January 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Went for a run around a couple of islands in the harbour today. Caught the ferry with four friends expecting a rather long and hot day.

Rangitoto is a dormant volcano so running was on very uneven and sharp scoria (stuff you truly don’t want to fall over on). It was pretty slow going until we crossed the causeway to Motutapu. This is farmland so lots of grass. Fortunately, trails had been mown through a lot of it but it was still rather uneven underfoot. After a couple of hours my ankles were quite sore from having to work so hard.

The other complication was our leader (who is Swiss). She told me Motutapu was flat. It is patently obvious Rangitoto is not but she said we’d do 20km around Motutapu and then those with the will and the energy could go up Rangitoto, about another 10km. Anyway, she lied. Apparently the Swiss have a different idea of what constitutes a hill.

When we got to the fork in the trail saying 45mins to the summit or 45 mins to the wharf and the ferry home my legs were shot. We’d done 22km incorporating 500m-plus of elevation. That’s some serious climbing. I could not handle another 6km (the best guess as to the distance to the top then back down). Consequently I and another woman headed to the wharf while the other three headed to the summit.

By the time we got to the wharf we were close on 25km. About 15 minutes later our friends arrived. Turns out the route to the summit then back down was only 850 metres longer than the flattish route we took home. I was gutted. I really wanted to go up the volcano but had no way of knowing it was such a short detour! Next time. Although I don’t think that will come too soon. It was a hard day.

Fortunately the weather was on our side. It can be blistering out there - they say it’s usually 5 degrees hotter than the mainland. The black rock absorbs the heat and you can feel it coming up under you. Also, there are very few trees so you’re at the mercy of the sun. We had heavy cloud and drizzle for much of the day - still very warm and super humid - but not unbearable. We had to carry a lot of water plus had more supplies stashed at the wharf for after (no drinkable water on either island).

Great day. Lots of laughs (mostly at the expense of the Swiss friend who confidently pronounced at the end that anything under 1000 metres elevation is flattish).

Incidentally, her Strava shows less than 100 metres extra climbing to ascend Rangitoto!

A few pics below:
    aa0ev10l52lg.jpeg

dpxrxneb203m.jpeg

ejxeo291a4as.jpeg

kwzd300461pv.jpeg

jelry5qednez.jpeg

ckarj18seqt6.jpeg

m17i8nmn4vvt.jpeg

Oh wow! I've visited Rangitoto but not to run it. Absolutely incredible. And I remember the heat! Did you see the americas cup boats racing at all? Sounds like a fantastic day!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member
    We’re they racing today?

Sorry, not much of a sailor. And it was raining on the ferry home so we were indoors.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    That looks an amazing run @ContraryMaryMary
    Nice HM @scott6255
    I clicked 'like' @skippygirlsmom though I had to look through partly closed eyes!

Wk 3 (17/01-23/01):
    Steps - 133,647
    Steps total miles - 76.0
    Jalk miles - 1.46
    Run miles - 56.96
    Cycle miles - 0.00
    Adjusted exercise miles - 72.66

Cumulative 2021 :
    Steps - 356,582
    Steps total miles - 205.10
    Jalk miles - 13.69
    Run miles - 127.17
    Cycle miles - 38.42
    Adjusted exercise miles - 185.46

exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    I’ll have to get X-rays from the doctors office but here my after surgery pictures. She’s the best she worked hard to line up the Dad on my tattoo. She thinks she will be almost as good as new.
    b7u1s1coalo4.jpeg
    q2jd22wbnuzp.jpeg

Ouch!!!! That made my ankle hurt!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,948 Member
    I somehow missed your post on the mud run @dreamer12151 ! That sounds awful, but so glad that you had people to cheer you on and get you moving.

@katharmonic That's a great way to look at our shoe size. I do sometimes get annoyed that there are limited choices of colors in that size. Glad you got in a nice run with your friend and have overcome your fear of getting off the ski lift. I remember when I first skied I had the same fear...that I would fall and then everyone behind me would trip over the top of me. LOL I hope you have fun today.

@ContraryMaryMary That sounds like a rough, but fun day. Love the pictures.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,948 Member
    @Faebert Yeah for 4 miles. You are right - progress is progress! You are doing great!

@marisap2010 I'm with you and want to find some interesting places to run when I am allowed. Running the some routes does get boring. Love the park you ran in today!

@SummerSkier Yeah for the PB's on distance and time. So....what was your final total? I talk to myself all the time too, but mostly trying to talk myself out of stopping before I should. LOL

Great running yesterday @Teresa502 !

@Tramboman Yeah for the ice beard, I think. It must have been good since you said the fun was coming back into the run. I am thrilled for you!

@katharmonic Glad you enjoyed skiing today! The more you do it, the better you will get. Sounds like you're doing great already!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Today's plans called for lunch at my mom's, with my Aunt, and then a friend was to take me grocery shopping in the late afternoon. So, I walked 30 minutes, stopping at mom's. Walked a total of 30:31 minutes and 1.75 miles. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so will probably stay home and walk on the treadmill.

You are doing so well in your recovery! Hope you sleep well tonight after all that activity!