Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Ab energiser belt that promises to melt away belly fat. You just have to wrap it around your waist for 15-20 minutes and do nothing .
    I was dumb enough to believe that *kitten* And purchase it when I was 15-16 and didn't have much fat on my body :|
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    That 30 minutes of exercising 4 times a week is gonna be where the weight comes off. It’s in being active and staying in a caloric deficit. Step goals are more realistic.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    "Go hard or go home"...the notion that exercise has to be some kind of sufferfest to be beneficial and if you're not ready to puke when you're done, you might as well have done nothing at all.

I do think that having some more vigorous efforts thrown into the mix is beneficial from a health and fitness standpoint...but IMO, unless you're specifically training for something, an overall active lifestyle is where it's at. And if you are training specifically for something, I would also think one would know how to train and would know that every training bout shouldn't be some crazy workout.

Most of the very fit and healthy people I know do "workout" some...but by and large, they are just active and enjoy being out on their bikes or hiking or rock climbing, kayaking, walking, going for a jog, etc.

This is so true. All of it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Protein is the only nutrient a person should pay attention to.
    Protein quality (in terms of essential amino acid composition) is unimportant.
    There's no need to pay attention to protein quantity when eating WFPB, because plants are just *that* healthful.

Yes, the whole "Have you ever heard of someone being hospitalized for protein deficiency? If you eat enough, you'll automatically get enough protein" argument drives me up the wall.

There's a whole range of outcomes between "thriving" and "hospitalized for deficiency" that the argument ignores. You can absolutely be missing out on stuff and still never get to the level where you require hospital care.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    There's no need to pay attention to protein quantity when eating WFPB, because plants are just *that* healthful.

Yes, the whole "Have you ever heard of someone being hospitalized for protein deficiency? If you eat enough, you'll automatically get enough protein" argument drives me up the wall.

There's a whole range of outcomes between "thriving" and "hospitalized for deficiency" that the argument ignores. You can absolutely be missing out on stuff and still never get to the level where you require hospital care.

Absolutely. When I first joined MFP and began logging to track sodium, I was a bit alarmed to see I was only consuming an average of 20 g protein a day. Although technically pescetarian, I lean heavily vegetarian when I cook for myself, fish and seafood was mainly confined to meals eaten out. I'd eaten high carb and low protein for decades at that point, you can imagine how little muscle I was carrying!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Absolutely. When I first joined MFP and began logging to track sodium, I was a bit alarmed to see I was only consuming an average of 20 g protein a day. Although technically pescetarian, I lean heavily vegetarian when I cook for myself, fish and seafood was mainly confined to meals eaten out. I'd eaten high carb and low protein for decades at that point, you can imagine how little muscle I was carrying!

Yeah, that was one of the first trends I noticed when I started logging. When I ate more overall (AKA, enough to be overweight), I didn't really have a problem getting enough protein . . . because I was eating a lot of everything. But once I cut calories, I absolutely had to learn how to eat in a way that made sure I was getting enough.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,186 Member
    Options
    Yes Ann -- for sure, but you won't make much money trying to sell sane ideas that conform to the laws of thermodynamics.

Pass the lemon water.

Hey wait! If I squeeze a lime into a Tecate, does the lime counteract the beer calories? Of course! If I squeeze a lemon into that big bowl of melted butter I was going to dip something in, that makes the butter calories disappear. Oh. Wait! Lemon ice cream!

One that I don't like is "No pain, no gain." Of course that depends what is meant by "pain." Surely some things that cause discomfort in the moment can provide a physical benefit. But if it hurts, you're doing it wrong or you're doing it too intensely. I say, "No pain, no PAIN."
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,186 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    The "no proper level of stress, no gain" phrase just didn't catch on for some reason.

I think I'm going to start using that. I'm used to seeing people shake their head at me anyway....