WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    up4jrodatmdy.jpeg

PIP: Terrific picture! I just love your smile! And you look so tan....and HAPPY! Lol. I'm jealous! What part of the world do you live?

(I'm still going back through all the previous pages of this thread! I'm loving reading up on all the chatter. You all are such an interesting group!) :smiley:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Braless and commando—Every day when I wake up, shower or take a bath. Then I put on my panties, bra, & clothes. A zillion years ago we were acquainted with a woman who breast fed her baby, as did I. Helen went braless and nursed her boy well into his fourth year or longer. Her boobs drooped beyond the bottom of her T-shirt. Not attractive. :noway:

I wore a nursing bra. When my son could hold his own cup, I stopped nursing him. Same routine when our daughter came along. My “girls” are not those of a teenager, but they don’t droop or peek below my t-shirt. :noway:

Time to watch TV—I don’t want to miss out on the Inauguration.

Katla
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :'(
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    :'(
    Carol, why :cry: ? Is something wrong?
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    Dee - I get my second dose today. I wish it was 100% effective, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Hoping to Gain in 2021 - I would really like to finish some projects I started. So far, I'm not doing very will with getting at them though. I would love to get back to swimming, but the pools remain closed.

Allie - is the battery pack attached by a cord? Can you put it under your pillow or is it attached to the vest directly?

Julie - I go commando most of the time, except at work. I won't with a skirt or dress though it feels weird. I had a friend years ago tell me it helped stop yeast infections she was getting regularly. I haven't had one since I started doing this. It was probably 20 years ago now.
    I don't leave the house without a bra, but I very rarely have one on at home. My MIL used to tell me I would regret it but so far the girls and I are doing OK. I read somewhere that new studies suggest that wearing a bra actually isn't good for you, but I don't know how accurate that is or where I read it.

Machka - Most days it's Freedom, but after about an hour it turns into loneliness for me. I am a social creature.

Kelly - What a great idea! They will have so much fun and will probably remember some of it when they start school. It was the lessons that were fun to learn that I still remember from school, not the ones where we just learned from a book or a teacher talking.

The best lesson I ever learned about longitude and latitude came from a fellow student. In Grade 6 I was in a class with a bunch of boys that looking back on it did not have good home lives and probably acted out because of it. One of the boys was really tormenting a substitute teacher we had. The teacher finally had enough and told the boy that his homework for the night was to create a lesson plan for the next day and he would be teaching the class. I'll tell you that boy did his homework that night and I'll never forget his lesson. He made it humorous, used props, and engaged the whole class. He apparently is a minister now.

Barbara - My hips seems to have locked up again. The doctor calls it frozen, it all stems from poor posture. (I should have listened more to my Grandmother). This happened a few years ago and it was just a thing that happened over time. I tend to walk using my back instead of my hips, I also sit more using my back more than my hips. I have to concentrate to do those activities properly, which should come naturally. When I made the bedding for the bunk beds for our Granddaughter I was sore after leaning over the table cutting the fabric and then the next day I took Christmas down and apparently really aggravated it. I start physio on Saturday!

I would like a deeper relationship with Rodger, I think that takes two of us to work on though and he doesn't seem to have any complaints about what we have.

Barbie - Rodger was watching that when I got up this morning. I am thankful I'm at work all day.

We had a rare weather occurrence last night. There were tornado force winds and a thunderstorm. Very rare in January in Alberta. Transport trucks were blown off the highway and we watched a roof of a business blow off from our living room window. Lots of damage around the area and in the City.

Well I'm at work so should get at it.
    Tracey in Edmonton

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    What are you looking to GAIN in 2021?

Financial stability. I no longer want to run out of money mid-month and rely on credits cards. I also want to gain my health back. Fitness and weight wise, I am looking to gain my goal of being at a healthy weight and physically stronger.

RvRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    For fun question We talked about topless a few months ago and there were many stories. Have you ever gone, or do you ever go commando? (no underpants when going out, wearing trousers or..a skirt or dress)? I guess you can't call it commando when in a nudist colony, right?

Bra-less often, panty-less seldom!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Herd Immunity
    As many people as possible should get the vaccination. Since children cannot be vaccinated (yet), and there are additional adults who either cannot or will not get the vaccine, we need every willing adult to go ahead and get the vaccine, or we will not achieve herd immunity. There simply won’t be enough vaccinated people if well-meaning healthy adults don’t get the vaccine. This is one of those counter-intuitive things…but getting the vaccine is a civic responsibility and everyone that can get it should do so. The goal is to contribute to, not rely on, herd immunity.

