WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    hi all, I read all but I'm low in comment department today.

@Snowflake1968 I love the article.

CORSETS WEARING TROUSERS AND OTHER WOMEN'S CLOTHING LIMITATIONS
    When I was in lower elementary school I remember we pretty much wore skirts and I wasn't sure if trousers were allowed or not, at about age 7 in 1970. I think things were just changing then. I think it was daring to test wearing trousers at school. I think jeans were not officially allowed but little by little people were daring to wear jeans too. and I wasn't sure if they were allowed (I think it changed too, just after the no trousers). I remember running down the hall probably late for class, probably gleefully with 2 or 3 other tiny friends at age 7 and the principal called us and maybe had us go into his office. I was afraid (though I think he was very gentle with the 3 or 4 tiny running girls) and I had not only jeans on but jeans with big white bleach spots. But I didn't get scolded for the trousers, nor for the ostentatious jeans, so then I knew trousers and jeans were ok.

Then later, little heels seemed necessary, and occasionally panty hose (I was never a good pantyhose wearer...) I used t wear talk spike clogs sometimes when in high school and then went pretty much to flats if not hiking boots and sneakers before regular nice leather women's shoes became pretty and comfortable, without scrunching your toes or something ridiculous like that.

I was ill looked upon for many years (or decades) for wearing sneakers or tennis shoes in Paris )(even coloured reeboks) really frowned upon and disdained, mocked at times, until nike, and big sneakers, finally, very late in the game, became all the rage... a few years ago. :D
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Julie
    I was in college from 1966 until 1970 and girls were not allowed to wear pants at all except after morning classes on Saturday. My roommate and I wore cut off jeans covered by a rain coat many time after classes were over.

Carol in GA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,798 Member
    Options
    I don’t remember not being allowed to wear pants, but I did wear dresses a lot more than I do now.

I like hearing the stories of how it was though.

Tracey
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    We had school uniform in the old tradititional style until I was in the Upper Sixth and then we could wear normal clothes, but not trousers. It was very, very unusual in those days. 1966/7 .

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    I was sent home in Kindergarten 1961 for coming to school in pants!
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I was in grade school in the 60s, and we had to wear dresses/skirts to school each day. We wore shorts under our dresses so we could play rough on the playground. Then in 5th or 6th grade, they decided girls could wear pants on Fridays. By time I got to junior high, in the 7th grade, we could even wear jeans, five days a week. Once it started changing, it changed quickly.

I also wore slips under my skirts/dresses, until that picture of Lady Di with the sun filtering through her dress. She was obviously not wearing a slip. The picture caused quite a stir, but I still remember the day I saw it, and said out loud, "If she doesn't have to wear a slip, I'm not wearing one," and I threw all but one away. I still wore that one with wool skirts to keep the wool off my skin, but I was done with slips. Today, I don't even own one because I don't buy wool skirts anymore unless they are already lined.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Take whatever time you need, Allie!
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Allie - <3<3<3 Sending so much love. XOXO

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Just watched the last ever Spiral (Engrenages). Ten years of watching. :'(
    I must admit we put off watching the last recorded episode until tonight, I had done my research and knew it all ended OK, but I hadn't told DH and it was still nail-biting tense. I would not have been able to watch it if I didn't know the ending. I am feeling a bit bereft and might seek out the first series, which I think we missed.
    These characters enter your consciousness and become part of you.

Ooouuufff, as the French say.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hoping to Zoom the grandchildren tomorrow afternoon. DDIL has just sent these pics of their outing today to a local stately home. First one of Nelly :D
    97pvuemrofnx.jpg

vw2gue8a3l4b.jpg

Then I got a WhatsApp message from one of the old friends of Ros, my dear, deceased best friend. Right out of the blue. She said she had been thinking of me. A short text conversation ensued. I remember meeting her son for coffee with Ros when he was about 13. Now he is 18! She is finding it hard keeping him motivated.
    Blast from the past.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,798 Member
    Options
    Allie - I don’t think we expect you to keep up, just to get better and take the time you need to heal.

Flea - I remember that picture. It must be around the same time I learned slips weren’t necessary.

I am home from physio and sitting on the heating pad again.
    She only worked on my back today. I thought she was going to break me in half trying to get it loosened up. She said it was just tight from standing so long and in the cold last night.

Tracey
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Allie: You need to rest enough so that your body can recover. That is the number one priority. Stop in whenever you want, but don’t feel like you must. Sending good thoughts your way. :heart: :flowerforyou:

RE: School Dress codes: From grade 1 through 12, girls had to wear dresses or skirts to school except in PE, aka physical education. In Jr High & High school we had gym uniforms that were white tops and white shorts that were just above knee length. We were expected to take them home to wash weekly. Outside of PE, girls wore dresses or skirts and tops. By the time my daughter was in school, choices for girls were more flexible.

Katla in misty NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤎💚🧡💜❤️💛🤍