WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Bananas-I’m sorry you’re feeling down.I am going through menopause and the ‘wonderful’ changes I see aren’t wonderful.I go to bed and wake up to a little more here,a little more there...I cry.I’ve been working out for Years and eating healthy.And this has just kicked my butt.In the past dropping 10 pounds was a snap.Now the weight wants to hang out/around-literally.It is discouraging,but I push on,hoping the work pats off.I take no medication of any kind and hope never to need any.Don’t give up.It’s hard some days,just know we are here.
    Debby in 🥶 Va

I totally agree. Previously if I "paid attention" to what I ate, I could drop a couple of kilos quite quickly, and then keep going. Now it's not so easy...and I can't jog anymore due to foot stuff. Jogging was definitely helpful for quick and easy calorie burn...and with on and off lockdown, curfew and suggestion for everyone to avoid everyone and all activities, I'm just not moving around less. I'm a teacher so move around quite a bit, going to schools moving around classroom, up and down corridors, stairs, etc. And of last months not at all. And then we had curfew, then lockdown, then curfew, all since mid October...
    I got menopause very quickly. my period just stopped at about age 53. I am post-menopause. I didn't have any weight difference till about 2 years later. I think I didn't really have hot flashes. So there was no reason to take any medication. Sleep definitely changed but several years previously- I used to be a wonderful sleeper- and I'm not sure if it's related to menopause. I did try CBD oil this fall and that seemed to help sleep and relax. I tried to buy some today but the place I went only has a higher percentage (more expensive) potion. I didn't want to spend so much. But then again if I spend 75 for 20% potion rather than 35 for 5% potion it's actually not more expensive, just more out of pocket. is CBD so expensive in other places. I can get it online in 2h delivery! for 4 euros.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    A burst of nature would be good, but it seems untimely.

Friends of mine, a couple who live in Paris, did something rather sweet on Christmas Day.

They've gone to the Beynes Forest where they found a nice pine tree, decorated it, had a picnic beside it and opened their presents. When they were finished, they tidied everything up, and took down the decorations.

They are cyclists so they've likely cycled to the forest and back.

Are you able to take public transportation somewhere for a day trip somewhere?

Or if you're not able to travel out of Paris, are you able to visit the parks?

Take a camera or if you paint, take painting supplies and have a bit of fun. :)

BTW - those friends also live in a tiny apartment, or did the last time my husband and I were in Paris in 2012. It was 2 rooms with a tiny kitchen and bathroom in the corner of one room. Plus a tiny balcony.

It had quite high ceilings so if it had been me, I would have made more use of vertical storage than they did then, but perhaps they've changed things.

M in Oz
    I had never heard of that forest. it looks to be a 2-3h bike-ride from town. (depending on path and where one starts from in town).

I used to like to go for walks alone in the forest but I don't so much anymore.

I can go to a park.

I have often gone to the cemetery and went to the park yesterday.
    I could definitely take a day trip. Even to the seaside, 2h a way, but I feel uncomfortable wearing a mask for several hours on the train...
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Happy Boxing Day to those who celebrate.

Yesterday was a quiet day. Binged “The Christmas Story”. Well, not really, it was on while I was puttering around the house. The neighbors brought me brunch. They are a lovely couple. They always check in to make sure I have a holiday meal and do a mental check. They have never said so, but Robert asked me how I was doing three times during our conversation. Yes, fences make for good neighbors – yet they are one pair of neighbors I would not mind sharing a yard.

Bananas – I think many of us are feeling the same way. I had to pull myself out of the holiday/extended sheltering funk a few times this year. I have turned my thinking around – I keep telling myself this too shall pass and I do not want to be my old unhealthy self when we are finally able to move a little more freely with less stress. I have gained back 10 pounds, ☹. I got rid of all of my big clothes so I have not choice but to reign myself in and get back on track because I am not buying bigger clothes.
    Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

How sweet of those neighbours to have brought you breakfast. Yeah, right about not wanting to buy bigger clothes.

Katla49 wrote: »
    Kate UK:
    Heather: How is wearing a wetsuit to swim in the ocean in December “cheating”?
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
    I think the real "tough" people don't wear wetsuits and tough it out with the cold winter water. Cheating relative to the cold water.

SuziQ
    It seems to be a strange British ritual of self torture...
    There is most definitely a tradition of swimming on new year's day in northern France too. My elderly grandpa was part of a group called L street brownies, in Boston area. Some would swim daily all year round in freezing snowy Boston. My grandpa, born around 1886, died in early 1970s, would just go at least 1x a year in mid-winter.

Wow for the 400 day streak on duo lingo!

