Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pfizer for teens?

Replies

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I agree, thank you!!!
  • NVintage
    Yes, because by May 19th I've experienced this side effect that is explained well in this article.
    NVintage wrote: »
    Sorry to you all who think TMI!!!! but this isn't misinformation...I have always been very regular, predictable and so I know for sure this is a side effect. :/So until I know for sure, why, I'm holding out a little longer before making my daughter's appt...
    https://whowhatwhy.org/2021/05/15/how-the-moderna-vaccine-got-us-talking-about-periods/

• NVintage
    I think it would be more helpful to find science debunking the topic I brought up, instead of attempting psychology. Thank you, though, for the attempt. haha
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I agree, thank you!!!

May 17: "I'm still hesitant about it without any good reason to be.."

May 19: "I have always been very regular, predictable and so I know for sure this is a side effect."

You looked until you found a “good reason”. This is - literally - the definition of confirmation bias.

“Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.”

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2021
    I agree, thank you!!!

May 19: "I have always been very regular, predictable and so I know for sure this is a side effect."

You looked until you found a “good reason”. This is - literally - the definition of confirmation bias.

“Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.”
    I think that is essentially human nature, we all have that tendency in some way or another don’t we? I can see that in spousal arguments, teenagers making their case about something (recalling a prior conversation months ago “but you saaaiiiid...!”). Even studies that are funded by a party that has a specific interest... those data points and numbers can often times be molded to their desires which is why many people are now leery of information, even when presented statistics.

ETA: It can also go both ways, people ignoring information so that their view point can stand strong. Those that are all in for the vaccine can easily cite the positives and gloss over potential side effects... those that are leery of it will use that same information to show why they are against it - cite the side effects and gloss over potential positives. Same information given to two different people, two different emotional reactions, two different end responses.
  • NVintage
    edited May 2021

I agree, thank you!!!

o0n3wjvqy7ii.png
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,707 Member
    o0n3wjvqy7ii.png

I think it would be more helpful to find science debunking the topic I brought up, instead of attempting psychology. Thank you, though, for the attempt. haha
    I agree, thank you!!!

The pandemic in general is impacting menstrual cycles.

"441/46% reported a change in their menstrual cycle since the beginning of the pandemic. 483/53% reported worsening premenstrual symptoms, 100/18% reported new menorrhagia (p = 0.003) and 173/30% new dysmenorrhea (p < 0.0001) compared to before the pandemic. 72/9% reported missed periods who not previously missed periods (p = 0.003) and the median number of missed periods was 2 (1–3)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8030584/

Looks like stress is the major factor of concern in that study.
    And as far as the study design, asking participants to recall what happened over a long time isn't the best way to get data, as they may forget details or misjudge severity.
  • NVintage
    That is interesting! I haven't heard of that before. She actually doesn't eat cheese anyway, haha! If she did I probably wouldn't mess with that as long as it was in moderation.
    The more I read about that crazy side effect, the more I think it is the immune system and stress-not anxiety stress-but the stress that your body is in while recuperating. I bet there were a lot more than 37 women, and that it is under-reported...It probably happens with other vaccines, too.
    I think two of the best things you can do for teens is to provide a healthy diet and a low stress environment for them to live!
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So apparently if I'm understanding this right, the immune response can cause estrogen levels to rise. So I probably wouldn't worry for a son or if my daughter were a little older, but she is about a year away from starting menstruation and I worry about giving her something that alters her hormone levels, right now. I'll keep looking into it, though, and might reevaluate if we have an outbreak this Autumn or if a new variant looks more dangerous for kids. Right now, there's not high risk for contracting it in our area. I am still glad to have gotten it myself, but wish that particular side effect was listed with the others...
    Here is an interesting video talking about estrogen and Covid(from 9 months ago)
    [snipped video link]

You know what else increases estrogen? Saturated fat. I learned this in December and since then have drastically reduced my fat and sat fat consumption and my periods are lighter. (I also increased fiber.) This month my period was 48% lighter than in December.

I have an MRI Monday and I'm really curious to see if my fibroids are smaller as well. My subjective impression is that they are, and I can't wait to see what the scan says.

So take away her cheese and everything will balance out :smiley:

• NVintage
    edited May 2021
    @speakeasy76
    I'm 44, too. I am pretty sure it was the vaccine, for me, because it is so rare for that to happen with me...It was just for two days, like you said, and then normal. Weird! I am leaning toward getting my daughter vaccinated in August before school starts. I'm planning to over research til then and see how kids do with it.
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Whatever side effects one gets from a vaccine, the effects of the actual virus will be amplified even more than that. It makes more sense to fear the actual virus than the vaccine for that virus.
    Do you think that's true for kids, though? I thought most the time they just got a runny nose or something...while adults have it worse and might get pneumonia.
    ALL-
    It is a new type of vaccine technology never approved for humans until now, right? What is wrong with researching it before deciding if I think it's worth it? Statistics clearly show 18-55 year olds are the main ones spreading it and over 55 are the ones that are mostly hospitalized. I think it's more important to focus on these groups. I am glad to have t available to kids and if my daughter was in a high risk group I wouldn't hesitate.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited May 2021
    @speakeasy76
    I'm 44, too. I am pretty sure it was the vaccine, for me, because it is so rare for that to happen with me...It was just for two days, like you said, and then normal. Weird! I am leaning toward getting my daughter vaccinated in August before school starts. I'm planning to over research til then and see how kids do with it.
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Whatever side effects one gets from a vaccine, the effects of the actual virus will be amplified even more than that. It makes more sense to fear the actual virus than the vaccine for that virus.
    Do you think that's true for kids, though? I thought most the time they just got a runny nose or something...while adults have it worse and might get pneumonia.
    ALL-
    It is a new type of vaccine technology never approved for humans until now, right? What is wrong with researching it before deciding if I think it's worth it? Statistics clearly show 18-55 year olds are the main ones spreading it and over 55 are the ones that are mostly hospitalized. I think it's more important to focus on these groups. I am glad to have t available to kids and if my daughter was in a high risk group I wouldn't hesitate.

I haven't researched this deeply, but from reports I've seen, the occurrence of even potentially severe long-haul-type side effects of Covid was *not* strongly correlated with severity of the initial disease. IOW, a mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic case could have serious long term complications. Not sure whether that aspect differs by age.

I'm not saying this to push at you, because I think it's reasonable to be concerned and want to research. I mention it simply as an aspect of the situation you might want to consider and include in the scope of that research. If I had kids, I would.