Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Coronavirus prep

1558559561563564658

Replies

  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 961 Member Member Posts: 961 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Was just reading that the Vancouver Canucks have 15 players and 2 coaches out on covid protocol, many actually testing positive (not just close contact), more than one described as very sick, and the cases have been confirmed to the Brazilian variant which is spiking in Vancouver. They're not sure they'll be able to finish the season :anguished:

    As a huge hockey fan I've been enjoying watching the games, but I've been uneasy the whole time that they're playing at all. It just takes one asymptomatic case to get into the building.

    Yeah I am a basketball fan and it hit the Toronto Raptors too - they had players and coaches out for two weeks. A couple of them were very sick as well. Tanked their season. (They are playing in Florida though because of the border restrictions.)
  • threewinsthreewins Member Posts: 888 Member Member Posts: 888 Member
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    If you want to spend the time and money, come over to New Zealand and get the Pfizer. The Prime Minister has stated that people in the country illegally are welcome to get vaccinated so I don't see why tourists can't either. You have pretty much the whole year to organise it.
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 7,061 Member Member Posts: 7,061 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.
  • paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 7,061 Member Member Posts: 7,061 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    If you want to spend the time and money, come over to New Zealand and get the Pfizer. The Prime Minister has stated that people in the country illegally are welcome to get vaccinated so I don't see why tourists can't either. You have pretty much the whole year to organise it.


    Are NZ to Australia borders open?

    Me personally, - No,too late, already had first dose of AZ

    (yes in Australia too , the vaccine is open to everyone who meets the criteria - Australian resident or not)


  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 961 Member Member Posts: 961 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.
    edited April 4
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 961 Member Member Posts: 961 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.

    Canada pre-ordered enough doses of various vaccines to inoculate our population many times over. While right now we don’t have an option, certain ones are available to certain groups, I suspect that if someone refuses AZ that at some point in time they will be able to get something else. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the impression I got. And people here are refusing AZ so if the government wants everyone vaccinated they are gonna have to give them something else eventually.
    We have 4 approved right now - delivery is only consistent with Pfizer and AZ at the moment.
  • kimny72kimny72 Member Posts: 15,943 Member Member Posts: 15,943 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I wouldn't be booking anything overseas anywhere for now. There is no guarantee Aussies will be allowed into NZ anytime soon. Only time will tell. Could be a long time yet.

    Also I find it crazy sports people are playing still if they aren't 100% sure they don't have Covid. Really. Dumb. Who are the nut jobs in charge that are allowing it to happen without properly testing everyone? Guess money is more important than a couple of weeks off beforehand to make sure everyone is safe. I feel sorry for their families more than anything since they'll be catching it off the players.

    Players are supposed to be self-quarantining with their families when not with the team, and are tested I believe every time they show up at practice facilities or the rink. But the tests take several hours and meanwhile the player is with the team. But yeah, it's ridiculous to think hundreds of young men are going to behave perfectly and not take any risks. I think they all accepted that there would be some spread during the season. There have been a couple of minor outbreaks, but I think this one is worse because of the variant. The first to test positive was asymptomatic but was already participating in practice when the positive test came back, and it's snowballed from there.

    I don't remember if the NHL planned a bubble for the playoffs or not, but it would be a good idea.
  • hiparihipari Member, Premium Posts: 1,263 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,263 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.

    Canada pre-ordered enough doses of various vaccines to inoculate our population many times over. While right now we don’t have an option, certain ones are available to certain groups, I suspect that if someone refuses AZ that at some point in time they will be able to get something else. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the impression I got. And people here are refusing AZ so if the government wants everyone vaccinated they are gonna have to give them something else eventually.
    We have 4 approved right now - delivery is only consistent with Pfizer and AZ at the moment.

    We’re in the same boat regarding consistent deliveries, then, and also the amount of pre-ordered doses being significantly higher than what’s needed to cover the population. I’m really hoping we’ll start getting consistent J&J deliveries in April to boost vaccinating younger populations with Pfizer and J&J while continuing AZ for older population without the blood clot risks.
  • ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,921 Member Member Posts: 3,921 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.