Karen in Virginia

Karen - along that line....
    When I checked a few days ago, the WA State DOH Vaccine guidelines said even if a person already had C-19, they still should get the vaccine.

Do you have any idea why this would be? Are antibodies produced as a response to having the virus no longer enough?

WA State has lowered the age from 70 to 65 as of yesterday, but in our area, there's still a real short supply so we may be months off, especially with more eligible folks in line.

So it's a great time to be anti-social and stay home and avoid crowds like we've been doing for the past few years anyhow. ;)

Thanks, always appreciate your input.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Lagopus wrote: »
    Kelly, you're brilliant, brain fuzz notwithstanding! What a great idea for a geography lesson!

/Penny, heading out into the dark to secure 10,000 steps for an ongoing challenge at the
    t07190.gif

PS: When you send your gingerbread men to Svalbard, make sure they've got headlamps if it's winter, and sunglasses if it's summer!

If you send your gingerbread men to southern California, they should wear layers. Hot in the day, cool when the sun goes down, no matter the season. Just remember to send them with masks.

Tina in CA
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I never went commando, it seemed too risky. what if you have an accident, what if you leave your fly partly down by accident it can happen. Then during 1st (very strict) lockdown I started going commando sometimes. one was only walking in the street or, more rarely, going to a shop, always with distance, 1h maximum. Now it's even less risky: jeans+ down jacket...

Also, when younger, menstruating, I would naturally have very slight vaginal discharge which is apparently normal, but since menopause I really don't have discharge. So that makes it really "clean".

I wear very something like this for bra, very light, to give slight support and not look braless.
    nazmga6avrck.png

so having my 1st time of commando (wearing clothes), going out. I don't count when at home, but I guess one could! some of you spoke of being 'commando' when not dressed, but I don't know if that counts!! I sleep naked almost all the time and go to shower and have first moments naked. if I wear pjs no underpants under. with skirt or dress would be almost stalkerish in m mind. one could have an inadvertent wardrobe malfunction that would not necessarily welcome to all possible viewers.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Thanks for the puppy comments. We agree ... he's a cutie! But he is exhausting. I might have mentioned to my son ... several times ... that puppies are a lot of work. I'm watching the little guy right now while said son takes a nap. LOL.

Katla ... yes, our pup is a Chocolate English Lab ... although he AKC doesn't recognize English and American, there is a difference. This guy will be lower to the ground with a stocky build, thick neck and a more squared head. The breeder believes, based on the Sire and Dam, that this guy will reach 100 pounds.

There was another question about the pup, but I've already forgotten ...

It's been over 16 years since we've had a puppy. Any advice would be appreciated. Pip ... that early teething/biting that they do ... what's the best way to address it? I'm trying to redirect those sharp little teeth to his "toy" and not my body parts.

I am finally getting back on track with my IF lifestyle. I had been overeating in my window and not being completely consistent with the fasting hours. It is good to be hungry or have a little emptiness every once in a while... makes you appreciate your food that much more.

Carol ... I hear ya'

Have a good day!
    Beth near Buffalo where we have over 2 feet of snow on the ground ... but not in my driveway! I told care of that this morning before leaving for work.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I haven't worn a bra in years and years and years. My breasts are very perky and I breastfed two children until they were 8 months. I think it's genetic. My mother's were pretty ok. I wear a tight camisole most of the time.

I do my morning exercises in my pyjama pants. No knickers. I do wear a tight lycra exercise top. Otherwise I always wear knickers. :noway:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Beth
    Please check your messages as I have PM'd you.

Bras
    I hate them! During the past year I have resorted to wearing thick tee shirts and sweater as much as I can. Do not have large boobs so not too bad.

Allie
    So glad you have been able to leave the hospital until you have to return for a repair.

Places I would like to visit:
    I have barely been out of the state of Georgia. I would love to travel along the Pacific Coast and the New England Coast. I would also like to see the Grand Canyon. Visiting historical mansions would float my boat.

Carol in GA

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    💖
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Getting to know you ...

I'll ask the question that appears at the top of the Message Board/Forum:

What are you looking to GAIN in 2021?

In the post that starts that thread, it says, "The journey with MFP isn’t just about what you lose (or how much you want to lose). It’s about everything you’ll gain. Healthy habits, confidence, motivation, support…and so much more."

You can, of course, respond to that post by clicking the link at the top of the Message Board/Forum (be sure to read the entire first post before you do), or we can chat amongst ourselves.

And here, the answer to "What are you looking to GAIN in 2021" does not just need to be about weight loss, fitness, etc. Maybe it's about improved relationships with family or friends, accomplishing an education or career goal, running your first marathon, retirement, consistency with your spiritual life, an uncluttered house, etc.

Is there one thing you would like to GAIN in 2021?

M in Oz

Something I would like to GAIN in 2021 is a closer relationship with my children and grandchildren. I told all the kids and grands after Christmas (just past) that I would no longer be buying (or giving money) to everyone at christmas time - there are just too many of them now.... the older ones all have significant others (which I haven't bought for in the past, but this year there are two new babies, so I felt bad buying for my grands and for the babies and NOT buying for the sig other). I have 2 sons, 2 DIL's, 5 grands (3 with significant others and 2 with new babies!), and my DH has a daughter in NC (no children) and a son in AR with 3 children ages 6-14).

I'm blessed that all of MY family is local.... so my solution is to take each of the older ones out for dinner for their birthday in 2021 instead of doing a big Christmas in 2021. As the birthday person, they get to choose which restaurant and I will pay for their dinner. This way I get to spend some one on one time with them on their birthday (and of course their sig other can come along as well). For the younger ones (I have 2 grandsons that are 10 and 7), I will still buy them a gift for their birthday instead of dinner out with grandma. This will be the first year that I've done this, so I'm sure there will be a "learning curve" ! :smiley:

Plus, we'll still have our big Christmas dinner get-together with all of them next year (providing the COVID situation is worked out by then), and I will buy one Christmas present for our large family gift exchange instead of buying something FOR ALL OF THEM!

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Herd Immunity
    As many people as possible should get the vaccination. Since children cannot be vaccinated (yet), and there are additional adults who either cannot or will not get the vaccine, we need every willing adult to go ahead and get the vaccine, or we will not achieve herd immunity. There simply won’t be enough vaccinated people if well-meaning healthy adults don’t get the vaccine. This is one of those counter-intuitive things…but getting the vaccine is a civic responsibility and everyone that can get it should do so. The goal is to contribute to, not rely on, herd immunity.

Karen in Virginia

Karen - along that line....
    When I checked a few days ago, the WA State DOH Vaccine guidelines said even if a person already had C-19, they still should get the vaccine.

Do you have any idea why this would be? Are antibodies produced as a response to having the virus no longer enough?

WA State has lowered the age from 70 to 65 as of yesterday, but in our area, there's still a real short supply so we may be months off, especially with more eligible folks in line.

So it's a great time to be anti-social and stay home and avoid crowds like we've been doing for the past few years anyhow. ;)

Thanks, always appreciate your input.

Lanette
    SW WA State
    I was also able to print out the "pass" that states that my mother is eligible for the vaccine now. However, like you, her county does not have enough vaccine, so they can't give it to her. I suggested that we try Thurston county, since it looked like a pharmacy in Tumwater was taking appointments, but she doesn't want to go out of her county. She is under the impression that she has to get it in her county of residence. I am fine with that. I'm not sure how she would handle a 40 minute each way drive to get a vaccine, and like you, she is happy to continue to shelter in place until it is her time.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

Lagopus wrote: »
    Kelly, you're brilliant, brain fuzz notwithstanding! What a great idea for a geography lesson!

/Penny, heading out into the dark to secure 10,000 steps for an ongoing challenge at the
    t07190.gif

PS: When you send your gingerbread men to Svalbard, make sure they've got headlamps if it's winter, and sunglasses if it's summer!

If you send your gingerbread men to southern California, they should wear layers. Hot in the day, cool when the sun goes down, no matter the season. Just remember to send them with masks.

Tina in CA

Send a raincoat here. And of course, as Tina said, a mask. :wink:

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR, where it actually isn't raining at the moment
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Hi Ladies!

There was another question about the pup, but I've already forgotten ...

It's been over 16 years since we've had a puppy. Any advice would be appreciated. Pip ... that early teething/biting that they do ... what's the best way to address it? I'm trying to redirect those sharp little teeth to his "toy" and not my body parts.

When we got Drew she liked to chew on my clothes and sheets. I have tiny holes as a reminder. She is a small dog only 13 pounds. I gave her an old T shirt with just a smidge of natural peanut butter no sugar no xylitol to chew on. Since doing this chewing went down. If she starts in I give her the T-shirt.

