What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Options

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Sashimi, bacon wrapped anything (yuck), gluten free anything.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cloud bread.

Just no :/
  • gracegettingittogether
    gracegettingittogether Posts: 176 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yeah, I can’t stand slimy textures, no matter how desirable it is in other cultures. Caviar and bubble tea, while favorites in other cultures are firmly out of the question for me!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yeah, I can’t stand slimy textures, no matter how desirable it is in other cultures. Caviar and bubble tea, while favorites in other cultures are firmly out of the question for me!

Same, I cant do tapioca pudding either because of the texture.
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    Cloud bread.

same
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Also, nut "milks".
    I'm glad they exist for people who can't or don't want to eat dairy.
    But since I'm not in either of those categories, I'll pass.

I agree with your definition of trendy, but my general impression is that milk subs generally (including nut milks) aren't all that trendy now (vs a few years ago). Oatmilk seems like the trendy thing now.

I am not adverse to trying it -- if offered it, I would drink some -- but given that I like homemade cashew milk for the fact that it includes cashews and thus is a decent way to add fat/creaminess to a soup or smoothie when I don't have milk (which I rarely do) or yogurt, and I like actual milk or soy for the protein, oatmilk just seems unlikely to meet my nutritional preferences.

But I'm someone who rarely uses and doesn't drink milk (not for any anti dairy reasons).
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Overnight Oats - whilst hot oats are good & comforting, but not especially filling for me, the thought of cold gloopy gelatinous carbs just does not do it for me!

Yeah, agree. That oatmeal is hot, or at least warm, is the main reason I like it. I'm also someone who prefers steel cut and barely tolerates other types of oatmeal because I prefer the texture of steel cut.
    Oh and Chia Pudding and Bubble Tea! Both pretty grim in concept!

Texture is as important as flavour for me.

I care about texture too, but oddly enough (and I accept it might be odd), I find the texture of both of these (also tapioca pudding) to be positives.

I never order bubble tea because the calories usually aren't worth it for me given everything else that I would be eating in the same meal, but not because I don't enjoy it. I do on rare occasion make chia pudding. (On the trendy or not question, I'd say chia pudding and chia seeds generally may still be trendy, but I don't think bubble tea ever was, at least not where I've lived.)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    The sound of raindrop cake doesn't appeal to me.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raindrop_cake
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Cronuts
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

I'd never heard of that one. That's . . . hmm . . . interesting. 😉
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options

Same, I cant do tapioca pudding either because of the texture.
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    Cloud bread.

same

i actually love cloud bread lol
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    How can you not like bacon wrapped things 😲 I am offended 😄
  • nooshi713
    Options

Bacon/pork is disgusting
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Yeah, I can pass.
  • nooshi713
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Bacon/pork is disgusting

I liked pork (before becoming vegetarian in !1974!), more than other meats, mostly the non-smoked types (side pork > bacon). Bacon is seriously over-rated these days IMO (even if I still ate it), especially bacon-flavored everything: Bacon chocolate, bacon martinis, bacon-wrapped everthing no matter whether sensible or not. Tooooo much.

I agree. I used to eat meat and loved the taste of beef, chicken, lamb, and goat but pork was absolutely gross to me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Bacon/pork is disgusting

I liked pork (before becoming vegetarian in !1974!), more than other meats, mostly the non-smoked types (side pork > bacon). Bacon is seriously over-rated these days IMO (even if I still ate it), especially bacon-flavored everything: Bacon chocolate, bacon martinis, bacon-wrapped everthing no matter whether sensible or not. Tooooo much.

I agree. I used to eat meat and loved the taste of beef, chicken, lamb, and goat but pork was absolutely gross to me.

I was never a big fan of goat or lamb - something about th flavor, dunno. The others are OK, along with venison, squirrel, rabbit. (Grew up in the country, amongst hunters). There are lots of semi-common culinary mammals I've never had: Woodchuck/groundhog, bear, etc.

I was never *passionately* fond of meat, which was part of my becoming vegetarian. I liked non-smoked pork pretty well (especially side pork), a good steak likewise, the outsides of chickens (didn't like giblets) OK enough, etc. But little of it was super tempting. Side pork and steak were the more difficult to leave behind for me, but not all that difficult (obviously). 🤷‍♀️