WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Kayla- love to hear u were on a bike... morning peeps and happy bday to all March babies

I meant katla, that was autocorrect
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Oh Beth. Oh. Oh. Thank you so much for sharing at this so difficult time. Just sending love winging across the pond.
    I'm glad your fine young man had a good send off.

Much love to you and your family.
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My best friend from where I used to live, my yoga friend, at last replied to my texts.. She had been at the emergency hospital with suspected migraine/TIAs. I thought something was wrong, because she usually replies promptly. She is going to have more tests soon.
    She is such a lovely person, I wish I could see her. :'( Must be scary to be having 'funny episodes', as she calls it.

Pat - Sorry you've had a lot to deal with. Glad you have support. <3

Heather, feeling thoughtful in Hove, UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Kim - I agree with you about Allie needing time. My MIL had heart surgery after having a heart attack, she said it took about a year to feel like doing anything. Her tastebuds changed too for some odd reason and she ended up losing a lot of weight. She went from a size 22 to size 12. She never told me the weight loss.

Carol - my Grandson will be 10 in September. I can’t believe I’ve missed so much of his life this past year. They grow so fast.

Debbie - love the quilt.

Rebecca -that’s a great idea, I Amy do that. Their birthdays were May and October. I found it cool here the last two summers so I know what you mean. Just rainy and cold.

Heather - I hope to be that type of Grandmother too. I ran away when I was 15 or so to a friends house my Maternal Gram and Gramp came and took me out of school the next day and convinced me to live with them. The funny part was they lived only about 100 yards from my parents. My parents were at their house every evening. I’ll see if I can find a pic. Anyway the deal was I wouldn’t have to speak to my Father and Mother but I would go to school. I lived with them for close to a year. The not speaking to my parents only lasted a couple of weeks though.
    My other Grandmother was very difficult but I still stayed with her a lot as we enjoyed some tv shows together and she had a colour tv. We watched Dallas and Dukes of Hazard together every Friday night.
    What a great picture of Bea. My Granddaughter was 5 in January.

Beth - my heart breaks for you and your family. I hope the service brought some comfort to you.

I went into work for 3 hours today to try to save myself some grief tomorrow. I was on the fence on whether to go in or do more education. I decided the best thing would be to go in and get some payroll completed. I stopped on the way home and bought a salad for myself for supper. I also bought some chips and pop for later. I have decided that will be my Sunday treat and it’s been working for the last 3 weeks.

Our daughter will be stopping for a quick minute after she is done work to get some papers I printed for her.

Here is the tulip quilt I was describing. I didn’t take a full picture of it as the bed it is on has a lot piled on it right now still from Christmas. I haven’t been cleared to do a major clean yet and that’s what I need to do in that room.
    z9bqym6kr7qr.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton

love the quilt!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    This is a photo of my parents house from my brother’s. My Grandparents house was about where I drew the yellow line. The house was taken down in 2009. My brother was going to update it and move in, but there was too much rot and would have been way out of his financial ability. My parents house is gone now too, it was full of mold upstairs and probably shouldn’t have been inhabited even when we were young.
    k8c7i9nyx7o7.jpeg
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    Beth - Words fail me. Just know that you are thought of often.

Allie - I agree with Rebecca. Be more patient with yourself.

Tracy - The quilt is lovely.

Got the OK from cardiologist to exercise more so have set a goal to average 7500 steps per day on my Fitbit. Didn't quite make it week before last but did well this last week. I am waiting to get the vaccine before I return to the YM. Hope that will be soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    My mom got her shot! Yay! For some reason, that led to a huge cheat day for me. After Sunday dinner midday, I planned to not eat anymore but I had candy, cookies and popcorn. I should have just eaten something wholesome. Always a battle.

Beth, sounds like a wonderful service. May Ian rest in peace.

Allie, yes take time to rest!

Debbie Happy birthday!

Annie in Delaware
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    A picture of my home town this spring-
    gadd00zxrdhs.png

Not my picture(I thought about stopping on my drive up last time but too much traffic to deal with to get back on the road

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Machka-my surgery was the 21st of January.. i know just a couple of months..
    Fell asleep after 9 pm and slept for an hour,then awake until after 3 am and then got a couple hrs sleep until 8 so about 4 1/2 hrs .
    The dr did send in for a sleep apnea test,but has to get approved by insurance so dont know how long that will take but they said they would call me.
    So im sure i will nap this morning..

