Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited April 2021
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Who here (besides me) bought a pulse oximeter because of COVID?

when myself and a family member both had covid, it was comforting to check my oxygen levels while recovering at home.

I bought one for ourselves and had one delivered to both grown children and some other family members. Article in the local news about a healthy 32 year old dying in our community when her levels got too low before seeking medical attention.

My wife and I both had Covid and used it, but we never got a reading outside the normal range.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    In a related question to the pulse oximeter (which my Apple watch has one and sometimes it is accurate LOL). How many folks do NOT have a thermometer? I am constantly astounded to hear friends tell me when I ask if they are running a fever that they do not have one......I will admit that without children prior to having the flu in early 2018, I only had a couple old ones which the batteries were dead on, but with Covid, I have at least 1 which runs mechanically (not mercury but another chemical which is just as difficult to read) and 2 which are digital.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    In a related question to the pulse oximeter (which my Apple watch has one and sometimes it is accurate LOL). How many folks do NOT have a thermometer? I am constantly astounded to hear friends tell me when I ask if they are running a fever that they do not have one......I will admit that without children prior to having the flu in early 2018, I only had a couple old ones which the batteries were dead on, but with Covid, I have at least 1 which runs mechanically (not mercury but another chemical which is just as difficult to read) and 2 which are digital.

I think it is way more common to have one if you have kids.

I had an old, nearly dead digital one that I hadn't used in a while...it got some use early on in the pandemic, when I was paranoid and taking my temperature every day.

I just replaced it with a new digital one, and put it to good use! Got to tell the CDC survey exactly how high my fever was after my second vaccine dose!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member

when myself and a family member both had covid, it was comforting to check my oxygen levels while recovering at home.

I did too. I read that people were going to the ER way too late because they didn't realize that their oxygen levels were dangerously low, so I ordered one.
  • 33gail33
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My SIL texted me that her neighbor had gone to the health dept vaccine clinic nearby for her appt and heard they had a couple of hundred extra J&J shots that they were accepting walk ins for. I put on some real pants and ran down there and within 15 minutes I was vaccinated.

I am on their mailing list and follow them on FB, and there were no emails or posts advertising it. And there were folks there, but no line. I'm so grateful I found out about it, but no idea why they weren't pulling names off the state list and texting people.

So I ran a bit of a fever last night and felt generally achy. I woke up this morning and the fever is gone for now, but the news said the FDA is suggesting the US halt J&J because it's also seeing rare cases of this blood clot disorder. Oh boy :neutral:

Nate Silver has a valid point if you follow him on Twitter. Basically pointing out that the number of deaths prevented by going forward with the vaccine far outweighs the number of deaths from this blood clot issue. He is right.

From a public health perspective it makes sense, even if 1/1000 people died from the vaccine, the other 999 would be protected from COVID death. But do I want to be that one person who sacrifices myself for the cause? Not really.

I think the main issue here is that we have other vaccines available that don't *seem* to have the same reaction. So is it really ethical to continue using vaccines that do cause this reaction?

As paperpudding suggested that probably depends on how bad the outbreak is in a given place. In Australia it would seem that they could safely wait without too much death and destruction happening. Here in Ontario cases are out of control and our hospitals are getting overwhelmed, so might not be the best idea to wait.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    All our thermometers broke, batteries corroded, otherwise not functional. We might have one, but I'm honestly unsure. We too bought a pulse oximeter that I find comforting to use occasionally even having NOT had covid :D Also had adult offspring buy them.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

I did get a pulse oximeter, and around the same time I also got a thermometer. I'd not had one pre-covid (no kids, so I never really had a need), and I realized that I wouldn't know if I were running a fever (or even what my normal temp was). At first it was hard to find one, so I suspect there was a run on them, but I eventually acquired one.
  • 33gail33
    Just heard on the news that Canada had it's first case of vaccine induced blood clot. They also said the woman is "recovering at home" - so that is encouraging. Now that they are aware of it I guess they can be on the lookout and treat it promptly when it happens.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Just heard on the news that Canada had it's first case of vaccine induced blood clot. They also said the woman is "recovering at home" - so that is encouraging. Now that they are aware of it I guess they can be on the lookout and treat it promptly when it happens.

They're not releasing her age, dammit. Although we know she's over 55....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

I bought one!

In the beginning I was terrified of being contagious but not symptomatic and killing my mother. Getting a pulse oximeter reading before visiting her helped with that.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

I thought I had a working thermometer but it turns out I was wrong. I tossed it and have yet to replace it. I'd have one if I had children.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

We have one, but I have only used it to check due to covid.

You don't know when you have a fever? With kids you can tell by looking and gauging behavior, let alone feeling their forehead. Their cheeks get flushed, they have thin skin and it shows almost instantly when they have an elevated temperature. May not work with older kids though, they don't have that same thin baby/little kid skin.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member

We have one, but I have only used it to check due to covid.

You don't know when you have a fever? With kids you can tell by looking and gauging behavior, let alone feeling their forehead. Their cheeks get flushed, they have thin skin and it shows almost instantly when they have an elevated temperature. May not work with older kids though, they don't have that same thin baby/little kid skin.

When I was a kid, I never felt sick when I had fever, and my fevers were always high (40-41C). I remember being shocked the first time I actually felt sick and tired as a pre-teen. My mom was a little worried too, since she was used to bribing me with cartoon marathons just so I would sit still and rest when I was sick.

As an adult, my natural temperature is about 1C lower than ”normal”, so others can’t recognize a slight fever by checking my forehead as my fever is their normal. I also needed a thermometer when I worked at a grocery store and running even a slight fever at work was an absolute no-no, so checking at home every time I felt even a little bit sick was a must.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

I had a pulse oximeter long before Covid. Last month, I moved and somehow misplaced my accurate thermometer. I question the accuracy of my backup after I've seen some of the recent results. These are both digital, but not fancy at all (they are just rectal thermometers... which should be a more accurate method, so question is the device).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member

Me. I dont have one.

(nor a pulse oxometer either)