WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am determined to get caught up! 😊

Tina – So glad you had a nice Sunday hike and found a place not overrun with people. The newer cars are so good on gas. Mine is not a hybrid, but I averaged 42 MPG during my drive to my friend’s home which is an hour north of me. Betsy the Beast averaged 28 MPG on her best days. Your cover remover seems to be looking at the camera and saying, perv, watching me take a bath. LOL!

Heather – It appears Nelly has already stolen her forever family’s heart. She is a cute dog. And, Edie’s face!

Alle – Oh, no. Can they use a baby needle to draw blood.

Babysitting – I must say I am a little taken back that it’s dismissed as a first job. I was babysitting in the 70s and clearing $50-$100 at 12! Hm, much more than many were making at “regular” jobs. 😊

Kylia – My microwave went kaputz over two years ago. At first I kept going to use it to warm things up but have adjusted to not having one.

Machka – Honestly, if I saw any animal chained, leased, tied to a balcony all day I would call the humane society. What they are doing is abusing the animal.

Rori – I hope you are able to take an hour (or two or three) to have a little celebration for yourself. Is the day caretaker still coming?

Tina – Hoping you are able to find that quiet space so you are able to untie your troubles.

RVRita – Hugs.

Vaccines – US – There is no magic supply. Hm, troubling yes. As stated early on it will take approximately two years to produce, transport, allocate, and administer shots to the world. FL is now having to ban those who do not live here. Apparently people are driving to states with some supply and are getting them.

Heather – Every time I read about your desire to throw pots I envision the scene in “Ghost”…..It’s one of my favorite “sexy” scenes in a movie. 😊

Meg – Welcome back!

Debbie – I am so incredibly sorry about your dad’s passing. Please take care of yourself both in body and spirit. Sending prayers to you and your family.

Tracey – I feel for both of your daughters and am every so thankful I work in a business-to-business outfit. I call consumers “gen-pop”. Since I am quite aware of how nasty gen-pop can be I always go out of my way to try and brighten those front-line worker’s days. People are mean and ugly.

Cathy – Like TX, FL is very organized in its distribution. People call in or go on-line, make an appointment, get to a distribution center, and receive their shots via a drive-through. One does not have to get out of their car! Our drive-through testing centers are being converted to drive-through shots. Of course the climate in FL makes this very easy.

Lisa – It sounds like you’re slowly adapting to your next phase. Love the view. Beautiful and so very relaxing. Oh, that was just one half of a Christmas tree. Yes, very scary and really confirms my view on cut trees as decorations.

KJ – Love the snow day pictures! The grands are adorable. So happy – finally inspection!!

Finally saw my first update post. Still have 8 more pages to go. I am determined! LOL…..

Bananas – Oh, but I must catch up. I miss too much when I do not. It really was a good weekend and we are planning a trip for mid-February to visit another dear friend. It will be a long road trip. One hour north from me to pick up my friend and then another four hours northwest to the hotel. FL is a huge state. I am pissed for you! They lost part of that test – I would be furious! Kim, I do not ask the person to put things in writing, during call/meeting I say I will email you with what we just discussed. In the email I ask them to put in anything I “may” have missed. I copy myself and keep an email folder for those “types”.

Machka – I considered getting a PhD. After calculating the cost (approximately $120k) and how many working years I have left, I decided there would be no ROI. From a personal perspective I would love to have those 3 little letters at the end of my name…… Love the pictures of you and DH canoeing – you both look like you are in your glory.

Kylia – Wow, you are amazing……I find work studying and tests are very different than those we choose to do. 😊

Barbara – No woodworking friends, but I have created a workable puzzle table using foam board bought at the dollar store! So, for $1.07 with tax, I have something I can move around the house (although I have to be very careful). Once the credit is applied to my account I will search for something a little lighter and mobile. The one I originally ordered was 18 pounds! Not very easy going up and down the stairs since it was quite large. Isn’t it amazing how much we can store in all of those places! I have organized things under the kitchen sink on trays and in plastic shoe containers so it’s easier to see what I have and clean out from time-to-time.

I am up to page 42. I may be able to catch up today! I must run and get ready to run some early morning errands. I prefer to be in the stores as they open versus after gen-pop has made a go of it. I am fully disturbed watching people’s habits……they touch things and then scratch their faces without cleaning their hands! I shudder!

Until my next visit I am sending prayers and positive thoughts to you all.
    SuziQ – SFL – Where the sun has not yet risen.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Playing catch up! Have a great weekend, ladies!

Lanette B)
    SW WA state
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Meg- ended up with open heart surgery to repair a leaky mitral valve,then ended up in hospital again with pneumonia and they checked my heart again, the valve still leaky after the surgery they are doing evaluation for heart kidney transplant... ive been put theoigh the ringer ,but dont really have a choice..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Outside beautiful......(it is winter in Ohio).......so let me think of yesterday.
    1) The Sun came out for a short while.
    2) The Snow squalls looked like we were in a snow globe for a short while
    3) The Sunset was full of shapes and colors
    4) The green of the evergreens across the street
    5) Deer grazing in the field.

That was hard! Winters in southern Ohio tend to be cloudy and grey. I always rejoice when the sun shines brightly! The snow squalls were pretty as I was not driving in them. The plus was it didn't stick around on the roads. We do have gorgeous sunsets though! I look for deer every evening on our way home.

I had to take our rollback up to the dealer for some work. I am currently driving a new Bronco Sport. It reminds me of my old Escape. It drives nice and is priced well. No, I am not buying one. It doesn't fit me. One of the problems I have with the new cars is they no longer put adjustable pedals on them and they turn off at stop signs etc. I don't like to be too close to windshield. My Flex is paid for and doesn't eat much in the garage. Am usually in my "work" truck which is a beautiful blue F150. But 20 years ago, I probably would have bought the Bronco Sport.

They are calling for snow off and on all weekend. No real plans. Maybe more cross stitch work....

Have a great Saturday. I need to get ready for work.

Welcome to the new ladies!
    Healing thoughts to all!
    Smiling because I have such a great support system of friends that I have not even met!

Kylia in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Saturday -- We went shopping and ordered new life jackets and picked up a few extra bits and pieces for canoeing! 🙂

Hopefully the life jackets will arrive quickly but we're not planning to go canoeing for a little while yet (and did not go today). The weather is just not nice right now.

Came home and worked on taking the Christmas decorations down. Not my favourite thing but it makes the next phase of cleaning and organisation easier.

Massive indigestion tonight and tired.

From last Wednesday ...
    rb2zl9xrh6kh.png

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    [quote="Whidislander;c-45652750"... I told the Chaplain, he's a good kid, just need to know everything's fine, and he's in a good headspace. Not depressed, or mad at us, or feeling like he can't confide in us with anything. ...Part of being a family to me, is the sharing the load of what you got on your plate in life, bouncing off things that happen to you etc. ... but I miss bouncing life off him. ... I find myself mourning for the kid!💖 So this might get the ball rolling and he'll either confess something, get mad at me for being so needy, or just apologize and that will be that, I will get a text ( like he agreed to) every month.👍💖
    [/quote]

@Whidislander Rebecca, It seems normal that you want to have some new. Just my experience, and each are different but I find that many people seem to have an extended "adolescence" in a way from about 15-35 when they need to not confide too much in parents, or talk too much, while they are sorting out and defining their own identities...because in a way they feel TOO influenced by parents. Can't just take what they say with a grain of salt. It surely varies from family to family and from kid to kid, and that doesn't make it better or easier, but possibly less alarming in some cases. These days with lockdown and all it's also so normal to be concerned if we have no or little news from someone.

@auntiebk this doctor must be close to 40 (in 30s or really 40s). He doesn't look alarmingly young. I'm also seeing posts I hadn't seen before. Joining you in the "hmmm."
    kevrit wrote: »
    Had a binge last night. I don’t know what triggered it. Today is another day and I can and will do better!

I have a mind to re-commit to healthy low carb, fasting, and getting more exercise each day! Depression BE GONE!!

RvRita
    @Kevrit Rita, sorry about the binge. I hope you feel better soon. I don't binge often now, or maybe not at all, knock on wood. it's pretty rare indeed, if I do, but I used to. my therapist , decades back, would have me write about my eating: what I ate, how I felt before, after, perhaps why I ate. or one could just free write about feelings. it might help. everyone's different. for me that kind of "looking more deeply, with compassion" (could be meditation-like too) was much more helpful long-term than strong resolve. But we are each different for sure!

@grandmallie (((hugs)))) thinking of you. How were the ultrasounds?

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) 700 people got vaccines yesterday. They plan to vaccinate 600 more tomorrow. We plan to go early on Tuesday

We have 650 approximately in our district next week. (population 135,000 of everyone). very small number. Here, they are starting with people over 75, and with health care workers over 50.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Bananas – Oh, but I must catch up. I miss too much when I do not. It really was a good weekend and we are planning a trip for mid-February to visit another dear friend. It will be a long road trip. One hour north from me to pick up my friend and then another four hours northwest to the hotel. FL is a huge state. I am pissed for you! They lost part of that test – I would be furious! Kim, I do not ask the person to put things in writing, during call/meeting I say I will email you with what we just discussed. In the email I ask them to put in anything I “may” have missed. I copy myself and keep an email folder for those “types”.

@SuziQ113 awesome in your catching up! I never make it with 2 weeks off. I'm so glad you are planning a visit for February. What can you do. I'm not furious, but annoyed. I had another appointment for Monday that I have to cancel. I've seen way worse medical errors in the large scheme of things. This is a pain (physically too) but had no major consequences; I get furious easily --like when I'm kept on hold for 2h to do a bank transfer from my bank that doesn't accept mails! :s But I'm just glad this is relatively catch-up-able. My Dr hesitated to ask me to redo since most people, rightly, find the test unpleasant.

-- We went shopping and ordered new life jackets and picked up a few extra bits and pieces for canoeing! 🙂

Massive indigestion tonight and tired.

life jackets is indication of fun to be had soon! sorry about the passing (no pun intended) health issues. I hope you feel better.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 I wonder if you could write to someone in insurance, registered letter, explaining the lack of logic about it, and the problem it's causing you.
    It may well not work but occasionally an explanation helps get through horrible red tape, hoops and so on. When I had asked for my 10 year residency card, decades back at the time I was living with my then boyfriend at 34 or so, in an apartment that his mom had left empty for years (just in case she broke up w her long term guy), while he retook up and finished his serious studies. We also had an old spare car that his dad had left (when he moved to the city where car is kind of impossible to use). So we basically had to pay for food and gas and car repair and not much else. we would just picnic, go for walks, go to the beach every couple of weeks, cook all our own food, split a pizza every 2 weeks for "eating out" and so on. The guy calling about the residence card was questioning whether I could live with my modest income (slightly less than the monthly minimum wage) and I yelled at them (after many months and years of red tape) that I don't NEED more money. And after yelling at them, they said, OK we'll give you your residency card. I was astonished. Also here for taxes if you write to or go see them and explain things, often they are understanding. Maybe you have already tried, but just in case- having a documented written explanation, explaining your situation and details and logic, and request be enlightening for them. Of course these things don't always work...
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Okay.. ..I just had the strangest thing happen. Went to clip my toenails and my baby toenail just came off! I painted them just before Christmas and all seemed well, but this morning it was only attached in one little spot. So see strange. I already have a doctor appt in two weeks so since it doesn't hurt, may just wait. Thoughts?

Kylia perplexed in Ohio
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did Denise Austin’s Fat Blasting Yoga DVD. I don’t know if it was just my mind or what, but I realized that I was on my toes doing things like a down dog and I thought I felt my foot feeling “funny” so I stopped doing that. Now to figure out a modification. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kathy Smith’s Ultimate Sculpt DVD

Jess left around 6 this morning to go back. She left early so that she’d avoid a snowfall on her way there. I think I’ll make baked rigatoni for Vince for next week. Got a loan of laundry in the wash. Want to wash a sheet that I think Colby used on the bed downstairs and the towels Jess used in addition to a few things of ours. Yea for me, I threw out the bagels she’d bought. Yes, they had a “best by” date that had passed, but with all the preservatives it was probably OK. I like bagels, but I threw them out. I also gave her her cereal, high sugar stuff.

Viv – I hear ya “the less I do, the less I want to do”. That’s why even with my foot, I at least did the body pump videos/DVD’s and why I’m now trying to do even just a little

Lindablueeyes – welcome!

Barbara – oh no, the vaccine is unavailable to you! That’s terrible

SuziQ – oh no, FL is banning travel by people who don’t live there! Hope that gets changed to people who don’t live there and haven’t had the vaccine. What do they do giving the vaccine to people when it rains? That’s good that you document things said in your meetings. Vince always said to me “document, document, document” in addition to “communicate, communicate, communicate”

I’m going to go over on calories today. I do want to finish up things that I’ll eat that Vince won’t that neither Jess nor Colby ate like the taco shells. Can’t return them since half of them were eaten. I do need to return a chicken fajita that Jess never ate. I would eat it, but it was never opened so I’ll return it.

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    For travel I would like to go to St. Louis to see my family that still lives there. I am one I like it when I get to my destination but I do not let all the prep that goes into travel and catching up when I get home. DH is not easy to travel with so I'd rather travel alone or with a friend. I enjoyed those trips to St. Louis I did on my own.

For natural beauty I continue to share pictures from all over the world on Facebook. When I walked Drew the other day we walked through the woods that are close to our home and it was snowing at the time quite lovely.

I will have to make walking outside brief the next few days. The sidewalks are covered in ice now because of a storm we had yesterday. I already fell once . Nothing broken or too damaged but I am sore and I will have to be careful with one of my knees as I recover.

SuziQ thank you for that heads up about FL. I have a friend who is going to rent a house in FL at the end of January. I will let her know what you told me so she can look into how she and DH can get their shot. She has cancer and he has medical issues too so I know she is anxious to get shots for them.

I did look it up FL does not currently have a ban on travel.
    :heart: Margaret
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    travel:
    the idea seems so FAR AWAY. I had a hard time getting my head around the idea. And no ideas in mind. I tend not to plan distant travel as it's not ecological (big carbon footprint) and I figure living in Europe and needing to see my family of origin or home country at least every 2 years minimum most times, I'm already way using up my share of carbon footprint. I generally fly to the usa every 2 years or so (sometimes every year) and to Italy every 2 years or so. and otherwise trips in France by train (and recently by rental car).

After a while the idea of travel sounds nice. Presumably I can go somewhere new some day! At least to one presumably. I would probably start with Italy and Greece since not too far, and not too expensive relatively speaking. I do travel there by plane, unfortunately for the environment. By land it takes days- so : costly and tiring. When (if) I retire I can maybe travel more slowly, if health and budget permit.
    If money were not a question, would stay in moderate priced places, maybe a high rated budget places with an occasional night or two here or there in luxury place. I tend to eat 1 meal per day out, looking for local moderate prices (or top quality budget) and picnic 1 meal, and picnic breakfast, and many teas and coffees out in cafés. Walking around tons. Maybe driving a bit in southern Italy, in Ireland, not sure about Rhodes. no car for Bilbao and Madrid I think...no car for Asia...Road trip(s) for the usa...in the usa i's surely visit old friends family here and there...

But carbon footprint notwithstanding:

visiting family in usa
    there are many places in the usa that I have not been to that I would like to discover:
    georgia
    New Orleans+
    see the presidents carved in the mountains,
    old faithful at Yellowstone, +
    maybe Alaska (brrrr),
    Nashville, ++
    Texas. ++
    (Those places in the middle south sound very exotic to me.)
    Seatle
    maybe Portsmouth...
    maybe see almish country in Pennsylvania as is possible, and mormon vibe in Utah...
    maybe Vancouver

Europe:
    Ireland++
    Denmark+
    Naples area+
    Southern Italy, including Sicily +
    Bilbao
    Porto
    Madrid
    Grenada

Some greek islands:
    Rhodes+

Asia
    Japan+
    China :
    Tianjin (I think this is the city my grandma was an English teacher in 100 years ago!)
    Xian

Kenya- was a school teacher there for 7 months at about age 21. I would love to go back to see what's up where I was.

In France:
    Strasbourg
    maybe Lilles
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Lille not Lilles
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I believe Suzi meant non residents were banned from getting vaccines in FL, not that travel to FL was banned.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 I wonder if you could write to someone in insurance, registered letter, explaining the lack of logic about it, and the problem it's causing you.
    It may well not work but occasionally an explanation helps get through horrible red tape, hoops and so on. When I had asked for my 10 year residency card, decades back at the time I was living with my then boyfriend at 34 or so, in an apartment that his mom had left empty for years (just in case she broke up w her long term guy), while he retook up and finished his serious studies. We also had an old spare car that his dad had left (when he moved to the city where car is kind of impossible to use). So we basically had to pay for food and gas and car repair and not much else. we would just picnic, go for walks, go to the beach every couple of weeks, cook all our own food, split a pizza every 2 weeks for "eating out" and so on. The guy calling about the residence card was questioning whether I could live with my modest income (slightly less than the monthly minimum wage) and I yelled at them (after many months and years of red tape) that I don't NEED more money. And after yelling at them, they said, OK we'll give you your residency card. I was astonished. Also here for taxes if you write to or go see them and explain things, often they are understanding. Maybe you have already tried, but just in case- having a documented written explanation, explaining your situation and details and logic, and request be enlightening for them. Of course these things don't always work...

They know and I know what's going on. They are following the law and they do not care how it affects us. We are also following the law abiding by all the rules.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Good things done
    1. Good online (telephone + google doc) meeting
    2. Little walk before work meeting in early-is morning
    3. Tracked all so far

Grateful
    1. Very pretty snowfall today (unusual here), nice to see on a non-commuting day!
    2. Cafés that are still service espresso
    3. Pretty compatible and relatively efficient working style with one colleague at present.
    4. Possibility to go for 2nd (short) walk today.
    5. Ingredients for some healthy food at home

Only 3 H left before 6pm curfew. some people, understandably prefer lockdown to curfew. don't know. With lockdown, you could still go out to buy food or other (or work), or go for a walk till 9pm (or regular closing time), or later. Now all is closed at 6pm and we are not supposed to go out except if one has a DOG to walk! anyway. going out now to get food and to walk a bit.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊🙂🌝😁
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,119 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    2yecvdlc09d7.png

1. The sunlight glinting in the puddles.
    2. The warmth of the sun on my face
    3. The tiny green spears of spring bulbs pushing up into the light.
    4. The cacophony of the flock of sparrows that filled our hedge and trees as we left the house.
    5. The song thrushes singing in the park.

We like to get out and walk every day when the weather is fine. We've been very lucky the last few days for the ward has been showery there have been a reasonably long periods when the sun has been out.

Today after lunch I had a pleasant 1 hour walk with DH in our nearby linear park. The park is only five minutes away from home. We are privileged that we have the park and the beach quite close by.

Yesterday we walked with my younger girl (socially distanced) and her dogs along the coastal path. Although it was very muddy it was very enjoyable because we had the right footwear on. It's a National Trust wildlife reserve. Although it was very muddy it was very enjoyable because we had the right footwear on. There's lots of wildlife there so it was very interesting.

I am having an Active rest day today. I will spend the rest of the afternoon watching television and catching up on my reading.

Welcome to all the new people. We are a friendly bunch who will post quite a lot. I don't feel that you need to answer every single post. No one minds if you just read along. Ask questions and you will also get helpful answers.

Barbie: I hope you enjoyed your anniversary.

Allie: (((Hugs))) I'm keeping you in my thoughts and the days ahead.

It seems that a lot of statements were made about delivery of the vaccines, which are proving to be inaccurate as far as the numbers available. Even if we do get the vaccine, we really really need to stick with the precautions we are taking for a while yet, until we see how things go. At 74 DH and I should have been getting it by the middle of February, but the present difficulties with delivery of the vaccine would suggest that is also an empty promise.

☘️ Terri

#livinginhope #takingresponibility #doingitformyselfand others