May 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Thanks @rheddmobile and @polskagirl.

Maybe to start we get some ideas of what people would want to do, and go from there. I agree the worldwide marathon was a challenge! And I can see a lot of issues with trying to say everyone run bwtween 9am - 11am GMT or something like that - though it sounds fun!

I had thought of keeping it really simple, set up a give a little or everyday hero page to a specific charity, probably an American running related charity, and people can sign up, contribute what ever they want (if they want to contribute, no one has to, that's important).

Or another idea is a month long bingo type challenge. So we make up a bingo card with several options, people check off their bingo card, and when they have completed it, they get the certificate.

Challenges can include run in a tutu, find a dog on your run, say what motivated you for this run etc. Can post in a seperate forum post dedicated to it, or our private FB page.

Commenting on this as I read it so I don't lose it or run out of time.
    I think it's an awesome idea and I'm in, whatever gets decided on.
    One suggestion though, if possible I would ask PV's wife and son about the charity.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    That's brilliant @quilteryoyo! Good luck with your half marathon training.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    So great to hear you are cleared to run @skippygirlsmom

@ContraryMaryMary doing speedwork after a couple years of regular HM running kicked me hard in the core at first too and made me rethink a bit about how I was focusing on endurance at the expense of strength. In the end though you have a heck of a head start from all that long distance training so you'll get there faster than you think. :wink:

Nice cardio work @SummerSkier!

@quilteryoyo you can definitely do that HM!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I think your plans with that trail group sound really exciting!

Good to hear you are starting to feel a bit better @rheddmobile and are back at things. Sounds like a really rough bug you caught!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited May 2021
    exercise.png

Also have walked a total of 5 miles.

Did my first run of the month on the treadmill this morning. I walked one mile and ran a fast finish run - ran 5min @ 4.2 mph, 10min @ 4.5 mph, 6:14 min @ 5.0 mph. Total of 2 miles in 26:14 minutes. Fairly easy run. No walk breaks.

It took me a little bit longer to start this session than I anticipated. See below if you aren't afraid of critters than can get in your house.
    I saw something at the bottom of the stairs that I thought was a big bug. Nope. It was this.
    1uu8xfqb5xs6.jpg
    Tiny, itty, bitty mouse.

Upon further inspections there were three of these little critters down there. I swooped them up in a bucket and took them to the bottom of the driveway later and turned them loose.
    snner2ru2mat.jpg

I saw another, I thought, but it turned out to be a corn snake!
    cax97otrfdbp.jpg
    The odd thing about it was that it was dead. Stiff as a board. But, still coiled up and off of the floor. It was almost as if it had been freeze dried in mid movement. So very strange.

It was also very strange that I found these 4 critters down there at the same time when I was just down there on Saturday, I think. All very odd. I'm just glad I found them and got rid of them. I do not like snakes and really think I dislike mice even more. I searched and didn't find a mouse nest or any signs of a mouse anywhere. I hope that was all of them.

Mice and snakes -- my two favorite critters. Finding a spider would have made it 3 for 3.