WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie - I'm sorry the news isn't good. I'm thinking about you. Keep us in your pocket and fight for what you need, girl.
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It is with great relief I can say that the cycling event was a success!

We threw everything at the riders ... 207 km, hills, wind, rain, cold, hail and all ... and everyone made it. :)

(BTW - it's summer here. Snow down to 1000 metres isn't exactly appreciated, nor is the accompanying cold and hail.)

I am exhausted!

I got about 5 hours of sleep last night because I was worried about the event, and I never do well if I've got to get up early. We were 12 hours on the road and waiting for cyclists. I stood for 4 hours at the finish line, barely ate, barely drank anything (my feet started cramping), cold and damp. But it was worth it to welcome in all 22 participants.

M in Oz

Katla, this sounds amazing! Wow!

charsuzy
    Washington state USA
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    My life never without drama.. so im sitting in the chair and Matt the nurse said you feel ok and as i was about to say yes went into severe
    AFib and they come with the crah cart hot me in bed put pads on and by then things had settled down a bit,this will im sure slow down my getting home..
    Bless my nurse she found me a nice chair and im all tucked in this morning.

grandmallie - prayers for your recovery 💗
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Phew!
    I've just been negotiatingby text with my son about the kids' presents. I was beginning to panic with no word from them!
    Bea wants the same guinea pig pyjamas that I bought Edie for her birthday.
    Done! :D Ordered.
    (They have three guinea pigs <3 )
    Edie wants art supplies and my son said he could buy them ! :D
    Max wants a game - of course. ;) My son will buy it,
    Hooray!
    He will deliver it for wrapping and I will put the money in his account. I have ordered some more wooden heart gift tags which I love to decorate for the individual. <3 They seem much appreciated.

Making progress with the cards. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - i can just imagine your heart on coming across that article! <3 Sending hugs to you, as I know you are really missing him. Becoming a man is such a complicated business.

You are all shaming me with your Christmas cards done! I bought mine in September and bought all the stamps last month, but I haven't written a single one! I had very good intentions! Must get started today. I don't write my memoir on Sundays, so there's a chance. I love getting cards, so I have to write them. I always write to a couple of old boyfriends first, because I'm curious as to what has happened in their lives this year and want a reply! Other very old friends I haven't seen for years are next. I'm curious and nosey. Then people i am in touch with anyway last. The old relatives who used to get a card are all dead now, so the list has gone down a bit. I love to get a few sentences back with some news. Just a signature does not cut it! >:)
    I have been better this year at keeping in touch with friends.

We still haven't had a Christmas present list from my son. I'll text him today and remind him. I'm happy to buy the kids something without a list, but my DDIL usually tells us what they want. Max normally wants a game. :D
    We're not doing adult presents this year, apart from a small fun foodie thing.

Tracey - Your husband's talent with wood is amazing! Love the headboard. What a special present. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yes, though I haven't actually heard from him since June, this article and photo gave my heart a shot of loving fuzzies. <3 I was struck by his "grown up" gaze, and oozing confidence. His life is on a track of its own, and I need to be ok with that. He can check in with us, every 3 to 4 years, when he changes duty stations. That is what we did with Lee's mom. We passed thru Oregon on our way to someplace else. This checking in must have been enough for her, as she never complained, or whined to us about it.
    Hugs,
    Rebecca
    ps, I addressed my Christmas cards this past summer. I gobbled up all the 50% off packages I could find, and bought some at our Dollar Store.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hello all! Yesterday was a busy day. I got up and got my grocery shopping done; with a couple extra stops for greenery (wreaths and garland, which I found NONE!), so I didn't make it home until 12:00. In the middle of my putting away of things (a half hour job), my father in law called. He is 89 now, and moved into a little apartment attached to his son's home after my mother in law passed. He is a hobby wood carver, but does beautiful work. Each year he makes ornaments for his kids and grandkids. He made 52 ornaments in the past two months! I don't have my tree up, yet; but I will see if I can get all of his carved ones together and get a pic to show you. Anyway, he was on his way to Grand Haven to visit all of the Lakeshore LaMore's (Tim and two of his brothers live here). So I did a quick sweep and mop and bathroom clean in 30 minutes. He brought a box of ornaments (one for each of us). We visited for about an hour or so. He left and I began to get my baking ingredients out and ready to begin, then realized I hadn't eaten yet that day. Put a pizza in the oven for Tim and I (early dinner at 3:30). Got that cleaned up...and my oldest son pulled in with his girlfriend with a full trunk of stuff for storage. Hoo-boy! I laughed with Nicolette (Darren's girlfriend) walked in first with a storage shelving unit to help store their things. She was going to put it together then organize their things on it. I had to laugh because her intentions were ridiculously sweet; but also the storage shelf unit was probably four feet wide by six feet tall and would fit only three large bins. I showed her all of Darren's things that are piled in a corner of our basement and she was stunned. lol She said, "He needs an intervention! He is only 33 and he is a hoarder!" Anyway, Tim and I have ordered more storage racks for the basement and garage. They will be arriving this week, so the kids will be out sometime this week to help put them up and get all of their things organized on some of them. They were here for a couple of hours and by the time they left it was 6pm. So...the baking began. I made the rest of the gingersnaps, from the dough that the kids and I made on Friday. Then I made some white chocolate macadamia nut cookies for Tim (because happy husbands stay out of your hair, right?!), last thing into the oven last night was banana bread for the kids breakfast on Monday. I put the ham bone from our Thanksgiving ham in the crock pot with beans, carrots, and water and that cooked overnight and made a lovely bean soup. My crock pot is cleaned and now holding a pot roast and veg for dinner tonight/leftovers this week. I will be working on Christmas cards this morning. I will also be baking pecan shortbread cookies (my dad's favorite cookie), making three batches of rock candy (cinnamon, wintergreen, and anise), a batch of buttercream mints, and boxing them up to send to my four siblings. My mother made these things (along with Rosette cookies; but those are too fragile to ship) every Christmas seas; so I thought my sibs would enjoy a little edible memory. So...busy weekend, but productive! I have a feeling the next couple of weekends will be like this. lol I Love the holidays, though.
    Allie - Oh honey! I am so sorry to hear about the continuing heart issues; but so glad it is happening while you are still at the hospital. I agree with the others in saying, you are exactly where you need to be, right now! Sending so much love and hugs your way! (((( <3:*<3 ))))
    Heather- Great pics of the grands! I know I have said this before, but your son looks SO much like you! I think Edie also resembles you quite a bit. Max and Bea look to be a good mix of both mom and dad. Your fireplace looks great! Light those candles!
    Barbara- So...did you finish all of the fudge? lol It is so good.
    Rebecca- Owain looks so handsome and happy! What a fun surprise! P.S. I think we need an Athena update!
    Cheri- I know you are reading...how is your crocheting going? Are you still able to donate your work (wondering if they are still taking them with the covid policies how they are)?
    Tracey- I can't wait to see pictures of the completed headboard in place and lit up! It is going to look fantastic!

