• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊☕💕
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim from N CA: It is good to see your post. :flowerforyou:

Michele: You are one of the busiest people that I know. I admire all that you do on a regular basis. :star:

Machka: You look beautiful and happy. Congratulations! I want to say congratulations over and over again. You worked hard, and never lost sight of your goal. That is admirable. :flowerforyou:

I am the guilty, horrible person who hit the disagree button by accident, and when I tried to delete the mistake my hand hit the disagree button again. This was a typo on my part, and not any intentional negative comment about Faetta.

Katla
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am slowly coming to..im still resting alot..
    Michelle- was in the hospital for 3 weeks had mitral valve repair(open heart surgery),which in turn they found out i have cardio myopathy..very weak heart.. so i am on a crap ton of meds and recouping at Sean and Jeans place..
    Until i can get enough strength to get back to my place... Alfie with Tom and Elena until day after Christmas and then going with another friend until i can care for him.. my friend Leah has 3 other dogs and one is Alfies age and they will have a ball..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    MACHKA
    That is a beautiful photo of you sitting at your celebratory dinner!

Karen in VA
    Love the photo of Olivia reading to Phoenix! How old is Olivia (I forget)? Reading is a gift...I had to have a tutor teach me to read in 2nd grade after everyone realized I had memorized the "Dick & Jane" books. I was a young 1st grader who had had no previous instruction at home and no pre-school/kindergarten.

Fae
    Why in the world would anyone disagree about your Rooster Cogburn post. That was stupid.

I am hoping that my son and his family will be able to come on Christmas morning for brunch. Thre will only be 6 of us at the table. They have not been to our house since last Spring when we did outside social distancing. They will be going to my DnL's mother's after that to spend time with her mom and two brothers.

It has been unusually cold in Georgia over the last five days. In the low 30's this AM. The bright spot is that the sun is shining! :)

Wishing everyone a good Saturday and weekend!

Carol in GA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Faetta wrote: »
    I don't know how long I will continue to participate in the message boards because I will have to guard every word and I have no way to report mass anonymous disagrees. I have no recourse against anonymous attacks and participate in fear of banishment should I slip up just once and get flagged by those that will follow my post unidentified.

The reason for the disagree being installed was ...

Disagree is not an attack. We all have things we disagree on. It is a polite way to say, "Sorry, but I disagree with that." Disagrees are not held against you. You won't be banned from the forum if someone disagrees with you. I have 148 of the things and that's OK. :)

As as for the reason it was installed ... you might like to read this thread.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10623894/the-origin-and-meaning-of-woo/p1

It is 20 pages long, but it explains.

Also:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10759847/woo-be-gone#latest

Flags, on the other hand, are different. You can be banned if you get some of those.

But basically, if you want to talk about controversial topics, expect disagrees.

If you say things that violate the ... here it comes, my 149th disagree :lol: ... Community Guidelines, you may get warnings or flags.

I notice that your post(s) (which resulted in all the disagrees you mention) in MFP Suggestions/Feedback have been deleted.

Katla49 wrote: »
    Faetta: I may have been at fault with the disagree button, but did not do it on purpose. My hand twitched at just the wrong time. I am sorry if it caused you sadness or embarrassment. I was not able to undo it. I tried without success. I certainly did not do it on purpose. :embarassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

If you couldn't undo it by clicking Disagree a second time, then you didn't select the Disagree in the first place.

I refuse to accept the nonownership of negative actions

I made a post in good faith about the disagree button and my disagrees jumped from 12 to 32 overnight. I received a couple of patronizing and insulting responses to which I answered in general, labeling the kind of people that would participate in such behavior. This was a violation of the strict forum rule about negative labeling even though it was in general and to no one personally. I received a warning.

My land!! I do not believe any of those disagrees were from regular contributors here. I have to believe you were being trolled by someone (some people) who do not regularly participate in this particular thread. I know the women in this group, not super well, but I have participated for a few years now, and I can say confidently that they would never do that. This is a very supportive thread, even when we don't agree about everything. No one would purposefully hurt another person, and 32 disagrees is purposeful, in my opinion, which makes me think that they are from trolls.

<hugs> Fae.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

The disagrees she is referring to didn't happen in this thread. They happened in response to her post(s) (which resulted in all the disagrees you mention) in MFP Suggestions/Feedback which have since been deleted.

M in Oz

I respectfully disagree! An anonymous disagree is not polite. I fully understand the reason and the history of the disagree feature and the reasoning in keeping all emotional responses anomyous. It makes moderation much easier, but it gives bullies, trolls, and such, a platform to cause hate and discontent. A disagree that might lead to learning is lost because there is no discussion on why one disagrees.

It seems to me anyone giving a disagree should follow it with an explanatory post, just as I am doing here. You have just completed your Masters and I doubt you were awarded it by never questioning your professors. You could have sent them an anonymous note saying I disagree with your statement you made today. They wouldn't know who or how to respond or why you disagreed. No learning would result. They could overlook the note and never mention it or they could give a discourse on why anonymous disagreeing is nonproductive, unpolite, and a form of bullying. Why would anyone disagreeing not want to state their reasons?

We can disagree identified and do it in a way that is nonconfrontational and educational. If it is a violation of rules then that post should be removed.

Yes, it would be easiest to overlook it, but overlooking small trivial matters always leads to larger problems. I have corresponded with several that say this anonymous reaction thing is why they left the message boards.

I have hosted and administered message boards in the past mainly to offer support and information to those suffering vestibular and nerve disorders from virus. I offered reactions that were of a supportive nature. Any disagreements were encouraged to be posted with all the reasons why. Many times it was their personal experience that made them disagree and sometimes they found a webpage that had conflicting info. We discussed it and nothing but good results and positive vibes resulted. So I do have some experience with message boards as an admin, moderator, and posting member.

I have considered taking the easy road of ignoring such reactions, but ignoring little things has never led to anything positive in my life. I decided not to change who I am to appease others. I also don't like the ignoring feature that hides posts of those I might not like. It breaks the flow and many responding posts don't make sense. But that is a personal thing and whatever anyone chooses to do doesn't affect me. I had rather members put me on ignore rather than give me anonymous disagrees.

So very respectfully Machka, I disagree that the anonymous disagree is polite, educational, informative, goodwill intended, or of any supportive value. Thank you for taking the time to post why you disagree. I appreciate it. Fae
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I loved Rooster Cogburn, and I think John Wayne did a great job portraying his character. :star: I always liked Katherine Hepburn in any role she played. :heart:

John Franklin "Rooster" Cogburn was one of my great cousins. The family came from Cockburn Scotland where they were known for raising champion fighting roosters. Rooster had a cousin Fayette a tough mountain man and sharpshooter. They were involved in killing a man that messed with their women. Family rumor of old was that was where I got my name and tough mountain woman ways and became a dead eye sharpshooter with rifle or revolver. As they say in the Liberty Insurance ad, I don't see it hahaha!

I dunno, maybe this person disagreed with your story and didn’t believe it?
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Just reading. Not up to posting. Bad day today. I ignore those buttons for the most part. I can never make up my mind as to what to click on. Guess I’m just in a rotten mood today.

Rv Rita
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie

Thanks for your post. I finally figured out how to look at a disagree (I've gotten one). I got one because I commented on the Recipe forum telling a poster there who had gotten numerous disagrees that I would never disagree with his post as I liked his food choices. That was strange, but, I figure whoever disliked this guy felt the need to let me know they disagreed with me liking his food choices.

Carol in GA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    People do a lot of mysterious things, especially online. I try to focus on the friendship and support here.

About the hacking incident, things are quiet now. I hope it's over. I did eat a few stress cookies.

My aunt and uncle came over for tea. It was great to see them, but I worry about exposure to Covid. They only go for groceries and Dr visits, but that could be enough. My parents aren't great with the masks and distancing. So much to worry about!

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I was curious! I have 37 disagrees. :p
    I never look at the buttons.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Well, we made progress. Called the bank back, started with the words "fraud scam" and got the account frozen. Then we called my Dad's real tech support, and they convinced him to rescan his computer and not to call back the scammers. So we have a fighting chance now. Kudos to Steven who pushed me into confronting my Dad instead of letting the whole thing be.

Annie in Delaware

Glad to hear it! You still need to contact the police though. They need to be made aware of this so that they can have a fighting chance of shutting people who do that sort of thing down. If people remain silent, they can't do anything at all.

You should also report it to the FTC. There is a form on their site for reporting scams. https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/

Tina
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Olivia reading the instruction booklet from the Ninja Foodi Blender to Phoenix:

7haenzudzo1h.png

Priceless. Maybe one of them will become a chef.

Tina
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Ladies -

On disagrees - I checked mine too. I've had 5. I find it humorous that one of the posts with the disagree also had an insightful and a like. I can't please everyone all the time :smile:

We're currently watching football. We will venture out at halftime to drop goodies in a few neighbors garages.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

• sh0tzz99
    Options
    I don't really care if people disagree with me. Everyone has a right to an opinion. I think many are mistakes anyway.

Tina
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    DH's younger daughter was all packed, ready to fly out tomorrow to her sister's house in France. Haven't spoken to her, but I guess that is off. :s London is Tier 4.

I'm debating whether or not to have my hair trimmed on Tuesday. I have a wet cut, no shampoo and no blowdry - in and out in 15 minutes. ;) The government is saying that the new strain is much more infectious.

Update - DH in tears. :'( His daughter was crying so much she couldn't speak. Said she'd call back later. She will probably go and stay with her sister's ex husband (a real friend) for Christmas to make a bubble.

I don't think going to France is forbidden (but I'm not following closely). when they did lockdown 2 here people were still allowed to fly out. they were just uncertain about right to return weeks later.

I hadn't heard the new strain was more contagious. I wonder if it is as fatal. much less people seem to be passing per case relative to the spring. granted we know more in terms of how to treat it and they test more so have records of all the light cases now that they didn't have before. but it's a hypothesis that the death rate is lower with the developing strain.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    I don't think so much about buttons. I'm happy to get a like or hug but I really don't worry about getting a disagree. I never go back very very far to check how likes etc evolve. disagree, at least that means someone has read it and found it worth reacting to. that's something.

I'm activist and it's very clear to me that if you DO something and you are visible, it's quite possible or certain that some people will not agree with you. and some people may do it in an emotional and unpleasant way. I know people who criticise mother Theresa. I have someone in my large circle of acquaintances who publicly criticised something considered unethical by the Dali lama, etc, etc.

I find the overall here rather supportive or even QUITE supportive relative to most online stuff, so I'm fine with it.

but each is free to have his or her own thought and feeling about that.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I generally push like or hug or sometimes inspiring or insightful. I have never flagged. I didn't realise flag was there. I don't use disagree as it seems controversial and I'd just as soon avoid that, in that way. I don't mind if you disagree with my posts.