WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Debby- prayers for daughters and you. Screening for a mammogram? I just call our breast center once a year and schedule. I need to learn to call sooner. Was due in October. Called in December. Appointment the end of March. I am not as reluctant to go since it is now 3D imaging. I got tired of going in for a mammogram, then going in for an ultrasound. 3D is much better! Sorry you have to wait.

Waiting for snow here too. Stay safe!

Kate those socks look wonderful!

Pip as always your stats impress!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Bananas - I don't have Netflix, though I have heard good things about Call My Agent. There are a couple of other box sets I would have liked to see, but I'm too mean to pay for anything! I pay my BBC licence fee and nothing else. Our TV is too old for the Internet anyway,so I could only watch it on my tablet. I will maybe give in one day, but it pains me to pay monthly bills. We try to keep outgoings to a minimum, no extras. Actually I must remember to ask my son if I can piggyback my tablet on his subscription. There's a new one called 'The Dig' that I would like to see.
    I do have Amazon Prime, for the shopping, but also because I am a magazine addict and used to buy a magazine on every shopping trip. Now I read them on my tablet on Prime, so that is a definite actual saving. I very occasionally watch a foreign film on Prime.
    I already have a back up of things I want to watch on my recorder. Hard to find time to get around to them as there is quite a lot of good stuff on the TV at the moment. I have whole series waiting for me.
    I buy the Guardian on Saturdays, mainly for the TV guide, and plan our weekly watch, plus things to set the recorder for. It's quite an operation. If there are things only I want to watch, not DH, I catch up on my tablet while I am doing my bonus exercises.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,288 Member
    Kylia,
    Thanks for reminding me about the Instant Pot! My daughter brought mine back to me at Thanksgiving (long story) and I totally spaced that I had it. I want to start making yogurt in it. Any tips from the yogurt makers? I know you're out there.... :smiley:

Lisa
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Hi friends. Today was DH’s first day of home confinement, so after I had lab drawn, we went to breakfast. We were going to get take out but it wasn’t crowded so we stayed there to eat. I had the most magnificent blue crab-avocado toast! OMG it was good. Tonight is my first attempt at ravioli making. I bought a press and have a recipe for spinach lemon ravioli, so we’ll see how it goes!

Allie I’m so glad you are on the mend!

Lisa: it’s hard to feel anything for someone you’ve not been in contact with. Don’t beat yourself up.

Isn’t it just maddening when doctors don’t listen to you??? That’s why I love my doctor. She gives me the respect of being the person who knows me the best on top of professional respect for my profession.

Speaking of talking; the conversation about talking was quite amusing. I tend to talk right over people and I’m trying to break that habit. I even talk over myself sometimes.

Virgill: OMG I had not noticed your “pic” before and about died laughing. Love it!

Teri: I love the sign! I need one of those!

The snow has melted just a bit here because we got a little rain, but it’s still deep and pretty. Take care everyone, Meg from Omaha

• kymarai
    5ndjni225jkh.jpg
    Dinner was a success. The meat wasn't as tender as I would have liked. Recipe said salute for 6-8 mins. Add vegetables, broth, seasonings, pressure 8 mins. Natural release about 25 mins. I will check other recipes, but am thinking maybe pressure the meat a little longer with the broth, then add veggies, pressure a little longer, then natural release. IP users, sound like a plan? Everyone tells me how tender it makes the meat, but neither time I have used it has my meat been tender.

HeatherUK You pay for regular tv? We pay for satellite or cable, but there are lots of channels on air with just an antenna. I need to see if I can make streaming choices that fit both Steve and I . It would need be easy for him to select. It has to be cheaper than our direct tv bill!

Meg Both breakfast and dinner sound wonderful! I am glad your husband is home now. Let us know how the ravioli turns out.

Still waiting for snow.... time to clean up kitchen, get some steps in and water.

Virgill I too love your pic!

