establishment if they choose not to for whatever reason.

I’d suspect hardly anyone can go about their daily life being able to choose to avoid other drivers.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, I'm just wondering if the initial spike in the graph (with the ❓❓❓) is from accidents involving automobile inventors 🙆🏿‍♀️

I need answers, even if they are lies.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    What about fire codes though... I thought that was mostly the reason for eliminating smoking in public places...

That being said... I mean you can't just go to a restaurant naked because that's your prerogative right? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Going to a restaurant naked ? It's about the 'going' part; that's a public issue (no public nudity) and once you're at the restaurant, it's a health department issue.

If we are so concerned with safety, why not address vehicle fatalities?

us_traffic_fatalities_preliminary-1.png

We can all but eliminate fatalities from automobile accidents; it's easy.
    We'll just put speed limiters on all vehicles, both commercial and private.
    We'll go with 10 MPH on the city streets and ramp it up to an excessive 15 MPH on the freeways.

Remember, if we save just one life, it will be worth it.

It's honestly a false equivalence... Driving on the road compared with smokers in a restaurant is not the same...

And the fact is that roads and driving is already policed...
    We have traffic lights and laws centered around driving vehicles...

In fact you can use the same argument the other way and argue that we have all these laws and regulations for drivers, why shouldn't we for smokers...

Sure we have laws and traffic lights regulating driving.... but look at the graph.
    People are still dying. Or is it a matter of weighing risk as members of a free society ?

There are already laws for smokers, and I'm happy that they are in-place.

However, let's take the analogy a step further.

Let's say I own 500 acres of my own land.
    I own it outright, it's mine. I then decide to build my own test track, let's say a 2 mile oval.
    This test track is on my own land, not government land, mine.
    Should the government then insist that I install traffic signals and speed limits?

Remember, it's my space, not anyone else. Is that not overreach into personal freedoms and liberties?
    The same is true for regulating legal activities in private spaces.
    If I own a bar, it's not a public space. If I manage a city library, that is a public space. Huge Difference.

It's pretty simple.

Do what you like within private settings. No government oversight is required.
    Be responsible for your own actions and accept the consequences of your actions (or inactions).

Don't except others to support and/or finance poor decisions and/or actions.

Nobody is forcing anyone to visit a bar or restaurant where smoking might be allowed. There's plenty of times I've walked into a restaurant and turned around and left, because it smelled like an ashtray. Nobody dragged me back inside and forced me to have a meal there. Smoking is a legal activity.

Smoking bans absolutely have their place - Airplanes, Public Libraries, Public Buildings & Spaces.....etc.

For the government to limit the actions of individuals, who are in their own private spaces is a very slippery slope.
    (This argument is coming from someone who has never had a lit cigarette in his mouth, not once.... they're disgusting.)

Remember - 'The larger the government, the smaller the individual' This is true everywhere on Earth.

Well... If you open your private road to the general public and want a license to open your road and the city to sign off on it and permit it and even let you charge people for its use... Then yes of course, obviously you should be required to installs stop lights or whatever is required...

What people want to do that effects them is there business but you go out in public and start doing things that effect the general public... Things you wouldn't do around your own kids... Then yes we should at least have the right to vote it prohibited...

And still... It's the same thing as just wanting to go to a restaurant naked... You just can't
    And still... There is the issue of fire codes and generally safety...
  • tmantwo
    edited November 2020
    Options
    What about fire codes though... I thought that was mostly the reason for eliminating smoking in public places...

That being said... I mean you can't just go to a restaurant naked because that's your prerogative right? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Going to a restaurant naked ? It's about the 'going' part; that's a public issue (no public nudity) and once you're at the restaurant, it's a health department issue.

We'll go with 10 MPH on the city streets and ramp it up to an excessive 15 MPH on the freeways.

It's honestly a false equivalence... Driving on the road compared with smokers in a restaurant is not the same...

In fact you can use the same argument the other way and argue that we have all these laws and regulations for drivers, why shouldn't we for smokers...

Sure we have laws and traffic lights regulating driving.... but look at the graph.
    People are still dying. Or is it a matter of weighing risk as members of a free society ?

I own it outright, it's mine. I then decide to build my own test track, let's say a 2 mile oval.
    Should the government then insist that I install traffic signals and speed limits?

Remember, it's my space, not anyone else. Is that not overreach into personal freedoms and liberties?
    If I own a bar, it's not a public space. If I manage a city library, that is a public space. Huge Difference.

It's pretty simple.

Be responsible for your own actions and accept the consequences of your actions (or inactions).

