Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,873 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »

In the graphic of 100 people, I was 5th from last. The only aspect I was curious about is why "young adults" and "children" came earlier than a 59 year old given all the information about the young typically having a much less dangerous response to the virus.

I don't think it will be approved for children until after it is already dispersed for adults. It hasn't yet been approved for children, they are just starting gathering data and formal testing with children now is what I read.

Interesting, then the NYT needs to adjust their calculator because every kid are ahead of a bunch of adults. :)
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,873 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

In the graphic of 100 people, I was 5th from last. The only aspect I was curious about is why "young adults" and "children" came earlier than a 59 year old given all the information about the young typically having a much less dangerous response to the virus.

I'm 50, and was 8th from the end, which I suspect is about county vs any difference between 59 and 50.

I can see the explanation for the kids, maybe -- one of the most important things is getting them back to school and preventing spread related to that, even if they themselves are unlikely to get sick (or seriously so). Don't get the young adults all being ahead given the risk factors. Eh, shrug, Gen X just doesn't matter once again! ;-)

That might be the situation with the parents, but it almost looks like to me like their parents are ahead as well. Funny, for you, you feel out because of GenX. I'm baby boomer and am forgotten as well.

I should also add that your assumption about county is correct. I go to 13 from the end if I put in a county with higher incidence.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,771 Member
    Options

I'm 50, and was 8th from the end, which I suspect is about county vs any difference between 59 and 50.

I can see the explanation for the kids, maybe -- one of the most important things is getting them back to school and preventing spread related to that, even if they themselves are unlikely to get sick (or seriously so). Don't get the young adults all being ahead given the risk factors. Eh, shrug, Gen X just doesn't matter once again! ;-)

That might be the situation with the parents, but it almost looks like to me like their parents are ahead as well. Funny, for you, you feel out because of GenX. I'm baby boomer and am forgotten as well.

At least the younger Boomers and all of Gen X - my two sisters are among the oldest Boomers (71 and 65) and the 65-year-old works at the post office. They're well ahead of me (55 years old, no comorbidities, work from home [not because of Covid, most of my team is remote anyway]).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm behind 1.9 million in Scott county Minnesota (if I went home to get the vaccine--which I will not do).
    I'm in Italy and vaccinating will begin in January, with medical personal, first responders, teachers, and high risk first. That's all fine with me. I'll be 66, I'm in good health, exercise, and am on statins (that's supposed to be a plus right now). By the time they get to me, it'll probably be spring and the virus here usually calms down, if things go as they did last year. I can wait until fall, and want to see how things go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,204 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »

Aren't young adults also doing a good deal of the spreading, not just kids? That could account for it.

I suspect young adults are also statistically over-represented in meet-the-public jobs that may not meet that "essential worker' definitions, also. (Thinking retail clerks, receptionist types . . . . - food service may be in "essential").

Obviously, there are people in those jobs who are older, too, of course.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

As a type 2 diabetic I’m tier 2, behind health care workers, nursing homes, and first responders, with 23 million in front of me. My husband with asthma is either in the same tier or nearly last, depending on whether asthma and sharing a household with a high risk person are considered risk factors.

My wife and I are both in the last S, with around 8 people behind us out of 100. So I guess we're going to be a LONG time before we see a vaccine.

Actually, I redid it. LOL, I was dead last person in line out of 100 in AZ based on being 56 years old, no preexisting conditions and a non-essential worker. Pinal, County AZ. It looks like it's not the same result every time. I'm from 8 from the end to the end.

I did it in my county. Was 12 from the beginning. Did it again in the county 2 miles over, which is likely where I would be vaccinated. I jumped to 21st.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Neat idea, but the vaccine does not prevent people from getting and spreading the virus. They just don't get sick from it.... they become asymptomatic carriers, essentially.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Neat idea, but the vaccine does not prevent people from getting and spreading the virus. They just don't get sick from it.... they become asymptomatic carriers, essentially.

Maybe, from the discussion we had before, but that's not clear. But in any event it seems like the NYTimes piece is wrong about the order.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm not sure that's been proven, i thought it was just being assumed because they can't prove yet the RNA vaccines sterilize the virus. Don't quote me on that though :wink:

Not every vaccine, but if you go back a few pages, at least one of them was described that was by the CEO. IIRC, another was also said to be that by the manufacturer.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm not sure that's been proven, i thought it was just being assumed because they can't prove yet the RNA vaccines sterilize the virus. Don't quote me on that though :wink:

Vaccines won't end Covid so keep wearing your mask, top health official says

Coronavirus vaccines will provide some light at the end of the tunnel, but they alone won't mean an end to Covid-19, one leading health official said Friday.
    "I would like to say vaccines do not equal zero Covid," said Dr. Michael Ryan, the executive director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Program. "Vaccines and vaccination will add a major, major, powerful tool to the toolkit that we have. "But by themselves they will not do the job."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'd like to see a lot more arrests for reckless endangerment:

"...were arrested on charges of second-degree reckless endangerment. They were released after posting bail, which was set at $1,000 each, and are now facing a $2,000 fine and up to a year behind bars if convicted."

Yes the plane thing is over the top for sure but do you realize positive testing health care workers without symptoms can still pull shifts in Covid-19 isolation areas due to staffing shortages and to help protect the negative testing staff? What about doctors and nurses with someone at home with Covid-19?