Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

AZ: we were told 12 weeks between doses.

I believe the protocol for Pfizer is three weeks between doses (at least in Australia, don't know about anywhere else).

Unless you are in Canada! We are spacing Pfizer out to 16 weeks. Got my first early March, next one June 28.

I think we are in much worse shape than Australia though, our cases are surging right now and they want to get as many first shots in arms as possible. Plus we have an ongoing vaccine shortage.

Astra Zeneca is also on hold here for those under 55 due to the blood clot issue. The Astra Zeneca rollout has been a nightmare here - first it was only for those under 60, then up to 65, then they said anyone can get it, now they are saying only over 55. Wouldn't surprise me if most of it goes in the garbage they have lost the confidence of the population with the constant recommendation changes, and I already know people who are refusing it (or planning to refuse it).

Yes, my dad got his first Pfizer shot on the 19th and his second appointment is in July.

I'd refuse that Astra Zeneca. I'm 57 so too close to that cutoff for comfort, plus it was apparently more of an issue in women than in men. Last I read, if you agreed to the A-Z you would have to sign some sort of informed consent.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

I believe the protocol for Pfizer is three weeks between doses (at least in Australia, don't know about anywhere else).

Unless you are in Canada! We are spacing Pfizer out to 16 weeks. Got my first early March, next one June 28.

I think we are in much worse shape than Australia though, our cases are surging right now and they want to get as many first shots in arms as possible. Plus we have an ongoing vaccine shortage.

Astra Zeneca is also on hold here for those under 55 due to the blood clot issue. The Astra Zeneca rollout has been a nightmare here - first it was only for those under 60, then up to 65, then they said anyone can get it, now they are saying only over 55. Wouldn't surprise me if most of it goes in the garbage they have lost the confidence of the population with the constant recommendation changes, and I already know people who are refusing it (or planning to refuse it).

Yes, my dad got his first Pfizer shot on the 19th and his second appointment is in July.

I'd refuse that Astra Zeneca. I'm 57 so too close to that cutoff for comfort, plus it was apparently more of an issue in women than in men. Last I read, if you agreed to the A-Z you would have to sign some sort of informed consent.

Yeah it is definitely women that are the concern- idk why they are stopping it for men. I only know one person who got is so far and he is a 62 year old man - he got it right at the start when they were giving it to 60-64 years olds in Toronto. I wonder what they are going to do about the second dose if they withdraw it.
  • 33gail33
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They discussed A-Z on TWIV in more depth this week. To boil it down, they said the incidence of blood clots was no greater than in the general pop, BUT acknowledged the fact that those few affected were under 55 women was unusual,as we're the specifics of the cases. They said that while it could be coincidental, it requires study. However, they said that you still have a better chance right now of getting a bad case of covid than you do of getting dangerous blood clots from the A-Z vaccine, so they don't think countries who are relying on A-Z should withdraw it and risk prolonging the pandemic.

There was a deep dive discussion on the differences between A-Z and the other major vaccines, and I was not able to follow any of it :blush:

They also mentioned that there's been a lot of "drama" around the A-Z trial and rollout and while they're convinced the A-Z vaccine is a good vaccine, it's a shame A-Z has made such a mess of the whole thing.

The article I read said that the blood clot reaction was similar to a rare reaction one might get with other drugs, specifically heparin, and it is similar to a rare auto immune response. Of course if you are taking one of the drugs that also rarely causes this reaction (like heparin I guess) you would weigh the risks against the benefits of the drug for whatever problem you are treating.
    The problem with the vaccine causing the same reaction is that you are giving it to young healthy people who are not ill yet and may never be - so the risk assessment gets a little more tricky. That's the summary I read about it anyway - I guess we will see what Canada decides on it. I agree though they did make a mess of it - I don't know if the Astra Zeneca vaccine will ever be well accepted here now.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    @33gail33 Interesting,thanks. I still think if my turn came up and it was A-Z I'd take it, but I'm not judging anyone for being hesitant until more is known. Easy for me to say of course, as A-Z isn't even an option here in the US. I hope they figure it out.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

Well i hope that isnt the case in Australia - people refusing AZ.

since AZ is the vaccine everyone beyond phase1a will be getting.

There are only 2 vaccines here - pfizer which is being adminstered via hospital hubs to frontline health workers, staff and residents of Aged care/disability homes and quarantine and airport workers - that is phase1a criteria.

Everyone else, in stages, will be getting AZ - we are now on stage1b - which included me in "other health workers"
    as well as all people over 70, aboriginal people over 55 and younger people with specific high risk medical conditions

had mine yesterday morning - about 30 hours ago now.

Sore arm, and felt very tired today (the tiredness might be coincidence as have had very hectic week)
    No other issues.

