WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    It's going to be chaos here this morning. The new cleaning service is coming and I have a telehealth session so I won't be able to help them. The dog will be upset and my microphone has been unreliable. So my goal for the morning is to keep my dog from interfering and getting hurt, and whatever else happens is out of my hands.

My horseback riding will probably cancel for strong storms this afternoon. They may just pass over us, but I'm nervous.

My other issue is figuring out how to buy a copy of MS Word. Looks like I have to buy Office. This is personal use on a single device. The question is whether to get a subscription for a year, or a purchase that might go out of date soon. Hmm.

So lots going on today. May you all be happy and healthy,
    Annie in Delaware

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    It's my baby boy's 42nd birthday today! :p<3
    Here he is this week on his holiday in the Isle of Wight, going for an early morning cycle ride with DDIL.
    55z5wwntdt6r.jpg
    I love the outfits!
    We shall see them all on Sunday for an outdoor meal at Fatto a Mano. The restaurant will only seat up to 6 together indoors, although the covid laws are 2 households. Grrr! Anyway, it will be fab to meet up and hear all about their holiday. A house with 8 adults and 7 children. :o
    I have been idly looking at cycles. I would only use it for cycling along the front into town, so would like one very sedate and suitable for shopping. A wicker basket on the front and a rack on the rear. I probably won't bother as we walk everywhere.

I was wondering, Machka, with your possible commute, if you could entertain the idea of an ebike. It would help with that long hill, though, of course, it wouldn't help with the traffic!

Waitrose delivery this afternoon. DH has the dentist this morning. Our teeth keep breaking up! :laugh: He wants to take the car somewhere for a run for the battery.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I’m not Machka but I’m the other regular bike rider in the group. You can totally commute, it will make it a bit easier on any hills that you have there. All of my riding was in the city and in traffic. The job I retired from was like 13mi to work then run the last 1/2mi. That had a few hills. Just have to learn bike etiquette if you don’t know it already and get good lighting for visibility

I could commute with an ebike but ... there is the traffic situation and there's nowhere to put the bike when I get there. The bicycle parking issue is the main reason why I don't cycle to work and why I have entertained the idea of trying my folding bike.

It's ...
    1) Bike parking - what on earth do I do with my bicycle when I get there.
    2) Traffic - it just keeps getting heavier.
    3) Hills

:neutral:

The owner of our building does not like bicycles and has banned them from anywhere within the building or in the parking garage. Cyclists have been provided with some spots in the rubbish bin cage which is not very secure. There are about 10 or maybe 15 spots for a 10-storey building and about 100 people per floor. It was first come, first serve and you had to be there early. Now I think there's a pass card to get into the cage and it has been handed out to the 10 or 15 really regular cyclists.

The rest of us have been told that we can park our bicycles on the rack outside one of the hospitals a couple blocks away if the rack has space (it is one small rack and is usually full) or in one of the parking garages that actually has racks for the general public even further away. Those choices are even less secure than the rubbish cage and there's no way of knowing if there will be room.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🧡🌟🌼🏵️
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Renewal

The turning Earth reveals an awesome sight.
    The burning sphere of piercing, white-gold light,
    the universal energy sublimely rising,
    unimaginably awesome power surprising,
    in its majesty delighting
    every morning with its brightening.

(C) 2021Terri Richardson

TERRI You're poem is beautifully soothing. You are such a talented lady. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on the weight management. I need to take off the 5 pound gain I've let creep up the past few months.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    PENNY I believe I shall miss your adventures and pictures of Longyearbyen nearly as much as you will, it's been quite a thrill. Thanks too for the welcome back.

HEATHER I love your school picture.

KELLY Thanks, sweetie, for the welcome back. Your grandsons too are so sweet, they're growing way too quickly.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: You were a very cute girl back in school days. How old were you in this photo? I see your son’s grown up face in reflected in your long ago school photo. :flowerforyou:

Allie: I hope you and your group are able to enjoy a dinner out together. :smiley:

Susabella: Welcome! Congratulations on being a survivor! :star:

DH and I had dinner out last evening at a favorite Thai Restaurant that has reopened under a new name. The food is excellent and the chef & waiter are the same people as before the pandemic forced closure of many local restaurants. I am happy that they have been able to reopen. The chef, herself, checked our vaccination cards before she allowed the waiter to serve us. I suspect he may be her son.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet R

Would it be possible for you to go and stay with your husband's family while he is there? I know you miss him greatly from what you have mentioned. Just a thought! :)

Carol in GA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    JanetR - I feel somewhat abashed that, in all areas except a small amount of guilt and a bit of fear, the pandemic affected my day-to-day life very little. Pretty much only in terms of wearing a mask while I was out and getting mad at my husband because he refused to get the vaccine. I know some people lost ones they love and lost jobs... but we were not affected much at all. I'm sorry your beloved will be away for so long - I hope you'll be able to see him during that time.

