WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    KJ - You work so hard. <3 I'm not at all surprised that sometimes you just have to let it all out. Sometimes we are just overwhelmed. It's a good lesson in how just being there for someone can be a great help. Men don't always understand that, because they want to 'fix' things. Sometimes we just need to sob and have someone be present with us.
    Perhaps you could think of some ways to 'refuel' yourself. You need to fill your own tank. <3 Take care of yourself so you can take care of others.
    Love you. :flowerforyou: (Wish I could be there to give you flowers in person)
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I had a nice chat with my girlfriend on the phone. I made her laugh a bit which is good.
    Just received from Amazon a phone stand. Very pleased with it. Don't know why I didn't get one ages ago! Great for cooking and playing my language videos if my tablet is elsewhere. It's foldable, so can take it anywhere. When I'm back on the trains it will be great for that.

Bananas - Sounds like you've had a bit of a spending spree. :D Sounds great. I use all my equipment every day plus dumbbells. This weather it's a life saver. Yes, it's very sad to see all our restaurants struggling. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

Heather, you sound like a good friend to the woman you chatted with. I could use a laugh! Yeah! really spending spree. The housing stuff (trundle bed, sheets, table, chairs, etc, about 900 and the stationary bike about 140. I just saw my bank had called and I thought maybe they were checking It was me, due to all the charging but no, it was for something else. :D

With my restaurant friend we split a bottle of wine, which is unusual for me, but I think she does that all the time. She is awesome but seemed really tired in a way.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    An interesting article for the addicts among us. Sugar? Alcohol? Carbs? Exercise? Sex? Facebook? Gaming? You name it. >:)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55221825

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Just taking a little break from goodie production, it’s just not working today. The adult salted caramel fudge did not taste like fish, but neither is it good. The caramel chips didn’t melt/incorporate and are hard and chewy. Then I put some pecans in the oven to toast but forgot to set the timer, yep, charred. Before I ruin a third thing, will finish wrapping the failed fudge (for the fire hall, those boys will eat it anyway) then go buy needed replacement supplies. Probably won’t try again 'til tomorrow.

Will read and catch up tonight.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I'm down to 169.6 today. Yay! It looks like the marching is helping. I put a kettlebell on the floor and alternately touch my toes to the top of it for fifteen minutes. Low impact, and it seems to suit my fitness level. I do that every other day, and I do a dumbbell workout in between days. I finally found some home pseudo cardio that doesn't kill my knee! Yay!

Annie in Delaware

Annie:

Sounds great you're doing low impact and this works well for you! Congrats on being 169.6!

When I work out too much - on those rare occasions - I get too sore and get inflammation so I believe that taking it easy and not hurting my body is the way to go for me. I lost a pound this morning too and am very happy!

charsuzy
    Washington state US
  • Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    (((Kelly))) hugs. I think sometimes we just don't know why. I think at times we get stretched a little thin.

Allie, my grandmother would have called KJ's experience a Godwink. I haven't heard that in so long. :-)

Katla, thank your husband for the suggestion of getting a handyman suggestion thru where I buy my electric range. Very good idea.

Christmas is in less than two weeks. It seems impossible. Kids won't travel to see us this Christmas. We all agree it would be too dangerous to travel with Covid surging both here in Washington and in Alaska. We will FaceTime and be satisfied.

Betsy in NW WA

• Katla49
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Betsy: We are like you. We will also FaceTime our adult kids and grandchildren. We’ll be satisfied with this until after we’ve had Covid vaccinations and feel that it is safe enough to go to see them in person. Our kids & grandchildren are in Virginia and Illinois.

We live beside the Columbia River on the Oregon side. This evening our city will host the annual Christmas Ships parade. The weather today has been great and the river is smooth. The “ships” are recreational boats owned by families and individuals. They come in a variety of sizes and are all decked out with light displays. A few local boats have participated a time or two, but the majority of boaters are from the Portland metro area. They have held parades in Portland, too. The fireworks were cancelled during the Fourth of July because dry conditions made it too risky, so the city 4th of July fireworks will be shot off at the end of the parade this evening when the boats are safely back at the docks. We plan to watch tonight's parade from our own windows.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Kelly - how incredibly kind of that woman. We need more like her in the world. I had a teary day all day Tuesday. My daughter told me, “sometimes you just need a good cry to be able to go on”.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    Options
    Machka: Great article.

Allie: Good to know that you are being taken care of, and following medical advice. 🤗

I’m normally an extrovert hugger, but I have been surprised that I haven’t missed close interaction (except with my girls/grands).

And I do have DH to keep me well hugged, so not feeling too deprived.

I may well have changed my attitude with this pandemic, but only time will tell.

I like the social distancing in our local stores. Mind you, I’m not exactly doing much retail therapy these days.

Kelly: I think we are suffering fatigue with the present situation. I have found myself tearing up for no apparent reason a couple of times recently. It’s a stress relief thing.

1 am so off to bed.

Take care, my beauties!

