WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,891 Member
    Options
    actually I think you can get cheap (and possibly ugly) reading glasses at the pharmacy. I think my correction is about 0.5 for reading. possible to do without but a little bit tiring maybe.
    actually it's getting darned hard to read tiny food labels; I can get it just barely most of the time.

When you can, go to an optometrist!

Having the right glasses has made a big difference to me ... less eyestrain, tiredness and headaches.

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    On the notion of reading glasses... While my ordinary vision is fine for driving, etc., I've been using reading glasses for nearly 20 years. My computer glasses are a 2x and my glasses for reading print are a 3x. I've ordered them online and I've picked them up at Walmart, and there is little difference in the two. I keep the 3x ones all over the house, so I can read pill bottles and recipes and such, and try to keep my 2x glasses at my computer. One thing that's helped a lot is to buy pink frame glasses for my computer reading and black/brown framed glasses for my print ones. I'm just pleased that I stalled at about 3x, as it's harder to find the cheaper ones once you need higher magnification.

That said, if I need more magnification, such as in very low light or very tiny print, I use two pair--they're additive, so two 3x glasses will give you a 6x magnification.

I cannot wear them on a string, though my husband urges me to because he tires of trying to find them for me, but I can't even wear a necklace without feeling choked, so that's out. I also can't walk in them, because they make me trip... so they spend a lot of time on the top of my head.

:smiley:

Lisa in AR
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »

Favorite scents: baby puppy milk breath, cloroxed laundry, baking cookies, sauteeing garlic, Christmas trees....
    Julie “. . .more high and fast when I'm stressed. . .” ditto.
    Dee safe travels. Know you’ll knock ‘em dead!
    Tracey ((hugs))
    Debbie in Napa Valley would you share a pic of your airfryer? Can you use it for everything for which you used the toaster oven?
    Michele dairy helps cool hot chili. Sour cream, cheese. Boiled potatoes might help too. If you can fish out any of the chili peppers’ seeds or whitestuff that’s where the really hot stuff lies.

@auntiebk i can enjoy smell of garlic (to you and heather) though it's not top of the list, cloroxed laundry : definitely not! some aversion to the strong chemical smell. But some other chemical smells evoke nice memories (smell of train tracks in countryside...) it's funny how some love garlic and other smell and others really not.

To COOL DOWN CHILI
    I got in the answers someone made too hot chili. Been there. made a massive pot to bring to a friends' for a potluck. To know: for certain fresh peppers, it depends on the individual pepper! when comparing hotness of two peppers of same hotness, one can by massively hotter than the other.This one, in tiny dose set quarts of chili aflame. Added dairy but also pineapple was recommended, and lemon. I just read nut butter, olive oil, vinegar and wine can also help. I halved it and rebooted and added pineapple and dairy and it was still flaming but somewhat edible; in France post people do NOT like very spicy food. (in Indian restaurants its as tame as can be).
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    20 min at upper HR on recumbent+ 20 min slow recumbent with tiny dumbbells twists and upper body. Watching a ted talk. this is not a habit for me yet.
    also wrote to M.
    wrote to school 1.
    called school 1.
    made therapy appointment.

This one has message nice about forming good habits. (basically just do 1 minute of exercise or just eat 1 leaf of lettuce to not keep the bar too high.) A bit canned in that ted talk way but still I like the message and its not too long. You kind of can get the message in 1 minute and the talk is 10 minutes, but ok for the recumbent.

https://www.ted.com/talks/christine_carter_the_1_minute_secret_to_forming_a_new_habit

And also I looked at this one again. I'm sure I'd seen it before but it was trending and was proposed. Also 10 minutes. I like it. many are givers, matchers. my evil director is a taker. he says some givers are the most productive and some are the least...