Avoid anything stringy. A friend of mine with a golden retriever puppy got a hold of a stringy cat toy and swallowed it. Major vet bill to get it removed. My friend does have trouble finding chew toys that Parker doesn't quickly destroy. I would go online and look for toys that are for hard chewers.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I've spent a good part of today reading through this thread and working on catching up! :smile:

Favorite exercises are jumping on my mini trampoline (rebounding), and walking - which I prefer to do OUTDOORS, but I recently purchased a treadmill because I'm getting too lazy to put on all those layers when I want to take a walk outside!

Bras and undies: Even though I'm currently wfh, I still get up and put on a sports bra everyday. As well as undies every day. Lol.

I have commented on many of the posts that I've read through today, but due to length, I've put the rest of this post in the spoiler.

Annie: That's awesome about your 365 day streak in French on Duolingo! I started (refreshing) on my Spanish a year or so ago, but with everything else going on in my life, I just couldn't keep it up. I'll return to it "someday" when things aren't quite so hectic. I had 2 years of Spanish in HS, and even tho that was over 40 years ago, I don't feel like starting over with a new language. Lol.

Beth: Cecil is SO stinking adorable! It makes me want to have another one! Lol. Seriously tho, he is too cute! And those paws! Whoa!

Dee: I'm the same way about walking outside vs walking on the treadmill. I can walk 5-10 miles easily OUTSIDE, but 30 mins on the treadmill and I think I'm gonna die! Lol. I've started watching Amazon Prime movies on my Kindle fire while I'm on the treadmill. IF I can find a decent movie to watch, I can usually get in 90 mins without too much trouble. :smiley: I live near Newark, OH which is about 35 miles east of Columbus. I actually work in Easton (when I'm not working from home). So cool that we're so close!

Flea: What an incredible bear story! When my 2 boys were little, we did do some hiking, and I could actually picture myself in YOUR story! SCARY!! Thankfully we never had anything like your experience. Thankfully you all got back safe and sound! I'm curious, did you ever tell your sons that story after they were older? What were their reactions? Lol.

Ginny: I too have very little strength in my arms! I have those ugly "granny" flabby arms (triceps) and really need to work much more on arm strength in the coming year. Good for YOU for making that a priority this year!

Heather: I loved the photo of your beautiful grandchildren. Even tho the weather was really dreary, it was a great pic!

Katla, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better from your fall a couple of weeks ago. I often tell my granddaughter that I can't "afford" to fall down! Lol. It stinks that they messed up the measurements and you have to WAIT some more for your glasses! :(

Kim: I'm so sorry to hear about your elderly mom's life situation with your abusive brother. That's awful and it really breaks my heart. I'm so glad that she has a safe place with you tho….

Kylia: Hello fellow Ohioan!! As I told Dee, I'm near Newark, which is just east of Columbus.

Lisa: Wow! I just came across your weight loss story. Your pictures (over a 10-year span) are an amazing transformation! And your wedding photo comparison was amazing as well! (I just love to see before/after photos!) My step-son is in the AF and is currently stationed in Little Rock. We usually go there to visit at Christmas, although this year we did not go due to COVID. They have 3 adopted children which are my DH only grandchildren. Oh, and I simply LOVED your statement "half bubble off plumb" !! I had to read that a couple of times! But it made me smile! I will have to remember that one!

Machka what beautiful pictures of Tasmania! It looks like you had a wonderful holiday! You have such a beautiful smile! I also loved the graduation photo! Congrats!

Also, Machka, your distances (which include cycling, walking and a bit of rowing) reminded me that I made a commitment to walk 2500 miles in 2021 (as measured by my fitbit steps -- which amounts to almost 5 million steps!) A couple of years ago I made a goal of 1000 miles and blew past that goal by fall of that year. I've always been quite a "walker" and that's usually my exercise of choice. Lol. Anyways, I keep a spreadsheet of my daily/monthly steps and will periodically post that here for accountability! Kudos to YOU for your mileage!

Penny: I did some reading on the internet (and of course pictures too!) about Svalbard and Longyearbyen. Wow! I'm always interested in "where" people are located around the globe and YOU win the prize for the most fascinating place (to me) !! :smiley:

Sue: How is your brother doing? Last I read, he was admitted (Jan 5) for COVID pneumonia. That's so scary right now. Prayers.

Tracey: I said a prayer for Dillon when I first read your post (earlier today), and will continue to pray for his recovery from COVID. I know I'm not completely caught up to date on the posts in this thread, but do you have an update on his condition?

Viv: you also took a fall on the ice back on Jan 3 I believe. (I've been reading through this whole thread). I hope you've recovered as well.

That's all for now - I'll read more tomorrow!
    Teresa in OH