TTFN
    Kylia
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    Went for pre screening the other evening for mammogram,waiting on call to schedule that.Oldest daughter still in the hospital for depression/anxiety and other things.Youngest daughter had surgery to remove cancer,waiting on results for that and how she needs to proceed.I’ve missed so much here.
    Debby waiting for more snow in Va

(((Hugs))) & 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for your daughters. Hope the mammogram is clear.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Here comes Valentine's day! I'm still seeing Steven, or I would be if not for this darn virus. We text, but things are cooling off without physical contact. He lives three hours away. We are sort of in a holding pattern waiting for the vaccine, which will take months. So I need to think of a present that says something short of Love, but leaves open the chance. Hmmm.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    My 2 cents’ worth on the IP questions:

Use whole milk for yogurt making if you want the probiotics to actually contribute to your gut biome. We use half-and-half (half whole milk & half cream).

Fatty cuts of meat work better in the IP than lean meats, which tend to overcook & end up tough or dry or both.

Karen in Virginia
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    kymarai wrote: »
    5ndjni225jkh.jpg
    Dinner was a success. The meat wasn't as tender as I would have liked. Recipe said salute for 6-8 mins. Add vegetables, broth, seasonings, pressure 8 mins. Natural release about 25 mins. I will check other recipes, but am thinking maybe pressure the meat a little longer with the broth, then add veggies, pressure a little longer, then natural release. IP users, sound like a plan? Everyone tells me how tender it makes the meat, but neither time I have used it has my meat been tender.

HeatherUK You pay for regular tv? We pay for satellite or cable, but there are lots of channels on air with just an antenna. I need to see if I can make streaming choices that fit both Steve and I . It would need be easy for him to select. It has to be cheaper than our direct tv bill!

Meg Both breakfast and dinner sound wonderful! I am glad your husband is home now. Let us know how the ravioli turns out.

Still waiting for snow.... time to clean up kitchen, get some steps in and water.

Virgill I too love your pic!

TTFN
    Kylia

Next time, cook the meat at least 20 min- I did 25 for broccoli beef(just the meat,broth, ginger and garlic) and added the broccoli after it did the natural release, added broccoli, set it to 0min and then released after a couple minutes. Then added the oyster sauce and a little tapioca starch slurry to thicken it up. Turned out pretty good- just should have added more garlic/ginger/oyster sauce

Debbie
  • kymarai
    Thank you Karen and Debbie . I rarely buy beef, when I do it is steaks. We almost exclusively eat venison as our red meat at home. Boneless chicken breast is the other meat. Occasionally a whole chicken (like for chicken and dumplings). Next time I will try longer cooking time. I can't make it fatter. 🙄
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Bananas - but I'm too mean to pay for anything! I pay my BBC licence fee and nothing else. Our TV is too old for the Internet anyway,so I could only watch it on my tablet. I will maybe give in one day, but it pains me to pay monthly bills. We try to keep outgoings to a minimum, no extras. Actually I must remember to ask my son if I can piggyback my tablet on his subscription.
    I do have Amazon Prime...
    I already have a back up of things I want to watch on my recorder. Hard to find time to get around to them as there is quite a lot of good stuff on the TV at the moment. I have whole series waiting for me.
    I buy the Guardian on Saturdays, mainly for the TV guide, and plan our weekly watch, plus things to set the recorder for. It's quite an operation. If there are things only I want to watch, not DH, I catch up on my tablet while I am doing my bonus exercises.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I think on Netflix I think you get to stream for 2 devices simultaneously with basic subscription.
    I'm not big on subscriptions either, but its way less than going to a movie 1x a month was, or buying or renting DVDS, but I hear you. there are so many potential subscriptions;

I have the basic Netflix subscription (not HD) and also Nytimes.com subscription. I long hesitated for the latter but I'm really happy to have it. i also pay for getting vpn so I can watch free things in other countries that I couldn't watch otherwise.

but I don't have amazon prime or any others
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2021
    Kylia - IP would not be my first choice to cook either venison or boneless chicken breast…both too lean. Having said that, I have read many IP recipes of “fall-apart tender” lean meat dishes, so it must be possible!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Machka - I can’t have a lilac bush because my husband is allergic to the scent. I enjoy the Spring and going for walks and enjoying it though.