Not a couple months. 46 days. Just over 6 weeks.
  • Machka9
    edited March 2021
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Allie - Major major surgery, and then still in AFib - please quit worrying about your sleep patterns and just rest when you feel like it, sleep when you feel like it, eat when you feel like it. I have a friend who's hubby has had major surgery and it was not his heart, but they told them 18-24 months minimum! So you should expect a long time... this was not a minor event!
    Tell anyone who is expecting you to do for them to just go away or you'll have your friends from MFP haunt them for ever!!! LOL

Kim in N. California

Yes!

As I said, it has been 46 days ... or 6 weeks and 4 days ... or 1 month, 15 days after Allie's SECOND heart surgery.

@grandmallie ... if you look it up on Google, you'll see they say that 6 months is not unusual. And this is your second surgery. And you've mentioned that they might need to do another procedure yet. You aren't going to be recovered for a long time.

Have you had a chance to talk to your doctor?

Have you asked about a recovery progression -- what you could be doing after a certain number of weeks, what to expect, and so on?

I'm concerned about you out driving ... have you been given clearance for that? Especially if you're in afib?

You said if you needed something your kids would help you and then in the next post you're driving your son to work. Let people help you!

And I'll echo Kim ...

Tell anyone who is expecting you to do for them to just go away or you'll have your friends from MFP haunt them for ever!!! LOL

Machka in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Good evening all:

Allie-in addition to the January surgery, didn't you also have some major procedures in November/December? That all adds together and compounds the length of time recovery takes.

Pat C. in Ohio-sorry to hear of your health issues. I have 25 years of experience with thyroid cancer. Let me know if you have any questions. Right now they are probably trying to get your thyroid replacement meds figured out-that can take a bit and it is not uncommon to feel miserable then. I hope in addition to your surgeon you have a good endocrinologist who is experienced in thyroid cancer. I go to the James at OSU.

Beth-while it was emotionally draining I am glad you were able to have a remembrance service for your son. While it had to be adapted somewhat due to Covid I think we the living need something to help us accept the loss.

Tracey-beautiful quilts.

Had one of those days where I got several odds and ends done. Some stuff put away and organized. Laundry, etc. On-line church. Went for an hours walk-still cool today but the sunlight was wonderful. Had Zoom meeting with Church council executive committee in preparation for council on Tuesday.

SIL feeling better today than yesterday. Her reaction to the Pfizer vaccine was pretty intense (chills, body aches and fatigue). Seems like worst of it was maybe 24 hours. Says she is still a bit achey today but was able to stay up all day and eat.

Need to clock into work early tomorrow to get some stuff done in case I don't feel up to working after vaccine Tuesday. Looking forward to getting second dose over with.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.. yes I had my first surgery on th we 20th of November,and then second on the 21st of January.. so yes you all are right i will not get myself in a lather and take it a day at a time...
    Beth- no words I am.so so sorry for your loss.. my prayers are with you and the family xoxo
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did stretching DVD today. I can’t decide if tomorrow I should walk on the stairmaster or do some HIIT on the elliptical. See, I’m going out with a neighbor to this Mexican place tomorrow and I’m thinking that I should burn more calories.

My DVD player came! It wasn’t due to be delivered until tomorrow but it came today.

Been weighing myself on the scale at the gym here. It doesn’t look (according to that scale) like I’ve lost but on the good side I haven’t gained. I was hoping that I’d lose being down here since I sweat so much more. Guess we shall see when we get home. After weighing themselves, some people don't reset the scale so I'm wondering how accurate it is.

It’s VERY breezy today so no pool. Been cleaning some like the tables, the windows, etc. Not vacuuming since that won’t stay clean until Thursday. Will probably wash the floor on the porch, the bathrooms, part of the kitchen. ran the selfclean on the oven. First time ever that I've done that. Cleaned the microwave and vacuumed the second bedroom. We'll just keep that door closed until we leave. So wednesday I'll just have to vacuum, wash part of the kitchen floor, and do laundry.

Ran the dishwasher and smelled something burning. I wonder if it’s something in the dishwasher?

Anne de – I’m glad you went with your dad and extra glad that he’s OK

Tracey – I always used to get “dressed up” (not a dress, but dressy pants and top) for church and I realized that very few people get dressed up. I honestly feel that if you are lectoring and in the day Eucharistic Minister or Usher you should be dressed nicer than jeans or shorts, but people were in jeans and shorts. I still don’t like jeans. I only wear them very seldom but with a dressy blouse and/or jacket

Debbie – I remember when I was little I had this hat that I wore to church. It covered the curlers I had in my hair!!!

Allie – you can also warn those friends who want you to do something for them that if they persist, pip will come with her boot!!!!

Heather – Bea will be 5!!!! Boy, I remember when you were making her christening cake. Where DOES the time go?

Pat OH – Come back soon. Take care of yourself. Thanks for keeping us updated ((HUG))

Beth – oh sweet Beth! You are very strong to be able to give the eulogy. I don’t think I could have done that. How big hearted of you to forgive that man. You’re right, no good could come from you not forgiving him. He’s probably wracked with sorrow as it is, and always will be. Thank you for sharing your ordeal with us.

Tracey -beautiful quilt. Is that hand quilted?

Sad Michele
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    It’s VERY breezy today so no pool. Been cleaning some like the tables, the windows, etc. Not vacuuming since that won’t stay clean until Thursday. Will probably wash the floor on the porch, the bathrooms, part of the kitchen. ran the selfclean on the oven. First time ever that I've done that. Cleaned the microwave and vacuumed the second bedroom. We'll just keep that door closed until we leave. So wednesday I'll just have to vacuum, wash part of the kitchen floor, and do laundry.

Ran the dishwasher and smelled something burning. I wonder if it’s something in the dishwasher?

Sad Michele

Does the place just sit empty 11 months of the year ... or does it get rented out?

• Machka9
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Thank you ladies for the good thoughts and prayers sent my way on the loss of my son, Ian. Ian was 34 years old, physically disabled, had a brilliant mind, and was light-years ahead of all us in his faith.
    NY's rules have changed in regards to church services/funerals/etc. We had a vitiation on Friday for 3 hours where masks were required. Due to my hearing loss, those who came to see us were given an index card to write down what they had hoped to say to me. They could drop it in a basket or hand it to me directly. I used a phone app that tried to transcribe what people said through their masks. It worked so-so. You don't really need an app, or words even, to see the grief in another's eyes. Their tears and hugs spoke volumes. And yes, every single person hugged me! If I don't contract Covid it will be a miracle. Not that I even care much about that now ...

Yesterday we had a Celebration of Life service at our church. Our pastor/church has been criticized for being too cautious, but as you may recall I shared with him the words from one state governor who said that "the healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable." He took that to heart months ago. We require masks, hand sanitizing before entering, pews are physically taped off to encourage social distancing. No plates passed or anything like that. We were prepared to move people to other rooms than the sanctuary if necessary We also live-streamed the service and many people took advantage of that. Anyways. the church was well filled yesterday for my son. I gave the eulogy. A young man whom I didn't know prior to Ian's death, spoke formally as well and several people shared. The pastor preached. It was a powerful day. The outpouring of love has been overwhelming. My son was an inspiration to hundreds and impacted lives that we are only now beginning to hear about.

Staff from the group home came to both the visitation and the funeral. The man who overcooked the piece of food (he was not the one to feed it to Ian ... someone else made that mistake by not grinding it according to specifications) that set off the catastrophic series of events came to the funeral home. He was heartbroken. And I forgave him, just as Ian would have. Ian's willingness to forgive was unfathomable.

We had hoped that the service would still be available after the livestream, but I guess we made a mistake with a piece of music that was played during a video tribute and we've had the server (it goes through FaceBook?) pull it down for copyright infringement. If it was still available you could have seen me speak and seen photos of how my Ian defied all odds!

Many, many things went wrong leading up to my son's death. We will be taking the weeks and months ahead to process all of that. To decide how me move forward. For now we are focusing on the details of emptying his room at the group home. We have 30 days. Taking care of the last details ... bank accounts, things like that. It's complicated. Ian was his own guardian/rep payee, but considered our permanently disabled dependent for insurance purposes ... and he didn't have a will.

We have been flooded with food and so, as you can imagine, my eating has been off the rails. So many wonderful salads and fruit bowls ... all of which are still in the refrigerator... since we chose to eat the cookies and sweets instead. Lol. If I don't stop they'll need a double-wide casket when I die.

My heart has a physical ache that will not ever go away on this side of the cross ... but I will be ok. I believe in the gospel. And I will be reunited with my son someday.

Beth near Buffalo

{{{Hug}}}
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    Uuuuu