Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I think that because smoking damages the lungs and Covid attacks the lungs and heart, smokers are at higher risk of serious illness and fatality. It's frustrating that my 81 year old diabetic husband has to wait in line with the 25 year old smoker, but it is easier for us to hole up than it might be for someone younger who needs to work. We can wait.

That was initially a thought of why the impact of the virus skewed males over 50 in Wuhan. Damage from being a long-term smoker. The studies I saw cited smoking being more prevalent in men than women in that region.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think that because smoking damages the lungs and Covid attacks the lungs and heart, smokers are at higher risk of serious illness and fatality. It's frustrating that my 81 year old diabetic husband has to wait in line with the 25 year old smoker, but it is easier for us to hole up than it might be for someone younger who needs to work. We can wait.

That’s terrible. Where are you that 81 year olds aren’t already vaccinated? In TN we are down to 70+ now.

I was looking at the latest info and at present diabetes is 1c in TN, along with 55+. I’m 52. So if I were just three years older, I would be eligible from my age at the same time as my diabetes, which seems nuts to me.

Also, what stops people from claiming to smoke? Or even starting to smoke, just to get the vaccine?

My over-70 parents with pre-existing conditions have not been able to get the vaccine yet...they are in Illinois. My Dad JUST was able to schedule an appointment for February 25th. My Mom still doesn't have one.

The state just announced that they are expanding the eligible pool to people of any age with certain conditions, like diabetes and obesity.

There are no appointments to be had in the most populous areas of the state, and they want to throw millions more people into that pool of people fighting for slots.

In Chicago and Cook County (high-density populations), they told the state that they are NOT dong that expansion right now. They haven't even finished vaccinating healthcare workers, much less making a dent in the elderly population.

Your mom should go with him, they might jab her too. My dad got an appt because he's 76, my mom didn't because she's 74. When they showed up, they weren't asked who had an appt they just did them both. Obviously that's going to be different in different places, but it can't hurt to try if they can.

She definitely should go with him. I volunteer at the campus vaccination site (campus is confusing, and while the site runs well, getting to it is not intuitive as we’re not using the main entrance) and we are (granted, won’t be the same everywhere) vaccinating both people of an older couple comes in together. Appointments have been an issue and we don’t want people out and about more than is minimally necessary.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That’s terrible. Where are you that 81 year olds aren’t already vaccinated? In TN we are down to 70+ now.

I was looking at the latest info and at present diabetes is 1c in TN, along with 55+. I’m 52. So if I were just three years older, I would be eligible from my age at the same time as my diabetes, which seems nuts to me.

Also, what stops people from claiming to smoke? Or even starting to smoke, just to get the vaccine?

Here in Massachusetts our vax rollout has been horrendous. Wednesday, Gov. Charlie Baker announced that people accompanying those over 75 to mass vaccination sites could also sign up for a shot, which prompted posts on Craigslist soliciting seniors, outrage by teachers (who are not in a priority group) and others waiting patiently for shots, and this bit on The Daily Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-xnNdB68w&t=122s

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/02/11/massachusetts-vaccine-eligibility-companions-craigslist

I guess if the alternative is that an elderly person can't get there on their own so doesn't get a shot - it makes sense? At this point in our supposed "rollout" I really don't care who they give the odd extra shot to as long as someone is getting it.

I agree. I feel like there's not enough public recognition of the fact that each person vaccinated is one less (or 0.7 less or whatever the effective rate of that dose) potential transmission vector and one less (0.7 less) opportunity for a mutation to create a virus variant that could be more lethal, more transmissible, or more resistant to the vaccines.

Anybody getting vaccinated helps me, even though I haven't gotten vaccinated yet. Especially if I haven't gotten vaccinated yet.

I don’t have any evidence to substantiate this, but I feel like the vaccine probably is cutting transmission by a lot. Locally our rates have dropped sharply since January, starting at a time when they would have been expected to still be climbing from the holiday surge. I believe the change is because healthcare professionals were vaccinated. Since local tracing found that the largest single traceable source of infections was healthcare (with 65% being no known origin) it makes sense that stopping doctors, nurses, and healthcare workers from spreading it would show results quickly.
    Four people in Oregon who are at least two weeks past their second vaccination are positive for COVID.

COVID will be endemic. We’ll likely need annual/semi-annual boosters. It’ll be like the flu vaccine, I think. Fewer people will get sick, and those who do will be less likely to be hospitalized or die.

At our campus town hall last week, one of the doctors from the medical center said once you’re vaccinated you can only spread COVID if you’re infected yourself, but another doctor on the local news said fully vaccinated people could still spread it regardless. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Only time will tell.

Did they explain how it could be spread by someone who isn't infected?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Here in Massachusetts our vax rollout has been horrendous. Wednesday, Gov. Charlie Baker announced that people accompanying those over 75 to mass vaccination sites could also sign up for a shot, which prompted posts on Craigslist soliciting seniors, outrage by teachers (who are not in a priority group) and others waiting patiently for shots, and this bit on The Daily Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-xnNdB68w&t=122s

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/02/11/massachusetts-vaccine-eligibility-companions-craigslist

I guess if the alternative is that an elderly person can't get there on their own so doesn't get a shot - it makes sense? At this point in our supposed "rollout" I really don't care who they give the odd extra shot to as long as someone is getting it.

I agree. I feel like there's not enough public recognition of the fact that each person vaccinated is one less (or 0.7 less or whatever the effective rate of that dose) potential transmission vector and one less (0.7 less) opportunity for a mutation to create a virus variant that could be more lethal, more transmissible, or more resistant to the vaccines.

Anybody getting vaccinated helps me, even though I haven't gotten vaccinated yet. Especially if I haven't gotten vaccinated yet.

I don’t have any evidence to substantiate this, but I feel like the vaccine probably is cutting transmission by a lot. Locally our rates have dropped sharply since January, starting at a time when they would have been expected to still be climbing from the holiday surge. I believe the change is because healthcare professionals were vaccinated. Since local tracing found that the largest single traceable source of infections was healthcare (with 65% being no known origin) it makes sense that stopping doctors, nurses, and healthcare workers from spreading it would show results quickly.
    Four people in Oregon who are at least two weeks past their second vaccination are positive for COVID.

COVID will be endemic. We’ll likely need annual/semi-annual boosters. It’ll be like the flu vaccine, I think. Fewer people will get sick, and those who do will be less likely to be hospitalized or die.

At our campus town hall last week, one of the doctors from the medical center said once you’re vaccinated you can only spread COVID if you’re infected yourself, but another doctor on the local news said fully vaccinated people could still spread it regardless. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Only time will tell.

I remember when this all first started and there were several possible scenarios. The article I read said that what is transpiring was the "worst case scenario". Coming back every year, similar to the flu.

What I don't believe the article took into account was that our vaccines would be so effective against it. While it's extremely concerning that it likely won't be stamped out, I do think they might be able to stay ahead of it in terms of mutations.

Af anyone has the ability to improve their health and immunity, now might be a good time to do it.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    How sick were they? severe symptoms, mild, none?