Nobody is forcing anyone to visit a bar or restaurant where smoking might be allowed. There's plenty of times I've walked into a restaurant and turned around and left, because it smelled like an ashtray. Nobody dragged me back inside and forced me to have a meal there. Smoking is a legal activity.

Smoking bans absolutely have their place - Airplanes, Public Libraries, Public Buildings & Spaces.....etc.

For the government to limit the actions of individuals, who are in their own private spaces is a very slippery slope.
    (This argument is coming from someone who has never had a lit cigarette in his mouth, not once.... they're disgusting.)

Remember - 'The larger the government, the smaller the individual' This is true everywhere on Earth.

Well... If you open your private road to the general public and want a license to open your road and the city to sign off on it and permit it and even let you charge people for its use... Then yes of course, obviously you should be required to installs stop lights or whatever is required...

What people want to do that effects them is there business but you go out in public and start doing things that effect the general public... Things you wouldn't do around your own kids... Then yes we should at least have the right to vote it prohibited...

And still... It's the same thing as just wanting to go to a restaurant naked... You just can't

I respectfully disagree. If I owned a restaurant I’d allow you to come in neked. The only thing prohibiting it would be the government and, if placed on a ballot, the voters.

I am no fire marshal, but I would feel safer in a building that is required to be inspected and certified by the fire marshal with smokers rather than in a persons dwelling where I don’t know if their smoke detectors work, if they have a fire suppression system and if it’s been correctly installed and operational, yadda yadda yadda.

Commercial restrictions, guidelines, and inspections are no joke.
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I just witnessed a man walking down the riverbank in a speedo. He managed to keep his hair covered in a towel.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    JessBbody wrote: »
    I just witnessed a man walking down the riverbank in a speedo. He managed to keep his hair covered in a towel.

People still wear Speedos? Fascinating.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    tmantwo wrote: »

It's pretty simple.

I respectfully disagree. If I owned a restaurant I’d allow you to come in neked. The only thing prohibiting it would be the government and, if placed on a ballot, the voters.

I am no fire marshal, but I would feel safer in a building that is required to be inspected and certified by the fire marshal with smokers rather than in a persons dwelling where I don’t know if their smoke detectors work, if they have a fire suppression system and if it’s been correctly installed and operational, yadda yadda yadda.

I do agree with you and @Motorsheen on a number of merits here and see your point...

But as you do, respectfully disagree on a number of others... Maybe I'm failing to fully understand the context of this discussion... Granted I never watched the video that started this whole discussion 😂...

At some point tho we have to acknowledge "the government" as the will of the people... And as the people establish various laws designed to protect our collective society... Those operating within a public domain should have to adhere to such laws...

However whatever someone does in private is not concern... 🤷🏽‍♂️

But I'm pretty sure the main reason smoking in buildings has become prohibited, is out of concern for fire safety... This extends, as it should, to protect adjacent businesses a like...
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    @Cat0703a
    Fingers crossed she makes it to 2021 in one piece😌😘🤗
  • tmantwo
    Options
    tmantwo wrote: »

It's pretty simple.

I do agree with you and @Motorsheen on a number of merits here and see your point...

But as you do, respectfully disagree on a number of others... Maybe I'm failing to fully understand the context of this discussion... Granted I never watched the video that started this whole discussion 😂...

At some point tho we have to acknowledge "the government" as the will of the people... And as the people establish various laws designed to protect our collective society... Those operating within a public domain should have to adhere to such laws...

However whatever someone does in private is not concern... 🤷🏽‍♂️

But I'm pretty sure the main reason smoking in buildings has become prohibited, is out of concern for fire safety... This extends, as it should, to protect adjacent businesses a like...

I will agree to disagree and appreciate your perspective.

Thank you for the civil discussion.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    🤬
    Edit: I forgot where I was,
    comment withdrawn.

1y7vi4ovcofl.jpeg

• iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    MFP ads you wild haha

45l0yyd6tawe.jpeg
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    MFP ads you wild haha

45l0yyd6tawe.jpeg

lugqubsbjt8h.jpeg

what is fema think is goin to happen here that they recruiting so hard
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    MFP ads you wild haha

45l0yyd6tawe.jpeg

lugqubsbjt8h.jpeg

zkxpSW6.gif
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    MFP ads you wild haha

45l0yyd6tawe.jpeg

lugqubsbjt8h.jpeg

An hurrinadodemic.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    MFP ads you wild haha

45l0yyd6tawe.jpeg

lugqubsbjt8h.jpeg

TP-Gate 2.0

I went to Costco today and there was a crazy number of folks stocking up on toilet paper.

Instead of toilet paper, I stocked up on protein powder and Doritos.

.... okay, mainly Doritos.

Well you’re all set then!