Katla49 wrote: »

Flea: I’m so sorry for the need for you to worry about your mom’s possible exposure to CoVid. I hope it turns out well and she doesn’t get sick. :star:

I hope your mom is ok too. It's said that vitamin D and vitamin C are to be good for staving off Covid or staving off bad cases.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I went for a walk today. and bought a pastry! I did a slow cycle on stationary bike this morning. ate not a ton, but saw that I went past daily, so I got on the stationary bike at a good pace for an hour. according to my heart rate and weight I burned about 440 calories. so that made it so I went from maybe 100 over to 300 under or something like that.

broke an already broken second to last molar.
    I had a tooth issue during early lockdown. it was illegal to get dental work during 1st lockdown, except in case of severe pain, which I had none of. I had a temp thing on and then never followed up. My usual dentist (right in my building and very good!) retired, and I did not go across town to the new one he had recommended... first it was lockdown, then soon it was summer, when most go away, then classes starting, then lockdown again (but I don't think they have that rule on no dental work anymore!)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options

M – about the only time I use my electric fry pan is Christmas Eve when we fry the pierogi. Good for you making dinner! Sounds scrumptious

SuziQ – I know the soup kitchen is hurting for funds right now. They can’t have things like their fundraiser spaghetti dinner. Plus…they now need to purchase (if enough aren’t donated) additional supplies.

Jess just skyped with Colby’s mother. Seems someone at their house who usually isn’t there that person’s mother has COVID. Jess was saying that now she’s glad they’re not there.

Heather – cool hat

M and bananas – I like pavlova, too, It’s light and tastes good. The bad thing is that I’m the only one who does like it. Not sure why Vince doesn’t like it, he likes meringue on key lime pie

Rebecca – I see my card!!!

Not sure if this had anything to do with it, but yesterday for the whole day I didn’t wear my boot. Late this morning (Christmas) my foot was in AGONY, and you know I have a high tolerance for pain. I actually took 2 tylenol. When Jess saw it, it was swollen and red. I put my foot up, put ice on it, now the foot is still swollen but no where near the pain I was in. Not sure what that’s all about. Vince doesn’t want me to go without the boot. I think I’ll go downstairs to work on the puzzle some and see if going down the stairs (having to bend your toes) has anything to do with it. On the nice side, you won’t believe how Jess, Colby and Vince are pitching in and doing things. But I know that they wouldn’t clean the way I would….lol But they are doing all the cooking

Saurday here: Worked today. I know next week I’m working Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Sat. In a way, I really like having one day off between days of work. But oh well….

Beth – can you see me smiling????

Just tried a new scale that we got. Says I’m 140. Yuk. Need to rein in. Then again, can’t wait to get back to exercise.

Remember how my foot ached so much yesterday. Well, I’m thinking that maybe I overdid it on Christmas Eve. I went the entire day without the boot on. What I’m trying today is to be on my feet a bit, then rest it. I absolutely need to get the flexibility back in my toes. So I’m going to try this. But if I know that I’m going to be on my feet for hours (like at work), I’ll wear the boot. I’ve been wearing it since Thanksgiving. I know I’m no longer 20 years old, but surely by now any fracture is healed.

Allie – you are sounding so much better each and every day.

Last I knew, Jess and Colby were planning to leave tomorrow. But Vince said that Jess the other day was talking that they may leave on the first. I’m going to plan that they’ll leave tomorrow (have things for them to take back), and if they don’t leave until the first, I’ll just put it in the freezer. They just left to go to Amanda and Andy's. If they do stay until the first, I hope Amanda and Andy at least invite them to their house. Who wants to spend New Years with their partents?

Watched M*A*S*H DVD that I got now going to watch Dr. Zhivago.

Made lemon bars for Colby. I could swear that I saw True Lemon at Food Lion since I didn’t have enough. I know that I can get it at Publix, I just haven’t gone up there. So I got the True Lemon lemonade. I didn’t like the way it tasted. It has stevia in it, and I can just taste an aftertaste. It’s just that I’m sensitive to artificial sweeteners.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    wuln05y5xkht.png

Yep ... pretty much the same Christmas this year as many others we've had. :)
    Visiting family via Skype/Messenger.
    Quiet.
    Small dinner.
    No presents.
    Christmas carols on the stereo.
    Christmas lights.
    Restful.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – about the only time I use my electric fry pan is Christmas Eve when we fry the pierogi. Good for you making dinner! Sounds scrumptious

Michele NC

Both of us, independently, were thinking about getting an electric frying pan and then one day I mentioned it and surprised my husband who was debating whether to mention it. The next day we got one.

We rent our house. The only real complaint we have is the stove. It's old and the burners seem to have two settings now - off and blazing like the sun. The only way we can cook is to move the pan onto the burner, then off the burner then on the burner, then off the burner ... it's frustrating.

