WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Pip- Ugh! Beautiful black and white; but the lack of color in the pic makes it hard for me to tell which of your kids this is. I think it's Rocky.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    B)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,354 Member
    Baking experiments:
    • 1 - Yogurt cheese does not substitute for cream cheese in cream cheese cupcakes. They dip in the middle. That said, they actually taste really good.
    • 2 - That dip in the middle makes a ready-made receptacle for strawberry compote because...
    • 3 - Yogurt cheese also does not substitute for cream cheese in cream cheese icing. You get a lovely thick glaze, instead, that stays too liquid to disguise the dipsy-do in the middle of all the cupcakes. Thus the adventures of making a strawberry compote... :)

Playing baking games in the kitchen on an otherwise lazy Sunday. Looks like a battlefield, time to load the dishwasher...

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Rori: I was the caregiver for both my mother and grandmother who both stayed at home through their battles with dementia. My grandmother was incredibly sweet throughout. My mother on the other hand was quite a handfull. I did not take care of myself through her illness and am still regretting the changes being a caregiver created in both my physical and mental health. It is good to hear you are taking care of yourself by riding your bike and using technology to help monitor your husband's movement throughout the house. I will be thinking of you as you continue this journey.

Allie: hopes for healing take your time

Pip: Loved the photo. What a handsome face!

School Clothes: I was in Kindergarten 68/69. Although I know I wore dresses frequently, I don't remember not being allowed to wear pants. The only real rule for clothes I can recall was that if we wore skirts or dresses or shorts, they had to be beneath our fingertips when our arms were hanging at our sides. But that was more in high school. In the late 70s and early 80s we were all wearing izod sweaters and long wool skirts anyway, so really only applied to the shorts.

Thank you all for the kind Bumble comments. I love his bright blue coat. He had a red/black buffalo check one before Christmas that he outgrew and I thought the blue was very winter appropriate. He is very willing to wear his coat thank goodness as it is quite cold these days.

Today was averaging day for me. Feeling frustrated about that. I have regained 1.5 lbs over the past two weeks and my sugar level has gone up 7 points since last week. Not sure I understand why. I am logging, exercising, and being very careful with carbs and overall calories. Kinda sad to be trying hard and not finding the results I had hoped for. I thought with the progress I was making at the beginning, I might be getting my reward for the first 10 lbs gone in March. My daughter is going to take me to a state park in Ky for the weekend once I get there, so I am very motivated. But, now I am down to having lost only 3 of those pounds and seem to be moving in the absolute wrong direction. Blargh..

Feeling those winter blues!
    dee
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Allie... Rest and more rest. Hugs to you

Rori... great to hear from you.

M from Oz this challenge is hard. You can see I have to use some of my gray matter to come up with the activity of the day.
    1. Aerobic zoom class
    2. Bird Watching along the Bike Trail
    3. Calisthenics workout
    4. Dog walking with neighbor
    5. Ebike trial.... nope going to keep my old bike..
    6. Fast walk for 30 minutes
    7. Garbage pickup on the old highway
    I'm having fun and doing some different things because of this challenge. How is everyone else doing with it?

Betsy in NW WA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Tracey: The framed photos of Christmases past are wonderful. I have no doubt that you cherish them every time you see them. :star:

Michele: We have an appointment for our first covid shots at the end of the month. We are likely to continue wearing our masks in public until after our second vaccination, whenever that may be. In our area, it is considered polite to protect others even when we are personally vaccinated & safe. :flowerforyou:

Bananas: I wore panty girdles in junior high and high school. I haven’t had one on my body in many years. Freedom! YAY! In Junior High & High School we had to wear gym shorts for PE. They were Bermuda length—no short shorts. We wore our school colors on game days. No jeans or slacks allowed until college. :wink:

Kelly: I love your advice to Allie. Being patient with yourself is a tough challenge at times, but it works best in the long run. :flowerforyou:

Heather: My heart aches for your childhood self and cheers for the wonderful & strong woman you have become. :flowerforyou:

(((Allie))): Rest is best. :heart:

We had a message from our son about the Super Bowl. We’re planning to watch “together” on opposite sides of the country. :bigsmile:

Katla in overcast NW Oregon

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    exermom wrote: »

You know, part of me wonders if more and more people won’t wear a mask in the store once they are vaccinated. I don’t think there’s a way to find this out, tho
    Michele NC

It's like the flu vaccine, from my understanding. The vaccine doesn't keep you from getting it but it makes you less miserable if you do get it.

Others who have more direct medical experience could say for sure.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

You and I know this, but perception is everything. People get the polio vaccine and don't get polio. This is a flu VACCINE. Yes, the flu can mutate -- polio can't. Will people feel that now they are immune since they had the vaccine? Who knows?

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0boJdaC2uQi9OqOYnZ0HLR38g

I just saw my sisters tv commercial on TV (her business with her husband), how exciting!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Pip- Ugh! Beautiful black and white; but the lack of color in the pic makes it hard for me to tell which of your kids this is. I think it's Rocky.

That was Floyd

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    NSV - I can wear my size 14 pants over my fuzzy leggings! Perfect for shoveling!

Annie in Delaware
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    lfh975k6fvh6.jpg

I LOVE this quote! Thank you for sharing!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals,

So I remembered a bit more to comment on, still working on a borrowed computer so things are a bit limited. My new computer came and is set up but I am trying to restore from Carbonite - which as been clear sailing in the past, and is giving me grief this time.

The question about 1 hour and $10,000 is one that I have had a hard time answering but have had many a discussion with friends about. I finally came to the conclusion that I would spend it at a roofing place, the roof on my house is getting close to needing to be replaced, and I think it will be in that price range.

Wearing of pants, what the school allowed was never as much of an issue as what my mother would allow. My mom made all of my clothes including underwear, even knitted my socks and sweaters... skirts and dresses kindergarten- 6th grade, in 7th through the end of high school I got to wear pant suits one day a week, my mom made pants, a vest and a jacket in some color of double knit polyester. For gym I did have a blouse and shorts and the school required that they be bought from the uniform shop, I was not allowed to wear the home made ones... That was a scandal as far as my mom was concerned, I was so delighted to wear what everyone else was. I hated the shower and communal dressing ! Off to college (1976) and with my hard earned money I bought jeans a peasant top and birkenstocks... on my second day!

Allie - ((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Annie in Delaware - congrats!

Pip - congrats on the condo! and is that your sister talking in the ad?

Love Kim in N. California
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Aged 11 I went to grammar school, my parents were so proud. Thank goodness for my Grandad, who we lived with, as he paid for my uniform. We were measured up by a tailors from Manchester (not sure now why it wasn’t a company from Liverpool??)
    It was made to measure a navy Macintosh navy gym slip, yellow aertex blouse divided shirts for gym. Plain blue cotton dresses with white Peter Pan collar navy blazer with woven badge. It’s all coming back to me now, navy beret with metal badge which pinned on. We had to wear gloves white in Summer and if a teacher saw you out in the street without gloves you were reported. This was a convent school and some of the nuns were horrendous. This would be 1956 to 1961 I positively refused to stay on in 6th form Not so happy days for me I’m afraid🤣

Kate UK ❤️
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Good Sunday,
    I have been lazy....I finished the DiVince Code at around midnight. Slept until 7, got coffee, curled up in bed and got lost down the FB rabbit hole. Fell back asleep around 9:30 and slept until 11:30. Trying hard to get motivated now. I have changed the sheets, started laundry, ate a sandwich, caught up with you ladies. Need to start on tax paperwork.....ugh....just do it! and pay bills! Husband is out clearing the ice from the driveway in the sunshine. He is burning up those calories! I am thankful!
    Dee- My Sara was Pyrenees/golden retriever mix. She was the sweetest girl we have ever had. Calm and easy. I guess the Pyrenees is what kept her warm. She loved being outside in the winter (until this past year). Our last "small" dog was a rescued chow. She had a good life, but was never a people dog. Since her and during her actually we have had German Shephards. Lovely dogs, smart, and caring, but not calm like Sara. They have all been rescues. Sara stole my heart from the day I saw her on Pet Finder. It will be a while before I am ready for another. Bumble is Beautiful!

Clothes- I really don't remember if we were allowed to wear pants in elementary school or not. Like a lot of you my mom made all of our clothes. I wore dresses. Middle school- minis were still in style, maxi was just coming out. I wasn't allowed by my parents to wear heels so refused to wear maxi dresses as I looked so short in flats. Our gym uniforms were zip up polyester with short shorts and a blousy top. I HATED GYM! I was afraid of tumbling. I can't hit a ball to save my life. I had no upper body strength. I had no self esteem. The showers were awful! The gym teacher would check our arms to see if we had showered. I wore a towel, got my feet and arms wet, and got out. I have pictures of me wearing jeans in HS, but very few. My father always said school was my job, so I dressed like it. My senior year I switched schools and wore jeans and sweatshirts for my safety. I don't mind panty hose. I like the silky feeling and the control top. In the Philippines, I wore garter belts and stockings when I was dressed up. Otherwise I was commando with dresses! At this stage in my life I am in jeans every day for work. In the summer, you are most likely to find me in dresses or occasionally leggings.

Pip- Your sister does what I do with different brands! So Cool!
    Allie- We are just thankful to hear from you. Like the others have said, slow and steady! You need to take care of you first. We are all here for you.

