Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pfizer for teens?

Replies

• NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I agree with you with you about social media, but I really don't like how you quoted me, but edited what I actually said. Isn't that sort of like what the social media influencers do?
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    So apparently if I'm understanding this right, the immune response can cause estrogen levels to rise. So I probably wouldn't worry for a son or if my daughter were a little older, but she is about a year away from starting menstruation and I worry about giving her something that alters her hormone levels, right now. I'll keep looking into it, though, and might reevaluate if we have an outbreak this Autumn or if a new variant looks more dangerous for kids. Right now, there's not high risk for contracting it in our area. I am still glad to have gotten it myself, but wish that particular side effect was listed with the others...
    Here is an interesting video talking about estrogen and Covid(from 9 months ago)
    YouTube "doctor" deleted

Just to be clear, if anybody needs any more reasons to AVOID social media medicine... Social Media Influencers paid money to discredit Pfizer vaccine.

• NVintage
    So apparently if I'm understanding this right, the immune response can cause estrogen levels to rise. So I probably wouldn't worry for a son or if my daughter were a little older, but she is about a year away from starting menstruation and I worry about giving her something that alters her hormone levels, right now. I'll keep looking into it, though, and might reevaluate if we have an outbreak this Autumn or if a new variant looks more dangerous for kids. Right now, there's not high risk for contracting it in our area. I am still glad to have gotten it myself, but wish that particular side effect was listed with the others...
    Here is an interesting video
    https://youtu.be/AoSHkuc0hp8

YellowD0gs wrote: »
    No, but it doesn't make sense to use irrational fears to pressure people into vaccinating children any more than it does for adults to go unvaccinated if they're at higher risk for complications.
    You say others spread irrational fears, but you posted YouTube Medicine?

• NVintage
    edited May 2021
    I'm not a scientist, but I do have a BA in Anthropology. I had to learn how to understand research papers for that, and am pretty good at detecting false science and bias. Dr. Campbell is on You tube, but he cites information from actual research papers and will let you know where to find it... Here is another video just simply explaining the role of estrogen in immune response. I'm not saying that the vaccine is dangerous. I'm just saying that this is something I want to look at a little more before deciding to make an appointment for my daughter.

https://youtu.be/vMTNIpt-YjU

@YellowD0gs This is a webinar from the University of Genova
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    I just saw this article on line. I really hope that parents start paying attention to this possible outbreak within the teen population and help them schedule their vaccination. Even if the youngsters don't get too sick, and based on reports from COVID survivors, they may have lingering side effects too regardless of their age.

A rise in adolescent hospitalization rates is a reminder that children can suffer from the virus too, expert says

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
  • NVintage
    I know this article has a lot of truth to it, but I think this type of reporting is one reason why many people continue to distrust the government and public health. The headlines about rises in adolescent hospitalization rates without mentioning the actual numbers just seems manipulative...
    I'd rather someone tell me, "Look your kid has almost a zero chance of being hospitalized from covid unless there are previous health conditions to worry about. However, we have an abundance of vaccine in America and so why not vaccinate the kids to get closer to herd immunity since we have so many adults who refuse it...if all the adults were vaccinated we'd have no reason to vaccinate healthy kids. "
    From the CDC site:
    Among 376 adolescents hospitalized during January 1–March 31, 2021, who received a positive SARS-CoV-2 laboratory test result, 172 (45.7%) were analyzed separately because their primary reason for admission might not have been directly COVID-19–related (Table). Among the 204 patients who were likely admitted primarily for COVID-19–related illness, 52.5% were female, 31.4% were Hispanic or Latino (Hispanic), and 35.8% were non-Hispanic Black. Overall, 70.6% had one or more underlying medical conditions, the most common of which were obesity (35.8%), chronic lung disease, including asthma (30.9%), and neurologic disorders (14.2%); 31.4% of patients required ICU admission and 4.9% required invasive mechanical ventilation, but there were no associated deaths.
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I just saw this article on line. I really hope that parents start paying attention to this possible outbreak within the teen population and help them schedule their vaccination. Even if the youngsters don't get too sick, and based on reports from COVID survivors, they may have lingering side effects too regardless of their age.

A rise in adolescent hospitalization rates is a reminder that children can suffer from the virus too, expert says

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

• NVintage
    So that was 200-300 kids out of about 25 million?

https://www.childstats.gov/AMERICASCHILDREN/tables/pop1.asp
  • NVintage
    Good question!:D We also have to take into account the risk of exposure... 100% if vaccinated versus maybe 1 in 1,000 chance at most of being exposed to covid in my area right now (would be a lot less if more adults were vaccinated.)
    33gail33 wrote: »
    That were hospitalized. What percentage of kids with Covid do you think end up in the hospital? (Rhetorical question I don't know the exact number but I assume it is fairly low).

Which means that many more kids are infected, and capable of spreading the virus to those who have risk factors and/or can't get vaccinated or don't mount an immune response to the vaccine. It also means many more kids might have long term complications (which are not dependent on the severity of illness.)

Do you think that your kids risk of hospitalization from the vaccine is higher than 200-300 in 25 million?

• NVintage
    Also, is it ethical for wealthy countries to start vaccinating low risk children, while developing countries need vaccines for their elderly people?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    Also, is it ethical for wealthy countries to start vaccinating low risk children, while developing countries need vaccines for their elderly people?

When the "wealthy" countries have an abysmal healthcare system, yes.
    Go into the inner cities and rural poor areas of the U.S. and tell people with no health insurance that they should wait for their vaccine because the country is so "wealthy".

Where in the U.S. do people not have Access to health insurance or state-funded plans?

I got it for free on my state's insurance marketplace when Obamacare kicked in - 2014 or so.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    ah. Well, I guess I'm glad I moved away from Florida...and for a lot more reasons than insurance. I admit, I don't know how that works, haven't kept up with it, don't care, etc. I guess you make do with what's in front of you.
  • fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »

Do you think that your kids risk of hospitalization from the vaccine is higher than 200-300 in 25 million?

It's not what one thinks. There are facts. You can google or scroll up the discussion i sent a link. And there is a chance for new mutations.

• fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member

Yes this is not a simple moral dilemma. There are 25000 ppl in the world dying daily from hunger (10000 children). There are also simply treatable diseases many ppl in third world unnecessarily are dying from. In this context it doesn't sounds as dilemma but cynicism.
    On the other hand and if it helps to challenge the dilemma...i have to add that there are ppl that cannot be vaccinated between us. Currently we need to achieve more than 80%( new mutations) to have a chance to protect them and unfortunately without children this is not possible.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

This is part of the debate currently in the UK.
    The vaccine has been approved for use for 12 - 15 years old as being safe and effective.

But the decision has not yet been made whether to actively vaccinate this age group.
    Do remember the impact of the virus is not solely around suffering adverse reactions to COVID which are typically but not exclusively mild in that age group, think of the missed education and social isolation too.

This wouldn't be the only vaccine given to children for the benefit of society as a whole of course.

There's not an easy answer whether we should prioritise vaccinating a low risk group, which besides the benefits to that cohort also reduces infection spread, versus donating to COVAX for vaccinating high risk groups in other countries. A targetted response to outbreaks and hotspots is one option.