WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    I love the classics. I used to spend New Year's Eve at home watching them with my cats. It was very nice. Danny Kaye is one of my favorites too, as are Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

Tina
    Audrey Hepburn is wonderful in that westeren with John Wayne, "Rooster Cogburn", and of course so endearing with Peter Fonda in "On Golden Pond". I have a tendency to watch movies over and over, like a good book, but for your eyeballs:-)

That was Katherine Hepburn, I believe. But I agree on watching over and over. It's a treat.

You are Correct, Audrey Hepburn is so different from Katherine Hepburn, :-) oopsy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka and Pip—Thought of you with this.
    mion34uq3j29.jpeg

Tina

I like it!

Me too! :)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Ok I need more plastic containers, husband and I aren't eating our food quick enough! Actually, I make enough for two servings, and I seem to eat my husbands meal the next day. Maybe it will get to the point where I eat it at lunch time and husband eats the leftovers!
    Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    It is going to be great to drive a car that is basically brand new and not have to worry, especially when I am making the extra trips to see my parents like I am planning on doing.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Congratulations! :)

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much. :):)

I think this is probably the best photo of my husband and me today ...

gpx0vuluvu0k.png

M in Oz

Awesome! Lovely picture. Congratulations!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Good evening all:

Caught up reading the last couple of days-it is becoming a Friday wind down habit!

SuziQI will be interested to hear how you handle the gathering-I probably wouldn't go, or if I did, take my own beverage and just drop in for a short time.

Allie-glad you are resting. We only got about an inch of snow here in Ohio, but it certainly seems like the east coast made up for it.

Julie-if the table isn't too far off, could you perhaps put some felt or cork on the leg cut to the shape to level it out? I would try something like that if return is a hassle. That is the problem with some of the on-line furniture. Your idea of hiring someone to help is a good one. I can put most things together, but it is difficult at times without another set of hands.

Machka-Congratualtions! You look very happy and your husband looks to be bursting with pride!

Debbie-nice car! Nothing wrong with the lease turn ins, especially with some brands and low mileage they aren't really broken in yet.

Heather-glad you got your grand daughter's present worked out. I sent my grandkids presents to their house well ahead of time. If something got messed up with adult presents arriving, I can deal with that, but I would hate to mess up with the grandkids.

Food pantry last night. It was snowing lightly the whole time. After I got home from that our choir had a zoom party. It was nice seeing everyone and getting caught up. Took most of today off (have to use vacation time or lose it). Got in a good workout at gym.

Had several sneezing bouts today and feel like a cold may be coming on. Of course, these days you feel strange you worry about Covid. I'll just wait and see. If nothing tomorrow, could just be some allergy symptoms.

In terms of vaccines here, I am not certain that after hospital workers and those in nursing homes how well other groups will be broken down other than by age. It would be very difficult to separate everyone out. Perhaps there will be something for doctor's to provide that could bump a younger person with significant health issues ahead. I am 66 and would fall into the "old group" that may come after medical personnel, emts, nursing homes, etc. but would not fight if someone younger with serious health issues got in line before me. I guess I will just sign up when they say I am eligible.

Got bone density scan today. Haven't had one for awhile. Since I have had both hips replaced they did my spine and my forearm. Have to stop by gyn office next week to pick up pessary-hopefully they have results then. Getting second shingles vaccine in between Christmas and New Years-health things should be taken care of.

Off to watch some Ancient Aliens and get a good night's sleep.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    I don't know how long I will continue to participate in the message boards because I will have to guard every word and I have no way to report mass anonymous disagrees. I have no recourse against anonymous attacks and participate in fear of banishment should I slip up just once and get flagged by those that will follow my post unidentified.

The reason for the disagree being installed was ...

Disagree is not an attack. We all have things we disagree on. It is a polite way to say, "Sorry, but I disagree with that." Disagrees are not held against you. You won't be banned from the forum if someone disagrees with you. I have 148 of the things and that's OK. :)

As as for the reason it was installed ... you might like to read this thread.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623894/the-origin-and-meaning-of-woo/p1

It is 20 pages long, but it explains.

Also:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10759847/woo-be-gone#latest

Flags, on the other hand, are different. You can be banned if you get some of those.

But basically, if you want to talk about controversial topics, expect disagrees.

If you say things that violate the ... here it comes, my 149th disagree :lol: ... Community Guidelines, you may get warnings or flags.

I notice that your post(s) (which resulted in all the disagrees you mention) in MFP Suggestions/Feedback have been deleted.

Katla49 wrote: »
    Faetta: I may have been at fault with the disagree button, but did not do it on purpose. My hand twitched at just the wrong time. I am sorry if it caused you sadness or embarrassment. I was not able to undo it. I tried without success. I certainly did not do it on purpose. :embarassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

If you couldn't undo it by clicking Disagree a second time, then you didn't select the Disagree in the first place.

Faetta wrote: »
    I refuse to accept the nonownership of negative actions

I made a post in good faith about the disagree button and my disagrees jumped from 12 to 32 overnight. I received a couple of patronizing and insulting responses to which I answered in general, labeling the kind of people that would participate in such behavior. This was a violation of the strict forum rule about negative labeling even though it was in general and to no one personally. I received a warning.