☘️ Terri
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Worked today. I was cleaning the registers and I was told that I should only clean the carts. To me, certain things should have been cleaned like the where you buy lottery tickets, the keypads, where you convert your change into cash, the kiosk where you input your phone number to get the store coupons. But it’s not for me to say. So I stayed outside and cleaned the carts. It really wasn’t all that bad since I could greet customers and still talk to them (oh, what happened, have a good day, etc). What’s going to happen when it gets real cold out, that I don’t know. I do know that I’m going to put some glycerin on my hands and then wear the plastic gloves.

Need to go to WalMart tomorrow. I totally forgot that I need to make something for our bowling party Monday I’m thinking that I’ll just get cheese cubes and I need to think of what kind of container I can put them in so a person just has to take the container. Update: the bowling party was cancelled so I don't need to get there early or bring something

Flea – when we got back to bowling in Sept. from March, you have no idea how hard it was for me not to hug people that I hadn’t seen in months. I kept having to hug myself to keep from hugging others

Annabananamc – welcome!

KJ – what a wonderful thing of that lady to do! God put her in that place to help you, I truly believe that

Made the sweet potato muffins for Colby and me to have this Saturday. Made crab cakes for Vince yesterday for us to have Saturday. I remember last year I froze flounder and when we fried it, it thawed out. This year in addition to the flounder I have whiting. I’m wondering if the same thing will happen – will it defrost when it’s fried? Well, I just might try one filet and see how it comes out

Pip – congrats on getting first place. You rock, running even tho you aren’t feeling well

I'll probably make more lemon bars tomorrow so I know we have enough for Friday night when Ken and Lynette are here and then for us for Saturday.

Michele NC
    Who isn’t used to having enough food for 4, I find that I need to go to the store more often
  • Katla49
    edited December 2020
    Options
    KJ: It sounds as though you were beyond tired and well into exhaustion. I hope you are able to get some rest. The woman who checked on you must have been your guardian angel for the day. :heart:

Betsy in NW WA: I passed your thanks along to DH and it pleased him. :smiley:

Pip: Congrats on placing first in your age group in the jingle bell run! WTG!!! :star:

Machka: A walk on a lovely beach is an exceptional treat. I enjoyed seeing your walk in the surf. I liked your photo and your DH’s, too. It was almost like being there myself. Sending a virtual hug to you for sharing the wonderful view. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Thinking of you. :heart:

This was the evening of the Christmas Ships parade in our part of the river. Some of the boaters were locals but there were many from Portland as well. It was fun to watch. There was talk about shooting off fireworks at the end of the parade as a sort of thank you, but I don’t think it actually happened. We certainly didn’t see or hear anything.

DH seems to be feeling tired, and not his usual self. I hope he gets good rest tonight and tomorrow is a better day for him.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: took BP, post office, Freddie’s, wrapped one batch fudge, paused production.
    Bonus: Chat with CD,
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, live stream church, zoom council meeting, W+M report, call R, Copy CPFA folder and deliver to Chief, Analyze CPFA folder, corrected roster to Cal-Or, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next Thursday at BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order.
    Do Good December
    12: Buy an extra item and donate it to the food bank: hmm notice I have some extra cans of tuna… might drop in the barrel at the Farmer’s market.

December is almost half gone. However did that happen ?!?

Rebecca, cute Christmas booties! Shadow would have stolen them off soon as they were out of the package ;)
    :cry: Charley Pride :cry:
    Heather, what you said about the true economic consequences of this pandemic. Like Machka I think IMHO the 20’s will be a rocky decade.
    Welcome @anabananamc Ann in FL. Choosing to “start today” and not wait, YES!
    Karen in VA LOL that meme! That’s what happens when I chew gum sweetened with Xylitol. Wonder if using Xlear would have the same “protective” effect? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Julie please don’t stress over responding to everyone, especially if you’ve been away for a few days. I’m happy to see you posting whenever. Glad you can share here, it’s a safe place for us to process, especially when we have to wait so long for additional health tests, information, diagnoses. Your apartment purchases sound just right. Bravissima for the gratitude list. That focus is key.
    Annie well done!
    Heather would you share a link to the phone stand? Something I’ve been needing. Interesting link to want vs like. Helps to understand my “visual” hunger for specific foods, and the success of out of sight, out of mind ;)
    Kelly sometimes our bodies just know when we need to cry/release, whether or not we’re conscious of a trigger. ((hugs)) and thankful your guardian angel came in the guise of a patient, present woman and not Mr. Fixit.
    Charsuzy in WA Con Grats on taking off that pound!
    Pip you are amazing. First place in your group despite icky tummy. VERY well done!
    Machka :love: the beach pics, just the warm sunny view I need tonight where its windy, chilly and raining.

Joe took Shadow on a further hike this morning. Good for both of them and I’m grateful. Suspect Joe’s looking ahead to his annual blood work next week, but I’ll take it regardless of the motivation.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 10, weigh: 12, steps>5505=3509 so far vits=12 log=12 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=10 mfp=12 outside=8 up hill=8
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx= dance= clean 30 mins=1.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=7 play=0 sew=0

• cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Barbara - mine is a Lamical phone stand. UK and US Amazon are different. I love mine. There are loads out there in different finishes.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx