Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Ok, Gale. When I googled your article title to read it (which I did), I found THIS: https://www.psypost.org/2020/12/dark-personality-traits-predict-womens-propensity-to-go-on-deceptive-foodie-calls-for-a-free-meal-58741

Who knew?

(Apologizes for tangent)

As "Foodie Calls" has the potential for an interesting debate topic, I have started a thread for it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10824464/foodie-calls/
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    They now believe they know why there's mental confusion after Covid-19. Residual/elevated cytokines in the spinal fluid. In other words, inflammation markers in areas where they aren't normally found, in the Central nervous system.

https://www.cell.com/cancer-cell/fulltext/S1535-6108(21)00051-9

I'm not a scientist, but what they are saying, to me, is that it is concerning because it can cause damage to the nerves, potentially breach the blood/brain barrier and also be what is causing mental issues in those that have had Covid-19. They are also hopeful, at the same time, that understanding it better can help them quell the inflammation in the CNS and improve the outcome for long haulers.

I wonder if this is specific to Covid or if it might apply to other viruses that trigger post viral inflammation?

I don't pretend to understand a lot of what was said in the article, but my headaches and brain fog didn't resolve until I had a round of steroids. Which I guess would be in line with the anti-inflammatory treatment they recommend here.

Again, I'm not a scientist, but I do know MS has been theorized, though no direct proof has been found, to be triggered by a virus. With MS, there is are also elevated cytokines in the CNS. Am I saying that Covid-19 could cause MS down the road? Certainly not, but there's cause for concerns. But understanding it better is where it all starts.

I believe I read somewhere that chemo can cause brain fog for some of the same reasons.

The holistic supplement guy in me also thinks taking a full spectrum Methyl-B (or at least B-12) might not be a bad idea for anyone. Vitamin B12 is what helps keep the myelin sheath around the nerves strong.

MS is also theorized to be linked to lower vitamin D isn't it? I think rates increase the farther away you get from the equator, and Canada has one of the highest rates in the world. I already take Methylcobalamin B12 as well as Vit D right now anyway.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I think that because smoking damages the lungs and Covid attacks the lungs and heart, smokers are at higher risk of serious illness and fatality. It's frustrating that my 81 year old diabetic husband has to wait in line with the 25 year old smoker, but it is easier for us to hole up than it might be for someone younger who needs to work. We can wait.

That’s terrible. Where are you that 81 year olds aren’t already vaccinated? In TN we are down to 70+ now.

I was looking at the latest info and at present diabetes is 1c in TN, along with 55+. I’m 52. So if I were just three years older, I would be eligible from my age at the same time as my diabetes, which seems nuts to me.

Also, what stops people from claiming to smoke? Or even starting to smoke, just to get the vaccine?

Here in Massachusetts our vax rollout has been horrendous. Wednesday, Gov. Charlie Baker announced that people accompanying those over 75 to mass vaccination sites could also sign up for a shot, which prompted posts on Craigslist soliciting seniors, outrage by teachers (who are not in a priority group) and others waiting patiently for shots, and this bit on The Daily Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-xnNdB68w&t=122s

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/02/11/massachusetts-vaccine-eligibility-companions-craigslist
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I think that because smoking damages the lungs and Covid attacks the lungs and heart, smokers are at higher risk of serious illness and fatality. It's frustrating that my 81 year old diabetic husband has to wait in line with the 25 year old smoker, but it is easier for us to hole up than it might be for someone younger who needs to work. We can wait.

That’s terrible. Where are you that 81 year olds aren’t already vaccinated? In TN we are down to 70+ now.

I was looking at the latest info and at present diabetes is 1c in TN, along with 55+. I’m 52. So if I were just three years older, I would be eligible from my age at the same time as my diabetes, which seems nuts to me.

Also, what stops people from claiming to smoke? Or even starting to smoke, just to get the vaccine?

Here in Massachusetts our vax rollout has been horrendous. Wednesday, Gov. Charlie Baker announced that people accompanying those over 75 to mass vaccination sites could also sign up for a shot, which prompted posts on Craigslist soliciting seniors, outrage by teachers (who are not in a priority group) and others waiting patiently for shots, and this bit on The Daily Show:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/02/11/massachusetts-vaccine-eligibility-companions-craigslist

I guess if the alternative is that an elderly person can't get there on their own so doesn't get a shot - it makes sense? At this point in our supposed "rollout" I really don't care who they give the odd extra shot to as long as someone is getting it.

I feel the same way.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Options

I guess if the alternative is that an elderly person can't get there on their own so doesn't get a shot - it makes sense? At this point in our supposed "rollout" I really don't care who they give the odd extra shot to as long as someone is getting it.

Yes, that was the reasoning. However, MA made it really hard for the elderly to schedule a shot regardless of their transportation needs. My sister and I both tried for about a week to schedule Mom without being able to find any appointments in 4 different locations, including the mass vax site at Gillette Stadium. Fortunately, she'd had a mammogram at Beth Israel recently, and THEY called HER to offer her a shot.

Now the Mass hospitals have removed themselves from offering vaccinations.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

My over-70 parents with pre-existing conditions have not been able to get the vaccine yet...they are in Illinois. My Dad JUST was able to schedule an appointment for February 25th. My Mom still doesn't have one.

The state just announced that they are expanding the eligible pool to people of any age with certain conditions, like diabetes and obesity.

There are no appointments to be had in the most populous areas of the state, and they want to throw millions more people into that pool of people fighting for slots.

In Chicago and Cook County (high-density populations), they told the state that they are NOT dong that expansion right now. They haven't even finished vaccinating healthcare workers, much less making a dent in the elderly population.

Your mom should go with him, they might jab her too. My dad got an appt because he's 76, my mom didn't because she's 74. When they showed up, they weren't asked who had an appt they just did them both. Obviously that's going to be different in different places, but it can't hurt to try if they can.

For sure, I’m going to tell them to do this. Especially since the appointment is at the hospital where my mom worked for 20 years before she retired. Hopefully they’ll just take care of her too.

Good piece on IL's terrible response (after starting out well): https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-vaccine-illinois-pace-20210206-3znkufv7pzbz3lyw3srnkudmlu-htmlstory.html
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Still no Covid here. Hope that doesn't upset the couple of people rude to me last time.

Where is this?