Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    @33gail33 Hopefully this article will help you clarify your question and concern:

Delay the Second Covid Vaccine Shot? What Experts Say
    By John Lauerman and Jason Gale
    January 24, 2021, 11:43 PM PST Updated on February 22, 2021, 1:29 PM PST

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-25/why-delaying-the-second-covid-vaccine-shot-is-messy-quicktake
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Update on the shingles vaccine reaction if anyone is interested. While the urgent care doctor said that she "couldn't rule out" a vaccine reaction, the next day her GP told her definitively that she believes it to be a vaccine reaction. Given her age, general health, and the timing of the rash "you would not have shingles right now if you hadn't had the vaccine".
    Don't shoot me I am just the messenger - that is what the doctors are telling us.
    Personally it wouldn't dissuade me from getting the vaccine, I do wish that I had a shingles vaccine prior though.

Nobody is or was 'shooting' you :*

Would be interested to know via what mechanism the Dr thinks covid vaccine brought on shingles - since, as we all know, shingles is caused by re activation of chicken pox virus, dormant in your system since having the primary disease.

Or how he knows she wouldn't have shingles anyway - given young and healthy people can and do get it.

It is her professional opinion given her age, health status and the timing of the illness that it was triggered by the vaccine. I imagine she thinks it was brought on by stressing her immune system enough to reactivate the virus. Of course we will never know for sure, although as time goes on if we start seeing more cases I guess that will give more confirmation.

Ok, so she hasn't said by what mechanism this has happened just her opinion based on something

Her age and health status wouldn't suggest it to me - since since young healthy people do get shingles.

Not as commonly as older people but by no means rare.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2021
    Update on the shingles vaccine reaction if anyone is interested. While the urgent care doctor said that she "couldn't rule out" a vaccine reaction, the next day her GP told her definitively that she believes it to be a vaccine reaction. Given her age, general health, and the timing of the rash "you would not have shingles right now if you hadn't had the vaccine".
    Don't shoot me I am just the messenger - that is what the doctors are telling us.
    Personally it wouldn't dissuade me from getting the vaccine, I do wish that I had a shingles vaccine prior though.

Would be interested to know via what mechanism the Dr thinks covid vaccine brought on shingles - since, as we all know, shingles is caused by re activation of chicken pox virus, dormant in your system since having the primary disease.

Or how he knows she wouldn't have shingles anyway - given young and healthy people can and do get it.

It is her professional opinion given her age, health status and the timing of the illness that it was triggered by the vaccine. I imagine she thinks it was brought on by stressing her immune system enough to reactivate the virus. Of course we will never know for sure, although as time goes on if we start seeing more cases I guess that will give more confirmation.

Ok, so she hasn't said by what mechanism this has happened just her opinion based on something

Her age and health status wouldn't suggest it to me - since since young healthy people do get shingles.

Honestly I wasn’t there (obviously) for the conversation and I didn’t grill my DIL on her exact wording.
    So since it wouldn’t suggest it to you what would you suggest might be the cause - what is the usual trigger for shingles in young healthy people? I have mostly read that is triggered by reduced immunity, illness and/or stress. Is it more accurate that the cause is just random chance in your experience?
    So correct me if I am wrong but you think it is more likely that this just occurred randomly with no identifiable stressor - than that it is somehow linked to a vaccine that directly affects the immune system? I guess to me with no other risk factor one would logically at least suspect the one risk factor that was recently introduced.