Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 5,075 Member
    So if these are "protective" and not "sterilizing" yet it would mean that we should immunize in family or social groups? So for instance households would be best off all getting the shot at the same time or nursing homes etc.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Small rant on public health messages on Covid. We hear wear masks, distance, wash hands and those with comorbidities are more susceptible to complications from Covid.

Where is the messaging to take positive steps to reduce comorbidities? Lose weight, positive steps for better nutrition, etc.

Humans were programmed with a strong death wish perhaps. Maybe we are just lazy. In my case the lightbulb did not come on until I was rushing towards a misable death at the age of 63 in 2014.

I have family that still think that Type 2 Diabetes is a disease instead of being a side effect of their Eating Lifestyle.

Good for you on finding the switch.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 3,062 Member
    Small rant on public health messages on Covid. We hear wear masks, distance, wash hands and those with comorbidities are more susceptible to complications from Covid.

Where is the messaging to take positive steps to reduce comorbidities? Lose weight, positive steps for better nutrition, etc.

I have had this same complaint. If there are variables that one has control over, why not make the effort.

On a related note, not sure where I heard it, but likely the evening news. But a gastric by pass doctor reported he was getting deluged with surgery requests. So maybe, some people are thinking the right way.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 3,062 Member
    So if these are "protective" and not "sterilizing" yet it would mean that we should immunize in family or social groups? So for instance households would be best off all getting the shot at the same time or nursing homes etc.

I was thinking about this to a degree as well. When I first heard that there could be incomfortable side-effects, I was thinking that hubby and I should stagger our vaccinations in case one needed to care for the other (thought the same for my parents), but if person #1 is shedding the virus after vaccinations, could the delayed person #2 contract full fledged COVID during those weeks?
  • Theoldguy1
    edited December 2020
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I agree with the above statement, but I would like to remind you that even in the absence of co-morbidities people can and were infected by the virus and ended in a ventilator or even dead.

Some co-morbidities can't be eliminated. Such as diabetes type 1, RA, cancer, heart arrhythmias (like A Fib), COPD (not caused by smoking), asthma, and autoimmune disorders in general. They can only be controlled by medication. I am sure that those suffering from these diseases would like to have a magic way to eliminate them from their daily suffering, even in the absence of COVID.

I also agree that a healthy lifestyle and weight control could be addressed by health authorities and controlled by the population, but I don't think that people would be very receptive to hear about it right now (unless you are part of MFP).

If people are rejecting the request of wearing masks to save lives, including their own, do you think that they would be receptive to the idea of eating healthy and controlling their weight right now? I don't think so. Many people are out of work and reaching for the help given by Food Banks for their next meal, and I don't think that they are very concerned about what kind of food they get or how much of it, as long as they have something to feed their families. Would you????

Agree that there are comorbidities that people can't do anything about.

On the masks, sure people are rejecting the idea, but the message is still being put out there.to wear them, haven't seen messaging to take care of your overall health.

Also true if one is getting food from the food bank or other assistnace there is.less concern about nutrition, jiust getting something to eat. However most aren't in that situation and if one is they can still be consuming and appropriate amount of calories to maintain weight or lose if required for heath.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited December 2020

My answer to that would be because simple messages hit home.

If one tries to have a message about, for example, getting regular pap smears - one doesnt throw in getting regular FOBT's and regular general check ups and vaccinations, and surgery is open x time to do it and the turn around time for results is x and if result is positive or negative, x is next step and other relevant but TLDR and now nobody is getting any message at all.

Simple poster: get a pap smear every 5 years.

Simple poster, "lose weight, reduce your chance of complications from Covid".