WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Happy Friday!

I want to learn ASL. I am going to have to figure out how to get that goal done. I also want to learn to belly dance.

🦋
    Kylia in Ohio

Kylia: I was studying ASL online a few years ago, but eventually you need a real person to practice with! I've always had an interest in ASL. Check out this practice site! asl.ms I like that you can slow it down or speed it up! I'll message you the website that I used to study (it's FREE). AND I also had decided in December that for 2021 I wanted to learn to belly dance!! We must be distant cousins or something! Cool! :smiley:
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,372 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    Lisa: Egg is adorable! Where did the name "Egg" come from?
    Teresa in OH

Teresa:
    The short answer is "I don't know." The long answer is, I was driving home with this six-week old, scrawny kitten squalling in the cat carrier next to me, and thought "Well, I could name her Chick." And then I thought, "Why would you do that, when her name is Egg?" Love the house - don't love the idea of stairs or pig farms, so no envy from this quarter.

Betsy:
    Many good thoughts winging your way, no matter what the struggles are. Hope they're soon resolved.

Heather:
    The pics are just lovely--the blue of that sky is eye-popping on my monitor.

Can't seem to get started on anything - but it's supposed to be nearly 60 degrees this afternoon, so maybe I can get outside. Corey sent me pics of a half dozen piñon pines that they're throwing away (he works for a landscaping company). They're about five feet tall, he says, and there are plenty of places I would be happy to put them... He also sent pics and asked about three holly bushes, around three feet high. Not even sure why he asks, I always say "yes." He brought home five knockout roses in November, and another half a dozen red ones in the early fall. Plus we ended up with eight privet bushes, which are thriving... it's weird, I would have said I'm picky about plants. Turns out I'm just picky about where I put them!

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another Getting to Know You question ...

What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?

On what topic?

Machka in Oz

Hands down I would have to say CROCHET! :smiley:

I used to have a crochet/crafters group that met at my house twice a month. Some of us would crochet, some quilt, some work on different types of craft projects. Some just came for the company, to talk, and to get out of the house! It was a nice couple of hours and I miss it. I've helped a lot of women learn how to read a crochet pattern.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    B)
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tracey: I do find I get scrappers block more than I used to. I need to give myself permission to let go of the whole chronological thing. I have vacations to Australia, Africa, Yellowstone, Alaska, and my daughter's wedding that are all waiting on me and because I am doing it all chronologically it will be years if ever before I get to those books. I have told my kids that they can each pick books they especially enjoy, but they absolutely may not break of a book. I tell them it will give them reasons to get together to look at a particular event. I would have given up long ago if I had tried to make a book for each child.

I never got into the cardmaking although I did scrap several things for my daughter's wedding. I used to make one great card and then scan it and print it to use for holiday cards, but i don't even do that anymore.

job is a building leadership education position
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    My dinner plates are 10". Large! :o This dinner reminds me of happier times when I used to walk over the railway bridge to Wolfies to buy fish and chips for the family and bring them back to their house for supper around their kitchen table. Before my son was AF we always had champagne with it. That glass is Prosecco.
    Our first fish and chip supper since last March! It was really great. The portion of chips on the plate was about a quarter of the total! I left about half the batter, but ate all the fish inside. It took five minutes for the cyclist to arrive from the shop.
    4jn80567gds2.jpg

Happy Heather in Hove, xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Been resting alot today but will go to up to Trudys for a light dinner..
    And then tomorrow is errands ,im a little nervous about driving but i should be fine going to the bank,to get a covid test and see my pups tomorrow

I am trying to catch up on all the posts and was thrilled to read that you are not only back home up to driving- such great news.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    !!I've been slipping on tracking this week!!
    and it seems like all goes in that direction (slipping on cleaning on exercise, etc...)

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I got an ok for taking time of to finish my thesis which has been rough to get (even though training time is a right, here), but I'm waiting for confirmation that they are going to maintain 85% of my salary during the training time and not be tricky about that.

I felt a moment of joy when getting the answer (awaited for 6 months) and now we are contacting them regularly about that!, because they were hesitating... but am not sure they are respecting what they should in terms of money so keeping joy on hold.

letting home get into disorder after a few weeks of pretty good and clean...coinciding with not tracking and not going for walk....

yesterday not so bad cause I had about 3h at least of scooter riding which -though -not outright sport-actually is an activity, maybe especially in the city. today also a good hour of scooter. it's so unusual to be going out to meetings: yesterday to small meeting with colleagues and dentist later, and today to short appointment at work but I crossed long term colleagues and it made me feel so normal for a few minutes...
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new so just trying to find my way around

welcome!
    Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Debbie- going back later this afternoon ,they need to do a replacement valve rather than the repair,as the repair didnt work...
    I had to do a covid test down near the shoreline ,rapid test so now waiting on a call from hospital to go down for surgery on monday.
    Kylia- yes my right foot is swollen and im wearing my slippers..took an extra lasix last night.
    I stopped to see the pups,and they were so excited to see me,Alfie giving me lots of kisses...gosh how i miss them..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Tracey/Barbara -

Looks like Tracey's info is also what the CDC is recommending on the Covid vaccine.

I put it in a spoiler for those that don't want to see this stuff.

The CDC recommends being up-to-date on your immunizations like Flu, Shingles, Pneumonia and Tetanus. While waiting to become eligible to get the COVID-19 vaccine, you can schedule an appointment to get any of these immunizations if you are not up-to-date. The CDC recommends that other immunizations are given at least 2 weeks prior to receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.

Once you begin the COVID-19 vaccine series, it is not recommended to get another vaccine until two weeks after your second dose.

Get current with your vaccines so you are ready!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Y
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    If you have a single sink I just bought a dish pan that collapses and has handles and its own plug. We do have a double sink but I like to use a dish pan because it uses less water and it is easier to get to the plug in the dish pan when I want to let the water out. We do have a dishwasher but there are things I still like to wash by hand. It is also nice I can take the dish pan out if when need that sink. In the other sink I have a drying rack so it saves on counter space. I got it from a catalog and it is just what I wanted. This dish pan could turn a single sink into a double if needed.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I hope your surgery goes VERY well. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way. :heart:

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Tracey/Barbara -

Looks like Tracey's info is also what the CDC is recommending on the Covid vaccine.

I put it in a spoiler for those that don't want to see this stuff.

The CDC recommends being up-to-date on your immunizations like Flu, Shingles, Pneumonia and Tetanus. While waiting to become eligible to get the COVID-19 vaccine, you can schedule an appointment to get any of these immunizations if you are not up-to-date. The CDC recommends that other immunizations are given at least 2 weeks prior to receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.

Once you begin the COVID-19 vaccine series, it is not recommended to get another vaccine until two weeks after your second dose.

Get current with your vaccines so you are ready!

Okie in the TX Hill Country

That's how it was a year ago when I was getting my shingles vax and my measles vax. They couldn't be at exactly the same time.

I think that's fairly common.

M in Oz