WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Rebecca: I remember you talking about attending a Renaissance Faire in the past. I went to one in Colorado with my daughter and granddaughter quite a few years ago. It was wonderful. I liked the jousting best. There were also wonderful musicians with bagpipes and drums. Their performance was a high spot for me. A greyhound dog rescue group was there trying to find homes for former racing dogs. There were also rides. Our granddaughter sat in a seat on a ride that spun faster & faster. She loved it. I was happy enough just watching. Happy times from long ago—and I hope for a future that allows people to go to fairs, and enjoy the entertainments and fair food. I have hope that this current round of vaccinations will help make that fantasy a reality in years to come. :star:
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited March 2021
    thanks for the shoe-in-formation!

i hope you are all well. i enjoyed reading.

i am from barefoot to socks to flip flops at home, most of the time.
    when i lived at a freezing cold hard-to-heat country house it was wool socks and boots in the winter! :D

Ginny i hope your jab goes ok and you don't suffer too much.

Went for a walk yesterday in forest w a friend who lives by forest. it was really nice but so much travel time, so i felt pretty bushed afterwards!

Morning ok, got caught up in some stuff.
    afternoon blah, "did" online training but was having bug. and so couldn't really follow well; i think the teaching wasn't great. a student was replacing the teacher a bit. i had done this one before live before and it was WAY better live. if you were stuck that was clear, but online it's uncomfortable to say you need help (don't want to bother others) and they are not very able to help personal bugs if they are not widespread. that was a bust!

excellent meeting afterwards;
    prepped some work for tomorrow morning this evening.
    friend was supposed to help me but at 10pm, it was late. she dropped out an hour before, but i didn't mind since i'm tired too. i found her dropping last minute a bit lame though.

anyway. tired!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    Stats for the day-

Zwift bike trainer- 57.15min, 679elev, 138ahr, 159mhr, 15.8amph, 15.06mi= 521c
    Strava app = 326c
    Walk w/family- 2hrs 21min 26sec, 97ahr, 116mhr, 143elev, 8.02mi= 719c
    Strava app = 971c

Total cal 1240
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD-I have a knitted throw that my maternal grandmother did. Its towards the foot of the bedspread and keeps my feet toasty. Interestingly enough it was one I watched her work on. All her leftover yarns used so its a rainbow of colors. She gave it to us for our wedding present. We used it Renaissance camping as well as an extra blanket for the boys. when I use it, I kind of feel her hugs.💖

You just reminded me that I have two crocheted afgans that I got as wedding gifts(first wedding) one from my paternal grandma and one from one of my aunts. I need to pull them out and use them again- I did have them out for a long time. They are not as soft as I like so that is why I don't use them like I used to. I need to just have them out.Special memories.

Debbie
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🙋‍♀️😊💙
  • Katla49
    :flowerforyou:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,782 Member
    QUESTION-what footwear do you wear when pottering or working at home? I take my shoes off the miute I set in the door at home. Most the rest of the time I wear skecters, I have like 5 pairs and I wear them at work and eveywhere else. I do change them each day, so not wearing the same ones all the time. I do have a pair of boots for riding the motorcycle, but I forget to wear them most the time.

Our DGD Addie spent the weekend with us. She is 12 and talks non stop. Saturday was so nice we went for a motorcycle ride. DH follows on his bike and we had a nice time. Yesterday after church DH'S sister and kids came to town to shop at Menards as they live in small town just over the Nebraska and Kansas line. Had lunch and a nice visit. DS came over and helped put up my 2 flags. Decided to put them on the house instead of a pole. Glad it is done and looks nice. Next project is the porch and steps. I also want to find someone to take out our bath tub and put in a walk in shower. Got some good ideas at Menards yesterday.

Allie--I know it is not easy. But just relax and let your body heal and when it is all done you will be supriesed how last things get back to normal. But it takes time and lots of rest.

KJ--I am so excited for you and your trip to see family. It will be here before you know it. I hope you can relax and enjoy every minute.

Mrs-Hoffer--If DH and I tried the own trail thing someone would have to come find us. A couple years ago we went walking in this area on the edge of town. Ending up lost and turned around. Finally just kept walking one way and came across an old empty office building and knew that there had to be a road close, climbed over the wall and found the road and realized we ended up back half a block from where we parked. It's funny now, not then I just knew we were lost and would never be found.

Debbie and Tracey--Thanks for sharing the beautiful quilts. My grandmother made me several and always told me to use them, not leave in a closet to rust. So did for a long time and now have them put up.
    Beth--Sounds like a very nice service. Sending hugs and prayers.

Been a long day. Going home soon.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • Katla49
    :star:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,056 Member
    ☘️
  • Katla49
    Walking the dog on a nice day is a treat. My vaccination headache is easing away & I feel BETTER! One vaccination to go at the end of the month & I’m looking forward to being done. I’m beginning to think about how to celebrate. Seeing good friends in person is high on that list. <3
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Thank you ladies for the good thoughts and prayers sent my way on the loss of my son, Ian. Ian was 34 years old, physically disabled, had a brilliant mind, and was light-years ahead of all us in his faith.
    NY's rules have changed in regards to church services/funerals/etc. We had a vitiation on Friday for 3 hours where masks were required. Due to my hearing loss, those who came to see us were given an index card to write down what they had hoped to say to me. They could drop it in a basket or hand it to me directly. I used a phone app that tried to transcribe what people said through their masks. It worked so-so. You don't really need an app, or words even, to see the grief in another's eyes. Their tears and hugs spoke volumes. And yes, every single person hugged me! If I don't contract Covid it will be a miracle. Not that I even care much about that now ...

Yesterday we had a Celebration of Life service at our church. Our pastor/church has been criticized for being too cautious, but as you may recall I shared with him the words from one state governor who said that "the healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable." He took that to heart months ago. We require masks, hand sanitizing before entering, pews are physically taped off to encourage social distancing. No plates passed or anything like that. We were prepared to move people to other rooms than the sanctuary if necessary We also live-streamed the service and many people took advantage of that. Anyways. the church was well filled yesterday for my son. I gave the eulogy. A young man whom I didn't know prior to Ian's death, spoke formally as well and several people shared. The pastor preached. It was a powerful day. The outpouring of love has been overwhelming. My son was an inspiration to hundreds and impacted lives that we are only now beginning to hear about.

Staff from the group home came to both the visitation and the funeral. The man who overcooked the piece of food (he was not the one to feed it to Ian ... someone else made that mistake by not grinding it according to specifications) that set off the catastrophic series of events came to the funeral home. He was heartbroken. And I forgave him, just as Ian would have. Ian's willingness to forgive was unfathomable.

We had hoped that the service would still be available after the livestream, but I guess we made a mistake with a piece of music that was played during a video tribute and we've had the server (it goes through FaceBook?) pull it down for copyright infringement. If it was still available you could have seen me speak and seen photos of how my Ian defied all odds!

Many, many things went wrong leading up to my son's death. We will be taking the weeks and months ahead to process all of that. To decide how me move forward. For now we are focusing on the details of emptying his room at the group home. We have 30 days. Taking care of the last details ... bank accounts, things like that. It's complicated. Ian was his own guardian/rep payee, but considered our permanently disabled dependent for insurance purposes ... and he didn't have a will.

We have been flooded with food and so, as you can imagine, my eating has been off the rails. So many wonderful salads and fruit bowls ... all of which are still in the refrigerator... since we chose to eat the cookies and sweets instead. Lol. If I don't stop they'll need a double-wide casket when I die.

My heart has a physical ache that will not ever go away on this side of the cross ... but I will be ok. I believe in the gospel. And I will be reunited with my son someday.

Beth near Buffalo

This is so touching, Beth. I am glad that you are getting support from those around you. Your son was truly amazing. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    Machka9 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    It’s VERY breezy today so no pool. Been cleaning some like the tables, the windows, etc. Not vacuuming since that won’t stay clean until Thursday. Will probably wash the floor on the porch, the bathrooms, part of the kitchen. ran the selfclean on the oven. First time ever that I've done that. Cleaned the microwave and vacuumed the second bedroom. We'll just keep that door closed until we leave. So wednesday I'll just have to vacuum, wash part of the kitchen floor, and do laundry.

Ran the dishwasher and smelled something burning. I wonder if it’s something in the dishwasher?

Sad Michele

Does the place just sit empty 11 months of the year ... or does it get rented out?

And if so, why aren't you staying down there more in the winter!! I would totally hang out there from about November, maybe October, until March.

Are your kids allowed to use it when you aren't there? What a great place for them to hang out for a vacation break.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    edited March 2021
    suebdew wrote: »
    I was wondering if we are breathing out fat, does it get stuck in the mask and we breathe it back into our body.

SueBDew in TX

I have no idea, but I just want to remind everyone that whole groups of people in various professions have been wearing masks at work for hours a day for years, with, so far as we've ever heard, no ill effects.

And if I am breathing back fat into my body, I'm gonna be really mad about that! (But I'm pretty sure I'm not.)

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    edited March 2021
    Good afternoon.

My mother got her second shot Friday morning, and no nasty side effects. Just a sore arm and a little fatigue. Now, of course, I'm worried that maybe it didn't take. But I'm trying not to worry about it.

It was nice to spend time with her for a few days, and we took our puppy up. She was a handful, without a fenced lawn for her to potty and run, but she did enjoy numerous walks and loved the new smells and textures of the forested yard my mother lives in. We took her bell up, and she would punch it when she wanted to get outside, which was very often. So often, we removed the bell, then she would try to move the rug to find where the bell had gone. The other funny thing she did about the bell was try to figure out where the voice was. At home, we have the voice part of the bell plugged into an outlet very high in the staircase. But at my mom's house, it was down very low in a hallway. So the dog spent about 30 minutes one afternoon pushing the bell, then racing down to the middle of the hall to look around for the voice. It was pretty funny, but also annoying. (In case you're wondering, the bell has different chime choices. We have chosen: "How are you, please. Open the door." We chuckle every time because the pause is in the wrong place, so even though the makers intended it to be very polite, it comes across quite rude.)

She also had her first vet appointment this morning, and the vet confirmed that she is definitely a mini aussie. She is going to be a small thing -- likely 20-25 pounds at the most. Still, she is almost as tall as the cat now, so she looks like a leggy teenager.

That's about all going on here. Really beat today, for some reason, but I did manage to get a lot of small tasks accomplished at work.

Take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,056 Member
    ☘️
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    lol - Flea’s dog and her bell - what a smart pup!

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My day is close to that, I count from the time I get up until I get home the workday. I am not a morning person and prefer pacing around in the morning, so getting to work is work for me.
    So, 10 hours Work, 1 hour supper and cleaning, 5 hours recreation and the rest sleeping.

Tracey in Edmonton

From the time I get up in the morning - getting ready for work, until I return home is about 10.5 hours.
    Sleep is usually about 7 hours although I would like more.

For the past 6 years, I've spent my evenings doing homework, housework, and/or caring for my husband.
    Then I graduated ... but I had several things piled on which I had to take care of, till now.

Now it's just 10.5 hours of work, 7 hours of sleep, about an hour of exercise and 4-5 hours of house projects & husband caring stuff.

What do you do during your 5 hours of recreation?
    I'm at the point I can't imagine what I would do if there weren't a long list of things I needed to do.

I had a big learning curve on what to do when my girls moved out. I started enjoying crafting again. I watch way too much tv! I bath for about 30 minutes every evening. In the nicer weather I usually walk for an hour. I would like to get into a craft or volunteering or something now that I’m in a job where I don’t end up working late a lot.
    That will have to wait for Covid to be done.

Tracey
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Lisa - I have a quilt on my bed my M Grandmother made for me the year we were married. The one I have is very worn in places, but the Wright of it is perfect. I have a few quilts from her. I would love to put the wedding ring quilt on the bed, but the backing is white and my husband sweats and I’m scared it will be ruined.

I’ve only uploaded photos from my phone, but haven’t tried today. Maybe they have a hiccup.

Kelly - I hope you have an amazing trip!

Allie - I’m so happy to read you had a decent night sleep.

Annie - our dreams take some deciphering at times. I regularly dream about a boss I haven’t had for 10 years now.

Rita - I always feel so bad when I miss a few days on here. I try to go back but sometimes I cheat and check what Barbara has written to people to decide if I need to or not.

Vicki - I envy you all the visiting, you are so blessed. We are still under outside gatherings only. I figure they’ll lift that when it is nice enough to gather outside.

Rebecca - that picture on top looks like Athena. Is that her Dad or Uncle?
    Genetics fascinate me. I like that we can see others in one person.
    In 2012, my daughter was 21 and we went home to NB. She had been away from there since she was 6. She went bowling with one of her cousins and this stranger came up to her and said you must be Mike’s granddaughter, you look just like him. Her looks are all her fathers side but her personality is all me.
    Our other daughter is opposite, looks like me, had her Father’s personality.

Flea - I wouldn’t worry about the vaccine. Probably 85% of the people in our facility, residents and staff had no reactions at all, some not even the sore arm.
    Some had a reaction to the first and not the second and some the second not the first. I think they all work, it just affects everyone differently.

My cousin has her dog trained to ring a bell to be let out too. It’s just a large bell on the door handle though.

Cooler here today and a bit of snow in the air.

Today is International Women’s day and to celebrate our local country station was playing mostly female artists, some old ones, Loretta, Dolly, Reba, etc.
    I texted my daughter to tell her as Michaela (5) only likes female singers.
    My daughter responded with, “she’s grocery shopping”
    I said, “that sounds funny”
    My daughter responded again with “Ryan was driving obviously”.
    I laughed because it sounded like this little girl was out making sure the family had food for the week.
    It is Michaela’s only regular outing since she learned how to wear her mask properly. She even has her own little sanitizer in her purse she carries.

I am watching the Voice, covered under a blanket and have a hot cup of tea. I’m still cold though.

Tracey in Edmonton