Coronavirus prep

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Re vaccination anecdotes: my young and perfectly healthy DIL (27) developed shingles one week after her first dose. I (55) got my first shot yesterday - no issues as of yet.

I’m just wondering if your DIL had the chicken pox vaccine.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2021
    Re vaccination anecdotes: my young and perfectly healthy DIL (27) developed shingles one week after her first dose. I (55) got my first shot yesterday - no issues as of yet.

I'm not sure - I just assumed she had chicken pox. My son is her same age and he didn't have the vaccine I don't think it was around back then? Or maybe it came out after he already had chicken pox he was very young when he got it.

Edit: no vaccine, she had chicken pox as a kid. The vaccine wasn't licensed in Canada until 1998 and the vaccine programs started in 2000.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

I'm not sure - I just assumed she had chicken pox. My son is her same age and he didn't have the vaccine I don't think it was around back then? Or maybe it came out after he already had chicken pox he was very young when he got it.

Edit: no vaccine, she had chicken pox as a kid. The vaccine wasn't licensed in Canada until 1998 and the vaccine programs started in 2000.

Is it just me, or do others seem to have someone who disagrees with literally every post they write? Idk it just seems odd that someone would disagree with the above statements of fact. Like do they disagree that my son had chicken pox as a very young child? Or that the chicken pox vaccine was licensed in Canada in 1998? It doesn't really matter - it just really confuses me.

I feel like maybe someone has a problem with me and just disagrees with everything I post.

Go back a few pages and you'll see that other people get disagrees too. Some people are very sensitive to disagrees and may have to decide not to post if it really bothers them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    My husband was picking up a prescription from the pharmacist yesterday. He asked the pharmacist about getting his second shingles shot. The pharmacist asked him if he got vaccinated for covid yet. No he hasn’t. The pharmacist told him that he can’t have the second shingles shot until he’s had been vaccinated for covid. I guess you’re not supposed to have other vaccines with in a certain amount of time of each other.

I think because there's no data yet, they are erring on the side of caution and requiring the covid vaccine to be done on its own and with a buffer period.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member

Is it just me, or do others seem to have someone who disagrees with literally every post they write? Idk it just seems odd that someone would disagree with the above statements of fact. Like do they disagree that my son had chicken pox as a very young child? Or that the chicken pox vaccine was licensed in Canada in 1998? It doesn't really matter - it just really confuses me.

I feel like maybe someone has a problem with me and just disagrees with everything I post.

Yeah - disagrees happen (and btw, I know we had a lil’ argument over vaccinating pregnant women a few pages back, but I’m not your disagree stalker, we’re cool). However I have a question about the chicken pox. I didn’t know it could affect covid vaccinations, could you elaborate on that?

I never had the chicken pox vaccine eiher and hadn’t even heard there’s a vaccine for it until I traveled to the US for an exchange program in 2008 and had to have either the vaccine or confirmation that I’d had it. Got blood tests to confirm I had it basically asymptomatically around the same time my best friend and my sister had it when we were kids. I lucked out with that one - a former colleague got chicken pox as an adult and it was nasty. Apparently the vaccine is in our national vaccination program for kids now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Fortnight=two weeks. I've always loved that term and wished it was more common in the US. I think I learned it originally from English kid's books.

I remember getting wrong answers on spelling tests thanks to English kid's books. Centre, theatre, etc.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    hipari wrote: »

Yeah - disagrees happen (and btw, I know we had a lil’ argument over vaccinating pregnant women a few pages back, but I’m not your disagree stalker, we’re cool). However I have a question about the chicken pox. I didn’t know it could affect covid vaccinations, could you elaborate on that?

I never had the chicken pox vaccine eiher and hadn’t even heard there’s a vaccine for it until I traveled to the US for an exchange program in 2008 and had to have either the vaccine or confirmation that I’d had it. Got blood tests to confirm I had it basically asymptomatically around the same time my best friend and my sister had it when we were kids. I lucked out with that one - a former colleague got chicken pox as an adult and it was nasty. Apparently the vaccine is in our national vaccination program for kids now.

We now know that if you get chicken pox as a child, the virus lies dormant in your system and emerge later as shingles. They don't know for sure why some people can carry the virus and never get shingles while others do, sometimes multiple times. It seems at least in some cases the virus takes advantage of stress or illness to re emerge. There is now a chicken pox vaccine for children, I'd say within the last 10-20 years maybe? If you had chicken pox, you should get the shingles vaccine when your older, if you're younger and got the chicken pox vaccine, you don't have to worry about shingles