Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Guess who has been helping daddy with the chocolate sauce. :D<3

97z1drvq8c9p.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

There is so much I love about this picture.

Bea’s chocolatey mouth and sweet grin, her messy hair, and her leggings with hearts on them.

Edie’s feet and flying hair mysteriously appearing there at the edge of the photo
    (is she kneeling with her feet tucked under? Tossing her head? Why is she on that little table? and who are the plushies nearby?)

The refrigerator door in the background wide open. :D

love love love

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) Today is the annual check up and cleaning for our furnace/heat pump. It will be great going into the coldest time of the year knowing that the furnace is in good condition. We have dealt with this company for years so I feel confident that they'll be extra careful when they have to come into the house to check the registers.

:)Heather, I hope all your planning will result in holiday events that are happy occasions for you.

:)Machka, your graduation photos are lovely.

:)SuziQ Your holiday meal sounds great.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    The King’s College program is on!!!

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @Heather I love the cake

SuziQ113 wrote: »
    O, holy night. The stars are brightly shining. ….
    Bananas – Modest means. I agree. SFL is one of those places where everyone tries to outdo each other. The bigger the façade the better. It makes it a little challenging navigating. Next year it is one of my goals to get more involved with volunteering and build my network through organizations I support and will be able to devote more time to once I am able to retire. I am so happy you are freshening up your abode. I am sure it has done a lot to lift your spirits. Sorry to hear about your friend’s visit and her long trip home.
    r mood. I completely understand. I am halfway there this year. I think your health issue has put a damper on things. From the quick research I did it appears if amenorrhea can decrease the production of certain hormones which causes other issues. But only happens in a very small percentage of those getting an ablation. I am sure your doctor is being overly cautious and wants to be sure you understand no procedure is without risk.??
    Suzi, even so, there must be many people who don't have big means and might be open to downscaling. OR if people want to outdo themselves one can outdo in being conscientious consumer. Even having a coffee in a coffee shop (which I do regularly when they are open) uses more energy than fixing it at home (the space has to be maintained, the servers have to travel daily to the place etc. There must be some ecologically minded people who are interested in consuming less. Some of the more well-off people I know tend to be really frugal in some areas, often because they used to not be well-off. It is still possible to get involved, and develop network: online, zoom meetings or giving some time live, as you feel comfortable. I got very involved in a collective during end of lockdown one. We had online meetings. After some weeks or months I suggested live meeting with one person I was working a lot with. And we all only met 1x in September, a month or so before 2nd lockdown... We've exchanged tons, and very occasional IRL (in real life), so it's possible.

@Machka9 those are some good common sense suggestions!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Karen - It is only a recording this year. I heard on the radio this morning and it stopped my exercise in its tracks!!!! I guess they had to send the boys home early for Christmas with all the restrictions. Normally the parents pick them up afterwards.
    I hope you will join in with the singing gustily!!!

Edie is kneeling on a bench in front of the kitchen table. The animal is one of those that speaks phrases and sings lullabies. We have changed our plans and are going to Zoom them tomorrow as they are sad that they won't have any grandparents. They haven't got the test results yet, but they seem pretty resigned. So the other grandparents won't be coming unless there's good news.

Carol - That is a traditional UK rich fruit Christmas cake, which would be easy to Google. Delia Smith is good, though mine is from a book, Cakes for Romantic Occasions. Then it has a layer of marzipan all over and then royal icing, again Delia. DH made the marzipan himself. :o

Nearly time for 9 Lessons! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    KJ,

I love the story of your mom seeing your son before her passing. I think you posted it last year and I had forgotten it. Such a lovely life story. :heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Happy Xmas eve to all
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy Christmas for those on the other side of the international date line and are already celebrating Christmas. Happy Christmas Eve Morning for those in the US and Canada! My coffee is just about done brewing.

I am planning to buy myself a new facemask for Christmas. The elastic that goes around my ears on the one I have been using and enjoying for many months is all stretched out & now useless. There is a shop in town where I can buy a replacement. I do not plan to ask my friend who generously made masks for my famiiy to do just one more on Christmas Eve Day.

At 7:06 AM, the sun is just beginning to rise from the east side of the river. Today’s sunrise is gorgeous! It feels like a gift. I am looking forward to days lengthening for the next 6 months. :star:

I am having my morning coffee. DH and the dog are sleeping in.

Katla –early on Christmas Eve Morning in Beautiful NW Oregon.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️💜💚🤍🤎🧡💙🖤
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Wishing all my dear friends here a very Merry Christmas (for those who celebrate) a very Happy Hanukah (again, for those who celebrate) and a very enjoyable holiday season for everyone.
    Heather, LOVE the photo of your son and grands, he does look tired, but the satisfied tired one gets after a job well done! And Bea after helping with the chocolate..... oh my! I do hope they just have a head cold and not the virus.
    Kelly, I read your birthday story last year and tears came to my eyes, I had forgotten it and of course it brought tears to my eyes again. I believe that your mom did see your son in your arms, what a timely and lovely gift.
    That's all I can remember now. My hope for everyone is for a happy and healthy holiday season!
    Hugs for those who need them (and I know several on here need at least one!), congrats to those celebrating and welcome to any newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    KJ: Congrats on a vacation until January 4! I don’t know of anyone more deserving of rest. Sleeping in is an excellent start. :star:

Heather: Bea is the cutest little girl! Zoom has become a part of our lives, too. We visit our daughter’s family via zoom, and our son’s family via facetime. Our daughter and her family are in Illinois, our son and his family are in Virginia, and we are in Oregon. We live so far away, and I am thrilled that technology is helping us stay in touch with those we love. :heart:

Annie in DE: (((HUGS))): --For both you and your mom. :flowerforyou:

Peach: What a lovely Christmas Eve card. Merry Christmas Eve to you, too. :star:

Evie: Sending good Christmas & holiday wishes back to you, too. :heart:

This morning we have had our first hard frost of the season. It is beautiful outside, but the deck is slippery—an understatement. Our dog slipped out there and hurt his hip. I’ve given him half a pain pill and he is resting now. I won’t be putting him outside on the deck until the ice is gone. He can go out the front door, instead. It isn’t nearly as slippery. I worry about DH & myself, too. Slipping on ice is not fun. In years past I broke both of my wrists in separate falls caused by unseen ice.

Katla in frosty NW Oregon
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @cityjanelondon Heather, thank you so much. The Festival of 9 lessons and carols sent chills up and down my back. What a lovely way to begin the holiday. Think I'll try to watch this too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qrxc

Lighter,
    Barbara
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    KJ - I love your miracle story. I remember it well. <3 How wonderful.
    I've told my own miracle story about the 9 Lessons and Carols when my crying all through the service in London resulted in my SIL in Southampton going round to ask my poor, rejected mum to Christmas tea.
    Listening just now to the service reminded me of all that.
    The fact that I am an atheist doesn't stop me loving a good miracle. <3

Fish soup tonight with tilapia and King prawns. Might watch "It's A Wonderful Life ". :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    If anyone is interested, I found my great-grandmother's mince meat pie recipe. So savory!
    3lb ground venison or beef
    1lb beef suet
    12lb chopped apples
    2lb raisins
    2cup white sugar
    2cup brown sugar
    1lb candied fruit
    2T cinnamon
    1T cloves
    2Tsalt
    1lb currants
    juice of 3 lemons
    1 pint vinegar
    1/2lb candied cherries
    Cover with apple cider and cook for 1 hour

Can or freeze - 1 pint per pie

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    That sounds very good! Had to look up suet!

Carol in GA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, dogs to powerline, 11 mins Leslie Sansome
    Bonus: pickup car, Farmers’ Market, Post Office, lights and half ornaments onto tiny tree.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R, corrected roster to Cal-Or, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???,
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order.
    Do Good December
    24: Bring joy to others, share something that made you laugh: find something for T and R.
    Julie “ . . .physical activity yesterday tired me and also made me sleep rather well. I generally feel more up beat after going for even a tiny walk.” True for me too.
    Kate, Heather, Terri all in the UK :cry: Please consider adding gargling with Listerine Cool Mint (or probably anything including hot salt water and lemon juice) to taking extra Vitamin D and Zinc to minimize viral load. Good riddance to 2020.
    Debby in VA glad to hear you and your neighbors have veggies and meat to sell. Gorgeous tree.
    Karen in VA stunning pics gave me a pang of homesickness for the Bay Area of 40 years ago… :love: the sunlit quail.
    Machka like your stars!
    Sharon hoping your date lifts your spirits.
    Tina fingers X’d for a favorable EKG. Do you have to have one before the procedure?
    Rita ((hugs))
    Flea those displays are like what our Nature’s Coastal Holiday were at Azalea Park, pre-plague. Now many of the displays have been set up along highway 101, and are uplifting to drive by, but I miss strolling through the park. Also miss rounding out the night with an adult hot cocoa at O’Hollerans, a local restaurant and lounge, always decorated to the max, but now plague closed. Love your decorations but not so sure about the ornament… :laugh:
    Debbie thanks so much for the sneak-a-little-brown rice-or-cauliflower into Joe’s white rice hint. That I can do!
    Allie brava for keeping up with the PT and hooray for the shower!
    Michele the ornament debacle was an incident from my childhood that grieved me to this day. Prying my mental fingers off of it, trying to breathe and let it go… Thanks for the tips about the chocolate zucchini bread. Dug out your chocolate bran muffin recipe, will make it for him tomorrow.
    Rebecca does your Chief always make up the menu plan? Wow!
    Katla this afternoon both Joe and I started to take the dogs down the drive at the same time. When he saw me, he tried to bow out, but I gently suggested we walk together. He was reluctant, it was cold, he didn’t want to… but he did! We didn’t stay long, I didn’t want to push my luck, but I was so proud of him!
    Kay can you tip your recliner over to look under it on the floor for your splint? Of course you’ve already looked in the washing machine, dryer, hamper, bathroom wastebasket, behind the toilet… could it have caught on a towel after you washed your hands?
    Ginny you encourage me to get the Shingles shot. Would you let me know how long the muscle soreness and other side effects last?

At 07:00 am plan to listen to the King’s College service, thanks Heather. Then finish the tree, wrap Joe’s and the dogs' gifts and put under.

Ah, Joe’s gifts. Won’t be giving him the peanut brittle I get him every year, nor the favorite brandy I found at the liquor store last week. Those are going into hiding until his fasting glucose is below 100. A can of mixed nuts, a bag of pine nuts, and a David Bowie tribute magazine is it. Otherwise, we’re swapping expense of his freezer for my new kitchen faucet, a wash. Then I’ll try making some of Debbie in Napa’s sneaky fried rice to go with some stir fried pork and kung pao cauliflower.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh: 23, steps>5505=6394 vits=23 log=23 CI<CO=22 CI<250<CO=16 Tumble & Shadow 5=19 mfp=23 outside=13 up hill=13
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=3 dance= clean 30 mins=4.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0 bonus: AF=15 play=0 sew=0

I bet he won't even notice the addition to his rice. Mine will know something is different if I DON"T put it in now. It really is good and I will get to have a nice size serving when I do add it, and not feel guilt.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA