Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    So Florida has finally caught on that people are coming to Florida for "Vaccine Vacations", even foreigners. As of yesterday, they have gotten smarter and are tightening up who qualify for the vaccines currently being distributed.

I saw that and was relieved for the Florida folks! The news interviewed people coming in from other countries just to get vaccinated: from Canada to Argentina to Columbia.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    So Florida has finally caught on that people are coming to Florida for "Vaccine Vacations", even foreigners. As of yesterday, they have gotten smarter and are tightening up who qualify for the vaccines currently being distributed.

I saw that and was relieved for the Florida folks! The news interviewed people coming in from other countries just to get vaccinated: from Canada to Argentina to Columbia.
    What worries me about the current situation is, what about poor and homeless people who have no ID? It’s pretty easy to fall off the planet as far as having a valid driver’s license, and the sort of person who ends up in this situation is also likely to be living in a group situation where Covid spreads easily.

Yes it's the poor in most countries that will have to deal with more cases of this I think. Very sad for sure.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    NYC officially ran out of doses. We expect to get more some time next week. Still so many vulnerable that need it. I'm probably last in line to even see it.

I recall reading that NYC was like Florida in that a non-insignificant portion of their shots were going to non-NYC residents.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    NYC officially ran out of doses. We expect to get more some time next week. Still so many vulnerable that need it. I'm probably last in line to even see it.

I recall reading that NYC was like Florida in that a non-insignificant portion of their shots were going to non-NYC residents.

I'm not sure about that. Even so, still not enough doses in a general sense.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member

Our county in TN has been without vaccine for 3 weeks with no news on whether we will get any anytime soon.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Hopefully the vaccine rollout going forward in the USA will become more reliable and the communication about who, where, how to get it will become better. My concern with some of the elderly or homeless who need it now is that in order to get on it you must have access to internet and be adept at finding things on the internet, etc. The local fairgrounds opened drive through site for appointments and was booked solid within 30 minutes. Same with the nearby clinic. I thought my doctors office would notify me when the clinic would get vaccines, even heard that from a nurse, but that is not the case, probably because they couldn't know for sure when or how much they would get. Things are going to get better now, we've got professionals in charge and they've got a plan!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Just heard a radio report this AM, so went looking for details. What I found reinforces what people are saying about other states:

Michigan would like to be getting 50,000 shots in arms daily, but are delivering around 23,000 recently, reportedly mostly due to supply. (That's what I see here: The mechanisms are geared up, seem to be operating efficiently, but don't have supply so can't make many appointments.)

Counties (or coalitions of them, in some more sparsely-populated regions) are primarily responsible for facilitating these first public distributions. Some counties are doing better than others (logistically and numbers), but in most counties at least 5-6% of the population have gotten the first dose, and some the second. Twelve counties are in double digits (10-17%), mostly the sparsely-populated upper peninsula, reportedly because they received higher supplies per capita early on. Nine counties are below 5%. (There are 83 counties total.) The overall state rate for first shots is just over 6% of population.

Source of details: https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2021/01/6-of-michigan-adults-vaccinated-against-covid-19-so-far-see-numbers-in-your-county.html
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Not sure how the other states allocations have been, supposedly by population? but heard on the tv that Iowa is 35th by population, but their allocation is in 48th place, and we have a relatively older population compared to some. Think I will be waiting for awhile for an appointment. But still thankful that they have now moved people 65+ up the list a little.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member

I'm not sure about that. Even so, still not enough doses in a general sense.

from CNN:

New York City has vaccinated health care workers or other essential workers like teachers or firefighters who work in the city but live outside the five boroughs. According to NYC data, about 73% of those NYC has vaccinated live in the city, 15% live in another part of New York state, and the rest live in New Jersey, Connecticut, or another state or did not provide their residence.