What's a food you're currently obsessed with?

Replies

• BearCountryHermit
    BearCountryHermit Posts: 12 Member
    Smoked salmon! Delicious and simple! Also expensive...
    I had a co-worker say that she cooks hers, and I thought she was joking. Do people really cook smoked salmon?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited February 2021
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I’ve never heard of cream of rice. That looks like mashed potatoes at first glance.

What does cream of rice taste like?

Have you had cream of wheat?

Do they taste the same because I just finished off my cream of wheat and still need to eat a smoother cereal so was maybe going to check out cream of rice.

I’ve never had cream of wheat but it is very smooth, similar to mashed potatoes.

I can't find cheap cream of rice. How do we feel about grits?

(I actually like the cream of wheat. I just figure trying something different would be good too. And I like rice so.... )

I would love to find a certified gluten free grits. Polenta is very similar. I wonder how that tastes. another option is amaranth.

since grits is made from corn, I had to look that up. Bob’s appears to be the only certified gluten free.

Never had cream of wheat. Though from Atlanta, never been a grits fancier. I did like hominy has a kid though. Ought to find some and see if it’s still as good as I remember. Fried Spam and hominy were on the table a lot when the folks were in a financial pinch. I always like fried Spam, too. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Shrimp and grits are great. I have a friend who used to make cheesy grits to die for, but haven't had them since he moved to SF, as I never really wanted to start making them myself.

Like polenta.

Not into cream of wheat, as I've always preferred texture wise more substantial oats -- specifically, I like steel cut.
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    Oh my gosh everyone is talking about polenta, Cream of Wheat, fried Spam, arepas and smoked salmon! I love this entire conversation!

@pancakerunner have you made arepas before? My Godparents are from Venezuela and my Godmother showed me how to make them once a zillion years ago, but I’ve never attempted it. I’m so scared they’ll turn out not as good which is silly since they’re insanely simple
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    I’ve never heard of cream of rice. That looks like mashed potatoes at first glance.

It’s actually the texture of mashed potatoes, I buy pride foods flavored Cream of Rice, this is Coconut Cream pie and I add egg whites and 1/2 scoop of protein powder to make it more macro friendly and with the added protein it keeps me full for hours. It tastes like dessert 😍

Funny timing. I actually saw cream of rice at the grocery store yesterday. I've never seen or heard of it before this thread and now it's on the shelf. Maybe it was always there and I was just blind. That's a good possibility too, lol.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Kid meat. Less fat than most other red meats (probably with the exception of ostrich) and more sustainable. Farmers used to kill the billy's at birth because they were seen as a waste product of the goat cheese industry. We had kid chops tonight and they were lovely. Less gamey than lamb and a lot less fat.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

It’s actually the texture of mashed potatoes, I buy pride foods flavored Cream of Rice, this is Coconut Cream pie and I add egg whites and 1/2 scoop of protein powder to make it more macro friendly and with the added protein it keeps me full for hours. It tastes like dessert 😍

Funny timing. I actually saw cream of rice at the grocery store yesterday. I've never seen or heard of it before this thread and now it's on the shelf. Maybe it was always there and I was just blind. That's a good possibility too, lol.

I listened to a podcast about this once that just popped into my head. Our brains have to ignore some things to adequately process other things. So there will be some things you will just never notice exist until someone points it out to you and then you'll see it everywhere, where it's always been but your brain ignored.

To stay on topic, I am currently obsessed with chocolate kids cereals. Specifically Chocolate Lucky Charms and Chocolate Cinnamon Toast Crunch Churros. I am aware these are not gourmet treats, but for some reason right now I constantly crave them, so dessert has been "bowl of cereal" every night lol.

This must be true...when I was interested last year in a certain vehicle I wanted to buy, I started noticing them incessantly every time I went out.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Oh my gosh everyone is talking about polenta, Cream of Wheat, fried Spam, arepas and smoked salmon! I love this entire conversation!

@pancakerunner have you made arepas before? My Godparents are from Venezuela and my Godmother showed me how to make them once a zillion years ago, but I’ve never attempted it. I’m so scared they’ll turn out not as good which is silly since they’re insanely simple

@o0Firekeeper0o yes! They are so easy!
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    @chris89topher, @kimny72, and @PAPYRUS3
    Yes! It’s called Baader-Meinhof phenomenon and it’s super interesting (also called frequently illusion) 🙂 it’s a sign that your brain is functioning efficiently (at least in this area 😉) and is sort of the flip side of why folks with ‘perfect’ or ‘photographic’ memories often have trouble functioning in a ‘normal’ lifestyle
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    edited February 2021
    Currently on some chip- cracker kick. I just finished a bag of Crunchmaster Protein crackers I've been working on. We started carrying Weight Watchers at Vitamin Shoppe and have boxes of individual serving Hummus chips, 90 calories a bag. I had those and now working on Brads Veggie Chips Cheddar. I'm going to get my air popcorn popper out of storage too. 🙂
  • pancakerunner
    Currently on some chip- cracker kick. I just finished a bag of Crunchmaster Protein crackers I've been working on. We started carrying Weight Watchers at Vitamin Shoppe and have boxes of individual serving Hummus chips, 90 calories a bag. I had those and now working on Brads Veggie Chips Cheddar. I'm going to get my air popcorn popper out of storage too. 🙂

ooo you work at the vitamin shoppe @VegjoyP ??? dangerous!
  • VegjoyP
    edited February 2021

ooo you work at the vitamin shoppe @VegjoyP ??? dangerous!

Yes it is but in a good way! I have developed a very particular taste and preferences. I ( fortunately) had my fill of most bars, chips etc ...until the new ones that are plant based come in!! I mostly get herbals, protein; food grade vitamins( B 12 etc)
  • pancakerunner
    r9fcjkkq8p90.png

toasted... so good and smells amazing!
  • VegjoyP
    I want chocolate chip mint everything right now...!
  • pancakerunner
    I want chocolate chip mint everything right now...!

I'm on a chocolate/mint kick too :) thin mint season coming up!
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    I am craving all things meat/protein right now. It could be impending “girl stuff” causing it but if I don’t get a seven-pepper sirloin salad from Longhorn Steakhouse soon I might actually keel over!
  • pancakerunner
    I am craving all things meat/protein right now. It could be impending “girl stuff” causing it but if I don’t get a seven-pepper sirloin salad from Longhorn Steakhouse soon I might actually keel over!

I am with ya!!!
  • pancakerunner
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    kmerc87lbv2i.jpg

high protein french toast :-)

now I want cinnamon sugar bread :)