My hip is frozen, and I have been using my lower back to do everything, including sitting, standing and walking. It is all due to poor posture. The therapist has told me we will get it unlocked and then we’ll work on exercises to avoid it in the future.

I like some quiet time at home after a work week too.

Margaret - sorry to read about your niece.

Heather - Cabs for Jabs, what a great idea. I don’t think that officials think of these issues.

Barbara- that sounds like an expensive trip to the dentist. I like the idea of a zoom call.

Allie - it’s wonderful to see your post.

Lisa - I don’t think there is a rule anywhere that states how or if you have to react with news of that sort. anyone. If you weren’t close and hadn’t spoken in years why start now. I don’t think it makes you defective or anything, it makes you honest in my opinion.

Annie - why is your Dad pushing your Mom to exercise more. Is she doing any? I’m just curious.

Speech - I am pretty good at understanding accents and different cadences of speech. However, French Canadians always get me. I have managed multiple nationalities over the years and that one always causes me grief.

Bone density - I had a nose density scan the day after I turned 50, that is health recommendations here. I remember finding it funny at the time, I tried to make the appointment the same day as other medical appointments that were scheduled the day before my birthday. They couldn’t do it as the cost wouldn’t be covered under our provincial health plan until I turned 50.

Katla - I agree, I wouldn’t want to be in charge of this vaccine rollout or pandemic rules either. They can’t please everyone and are always going to have someone on their case.

I haven’t heard the story about the stranded motorists and the vaccine. What a wonderful thing to do. The government probably wouldn’t allow it here.

Barbara - I jump in too quick and don’t give people a chance too. I struggle terribly with it.
    I also have a terrible habit of assuming what someone is going to say. My husband just gives me a “look” now and says “let me finish”. I’ve learned a lot of times I was wrong, but I still continue to do it.
    On the other hand, If someone just needs an ear without interruption because they are hurting I can listen for hours even to the silences and through the tears.

Kylia - I would be annoyed too. They sure do try to take advantage of your work ethic and just handle it all attitude. You have much more patience than I, I would be looking for other work I think.

Heather - I have a friend who buys a Netflix gift card to use for a couple of months or so. They do it once a year or so, catch up on shows they want to see and then let’s it expire again until there is a new round of shows on.

I grew up on “country cable”, my grandparents lived up a little knoll and had an antenna so they got one more station than we did. I remember they used to plan their shows for the evening when the paper came out on Wednesday’s. No recorders, of course, so they watched it all live. I remember when Alex Haley’s Roots miniseries was on, my Grandmother who never told me I couldn’t visit told me if I wanted to chat I would have to go home as she intended to watch her show uninterrupted. I think it was the first time I was ever kicked out of her house. 😂

I don’t have an instant pot but have heard so many good things about it. I’m giving it some thought.

I talked to my cousin today for about 40 minutes. She was released yesterday. She said it’s good to be home. They reviewed all of her meds and found that she was on some that could interact negatively to one another and may have been causing some of her issues. The physiologist took her off them. She said she used a “big word” yesterday for the first time in months and she hasn’t felt like her brain is in a fog.

I had physio again today, she wants to see me twice this coming week as well. She thinks it is loosening up some though.

After physio I went to a small neighbouring town to go to a couple of antique stores. They were very busy. I bought some old packaging for decorations in my bathroom. I also bought some vinyl albums for our daughter’s birthdays that are this week. Lauryn like really old country music and I bought her 3 albums of mixed singers, one is a double album. I bought Kaitlyn, who is more particular about who she listens to, a Willie Nelson and a Kenny Rogers album. She had asked for Willow last year and she admitted that she really didn’t know Kenny. Since Kenny was one of my favourites and this album is the one that really introduced me to him back in the 80’s I thought she would appreciate it.