    Canada pre-ordered enough doses of various vaccines to inoculate our population many times over. While right now we don’t have an option, certain ones are available to certain groups, I suspect that if someone refuses AZ that at some point in time they will be able to get something else. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the impression I got. And people here are refusing AZ so if the government wants everyone vaccinated they are gonna have to give them something else eventually.
    We have 4 approved right now - delivery is only consistent with Pfizer and AZ at the moment.

    Locally we have two vaccination sites, one for the public and one for occupational groups. I believe both are administering Pfizer. We did get some supply of Moderna but that went out to remote areas due to storage restrictions with the Pfizer one.

    Very recently, four pharmacies have started taking appointment bookings for 55+ with the A-Z. Although I am eligible in that age category, I am choosing not to book an appointment. I'll wait until the public health site opens appointments for a group that I qualify in, either by occupation or by age. I prefer 0 risk to even very very low risk.

    I find it interesting that I wouldn't even be considered for the A-Z in Finland since I'm under 65.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 961 Member Member Posts: 961 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.

    From Finland point of view: Moderna and Johnson&Johnson apparently medically approved, but Moderna (approved in January) availability issues are so severe that Helsinki and nearby cities don’t even list it as something they are using, they only mention Pfizer and AZ. I don’t think any other vaccine options are medically approved yet. Latest news about Johnson&Johnson (approved mid-March) say deliveries might start in April.

    The one thing medical officers are adamant about is that absolutely zero corners are cut when considering medical approvals, even if they’re done at an accelerated pace. So, to answer your argument: the government absolutely will say ”this is all we have” if Pfizer and AZ are the only medically approved vaccines we can get due to availability issues. The fact that Moderna technically exists and is approved doesn’t really help any public health official or any citizen or make it available when there’s not enough production/logistics and nobody is delivering it to the country no matter what is ordered (2 million doses). Same with Johnson&Johnson, even though it wasn’t approved until a couple of weeks ago and I think we’re still within a reasonable window between approval and delivery.

    Canada pre-ordered enough doses of various vaccines to inoculate our population many times over. While right now we don’t have an option, certain ones are available to certain groups, I suspect that if someone refuses AZ that at some point in time they will be able to get something else. Maybe I’m wrong but that is the impression I got. And people here are refusing AZ so if the government wants everyone vaccinated they are gonna have to give them something else eventually.
    We have 4 approved right now - delivery is only consistent with Pfizer and AZ at the moment.

    Locally we have two vaccination sites, one for the public and one for occupational groups. I believe both are administering Pfizer. We did get some supply of Moderna but that went out to remote areas due to storage restrictions with the Pfizer one.

    Very recently, four pharmacies have started taking appointment bookings for 55+ with the A-Z. Although I am eligible in that age category, I am choosing not to book an appointment. I'll wait until the public health site opens appointments for a group that I qualify in, either by occupation or by age. I prefer 0 risk to even very very low risk.

    I find it interesting that I wouldn't even be considered for the A-Z in Finland since I'm under 65.

    Yeah a lot of countries are using 60 as a cut off I was wondering about that too. I am 55 - I’ve already had Pfizer but if I didn’t I’d be right on the cut off for AZ which isn’t super reassuring.
    edited April 4
  • SummerSkierSummerSkier Member, Premium Posts: 2,753 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,753 Member
    So I saw something interesting today. I have been waiting to get some of my annual procedures done until my vaccines are complete so I had my mammogram scheduled along with an ultrasound of my thyroid for about 3 weeks after my 2nd Pfizer jab. Now I am reading that I might want to delay the mammogram as it is possible my lymph nodes might be swollen for up to 6-8 weeks after the second shot causing false issues with the scans. I am still on the fence as to whether I will reschedule or not and will most likely wait to see how symptomatic the 2nd shot is for me. The other option was to make sure to tell them when you get the mammogram that you recently had the injection and into which arm so they could take that into account if there were swollen lymph nodes.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 961 Member Member Posts: 961 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.


    The reason Pfizer is only being given through hospital hubs to phase1a criteria people is because of the storage requirements of minus 70 degrees

    So, No, I don't think it will become available for more people - since the vast majority of the population will be vaccinated at Dr's surgeries or pharmacies - therefore with AZ which has normal vaccine storage requirements - ie such places with pre existing storage and management of other vaccines can run it

    It is possible other brands will be available down the track, who knows - but there is no suggestion of that now and as the situation stands and is likely to stand for the foreseeable future, people do not have the option of choosing another brand or waiting for another brand.

    They have actually updated the Pfizer storage recommendations quite a while ago. It can be stored at normal freezer temperatures for up to 2 weeks. I had mine administered at a mass clinic (in a hockey rink). 🤷‍♀️

    I wouldn’t and didn’t suggest that people have the option of choosing another brand *right now* obviously if one isn’t available - they have the option of refusing what they are offered and WAITING for another option to potentially become available at a later date.

    I can’t imagine our government telling someone if they refuse one vaccine they lose their chance to ever get another one - but if you say that is what will happen there I’ll have to take your word for it. Glad I don’t live there.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 961 Member Member Posts: 961 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.


    The reason Pfizer is only being given through hospital hubs to phase1a criteria people is because of the storage requirements of minus 70 degrees

    So, No, I don't think it will become available for more people - since the vast majority of the population will be vaccinated at Dr's surgeries or pharmacies - therefore with AZ which has normal vaccine storage requirements - ie such places with pre existing storage and management of other vaccines can run it

    It is possible other brands will be available down the track, who knows - but there is no suggestion of that now and as the situation stands and is likely to stand for the foreseeable future, people do not have the option of choosing another brand or waiting for another brand.

    They have actually updated the Pfizer storage recommendations quite a while ago. It can be stored at normal freezer temperatures for up to 2 weeks. I had mine administered at a mass clinic (in a hockey rink). 🤷‍♀️

    I wouldn’t and didn’t suggest that people have the option of choosing another brand *right now* obviously if one isn’t available - they have the option of refusing what they are offered and WAITING for another option to potentially become available at a later date.

    I can’t imagine our government telling someone if they refuse one vaccine they lose their chance to ever get another one - but if you say that is what will happen there I’ll have to take your word for it. Glad I don’t live there.


    Most vaccine providers - the Dr's surgery where I work for example - do not have medical specific freezers, normal freezer temp or not.
    Hospitals would - because they would use freezers used for blood products like frozen plasma.

    We do have vaccine specific fridges and tight cold chain protocol already - for all the other vaccines we already give. and AZ just gets included in that existing system.

    There is absolutely no suggestion in Australia that Pfizer will be given outside of hospital hubs.

    Sure, people could wait and see if another brand becomes available to them down the track - and perhaps it will, who knows.

    But that is not the situation now nor likely to be in forseeable future - so hopefully most people will not take that stance,or vaccinating the population will be very slow.

    (they certainly are not atm, we have waiting lists of people and vaccine appt's filling as fast as we get vaccine supply.)

    No I did not say the govt is telling anyone if the refuse one vaccine they lose their chance to ever have another one (if they change their mind or another one later becomes available) - how on earth did you get that from what I posted??? :*

    Well you said “people do not have the option of choosing another brand or waiting for another brand” so not sure what else I was supposed to infer from that?

    And yeah when Pfizer first came here they only did it in hospitals too, but people lost their *kitten* about how inefficient that was (for example low risk hospital clerical staff getting it before long term care residents because of “transport and storage” issues) so they quickly got their act together and figured out how to get it out in the community. It obviously can be done my Mom had Pfizer at her retirement home, and I had mine at a mass clinic that was set up in a hockey rink/community centre.
    edited April 5
  • ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,921 Member Member Posts: 3,921 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    The other issue is that it isn’t the only vaccine available - so if there is a safer one then I wouldn’t blame someone who wanted to wait a little longer to get that one.

    Not the case everywhere.

    In Australia there are only 2 brands - Pfizer and AZ..

    Pfizer is only available through hospital hubs for people in phase1a criteria - residents and staff of aged care and disability homes, front line health workers, quarantine hotel and airport workers

    Everyone else will be getting AZ - currently on phase1b- people over 70, aboriginal people over 55, other health workers, people with specific high risk medical conditions.

    Just because Australia is choosing not to use them doesn’t mean they are not available. There are other vaccines available for purchase/use was my point.
    I’m pretty sure if the AZ vaccine was no longer available for use the Australian government would source one of the other ones.


    Well they are not available to the Australian people - post I was responding to suggested people could wait and get a different brand as AZ isnt only one available.


    Whereas to most of the Australian public, yes it is.

    At this moment in time. You said you have Pfizer there I would think that after the initial rush is over stocks will increase and be available to more people.
    I would doubt that if the rest of the world deems AZ unsafe in certain populations the Australian govt wouldn’t offer something else to it’s citizens that need it.
    So I was also commenting from a government policy perspective - it would be hard for a govt to say “this is all we have” and have the public accept that, when there are (potentially) better and safer options available.


    The reason Pfizer is only being given through hospital hubs to phase1a criteria people is because of the storage requirements of minus 70 degrees

    So, No, I don't think it will become available for more people - since the vast majority of the population will be vaccinated at Dr's surgeries or pharmacies - therefore with AZ which has normal vaccine storage requirements - ie such places with pre existing storage and management of other vaccines can run it

    It is possible other brands will be available down the track, who knows - but there is no suggestion of that now and as the situation stands and is likely to stand for the foreseeable future, people do not have the option of choosing another brand or waiting for another brand.

    They have actually updated the Pfizer storage recommendations quite a while ago. It can be stored at normal freezer temperatures for up to 2 weeks. I had mine administered at a mass clinic (in a hockey rink). 🤷‍♀️

    I wouldn’t and didn’t suggest that people have the option of choosing another brand *right now* obviously if one isn’t available - they have the option of refusing what they are offered and WAITING for another option to potentially become available at a later date.

    I can’t imagine our government telling someone if they refuse one vaccine they lose their chance to ever get another one - but if you say that is what will happen there I’ll have to take your word for it. Glad I don’t live there.


    Most vaccine providers - the Dr's surgery where I work for example - do not have medical specific freezers, normal freezer temp or not.
    Hospitals would - because they would use freezers used for blood products like frozen plasma.

    We do have vaccine specific fridges and tight cold chain protocol already - for all the other vaccines we already give. and AZ just gets included in that existing system.

    There is absolutely no suggestion in Australia that Pfizer will be given outside of hospital hubs.

    Sure, people could wait and see if another brand becomes available to them down the track - and perhaps it will, who knows.

    But that is not the situation now nor likely to be in forseeable future - so hopefully most people will not take that stance,or vaccinating the population will be very slow.

    (they certainly are not atm, we have waiting lists of people and vaccine appt's filling as fast as we get vaccine supply.)

    No I did not say the govt is telling anyone if the refuse one vaccine they lose their chance to ever have another one (if they change their mind or another one later becomes available) - how on earth did you get that from what I posted??? :*

    And yeah when Pfizer first came here they only did it in hospitals too, but people lost their *kitten* about how inefficient that was (for example low risk hospital clerical staff getting it before long term care residents because of “transport and storage” issues) so they quickly got their act together and figured out how to get it out in the community. It obviously can be done my Mom had Pfizer at her retirement home, and I had mine at a mass clinic that was set up in a hockey rink/community centre.

    Yes, here the public health folks are now administering Pfizer at the teachers' college on the university campus, and at a large building on the agricultural fairgrounds that is normally used for trade shows and big wedding receptions.
Sign In or Register to comment.