https://www.ted.com/talks/adam_grant_are_you_a_giver_or_a_taker
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    have tracked food today.
    also went for 30 slowish walk
    got groceries (shops closed at 6pm now)
    for lunch steamed/boiled (steam in pot w about 1/2 inch- 1 inch of water) cauliflower, cauliflower leaves, 2 eggs, tiki masala sauce. easy and yum.
    TO DO:
    1) meditate 15 min
    2) declutter 15 min done by 3:30/4pm
    3) still to do: uploading online test. a must for today; deadline (1-2h max)
    4) 4h on thesis (or at least 1 minute as noted above) evening.(not ideal to start so late, I know but we're developing new habits, and we're on day 1 and my time off with project to finish thesis begins next week cause I knew I'd have tons to wind up this week.
    5) send doc to insurance

AH also saw ted talk about performance time and learning time. how we tend to spend much work time on performance (things we already do well) and less on learning. (things we do less well and have less good performance on, but which will hopefully improve our performance long term). about how it's good to have balance. easier said than done. but that validates choice to work on thesis, regardless of results. I will hopefully be learning some.

thanks for listening. <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    oh, I forgot I did some meditation, very probably 15 min at least, at some point between 2:30 and 3:45 am. time save! :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,218 Member
    Options
    Bananas and Lisa - I buy my cheap reading glasses in bulk sets from Amazon. ×2. They are fine for me and I have a pair in every room. Nice bright colours. For my handbag I have a thin pair in a purple metal case, just for reading menus etc. It's only tiny print that I can't read, everything else is fine. My long distance is much better than DH'S, even with his very expensive progressives. I never get headaches or eye strain, even though I'm on my tablet a lot. You can test what you need at a shop that sells them by reading a label. I used to have excellent eyesight until I was 45.

Just cut DH'S hair. He has a no 3 shave, so it's easy. Eyebrows are trickier, but I use a comb and hairdressing scissors. Then the ears! :o I need a good light and my glasses on! I hate, hate, hate hairy ears! Only once have I caught the skin. No blood! :D

Waiting to hear back from my son about Netflix. It looks as if he already has log ons. :(

Must go and do some bonus rowing. Dragging today.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :) I finished January averaging over 15,000 steps a day thanks to my 5 PM walks. The podcasts I've listened to most recently are about using time better and doing nothing. I have an abundance of time so it's not too hard for me to use it well, but the idea of "doing nothing" doesn't sit well with me.

:)Thank you for all your kind words. I am the person at the gathering who sits quietly and listens but there would be no gathering without all of you who have all the interesting things to say.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for the new thread.

Machka thanks for your thoughtful response. Unfortunately I have little influence on my mother, so I can't lead her to do anything. I am forever the child, while she used to be a registered nurse. She is especially stubborn about healthcare.

We only have a few inches of snow, but it has a firm crust on top. We have delayed shoveling, hoping it will rain enough to wash away the snow and ice. We aren't going anywhere!

Annie in Delaware
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🙂🌞💛
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Stayed up until 2 am finishing a book. It is going to be a long day!

🤪
    Kylia in Ohio

I am always excited to hear about a good book. What were you reading that you stayed up till 2 to finish? I keep a running list of books I want to read on my bookbub wish list.

On the glasses conversation, I hate!!!!! my progressive lenses. This is the third pair I have had and I continue to return to my last pair of glasses that were not progressive. I tried last time to convince optometrist to just let me get a pair of glasses for distance and then I would supplement with readers for computer (until about a month ago I didn't need them for reading, but unless on kindle where i can adjust font size, I need help there now). Anyway the dr convinced me that the improvements in progressives would work for me....they don't. They make me dizzy and I feel like none of my vision is sharp at any distance and I still take them off to read most things. For example, as I am typing my glasses are sitting on top of my head. I find my glasses to be pretty stressful.

I am going to go do my A challenge. Kind of excited about it.
    dee

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri & Penny: Your posts are the first that came in on February 1! Happy February 2021!