So good to see you again,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 45min 17sec, 81ahr, 106mhr, 93elev, 3.06ap, 5.40mi= 530c
    Strava app = 655c
    Zwift bike trainer- on Kirbys spin bike- 43.04min, 114ahr, 129mhr, 125elev, 21.03amph, 15.1mi= 337c
    Zwift app- 373c

Total cal 867
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to GB for nail trim,
    Bonus:
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, board meeting minutes, call for refund from Interpath for Joe’s labs paid on Feb statement, call C, call S, fire district: ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Joyful June:
    3-Re-frame a worry and try to find a helpful way to think about it. Whenever I start to worry about the debilities of aging (both Joe’s and mine), instead pick up some had weights or take the dogs for a walk.

@Pamici9 be sure to join us on the June thread (https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834367/women-ages-50-for-june-2021/p1) and bookmark it.
    Janet facing Jack’s being away for 2.5+ months is worthy of tears. Glad you have the SlimCycle to burn off some of the emotion and your DG, DGD and DGGS’s visit to look forward to.
    Evelyn Brava for getting your DH out for a walk. Wish I could ;}
    Heather I love the bicycling outfits pic too! Self-loathing so completely describes me at 14. Knew it would have been better for everyone if I'd not been born. Love my life now, thanks be.
    Penny that is some impressive potato patch digging. However did you have the energy to run afterwards?
    Kris in AZ seems like we all have to advocate for our own and loved ones’ health these days. Good on you!
    Terri lovely poem.
    Welcome @krwestlund7 Kelly in WA. Now we have two Kellies ;)
    Katla “…sparkle on the water…” funny but last time T and I strolled we both commented on the sparkle on the sea. So much to be thankful for.

While I got a lot off the list yesterday, it was mostly sit down, phone and email work. Finished up the day with too much wine and WAY too many sweets. So of course the scale said .9 lbs lighter this morning. :laugh: SMH.

Caught up for now, time to get up off my butt.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: leaner/stronger/kinder than May.
    daily: sit with Joe: 3, weigh/wii: 3/0/0; steps>6362=6170, vits=2, log=1, CI<CO=44, CI<250<CO=1, Tumble=2, Shadow=3, mfp=3, outside=3, up hill=2, clean 10=2.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue: LD=1 Wed: TC=1 PW=1 Thurs: Fri: TC= Sat: PW=, rX x4=.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=1 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    New neighbor dropped by yesterday to introduce herself and propose having our lane repaired. I was favorably inclined, but Joe not so much. Later he shared his very real concern about road contractor compromising our hill and sending our house sliding down into the ravine. Suggested we have a neighborhood meeting to discuss, not just our concerns but those of the 5 other land owners. I agreed to email his idea to her, struggled to word it tactfully, not to be negative or discouraging, etc blah blah blah. When I read it to Joe he said it was just great and that “you could be a politician”. “Take it back!” I hollered ;)

I was really touched. He’s been so much more appreciative lately, always commenting on how amazed/impressed he is with my brush clearing and now complimenting my tactful writing. Back in the day when my network/desktop support job contributed the lion’s share of our family income, he said “all you do is sit around and push buttons.” I like him much better the way he is today, and am so very very grateful.

Michele safe travels!
    Lisa no wonder you’re exhausted. Praying all these tests lead not just to a diagnosis but a cure!
    Welcome @elthurston1 from Cambridge UK. Yes of course you can join!
    Ginny it was very hard for me to imagine retiring. I committed to myself to retire before our lease expired, after being on the build-out team for 3 major moves I didn’t want to do it again. That commitment, made in 2009, made it easier for me to stick with a date in 2016, despite fear, anxiety and sadness. It was just in the nick of time. Our company changed email systems, industry specific systems, then underwent a merger and subsequent change in operating and support ticket systems. Last year there was scrambling to set up work-from-home during the pandemic. I so relish having missed all of that! :laugh: What I’m trying to say is that hard as it seemed to close the door, afterwards it felt great!
    Machka 9 hrs of meetings in one day? Another thing I’m grateful not a part of my retirement :laugh:
    Barbie stunning iris!
    Susan in NY so sorry for your loss. Susabella is a lovely name and sweet memory.
    Carol hope the procedures happen quickly and accomplish what they’re supposed to so you can have the cataract surgery sooner rather than later.
    Vicki full staff? Amazing. Thought it would never happen.
    Janetr “…feeling as if I have no one to really visit with. i will rely on my dear friends here.” This is how I’ve felt since moving away from Idaho and work. Will always be thankful for the dear friends here, including you! :love: Jaxx!
    Julie so glad to hear about your visits. Hope any residual dental pain passes quickly.
    Katla Yoga, hooray! Feel the same way about T’ai Chi ;)
    Allie locking doors is a necessary security step. Keep it up!
    LisaK in VA con VERY grats on the nsv T shirts! With that percentage of body fat and that rx from that doctor… I’d get a different doctor. Just sayin’
    Welcome @xlara23 Laura in NW WA and @LifeILuvUFeelinGroovy Brandi inTX!
    Only up to pg 6 (Brandi) but have to get dressed so we can take the dogs to their nail trim appointment.

Lighter, lovelies!

That's great about Joe being more appreciative. Dental pain much reduced, thanks.