Matter of fact...with the holidays coming...I think we need some holiday crafts, grandchildren, and fur baby pics! Haven't seen many of those, lately. Instant mood lifters!

Love and hugs to all of the rest of you! I better get busy. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Ok, I need a nap from all I read ya doing girl! You are a holiday cyclone of business, domesticity, and I am in awe of you!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    Fae's Brownies for batter eaters and chocolate lovers

One egg in mixing bowl with 2 shots Tequilla
    to kill any bird flu virus and salmonella, etc.

Beat the egg with Tequilla very thoroughly and let
    sit for a minute then add
    1 tsp instant coffee
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    4 tbs dark chocolate syrup

Mix well then add
    1/2 cup veggie oil
    1/4 cup water

Mix well then add
    Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie mix
    and mix well then bake by directions on the box

Enjoy scraping the batter from the bowl and eating it
    while the brownies fill the room with a joyous aroma

I top with my almond butter and honey mix

Fae

I am thinking you could use that premade boozy eggnog instead of the tequila, right? LOL!
    Rebecca
    (that needs ta buy another bottle of boozy eggnog)
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    KJ & Lisa
    I really admire all the baking y'all are doing. People will be blessed to eat your treats. I am not a baker at all.

Rebecca
    Great photo and article about your son. He seems to be doing a great job on his ship and sounds very mature for his age.

Tracey
    The lights over your counters give your kitchen a bright new look along with the white cabinets and pretty green paint colors.

I spent the morning on Amazon and eBay ordering gifts. It is my favorite way to shop as I hate going into stores. I am glad that my family is giving me ideas for things they really want.

Carol in GA

thanks, I thought so too. It is like reading about another adult. Except its your son. I still remember him sweetly.
    2aot17mbp3mm.jpg
    Rebecca
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    ((( Allie))). Sending you hugs. So glad you are where you'll get good treatment. Thinking of you

Reading along for now and sending good wishes to all.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    My life never without drama.. so im sitting in the chair and Matt the nurse said you feel ok and as i was about to say yes went into severe
    AFib and they come with the crah cart hot me in bed put pads on and by then things had settled down a bit,this will im sure slow down my getting home..
    Bless my nurse she found me a nice chair and im all tucked in this morning.
    Well ladies so the Afib dr came in basically a very weak heart which will need a defibrillator and Afib...gave me breathing treatment to stave off pneumonia..girls not looking great they will try and keep me going for a few years.

(((((Allie)))))

• Machka9
    edited December 2020
    Options
    WThyme wrote: »
    M in Oz - Congrats on the successful cycling event! Sounds like today is a good day to sleep in and rest up.

Thyme in Georgia

Thank you and thanks all. :)

I had great volunteers out there which made the job easier.

I probably should have booked today off, but it's Monday morning here and I'm at work. I'm tired, however I did go to bed astoundingly early for me (10:30 pm) last night so I got some much-needed extra sleep.

M in Oz
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Allie, I’m so sorry. Prayers for healing.

Ginny, I fell and did a number on my pinky, displacing the joint and chipping the bone. The doctor realigned the bones with a pin and put in some little anchors in places where bone was eroded. Anchors will stay, pin will come out in a few weeks, and I will need physical therapy to regain use of my finger. There is no pain, just inconvenience. I am blessed.

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka- cookie exchanges were popular here for a few years in offices and amongst women groups. I never participated, I don’t like baking enough to do it.
    Congratulations on the successful event. Sometimes I wish we could control the weather.
    Tracey in Edmonton

I worked in engineering firms for much of my working life in Canada with a relatively low number of women, so that may be why there weren't cookie exchanges where I worked. The engineers, technicians, etc. wouldn't have been into that sort of thing.

Sorry to hear about your roof!

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    (((Allie:))) You’re alive and I am thrilled to be able to visit via myfitnesspal. I hope the medical team will be able to protect you from pneumonia and keep you going for a LONG time. Prayers for a good recovery. :heart:

Cheri: I am happy to see your post. :flowerforyou:

Rebecca: Wonderful photo! Your little boy has turned into a good man. You get the praise for being the best mom. :star:

:star: We hear fog horns on the river from commercial traffic. The fog is relatively light here compared to yesterday.

:star: I would have loved to go out to the stable today, but I’m not quite energetic to handle that, so here I stay. I am having fun decorating for Christmas.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon