WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Sandra142u
    Sandra142u Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Debbie, always take some time for yourself and your parents. It sounds like you have a wise plan, divide and conquer some of those challenges. Then celebrate together.

When things happen I try to remember to keep my bucket full. You can only give so much to others when you have filled up your bucket with things that make you feel good. So do the things that make you feel great!

So good you walk with friend regularly. I have to get a bit fitter to be able to not slow mine down.
  • Sandra142u
    Sandra142u Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If anyone is looking for something to break through that point where you plateau. Try reading The Calorie Myth, it taught me how to change my metabolism from fat storing to fat burning, about 3 years ago when I turned 50. The food strategies are brilliant, eating food that burns more calories to digest. I was able to get 8 kg about 18lbs below the limit I would bottom out at for about 10 years.

The things I wouldn’t do now is weight train to the edge of my limit without building up my joint strength under medical guidance first. I hope to steadily build up with bands at home, using past recommendations then check in with GP and Physio in NewYear.

I only have 25% strength in right arm after a work accident. If I work really diligently, I can build it up to about 50% in 6 months to a year again, but I will never be able to dive in or freestyle swim again ( my past weight loss go to). So slow and steady, how patient we have to be in our 50’s!

When I first read Jonathan Bailor it was called the “ Smarter Science of Slim”, based off 1000’s of articles he had studied for I think it was a thesis. It has now built into a huge range of products, cook books etc. I think the book is the best, then adjust or substitute to help.

If I can motivate myself I go with the 5/2 strategy, 5 days careful eating and two days with a few treats or unhealthy splurges out with friends or visiting.

Good luck and let me know what you think.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Watched Auntie Mame this evening, one of my favorites, ever. My adult children set this up and it was wonderful. I am grateful to my daughter & my son. What an amazing surprise!🥰
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, dogs to powerline, 15 mins Leslie Sansome
    Bonus: Tried “Get it!” (Go Sniff) with Tumble, hasn’t got it yet, but my timing is getting better so I’m hopeful, Freddie's, gas.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R, corrected roster to Cal-Or, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 19, submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???,
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order. Monday: pickup library book.
    Do Good December
    26: Get outside, pick up litter, do something kind for nature: got outside but no litter found ;)

Julie thanks for the recommendation. Ordered some seam sealer and waterproofing spray. Thankful not to have to throw the slicker away. Thank you and ((hugs)). I used to walk alone in the forest in Idaho and California. Wouldn’t do it today. Thankful our land is wooded and I can walk alone there with the dogs, safe from people, if not from wildlife. Hope you have no pain until you can get that molar fixed.
    Heather Thanks! The brand I bought is Grangers, only available from the Amazon UK global store. Looked there for the Torres Natureo but alas, not yet. ;} Back in Idaho there was a big fundraiser called the “polar bear challenge” where people gathered at the reservoir and actually jumped in, some even swam. Brrr!
    Allie happy to hear you’re feeling ready to return home.
    Flea smh at your niece and her unhealthy choice to forego testing in favor of boyfriend visiting. Aaugh! Holding good thoughts for your Mom.
    Katla hummingbird/Christmas camellia made me smile. Auntie Mame (with RR) is one of my all time favorite feel-good movies.
    Beth Brr! Any reason not to call the pool cover company now?
    Rebecca :love: your gnome. Must keep in mind for my friend T who makes and collects ‘em.
    Michele please be careful with your foot. Remember Rori had broken foot/ankle? pain issues for months and months without good healing. Just plain TrueLemon (and TrueLime) are great. Anything with stevia is NOT, imho.
    Sue in WA :love: Nessa in the snow!
    Machka your Christmas sounds like ours except no family Skype and just a few presents (magazine & mixed nuts for Joe, red wine for me, a squeaky dolly for each Tumble and Shadow. Most restful Christmas ever.
    Welcome @Sandra142u. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? This is a safe place to vent and the gals here are wise and compassionate. Your 4 contracted steps sound just right. You can do this, with or without your family’s support. Brava for the first 10 minutes! Every journey starts…
    Debbie in Napa I am so sorry to hear of how toxic your MIL is, how she hurts her son and you. I have no magic fix, no suggestions for your DH, just prayers for you and your family. Your thought to go by yourself to your parents next Christmas, removing any pressure your DH might feel to leave his mother, might be a healthy boundary for you to set.

Joe took Shadow to the beach today. I am so very very thankful he’s feeling better. I’ll keep working with Tumble and maybe one day, when the early mornings are lighter, we can go back to the beach together.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 24, weigh: 26, steps>5505=5734 vits=26 log=26 CI<CO=25 CI<250<CO=18 Tumble & Shadow 5=22 mfp=26 outside=16 up hill=16
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=3 dance= clean 30 mins=6.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0 bonus: AF=15 play=0 sew=0

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,116 Member
    Options
    Flea: I’m keeping you and your mother in my thoughts. She’s in the right place. 🤬that niece! How thoughtless!!!

Christmas has been so different, but enjoyable nonetheless. Our family had already chosen to stay safe so the hastily imposed restrictions (only allowed to meet for 1 day over Christmas) due to worsening covid figures here didn’t affect our plans.

We celebrated together outdoors on a beautiful Christmas Eve afternoon with a walk, then mulled wine and festive goodies. It was so good to see everyone even though we couldn’t hug.

Christmas Morning we had a Skype gift opening party. We had dinner with DYD at the far end of our dining room table. She is our support bubble.

I am grateful that we are all safe and well. A little separation is a small price to pay for that blessing.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    This is the niece who had symptoms a few weeks ago and scheduled a test but then cancelled the test because her boyfriend said, "If you test positive, I won't be able to come see you for two weeks."

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Of course, that's not true. But perhaps he doesn't know that??

When you get tested, you need to self-isolate until you get your test results back ... here that's about 48 hours.

If you test negative, you're good to go.

If you test positive, authorities will come to your door and transport you safely to a quarantine ward at the hospital where you will remain until you get well or die. That might be 2 weeks ... or 3 weeks ... or more. During that time, you will not be seen by any family, friends, etc.

Meanwhile, authorities will start contact tracing. Everyone you've had contact with in the previous couple weeks will have to be found and tested.

The two week thing was before testing was so prevalent. Back then, if you'd been in contact with someone who had tested positive, you were to wait 14 days to see if you developed symptoms. Now you go and get a test.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-covid-19#how-to-seek-medical-attention

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hello everyone.

As the year is drawing to a close I am counting my 2020 blessings. I am so very fortunate to have remained working through 2020, I have roof over my head which will soon be completely transformed on the outside, I am healthy, my financial mess is slowing but surely getting cleaned up and paid off, I also bought myself a new car and I have had all of you to share my triumphs and drawbacks throughout the year.

Yesterday I had written I was going to do some light cleaning and putting away of some Christmas decorations (ha). After signing off with everyone my plan took a detour thinking about my 2021 goals which turned in to a 2020 financial review. I am happy to report by the end of January I will pay off another bad debt. Since I was reviewing 2020 I started working upon my 2021 financial goals. It was a full morning of numbers, spreadsheets, etc. I have a little more fine tuning to do, but it is almost done.

Machka – Your Paris friends sound like they had a lovely day. What a great way to spend Christmas.

Heather – There are many in the US who jump in the ocean. It usually occurs on New Year’s day. Burr. Honestly, if your son was able to take a swim I would not call wearing a wetsuit a cheat – just a smart decision. 😊

Katla – Very happy you were able to Zoom and at least get a little “face” time in. And, as much as we want to meet in person and soak up all of those hugs technology is helping us feel a little closer to loved ones. My thinking mirrors yours. It seems people are just tired of sheltering and feel the need to have physical visits. Most feel one or two is OK. Yet, the numbers are stating otherwise. The only people in my home were those from the roofing company because a pre-inspection was required, if the owners wanted to hold the company liable for any possible damage caused by the roofing project. Since I did not want to pay for their damage I allowed the short visit. The inspector was masked and did not touch anything. I was fortunate it was a cooler day so I had all of the windows open and then sprayed Lysol around (he did not touch anything). I love humming birds too. They are amazing.

Carol – Your mentioning of Beef Wellington made my mouth water. The last time I had it was on a cruise with Charlie. Oh, how we loved our cruises!

Allie – If you feel it is time to go home, go. So happy you are progressing in to a healthier you!!

Flea – I shudder every time I go on to FB and see another social gathering (in or outdoors) where there are too many people. I want to shake them all. It is a big reason why I did not go to the pre-Christmas party even though it was held outdoors. There are just too many who feel they are safe because they know the people coming over. I am sending prayers and positive thoughts your mom remains covid-free.

Annie – It has been a long and strange winding road this year.

Beth – Beautiful snow picture. Sorry to hear about the pool cover. A co-worker is also looking for a lab and is finding the same thing. It seems everyone is getting or has gotten animals this year. I pray once things start opening up our animal shelters do not get overloaded. Many do not feel pets are a lifelong commitment and dispose of them if their lifestyles are cramped because of their pets. I am so happy the men in your house bought you a wanted gift!

Rebecca – Love the gnomes. Happy you were able to see Athena enjoying Christmas morning.

Bananas – I hope you’re able to get in to see a dentist. One of my rear molars had broken too. I was very glad the doctor was able to file it down so I would not need a cap. He attempted a repair, but it did not hold. Eventually I will need a cap or implant.

Michelle – As much I as would love to be able to donate to causes, my finances tell me otherwise. I volunteer my time. The gleanings here keep many of the soup kitchens in vegetables throughout the year because they put up a lot of the produce during the growing season. Hope your foot is on the mend. Charlie had the same issue and he went back to the podiatrist who ordered an MRI. They found a hairline fracture which was not detected through the x-rays that were taken in the doctor’s office.

Sue – Nessa is adorable. She looks like she had a fine time in the snow – even with the dreaded coat on her.

Machka – The reason people rent is so they do not have to worry about repairs. If my stove top was not properly working I would call the owner and get it repaired. Is it not the same there? Glad the electric frying pan worked well for your meal.

Debbie – So sorry for the MIL fiasco. I think it may be time for a family sit down. I would clearly state to dear MIL her actions are unacceptable and if she continues with her behavior during any holiday you will no longer visit her or take her calls on holidays. I am sorry DH is not supportive of the idea….I can see him not wanting you to tell her off. But honestly support a conversation with all three of you present. Read a little further along – DH’s mom sounds like a royal b-tch. To say something like that to her son! I really truly believe it is time for him to set boundaries, but we are all on our own paths and can only gently suggest what we see is the best course of action. Maybe some counseling for him? I can see how she probably has a very deep effect upon him while causing him feelings of guilt, hatred, and also love. It is all a lot for a person to digest and come to terms with…..

Sandra – Welcome. Sounds like you have a sound plan.

It is off to the races for me. Laundry is in the dryer and Christmas boxes must come down so some decorations can be packed up. Then some 2021 goals need to be committed to paper. 😊

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka – The reason people rent is so they do not have to worry about repairs. If my stove top was not properly working I would call the owner and get it repaired. Is it not the same there? Glad the electric frying pan worked well for your meal.

SuziQ – SFL

The reason people rent here is because we can't afford to do anything else. The house we're in would be way out of our league if we were to try to buy it. In fact, most houses in our city and surrounding area are out of our league.

Our landlord has been really good to us, especially since my husband's injury, and has not raised the rent much. In turn, we keep up with the minor stuff.

So ... we spent $40 or so on an electric frying pan which seems to be able to solve our problem rather than rocking the boat. :)

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    SuziQ113 wrote: »

SuziQ – SFL

The reason people rent here is because we can't afford to do anything else. The house we're in would be way out of our league if we were to try to buy it. In fact, most houses in our city and surrounding area are out of our league.

Our landlord has been really good to us, especially since my husband's injury, and has not raised the rent much. In turn, we keep up with the minor stuff.

So ... we spent $40 or so on an electric frying pan which seems to be able to solve our problem rather than rocking the boat. :)

M in Oz

Is your stove electric? Is it one without a glass top? I found replacing the coils worked on my old electric stove for the issue you described. The coils were cheap (this was quite a few years ago) and just pulled off. The new ones slide on (there is a little tugging - nothing major). :smile:
  • Machka9
    Options
    Christmas Decorations -- the earliest they come down is Jan 8, the day after Christmas Day. However, I often leave them up longer. Some years it has been the middle of Feb before they've come down. This time, I'm going to try to take them down the weekend of Jan 16/17.

https://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/serbia.shtml

2021 -- I've gathered together my Things To Do lists from years gone by. I haven't really looked at any of them in a long time because the last few years I've just been doing whatever has been necessary to get through.

So rather than rushing around like a chicken with its head cut off, I thought I'd make a plan.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Just had a really lovely chat with my brother and his wife. They were out walking in the park and phoned our home phone. :D
    Super to chat and catch up. They have a huge extended family and a household of seven, so it's busy, busy over there in Southampton and I lose touch with who is doing what. My DSIL is taking blood from people for blood donation, plasma and covid plasma. It's a new job to her and she's loving it.
    I agree with Katla about the wonders of technology. :D I haven't felt less connected this Christmas. We miss the grandkids in person, but not much else. I certainly don't feel we haven't seen anyone! :noway:

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – about the only time I use my electric fry pan is Christmas Eve when we fry the pierogi. Good for you making dinner! Sounds scrumptious

Michele NC

Both of us, independently, were thinking about getting an electric frying pan and then one day I mentioned it and surprised my husband who was debating whether to mention it. The next day we got one.

We rent our house. The only real complaint we have is the stove. It's old and the burners seem to have two settings now - off and blazing like the sun. The only way we can cook is to move the pan onto the burner, then off the burner then on the burner, then off the burner ... it's frustrating.

So we thought the electric frying pan might provide us with more control over cooking and it did! It was nice to be able to step away from it for a few moments without burning anything!

M in Oz
    Can you get the stove fixed? I'm a landlady and in a basic small kitchenette one of the burners broke down after 10 years. There are fix it guys for that kind of thing. estimate was about 135 for 1 burner and 160 for two (supposing the other would meet its end soon - not sure). Its kind of expensive relative to the cost of the thing, but since it's built in it avoided major works.
    If its a separate stove maybe you could replace it.

I'm also a renter. Here if you have a good deal, most people invest in fixing up their rental places if need be. I've done tons here over the years.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Debbie CA – it kind of sounds like your MIL has some sort of dementia. Or maybe she sundowns?

Michele NC

no, she has always been like this- very jealous of the time spent with anyone else but her, and she is always so bitter about everything. She still doesn't like and doesn't like her son either but she has no one else left. She has been like this the 30 yrs I have known her but got worse after her other son, her favorite son was killed in a car accident. Actually looked my husband in the face and told him the wrong son died!. He has been treated like that all his life but is obligated to take care of her and in turn I have to listen to him complain. He has never set boundries with her.

Wow, that is such a horrible thing to hear. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Sandra142u wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for something to break through that point where you plateau. Try reading The Calorie Myth, it taught me how to change my metabolism from fat storing to fat burning, about 3 years ago when I turned 50. The food strategies are brilliant, eating food that burns more calories to digest. I was able to get 8 kg about 18lbs below the limit I would bottom out at for about 10 years.

The things I wouldn’t do now is weight train to the edge of my limit without building up my joint strength under medical guidance first. I hope to steadily build up with bands at home, using past recommendations then check in with GP and Physio in NewYear.

I only have 25% strength in right arm after a work accident. If I work really diligently, I can build it up to about 50% in 6 months to a year again, but I will never be able to dive in or freestyle swim again ( my past weight loss go to). So slow and steady, how patient we have to be in our 50’s!

When I first read Jonathan Bailor it was called the “ Smarter Science of Slim”, based off 1000’s of articles he had studied for I think it was a thesis. It has now built into a huge range of products, cook books etc. I think the book is the best, then adjust or substitute to help.

If I can motivate myself I go with the 5/2 strategy, 5 days careful eating and two days with a few treats or unhealthy splurges out with friends or visiting.

Good luck and let me know what you think.

The 5/2 strategy sounds similar to WW which is rather successful. They have weekly points, and users all have their reserved "splurges"= weekly dessert, or glass of wine or whatever... considered key by all. It's s "splurge" that is calculated in, or rather calculating in the non-regular aspect of life in normal times, when we might go out.
    auntiebk wrote: »

Julie thanks for the recommendation. Ordered some seam sealer and waterproofing spray. Thankful not to have to throw the slicker away. Thank you and ((hugs)). I used to walk alone in the forest in Idaho and California. Wouldn’t do it today. Thankful our land is wooded and I can walk alone there with the dogs, safe from people, if not from wildlife. Hope you have no pain until you can get that molar fixed.

Joe took Shadow to the beach today. I am so very very thankful he’s feeling better. I’ll keep working with Tumble and maybe one day, when the early mornings are lighter, we can go back to the beach together.

I hope that works nicely. I think in busy sunny weekend days I could walk in the nearby forest, without danger. Today it's pouring out anyway. Big storm. SO glad I didn't go to the beach. I would have just paid to spend the day in hotel room, rather than my own bed. That might be nice to be "elsewhere" but I could rent a room in Paris too, if I wanted to.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    This is the niece who had symptoms a few weeks ago and scheduled a test but then cancelled the test because her boyfriend said, "If you test positive, I won't be able to come see you for two weeks."

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Of course, that's not true. But perhaps he doesn't know that??

When you get tested, you need to self-isolate until you get your test results back ... here that's about 48 hours.

If you test negative, you're good to go.

If you test positive, authorities will come to your door and transport you safely to a quarantine ward at the hospital where you will remain until you get well or die. That might be 2 weeks ... or 3 weeks ... or more. During that time, you will not be seen by any family, friends, etc.

Meanwhile, authorities will start contact tracing. Everyone you've had contact with in the previous couple weeks will have to be found and tested.

The two week thing was before testing was so prevalent. Back then, if you'd been in contact with someone who had tested positive, you were to wait 14 days to see if you developed symptoms. Now you go and get a test.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-covid-19#how-to-seek-medical-attention

M in Oz

Machka

Wow! That is utterly fascinating! I had no idea. Such a contrast, on so many levels, to what happens in the United States.

With the exception of the assumption that a negative test means you are "good to go", Australia has a much more stringent approach to the pandemic than the USA does. Prevalence matters.

Thank you for helping me “get” why the statistics in Australia are in such contrast to ours.

Karen in Virginia