I’m going to soak in a long hot tub and then I need to do my exercises for physio.

No news on Dillon, his mother posted yesterday that she should be allowed in today.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Ooooo
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    kymarai wrote: »
    Debby- prayers for daughters and you. Screening for a mammogram? I just call our breast center once a year and schedule. I need to learn to call sooner. Was due in October. Called in December. Appointment the end of March. I am not as reluctant to go since it is now 3D imaging. I got tired of going in for a mammogram, then going in for an ultrasound. 3D is much better! Sorry you have to wait.

Here, they contact you.

Every 2 years I get a letter saying that a tentative appointment has been made for a certain date, and I need to call to confirm.

I got my most recent letter in December but delayed calling to confirm because I was busy with other things so when I did, that appointment was gone but they had one for me in January.

It's just a mammogram here unless they find something suspicious. This time I was all clear.

M in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Tracey, my mom gets very little exercise. She basically sits in her spot on the couch all day. Her memory is going bad, and my dad thinks a little exercise would help all around.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did the AM Yoga DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10 Minute Solution Butt Lift DVd.

Katla – as I did my yoga this morning, I thought of you. Can you do yoga DVD’s at home?

Diane – welcome! I’m so sorry you had to go thru all that. You are one strong person

A friend of ours whose husband passed away had a “virtual memorial service”. I’d never heard of one. Basically, it was a zoom memorial service. She said she’s going to have a church service once we can all get together. I know a lot of people are planning that. But I wonder if it’s a good idea. The remaining spouse needs to “get on”. Sure, the memory of the dead person will always be with them. But will an in-person memorial a few months later open new wounds? Remind them?

I’m not surprised that the hips affect the knees. I know that the hamstrings affect the lower back.

Kylia – I made a sour cream chocolate cake for Vince and he put chocolate sauce on it!

Debbie – as far as requesting a BDT, honestly, I would make a PITA of myself until the doc finally breaks down and orders it. Like I said, I am sure she ordered it just to shut me up.

Deborah – welcome!

Sue WA – Welcome!

Mrs_Hoffer (I forget your name) – I tried the sauerkraut the second time. Maybe I didn’t massage it enough the first time around. Anyway, after 24 hrs it wasn’t submerged so I added water and a little bit more salt.This time I used the iodized salt. Previously, I used sea salt. I don’t know if that makes any difference or not. We shall see, it’s fermenting right now.

Debbie VA – (((HUG)))

They’re having this free shredding at the library (they do this every year). The line of cars to drop off items was outrageous. Well, Vince parked in a lower parking lot, walked his items to be shredded up to the can where they were taking it, put it in, and walked back to the car. I’m sure that really endeared him to the people who were waiting in line. Well, that’s what you get for wanting to stay in your warm car. Then went to see Adra whose husband passed away in late December. Took her a spinach feta pie since she liked it once before. Got to see her new kitten and saw the other cat. Vince is a real cat person so he was really happy. Went to the other WalMart so Vince can pick up his prescription, Came home and made these chocolate cookies for Vince for during the week (after he finishes the banana bread that we have), now making pineapple zucchini muffins for me.

Just watched a livestream from The Green Room of “Alfred Hitchcock” Actually, I really wasn’t all that interested in what the story was about but I did want to try out this livestreaming. Honestly, in many ways I preferred it to having to be there. First of all, we didn’t have to go out in the cold. Another thing was that I could watch it in my slippers. Best of all…I didn’t have to wear that stupid mask. I would definitely consider doing it again. Yes, I do love live theater. But this is a close second.

Meg – I must have missed it, what is “home confinement”. Why is your husband just now having to do it? Those ravioli sound delish

Kylia – congrats on dinner. It looks so so good

The recipe for the pineapple zucchini muffins called for raisins and for some reason I didn’t add them. Should have. I think it would have added a little something to the flavor. But they’re still good

Michele NC