Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2021
    I am super surprised for instance that @Theo166 didn't have the basic understanding of the mRNA vaccine technology until yesterday. This thing (Covid) has stopped the world in its tracks and will affect the world's economy (i.e. YOU) for the next ten years minimum ....and people haven't taken an hour or so of their past year's isolation to learn about this vaccine? It's mind-boggling to me.

As far as the HPV vac, at least you have to have sex to catch it so there is some personal control. The SARS virus(es) are way too easily transmitted for us to be safe without a majority being vaccinated.

The anti-vaxx crap sadly doesn't surprise me even though I think it's a very dangerous stance - for all of us. I mean, people believe all kinds of scary stuff. Or are they just trolling us in a long game?

My uncle used to say, "Well, it will thin the herd."

I don't get your faux outrage at me, didn't you read my post?

- I already had COVID so I didn't really need the vaccine urgently. I was donating plasma for COVID therapy up to Jan, so I knew I still had some protection. I read up on everything related to treatment before I got COVID (well before vaccines were coming out), but after I recovered it was no longer a priority.
    - My friends and family are pro-vaccine, no need to second guess the intricoes of the various vaccines being developed.

maybe you should reflect on your anger before posting.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited March 2021
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,359 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    With all the talk about vaccine safety in pregnant women, I thought that this was good news and a good link to share.

First baby in U.S. born with antibodies against COVID-19 after mom receives dose of Moderna vaccine while pregnant - CBS News
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-moderna-baby-born-antibodies/

I actually thought that you should not get the vaccine if you are pregnant.
    But that goes for all vaccines i thought

PS CBS news is not scientific news, so if there is someone to provide actual papers on yes or no vaccine for pregnant woman, i would like to know
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I am super surprised for instance that @Theo166 didn't have the basic understanding of the mRNA vaccine technology until yesterday. This thing (Covid) has stopped the world in its tracks and will affect the world's economy (i.e. YOU) for the next ten years minimum ....and people haven't taken an hour or so of their past year's isolation to learn about this vaccine? It's mind-boggling to me.

As far as the HPV vac, at least you have to have sex to catch it so there is some personal control. The SARS virus(es) are way too easily transmitted for us to be safe without a majority being vaccinated.

The anti-vaxx crap sadly doesn't surprise me even though I think it's a very dangerous stance - for all of us. I mean, people believe all kinds of scary stuff. Or are they just trolling us in a long game?

My uncle used to say, "Well, it will thin the herd."

I don't get your faux outrage at me, didn't you read my post?

- I already had COVID so I didn't really need the vaccine urgently. I was donating plasma for COVID therapy up to Jan, so I knew I still had some protection. I read up on everything related to treatment before I got COVID (well before vaccines were coming out), but after I recovered it was no longer a priority.
    - My friends and family are pro-vaccine, no need to second guess the intricoes of the various vaccines being developed.

maybe you should reflect on your anger before posting.

"super surprised" and anger are two very different emotions.

At some point you'll likely need vaccination and since it's a huge world event it just surprised me to find out there was someone with internet access who hadn't read about the mRNA technology until two days ago.

If you hadn't read about it that means a lot of people are also ignorant of the mechanism behind it. That SURPRISES me. I don't know how to check that emotion.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Vaccines are not stopping the spread. So, If you're afraid then vaccinate. Just don't impose your fear on me. If I get sick I'll stay home.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    With all the talk about vaccine safety in pregnant women, I thought that this was good news and a good link to share.

First baby in U.S. born with antibodies against COVID-19 after mom receives dose of Moderna vaccine while pregnant - CBS News

PS CBS news is not scientific news, so if there is someone to provide actual papers on yes or no vaccine for pregnant woman, i would like to know

Vaccines, in and of themselves, aren't contra-indicated for people who are pregnant. The flu vaccine, for example, is actually recommended during pregnancy and they're currently tracking over 100 pregnant people who have received the COVID vaccination.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    There is no reliable evidence based study that links Gardasil to infertility just like there is no proof that other vaccines cause autism.

It is the same with the Covid vaccine. When you actually understand the physiology of the human body and vaccines, it makes complete sense.

Vaccines do not harm anyone. All they do is stimulate an immune response which happens naturally anyway when we are exposed to viruses and bacteria in the environment.

The Covid vaccine is a code for the spike protein of Covid. It is a piece of RNA, genetic material. You have a greater chance of being harmed through the body’s immune response to the actual virus than you do through the vaccine, which isn’t even a complete virus.

Naturally people want to find something to blame their infertility or child’s birth defects on. But, it is foolish and unfair to blame vaccines because that logic just isn’t sound.

I've been thinking about this, and I don't think it is universally true. A new Dengue vaccine did contribute the deaths of children in the Philippines not that long ago. I think dengue is kind of a unique illness where instead of becoming immune after the illness, you actually get sicker the second time you get it. So I believe the vaccine triggered more severe illness if those who had never been previously exposed got sick, and some children did die.
    I actually thought about that when I heard that this vaccine was being kind of fast tracked - did they test it in people who had previously been exposed? Did they test what happened if you got Covid after receiving it?
    I still wonder what effect the vaccine might have if you get exposed to a different variant. I know with dengue there is something called "antibody-dependent enhancement" where previous exposure actually makes the symptoms worse.
    Since I already got my first shot I am hoping that Covid doesn't evolve that way as well. (Although I am not a virologist so maybe the coronavirus behaves totatly differently than the dengue virus - it is the only one I have heard of that does that.)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Because of the lack of data, the guideline as I understand it is that pregnant women should consult with their doctors and make the best decision for themselves they can. So it's neither contraindicated or encouraged.

I don't believe the linked story was saying pregnant women should get the vaccine, just reporting that this pregnant woman did, and her baby was born with antibodies.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Vaccines can't stop the spread until they reach a herd immunity level...at this point my state is only about 11% vaccinated, it's not enough to stop the spread...not even enough to considerably slow it...but as the percentage of population vaccinated increases, it will slow and then stop the spread of covid, it's just going to take a while getting to that point.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    I think there are multiple camps on this issue. You have the pro vaccination group, the I am not going to get it because.. group, and the anti vaccination because it will kill you group. I agree with Kimny, I am also surprised that the US #s have dropped so rapidly, and I don't think it is possible that it is attributable to the vaccine but if a single dose gives some immunity or less severe cases perhaps it is? We did start this process in Dec.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Vaccines are not stopping the spread. <snip>

Actually, cases in nursing homes in the US have plummeted since vaccinations became available to them, and restrictions on visitors have been loosened.

Considering less than a quarter of the US is vaccinated so far, and those eligible for the shot in most areas are people who were most likely staying home anyway, anyone who understands how vaccinations work wouldn't be expecting national case numbers over all to have dropped drastically yet.

My husband and I were just talking about this - it's kind of a catch-22. Our numbers are going up again and pretty sure we are heading for another lockdown. We are now vaccinating 80+ years, and moving to 75+ shortly. Those people are the most likely to get serious illness, yet the younger people are the most likely to spread it. So who should we vaccinate first? Now that long term care homes are done I am thinking it should be younger people who have to go out to work.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited March 2021
    In Italy AstraZeneca has been re-instated and vaccinations are proceeding this afternoon. However damage has been done and some will not take it when offered.
This discussion has been closed.