March 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I got to run in torrential rain this morning. Twas lovely. Helps that summery temperatures have returned and the rain was more like taking a warm shower.

I've been incredibly tired in the last few weeks - a little hormonal but mostly because I'm building up to my next event so have been pushing my body quite hard and doing a lot of kilometres. I've been grumpy and wound up, and while my body is holding out well, my head has been battling. The rain was very soothing and I felt so much better within a few minutes of starting my run.

I believe it's the negative ions created in heavy rain - negative ions are created when large amounts of water molecules crash into each other - things like waterfalls, ocean waves, and rain storms. You cannot see, smell, or touch these microscopic particles but we can inhale them. It's not scientifically proven, but it has been suggested that when negative ions reach our bloodstream they create a chemical reaction, thereby alleviating feelings of stress and anxiety. Worked for me today!

Interesting.

Xrays create negative ions. Maybe that's why people feel better after their xray. They are genuinely therapeutic...
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    edited March 2021
    Sounds like someone needs to get @Scott6255 out on a trail!

As susceptible as I am to leg injuries, that would be a bad idea. I have a hard enough problem on flat roads 😉

But I am in awe of all of who are trail runners!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    2.3 miles last night, plus a short walk with the dogs and some ab work.

That Possum Kingdom medal is awesome!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited March 2021
    @martaindale Could you run it twice and send the second medal to me???????
    @ContraryMaryMary A run and a shower simultaneously.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @Tramboman Hahaha about getting caught and running away before the wife could yell at you. Now that's an incentive to start out fast. LOL Congratulations on the most miles in a month ever! I think I may right there with you this month. I have to look back to make sure.

@Scott6255 It is hard to run slower....even though I don't really run fast at any time. I find it worse on the treadmill. I tend to bounce more, which I think makes my HR higher. But, when I do manage to do it right, it's amazing how much you really do feel like you could run forever.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,701 Member
    March 1 – Exercise Bike (6.33 miles) + Strength training
    March 2 – 5.07 miles
    March 3 – Exercise Bike (7 miles) + strength
    March 4 – 5.35 miles (morning) + 3.05 miles (evening – hill repeats)
    March 5 – rest
    March 6 – 12.01 miles
    March 7 – Hiking – 2.27 miles – 1340 elevation gain
    March 8 – 5.18 miles
    March 9 – 3.34 miles
    March 10 – 5.18 miles
    March 11 – 5.21 miles
    March 12 – Hiking – 4.5 miles
    March 13 – 13.13 miles
    March 14 – Rest
    March 15 – 5.02 miles + strength + 1.24 mile walk at lunch
    March 16 – 3.45 miles + biking (5 miles)
    March 17 – Strength + Walk (2.18 miles)
    March 18 – 5.44 miles + Exercise Bike (12 miles)
    March 19 – Strength
    March 20 – 10 miles and lots of birthday cake!
    March 21 – 2 miles + 0.25 cooldown walk + biking (5.2 miles)
    March 22 – 5.08 miles
    March 23 – Strength + Yoga
    March 24 – 5.01 miles
    March 25 – Strength Intervals
    March 26 – 6.22 miles
    March 27 – Hike (4 miles)
    March 28 – Cardio + Stretch
    March 29 – Strength Intervals + Walk (2.07 miles) + 5.03 miles
    March 30 – 5.23 miles

I ran after work yesterday when temp was 61F and made the mistake of only having a long-sleeve shirt with me. Total sweat fest. This morning I ran with a friend who ran a marathon on Sunday so even though my legs were tired from running late yesterday, I knew we would be slower than normal this morning and it all worked out. Running temps were much better at 39F. Rain is in forecast for tomorrow so this will probably be my last run for the month. My goal was 100 miles and I ran 109.98 – did not count hiking or purposeful walking miles.

That is a nice, colorful medal @martaindale!
    I would say you definitely beat your brother yesterday @quilteryoyo! Good job!
    Negative ions or not, glad you enjoyed your mood lifting run @ContraryMaryMary.
    Congrats on your monthly distance PR @Tramboman!
    I have no problem running slow @Scott6255 and @quilteryoyo!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I never knew about rain and negative ions @ContraryMaryMary but I do know that running in the rain has always been nice.

@scott6255 I totally understand your concern. I don't do trail runs any more since getting injured after a fall when starting to train for trail ultras in 2016. Maybe someday. For the foreseeable future though I don't wish to increase any risks. As for running easier, you might feel more sore due to a change in your form. If your HR was still up you were not actually running at an easier effort, even if slower. It can be tricky to remember that the effort levels are 100% basedon HR and not perceived effort, especially when you have long been accustomed to accurately predicting your HR based on perceived efforts on typical runs.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    3/17 - 1.67 mile 31 min easy effort
    3/18 - .98 mile 15 min stamina effort
    3/19 - 1.66 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/22 - 1.67 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/23 - 1.73 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/24 - 1.31 mile 20 min stamina effort
    3/25 - 1.75 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/26 - 1.80 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/28 - 3.45 mile 60 min easy effort
    3/29 - 1.87 mile 30 min easy effort
    3/30 - 1.85 mile 30 min easy effort

It was 54 F when I set out this morning dressed in shorts and short sleeves. I guess the clouds, wind and humidity were just enough to make it seem like it was in the 40's and borderline long sleeve weather.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    Nice running @Teresa502 ! I've been cold lately, so actually wore long legging's for yesterday's run.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    Since I had the pacemaker put in I have been trying to figure out how to measure my effort other than by feel. I can't really use HR Zones any longer as the PM will determine that I have a requirement and pace my HR to 130-140 (max) even when I am just walking. It also means I can't really use changes in my HR/RHR to determine when I need to rest vs being well rested and ready to go. I was looking also into HRV which seems to be kind of a hot thing these days. It is and has been available on my Apple Watch for quite a while now and I found an interesting app called Training Today that uses the HRV data to determine where you are in your training cycle and when to rest vs push it. Unfortunately I discovered that I cannot use it either as ever since the PM it the HRV has become a pretty flat number so the PM is also impacting it most of the time (makes sense since I am pacing 75-80% of the time).
    So... Does anyone have any other ideas on metrics to use both instead of HR zones and for determining training cycle readiness? Or do I need to just forget all of those and go strictly by how I feel?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    Thanks @WhatMeRunning - I had looked on the pacemaker club forum and hadn't found anything but I will post a question. There is a young girl there who has a PM and is a runner and has had some good insights on other topics. They all were very helpful when I first got mine.