Ladies- I must get something done today. I know there was more to say, but can't think right now. This stack of papers is staring at me.

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where the sunshine is beautiful!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited February 2021
    Kate UK - One of my best friends was accosted by a teacher , who ran across two lines of traffic, to tell her she had the wrong colour toggles (natural wood) on her navy duffel coat. I have been vigorously against uniform since my school days. I managed to find a school without uniform for my two sons. :D
    I went to a relatively enlightened Grammar School. 1960 - 67. Looking back I can see how lucky I was. But it was still an awful way to get an education.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Katla - I just love the Christmas gifts, I’m just a little sad I have to wait so long to use them. It’s funny last year I actually put some Christmas pictures in frames when I decorated so they weren’t hidden in boxes and never seen.

Debbie - if a package gives me the calories that’s what I use. I don’t trust a lot of the MFP counts.

Barbara - my paternal grandmother never owned a pair of pants of any kind. She was born in 1907. My maternal grandmother wore dress pants most every day, but wore dresses on Sunday. She owned one pair of jeans that must have been from the 60’s based on the style, these were her work pants that she wore for painting and wallpapering. She was born in 1913.

Machka - those are the style of pants I wore too, also from Sears. My Mom and Grandmother wore those too. I remember wearing jeans mostly starting around grade 5-6 I think. I hated school, every bit of it all the way through most of it was because we were poor and going to school with the town kids that had money was always a source of shame.

Heather - bringing back memories of school reminds me of unhappy times too. There has to be a better way. I don’t think time has improved it any either.

Teresa - fashion is a funny thing. There were a lot of ornaments for sale with masks and/or toilet paper around here. I don’t buy ornaments for myself, they are all gifts on my tree. I don’t even have just balls anymore.
    I think you made a wise decision on the granddaughter’s picture.
    Lol I laughed at the hot flash story. I have been very fortunate so far and am not suffering from them yet.

Kelly - I had to laugh at your men’s troubles this weekend. They probably would have been fed a good meal today if they had just got at it yesterday. They never learn.

Pip - that is nice to see your sister.

Kylia - I hated gym class too and managed to find ways to be excused as often as possible.

Dillon is still hanging on and fighting to stay alive. He’s still on 100% vent but the pneumothorax is showing improvement.

My cousin is doing better, I don’t remember if I shared or not that this was a legally prescribed drug that caused the attempted suicide. She wrote a long heartfelt post that breaks your heart to read. The signs were all there and wasn’t recognized by any of her family and friends.

Reach out to your friends, pick up the phone and call, it makes a difference I swear.

I am not doing anything today except my diamond dots. I don’t have the courage to try to clean too much yet as I’m not healed and it’s too cold to go outside.

lm2vppcdgfe9.png

Tracey in Edmonton
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,747 Member
    Hi ladies! I've been reading, but not keeping up with commenting.

Allie ... so glad to hear you are home from the hospital! Please do not be so hard on yourself. Your body had not yet healed from the first surgery when you went into this second one. It is going to take time and I'm imagining your progress will be measured in very small increments...but you will progress. You're still in my prayers.

Kelly ... I LOVE your attitude! Let us know when the cabinet gets installed. :D

Debbie ... MFPs calorie counts are often inaccurate ... go with the package, make certain you're reading serving size correctly ... that's the best you can do. I used to do corrections on entries ... I don't know if they still allow that ... amazing discrepancies.

Karen in VA ... I'm with Kelly ... miss your input! Miss hearing from SuzyQ too.

This week has been a snowy one and it is coming down fast right now as I post. It's winter. The new puppy loves the snow thank goodness! He's been keeping us busy. Lots of energy ...

First week of my husband's retirement and he has been trying to be "helpful" ... we'll see how long that lasts. Paid off our mortgage and home equity loan this week, along with all unsecured debt. Truly a freeing experience. We have never been debt free before. I've decided to continue with my part-time job for a while longer yet ... couple projects I would like to fund without going into retirement savings.

Discovered I have significant osteoarthritis in my knees, the right one giving me great grief. Knee replacement is the definitive answer, but my orthopedist is recommending PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injections. I'm doing my research on it and other alternatives with the idea of prolonging the need for replacement (I'm 58). Insurance, not mine nor anyone else it seems, covers the PRP procedure ... figures.

We'll watch the Super Bowl tonight .. tough one for Buffalo to watch ... but I'm really only watching for the commercials.

Beth near Buffalo
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    I’m not sure how I feel about uniform as it does help avoid poorer kids not being able to compete in dress stakes and does instil bit of self discipline which seems to be lacking today. Sorry for bit of a rent

Kate