Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    But "breakfast" isn't used in that sense. Especially when you add lunch and dinner to the schedule. The whole motto was written by General Mills to sell more cereal. And many trainers and coaches INSIST that their participants should be eating a morning breakfast...................just because.

Maybe in your country and/or experience it means "whenever you first eat be it at 7am or 10pm at night" but here, breakfast is what you eat when you get up.

Lunch is still lunch and dinner is still dinner, even if it is the first food of the day to pass your lips.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    freda78 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    But "breakfast" isn't used in that sense. Especially when you add lunch and dinner to the schedule. The whole motto was written by General Mills to sell more cereal. And many trainers and coaches INSIST that their participants should be eating a morning breakfast...................just because.

Maybe in your country and/or experience it means "whenever you first eat be it at 7am or 10pm at night" but here, breakfast is what you eat when you get up.

Lunch is still lunch and dinner is still dinner, even if it is the first food of the day to pass your lips.
    Go to many restaurants here and "breakfast" isn't served past 10:30am. Since the majority of people work from morning to late afternoon, the time they get up is in the morning and why "breakfast" is seen as a morning meal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    My family is big so I’m always going to be big/fat.
    Yep they are big because they all habitually overeat. If they all ate in deficit, they would all be smaller.
    I’m big boned, so will always be overweight (when big boned isn’t an excuse for being over fat).
    On average, bones by the circumference, is in line with the frame of the person. Taller people will have bigger bones than shorter people due to having to handle more weight.
    I’m *insert age* so losing is nearly impossible.
    lol, and yet there are so many examples of people in their 60's and older who are fit and trim.
    I can’t afford healthy food (when calories matter, not organic food).
    But somehow can afford to buy that latte or other take out item.
    I’ll gain weight if I even look at carbs.
    Well there's always keto. :D
    - These are some myths I personally believed for awhile as well. They definitely sabotage efforts.
    thanks for sharing these.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png