So we thought the electric frying pan might provide us with more control over cooking and it did! It was nice to be able to step away from it for a few moments without burning anything!

M in Oz
  • Sandra142u
    Sandra142u Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    M , glad Christmas was restful. We were able to get together, after the restrictions were on then off then figured out it was 10 visitors not 10 total. So a good Christmas, now need to work off the kilogram gift I would like to return.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Michele I feel the same way about stevia. I do not like its after taste.
  • Machka9
    Options
    High of 28C and snow later. Gotta love Tassie weather!

jfpo7og2cyir.png
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,207 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Sandra142u wrote: »
    Hi, like a lot of women some Covid weight decided to cuddle 🤗 around my middle, and just won’t let go the way it used to.

I am feeling left behind, my hubby and 15 year old daughter have started doing rigorous fitness workouts.🏋️‍♀️ I couldn’t keep up, and wouldn’t fit in the spare room to join them. It just would have been nice to be asked.😢 Our 18 year old son, is on PC or out with friends, and mum just isn’t cool to work out with. My friends are visiting family or away on holidays.

I have the opposite problem. My husband is not interested in getting fit or eating better.
    I found a friend that walks with me at least 3-4 evenings a week. We walk between an hour and hour and a half. It is great to get out of the house (I work from home). My son is too busy with his girlfriend or work or computer, doesn't want to walk with me. On days when friend can't go, I used to go by myself- will again when the days get longer. I don't feel comfortable going in the dark by myself.
    I have gained weight and trying to figure out why- tracking what I eat, keeping well under my calories, adding our walks- will figure it out and then the weight will come back off.
    Don't give up. Do it for you. If they don't want to do it with you.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    :)Sandra, I'm sorry to hear that your family is so busy thinking about themselves that they don't think about your needs. It is hard to continue like the clock ticking in the thunderstorm when things are tough. Willpower has never worked for me. I need strategies like your new plan for breakfast. I am an abstainer--I can't have a small portion of a holiday treat, so I choose to have none of it. I hope you will keep coming back and join in our conversations.

<3Debbie, I'm sorry you let your MIL's bad behaviour and your husband's attitude ruin the holiday for you.

:) When I went out for my evening walk, I noticed that it is staying lighter a bit longer. I don't notice the lengthening of the days in morning, because sunrise will keep getting later for a few more days and won't turn around until more than a week from now.

:) My holiday eating report:
    *no alcohol or holiday sweets
    *too much bread and mashed potatoes

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Sandra, I'm sorry to hear that your family is so busy thinking about themselves that they don't think about your needs. It is hard to continue like the clock ticking in the thunderstorm when things are tough. Willpower has never worked for me. I need strategies like your new plan for breakfast. I am an abstainer--I can't have a small portion of a holiday treat, so I choose to have none of it. I hope you will keep coming back and join in our conversations.

<3Debbie, I'm sorry you let your MIL's bad behaviour and your husband's attitude ruin the holiday for you.

:) When I went out for my evening walk, I noticed that it is staying lighter a bit longer. I don't notice the lengthening of the days in morning, because sunrise will keep getting later for a few more days and won't turn around until more than a week from now.

:) My holiday eating report:
    *no alcohol or holiday sweets
    *too much bread and mashed potatoes

<3 Barbie in NW WA

thank you!!
    The two of them (either one or the other or both)seem to ruin the holidays just about every year for the past 28 yrs. She hates when we go up to see my parents because that is time that we are not over there. She lives here in town. My husband is there at least every other day. We go see my parents at most once every other MONTH, and many times it is me going alone. Next year I may just go up by myself and not deal with their drama. I know, husband will then pout/ poor me, etc but I am so tired of their drama, blaming my parents/time with them. Just about done with both of them many days.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options

Debbie CA – it kind of sounds like your MIL has some sort of dementia. Or maybe she sundowns?

Sandra – (((HUG))). Good for you getting started!

Michele NC
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Beth I love my Charge 4. ... and I just loved your carrot picture... My DH and I cracked up... thanks for helping us laugh..Amazing.

Betsy in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Cold and cloudy today and very windy. Pip do you miss the wind? Talked with my mom yesterday. She had a good Christmas. Not what she planned as my DB and DSIL were sick. Just seems to be a cold but nobody wanted to take any chances. She missed out on her oyster stew but had clam chowder with DS and BIL.

DD and I are having a lazy day today not doing much of anything.

Here is a picture of Nessa the labradoodle in the snow we had recently wearing the dreaded coat.

5zz5yr8nwmp9.jpg

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

HELL NO!!,!!!