Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    Here in Belgium, the third wave is hitting hard and we are in almost full lockdown again as from today for a period of four weeks. Employers need to have (and prove) a very good reason to call in personnel and the government is doing random checks to make sure that everyone who is capable to work from home actually does so. To give you an idea: our R-value is at 1,12 and 7,7% of tests are positives - only 13% of 18+ people have had a least one shot.

All schools are closed again as are the hairdressers, beauty salons, etc, and non-essentials stores can only accept people inside with an appointment.
    The main reason behind the surge is the higher contagion rate of the variants who make patients more sick, especially the younger ones. This is something that is happening all over Europe.

These new restrictions hit hard, as we had thought restaurants would be able to reopen on May 1st, that was our shimmer of hope of getting back to a more normal way of life in a near future. Instead it is just the opposite and we are stranded again.
    On the bright side: we know it is for a few more months, we are resilient and we will get through it all. Come summer, we will be in a much better place !

We're seeing pretty much the same in Italy. It seems like an accordian---open and close...open and close...
    We are so sick of it all.

That's a very challenging part of it all. It seems like right now, schools, nursing homes and correctional centers(locally) are the biggest places of increasing numbers. Just yesterday our high school announced 4 more cases and they're deliberating whether to go remote or not. The elementary schools are always announcing another grade or two that are remote temporarily. I almost want to say 'close it all up for the rest of the school year' instead of the roller coaster affect. :/
    IDK There definitely is no easy answer to this except having patience and faith that vaccines will eventually slow things down.

In the US, I read we’re seeing an increase in cases in children in schools. The 16-and-under group that can’t be vaccinated yet. Just as LAUSD announced they’re going back into the classroom. Hope for the best is all I can do through my worry.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

AZ: we were told 12 weeks between doses.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

I believe the protocol for Pfizer is three weeks between doses (at least in Australia, don't know about anywhere else).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    I didnt know that.

I guess that does mean people in phase1a, the highest risk group, will be fully vaccinated sooner, so that's good.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

Yes, Pfizer is 3 weeks and Moderna is 4 weeks.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Just breaking -- Pfizer announces they are 100% effective for kids 12 to 15. That's awesome.

I got Pfizer last Friday (first shot). My next shot was scheduled 3 weeks later.

That's great, but 100% effective? Have never heard of a vaccine with that level of protection.