As mentioned previously I had mine yesterdy too, by the time I went to bed my arm was sore and was quite sore this morning, as the day progressed most of the soreness has worn off. No other side effects so far.

Today I visited a friend who is nurse who had her first pfizer shot a couple of weeks ago, she showed me a pic she took of her arm after a few days. The area was quite imflammed, swollen and she said it was extremely itchy, all good now.
  • 33gail33
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @33gail33 Interesting,thanks. I still think if my turn came up and it was A-Z I'd take it, but I'm not judging anyone for being hesitant until more is known. Easy for me to say of course, as A-Z isn't even an option here in the US. I hope they figure it out.

From a public health perspective it is a no brainer - even if 1 in 25,000 or 1 in 100,000 (I have seen two different estimates) have a rare reaction, and even die, you are probably still benefiting more people by giving it to everyone.
    But for the person who has the rare reaction it sucks for them because they may never have even got Covid to begin with, or could have potentially got a mild case. Thus the dilemma I guess.
    Although if the vaccine causes this reaction in an individual I wonder if that means that individual would be more susceptible to a severe reaction to a natural Covid infection? I don't know enough to speculate about that.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2021
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Just something that happened yesterday to me unusual during my workout. Don't know if it had anything to do with the shot on Friday or not, but I push my workouts pretty hard (I do cardio 6 days a week for around an hour a day).

Did a 1K (machine) row TT (timed test). I know it's an odd thing to do -- my version of pushing hard on the treadmill but the treadmill is a rower instead. I was feeling a bit off yesterday AM, but it's not that unusual for me to push hard when I'm not feeling 100%. This is the rowing machine equivalent of an 800m all out run. I did a warmup as well (1000 meters, around five minutes). I do this type of stuff often, two times a week, so this isn't anything out of the ordinary. I often do 500m X 8 (half the distance, a little less hard, but 8 reps) once or twice a month. Usually my HR drops like a rock during recovery, which is a good sign.

Yesterday was different. HR stayed high, had a nasty cough and felt like garbage. Maybe the coughing had a lot to do with the HR not dropping, but it took like 10 minutes for the HR to drop back to normal from significantly elevated. Perhaps the shot along with allergens in the air and just a bit of a warmer day. Felt like exercise induced asthma that lasted for hours, severe for around 30 to 40 minutes. I've had exercise induced asthma years ago in my youth, when I was in way worse aerobic shape than I am now, but nothing like this in the last 10 years, so I felt the timing to be odd.

I can't seem to find any advice except for "exercise as normal" related to the vaccines. Maybe just a one off day for me. Who knows. In general, it's not a great idea to push hard unless you feel 100%, so certainly partly my fault, but I certainly won't be pushing my HR past 90% max again until I'm feeling 100% from this round or the second Pfizer shot.

Asthma is frequently an autoimmune issue, so maybe your immune system, being triggered after the vax, then flared up with a bit of your old exercise-induced asthma? When I got COVID last March, I developed some pretty nasty, progressively worse asthma in the weeks and months after. Never needed an inhaler before COVID, but now I have two, even a full year later. It took about 9 months to get my running pace back to something near normal. I'm also the type who works out vigorously most days of the week. I wonder if you would have developed full blown asthma like I did, if you'd had COVID. At least now you're vaxxed, so you probably won't have to find out! :D

That makes sense. I don't know, but it's the only time I've ever taken a baby aspirin after a workout and thought, this might be what a heart attack feels like! But no tightness in chest and no pain, other than not being able to breath well and the wind pipe feeling like it was constricting. Super slow day today and feeling much better.

I big part of the reason I moved to AZ from Ohio was, of all things, I was allergic to fresh cut grass. I started to go anaphylactic a couple of times there mowing the lawn. It is indeed scary when you suddenly can't breath. There's also a ton of pollen out right now in Tucson. We have these little yellow weeds that are all over. Brittlebush is the nickname for it. This is pretty much similar to the hill behind my house right now.

https://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/shrub/encfar/all.html

I'm glad you're getting back to your normal paces again. That's frustrating to work that hard and have a huge setback.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Mike - in Arizona you have a lot of olive trees and mulberry trees that trigger bad allergies in a lot of people. At one point it was illegal to plant them, but that probably depended on where you lived. (I was in Tucson at the time.)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Mike - in Arizona you have a lot of olive trees and mulberry trees that trigger bad allergies in a lot of people. At one point it was illegal to plant them, but that probably depended on where you lived. (I was in Tucson at the time.)

I get that and knew that when I moved here. Just felt like something I've likely done 50 to 60 times since I moved here, that never bothered me before (I mean not at all), that the timing of this happening so severe did concern me. To me, I'll listen more to my body, despite the docs saying "go ahead as usual with exercise" after your shots.