Carol in Georgia: I like your comment on smiling eyes. They communicate so much without words. :star:

Machka: “Still” can be quiet, stationary, or continuing. Nevertheless didn’t occur to me. Thanks! :smiley:

Bananas: I have progressive lenses in my glasses. I look out the top for distant things, and the bottom for reading smaller print. I’ve been happy with them, especially because I don’t need more than one pair. They also automatically darken in bright light. Everyone has different preferences. One advantage for me is that I don’t set my glasses down and forget where I put them. :noway:

Allie: I am glad when I see you post. I hope for the very best for you. :heart:

Yesterday was a treat. We got a zoom call from our daughter in the evening & got to talk with her and also to listen to our granddaughter play her saxophone. The instrument is huge compared to our granddaughter, but she obviously loves it. :heart:

My goals are always the same. They work for me. Happy February to all!!!

Katla in the dark in NW Oregon

• Katla49
    Options
    Allie: Keeping my fingers crossed that you get to go home as soon as possible. :flowerforyou:

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s

Debbie in Napa Valley would you share a pic of your airfryer? Can you use it for everything for which you used the toaster oven?
    [

This is one that looks like ours but ours is a Farberware(I could not find a good link to it and this one is a lot more expensive than ours was. I think he paid $50-60 for it. It does every thing a toaster would and more-even comes with the rotisserie basket.

https://www.amazon.com/GoWISE-USA-12-7-Quarts-Rotisserie-Dehydrator/dp/B07LBZGD97/ref=asc_df_B07LBZGD97/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309764250650&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3721286359702282708&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032049&hvtargid=pla-623997834924&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60204159245&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309764250650&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3721286359702282708&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032049&hvtargid=pla-623997834924

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Machka: Thank you much for posing the abc challenge for this month. I was actually excited to exercise today as it is just something fun and different.

Our weather here is wet snow right now so not great weather for outdoor exercise, sadly. So I had to really challenge myself to come up with my idea for my A exercise challenge. My first thought was to go to the airport and walk in the terminal. I like to watch planes take off and think it is fun to imagine all the places people are going, but given COVID and the fact I am not near to getting vaccinated, I decided that was probably not a great plan. I live in a rural location so not to many places to pic from. So, here is what I came up with. I found a virtual hike for the Angels Landing Hike in Zion NP. I have never been there, but this hike is famous and the video was pretty great for scenery. However, there was not music or sound of any kind and I knew I would keep pace with the walker in the video which would not be a fat burning pace. So, I set up the video to cast to the TV to enhance the beauty of the scenery and I pulled up Pandora on my cell phone and I listened to the first act of Hamilton while I was walking. To challenge myself I just threw in a bunch of the moves Leslie Salone uses in her walking videos. All in all it was fun and I worked up a sweat. Pacer app gave me credit for 68 minutes of exercise, said I walked 3.1 miles, and gave me credit for 277 burned calories. Here is a link to the hike if anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jn0p9YpMCI I would love to hear if anyone has done this hike for real. I am sure you would have burned WAY more calories than I did with this video, lol. But I thought it was a fun and different way to meet the challenge. I am looking forward to seeing how others have fulfilled the A challenge.

Happy February! from snowy Ohio
    dee
  • Katla49
    Options
    I have been missing Lanette. Has anyone heard from her?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Heather like you I have a number of reading glasses spread throughout our home and a pair at Son's. They are so reasonable that I find it easier to do that then wear them around my neck. I was nearsighted when younger and now it is flipped. I see better far away then I did 15 years ago. Because they are so cheap they do break eaisly so I do have to replace them.

We dodged the bad snow storm that hit out east. Icy sidewalks are better. I still wear tracks because still unpredictable when you come across ice. Next storm and then cold Thursday. I did order some more harness coats for Drew so I can get the ones she has in the wash more reugularly. They are getting heavy use as of late. Still good to get outside daily.

Best friend of niece published great picture of my niece on Facebook today. It was good to see her looking so happy. I picture her riding horses with my sister and surrounded by her dogs. She had a number of dogs throughout her life.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    I hiked the Narrows in Zion a few times. It's gorgeous but treacherous. The hike runs through a stream bed, very rocky. Your ankles get a real workout!