My land!! I do not believe any of those disagrees were from regular contributors here. I have to believe you were being trolled by someone (some people) who do not regularly participate in this particular thread. I know the women in this group, not super well, but I have participated for a few years now, and I can say confidently that they would never do that. This is a very supportive thread, even when we don't agree about everything. No one would purposefully hurt another person, and 32 disagrees is purposeful, in my opinion, which makes me think that they are from trolls.

<hugs> Fae.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

The disagrees she is referring to didn't happen in this thread. They happened in response to her post(s) (which resulted in all the disagrees you mention) in MFP Suggestions/Feedback which have since been deleted.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited December 2020
    Options
    My dad got hacked by ransomware and he gave his banking info to the "tech support" number that showed up. I got him to call the bank but they wanted a password that he doesn't have so they wouldn't talk to him. We are so vulnerable and now he feels bad so he is hoping the whole thing will blow over. My stomach is in knots. This part of caregiving is terrifying.

Can you go to the bank in person?

Also, you need to call the police and report it.

M in Oz
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

The disagrees she is referring to didn't happen in this thread. They happened in response to her post(s) (which resulted in all the disagrees you mention) in MFP Suggestions/Feedback which have since been deleted.

M in Oz

Ah! I see. I misunderstood. I didn't know about the other post. I didn't think anyone would get that many disagrees in this forum. Like many others, I don't frequent any other forums in MFP.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Question for Faetta or Machka or anybody else who may know: how do you know how many disagrees you have? Do they count your hugs and likes for you, too?

Thanks to all who gave well wishes for my mom. Hopefully time will heal her.
  • Machka9
    edited December 2020
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Question for Faetta or Machka or anybody else who may know: how do you know how many disagrees you have? Do they count your hugs and likes for you, too?

Thanks to all who gave well wishes for my mom. Hopefully time will heal her.

Click on the notification bell and go down to where it says "All Notifications".

jyve9mz0aiq9.png

Another page will open and at the top it will show you how many hugs, likes, disagrees, etc. etc. you have. It's just a notification ... it doesn't mean anything. No one is counting them up for a purpose. These are just stats that they can record and so they opt to show you, if you're interested.

Here are mine as of right now ...

5tlp16u7cqo4.png

M in Oz

Ah! I see. I misunderstood. I didn't know about the other post. I didn't think anyone would get that many disagrees in this forum. Like many others, I don't frequent any other forums in MFP.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

No, no one in this thread has that many disgrees. :)

Elsewhere in the forum they might, but not here in these WOMEN AGES 50+ threads.

I hope no one here felt blamed or at fault!

<3

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 15min 34sec, 181elev, 3.57ap, 134mhr, 8.11mi= didn’t record all the way
    Strava app = 982c
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: You look delighted and gorgeous. Congratulations!❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Well, we made progress. Called the bank back, started with the words "fraud scam" and got the account frozen. Then we called my Dad's real tech support, and they convinced him to rescan his computer and not to call back the scammers. So we have a fighting chance now. Kudos to Steven who pushed me into confronting my Dad instead of letting the whole thing be.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Options
    Well, we made progress. Called the bank back, started with the words "fraud scam" and got the account frozen. Then we called my Dad's real tech support, and they convinced him to rescan his computer and not to call back the scammers. So we have a fighting chance now. Kudos to Steven who pushed me into confronting my Dad instead of letting the whole thing be.

Annie in Delaware

Glad to hear it! You still need to contact the police though. They need to be made aware of this so that they can have a fighting chance of shutting people who do that sort of thing down. If people remain silent, they can't do anything at all.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump video today. Ken & Lynette are coming over for dinner, I’m just going to make a lasagna. Then TSO is going to have a video stream concert so we’re going to watch it. Know how I used to go every year? Well, this will just have to do. It’s certainly better than nothing.

I have been trying to wear my boot less and less in the house mainly so that I get used to bending my ankle and toes again when I walk. I usually wear it at work since I’m on my feet so much. I think I may wear it tonight.

Speaking of work. This should be interesting. I need to run to Food Lion before the soup kitchen. I guess I’ll see how “important” the job I do is – will they have someone there when I’m not? If they do, will that person be outside? When I worked yesterday, it, literally, took me until around 5 to warm up totally.

Exercised, then made chocolate bran muffins now having a piece of sourdough bread. I do wish that I’d softened the butter, but oh well..

Debbie CA – fabulous new car. Congrats! I always like 4 door cars that have a “sporty” look

M – doing a happy dance for you. Fantastic to watch while eating my sourdough bread. You looked wonderful! You’ve overcome some so much to get to this point. What an inspiration you are! Yes, that is where the bike path is in the museum. I would have had to look it up. I thought at first that it was the Louvre

Kate UK – I’m one of those that almost never uses those buttons on the bottom of the posts. Another reason is because many times the posts are mentioning different things and you’d have no idea what thing they were “liking”

Barbara – I really don’t know how much longer I will work. I’m thinking that every time I turn around, there’ll be something else that I’ll want done. I also want things like new chairs for the counter. The ones Vince wanted are stained and I really don’t want to be bothered recovering them. Also, when my mother died, she left me this really nice diamond watch. Well, 60 years ago watches were a big thing (she’s been dead over 50 years). I would like to have that link where the watch is taken out and a new link made to go there. They can use the diamonds in the watch link. And I know that having a piece of jewelry custom made is going to be expensive. Another thing – the automatic start on the bbq doesn’t work. Vince will use a match to light it, but there’s no way I will. He’s (for some reason) been resistant to getting it fixed yet he can’t find a utube video for that exact same bbq. I would like to get that fixed so I can bbq. I would do it early in the day before it gets too hot. I know Vince doesn’t like the heat. Good luck to Joe!

Barbie – It’s not so much that I NEED to work. I feel very blessed in that I know that I’ll do my best and if that isn’t good enough, so be it. The mortgage will still get paid, the food will still be bought. There are some things that I’d like. But if I don’t have them, I certainly won’t fall apart. I really do enjoy talking to people. With this pandemic and all the “stay at home”, this being able to interact with people is good for me. I just get unhappy about this recent development where I’m supposed to have the customer see me cleaning carts. I don’t mind being outside, but I do mind being outside in the cold. In some ways, this being outside is a blessing in disguise for me since I still have interaction with the customer but for even less time. There are some people who are so very nice. Of course, there are those people who just ignore you so I just say “have a good day” and let it run off my shoulders. Today I had to go to Food Lion to get some oranges for our Christmas tomorrow. The girl who was doing my job was inside the whole time. I never saw her once clean a cart. The only thing I saw her do is go outside to get a cart to give someone and then come back in the store. Well, one set of workplace requirements for one person and one set for another person – isn’t that discrimination? So I’ll just stand inside Monday

Fae – dear (((HUGS)))

Anne – I agree with Tina. Don’t drop this. Document, document, document. Go up and up and up the ladder to speak to someone, but don’t let this go.

Allie – I didn’t realize that you were on a blood thinner! Is this recent?

Came home from the soup kitchen today and Jess announces to me that Amanda and Andy are coming (Amanda is her friend from VA who moved down here). I did invite them for tomorrow but Amanda never got back to me. Since Andy had a kidney transplant and his mom (who lives with them) is over 65, I figured they felt uncomfortable so I didn’t push the matter any. Ken and Lynette are supposed to be here for dinner. Now I’m hoping I have enough food for everyone. And are Amanda and Andy coming for dinner? What time are they going to be here? Jess just said “after work”. I don’t think we should be eating when they come. Well, what will be will be. Thinking of Heather who this would really bother. I’m somewhat annoyed, but we’ll manage. I just like to have things done ahead of time and they won’t be . My concern is "do we have enough food". Jess' answer is "of course, this is you ma". Great.

Rebecca – for a few years I sent out my Christmas cards in January. In a way I prefer to get cards then. It seems that in December you are so rushed that you really don’t get a chance to fully appreciate the cards. But things die down in January, almost a lull, so it’s nice to get a “picker-upper”. Plus…sometimes (especially when the kids were little) things were rushed around the holidays and this was one less thing I had to do before Christmas.

Flea – you got me thinking now. I’ve denied guys as friends. I’ve never even looked to see if any of my posts got a “disagree”. Maybe some of those guys did and I didn’t even know it???? I’ll have to check sometime (that is…IF I remember to do it….lol)

Heather – I’m so glad Johnny called his aunt!

M – you have 148 disagrees???? Wonder how many I have???? Wow! I have 17 disagrees!!! Wonder what for??? Whatever….. I don’t even know what half of those badges mean (not that I really care, either)

Watched the TSO livestream. It really wasn’t a livestream. It was prerecorded. Honestly, I was disappointed. I was expecting at least what a concert is like. There wasn’t any video in the background, no pyrotechnics, and it kept freezing. Many many times we had to pause the stream then start it up. It’s available until midnight Sun so we’re thinking that we’ll watch it again, and hopefully it’ll be better because not so many people will be on at that time. And the quality of the picture was pretty poor. Like at the end they listed the names in the credits. Well, there was only a candle in the background and it wasn’t even flickering, just still. So it was just the text. But at one point it got so fuzzy you almost couldn’t read it, then it cleared up. I bet the company who put it out gets an earful!

Amanda and andy came over. We had enough food but just barely. Jess did help a lot. It was very nice to see them. They stayed until about 11. I went downstairs to watch the livestream and they stayed upstairs where I know they wanted to visit with Jess and Colby. Evidently, Jess mentioned that they’re still considering if they’re going to go to Idaho or not. Amanda said that Jess secretly hopes they don’t, too. I thought she was the one pushing this, not Colby. I mentioned that deep inside I did hope they don’t go since they’ll be in an airport and on an airplane but that I wasn’t about to say anything to them one way or the other.

Now going to get to bed.

Michele NC
    Who just realized that she forgot to get potatoes for tomorrow night so she may have to go to Food Lion for them and milk.