Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pfizer for teens?

Replies

• Senor75
    Senor75 Posts: 29 Member
    I know I'll get some bask lash for this but maybe ask why get the jab for something that is 99.8x survivable?
    Are the side effects or long term effects worth it?
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I think he's saying that for 12-15 year olds, not total population? I definitely agree that the risks and side effects of the vaccine for certain age groups are worth it...like I said before, statistics showed clearly that the over 65 are mostly at risk for hospitalizations and death and working age people are the primary ones spreading it.
    Senor75 wrote: »
    I know I'll get some bask lash for this but maybe ask why get the jab for something that is 99.8x survivable?

Where do people keep getting this 99.8 number from? It's simply not true. Death rate from COVID cases in the U.S. is 1.8 percent according to Johns Hopkins. It's much higher in other countries...9.4 percent in Mexico.

This doesn't even account for severe cases with hospitalization, where people survived but have lasting effects.

600,000 people have died in the U.S. and 3.7 million worldwide.

The risk of long-term effects from the vaccine (which there is no evidence of) is far smaller than your risk of getting COVID and passing it around to others, who may be more vulnerable to severe disease than you are.

I am at low risk personally, but got vaccinated for my family and my community.

Here's the Johns Hopkins mortality analysis if you're interested:
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

• NVintage
    World hunger takes this topic to whole new level! I hope if anything good comes from covid, it'll be that global health issues are a little less invisible to some people.
    fitom80 wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    Also, is it ethical for wealthy countries to start vaccinating low risk children, while developing countries need vaccines for their elderly people?

Yes this is not a simple moral dilemma. There are 25000 ppl in the world dying daily from hunger (10000 children). There are also simply treatable diseases many ppl in third world unnecessarily are dying from. In this context it doesn't sounds as dilemma but cynicism.
    On the other hand and if it helps to challenge the dilemma...i have to add that there are ppl that cannot be vaccinated between us. Currently we need to achieve more than 80%( new mutations) to have a chance to protect them and unfortunately without children this is not possible.

• NVintage
    edited June 2021
    I understand what you all are saying. I still think that we should focus on elderly people and working age people first, and observe what happens long term with the vaccines before messing with the kids, the ones without comorbidities that is. If enough adults are vaccinated it will somewhat protect kids and those that are unable to get vaccinated because of health problems.
  • NVintage
    For me personally, I'm waiting until this August when school starts, and if I'm comfortable with it at that point, then I'll let my daughter decide. The plus side for that is we might have more options by then as Moderna will probably be approved for kids. Ideally, I'd like to see a full FDA approval beforehand.
    I understand what you all are saying. I still think that we should focus on elderly people and working age people first, and observe what happens long term with the vaccines before messing with the kids, the ones without comorbidities that is. If enough adults are vaccinated it will somewhat protect kids and those that are unable to get vaccinated because of health problems.

Genuine question for you, or anyone else who wants to "wait and see". How long do you think we should wait? For people concerned about "long-term" side effects of the vaccine...what does long-term mean to you? A year? 5 years? 10 years? When would you be comfortable enough with it's safety to say that it's worth letting kids get vaccinated?

• NVintage
    edited June 2021
    I think the numbers of kids in the clinical trials were sort of low. Maybe I'm worried more about that than the time frame. I mean I know it has to be tested on someone's kids for us to see any downsides, and all my respect to parents and kids who are brave enough to be the first ones. I'm just not one them!
  • fitom80
    fitom80 Posts: 154 Member
    edited June 2021

How long do you think we should wait? For people concerned about "long-term" side effects of the vaccine...what does long-term mean to you? A year? 5 years? 10 years?
    Additionally we know how mRNA works (not kind of woodoo) also mRNA is used for years. New is only a sequence. Knowing how it works(and that there is no mechanism that can cause long term consequences) scientists can exclude hidden long term consequences (means... there is very very low probability).
    But we already know about many long term consequences for ppl with serious course of a disease. There are already stats. Also from other viruses we know, that there are very common consequences that shows up after years (e.g. by MMR viruses). So it's not only about dead rate. Additionally to the direct victims of virus there are people dying because of limited health care during peaks.
    People concerned about long-term side effects are ignoring all known and talking about something that may exists with very very very low probability.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Senor75 wrote: »

Yes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I think the numbers oyouf kids in the clinical trials were sort of low. Maybe I'm worried more about that than the time frame. I mean I know it has to be tested on someone's kids for us to see any downsides, and all my respect to parents and kids who are brave enough to be the first ones. I'm just not one them!

What numbers do you think were involved in the trials?
    The number I saw was 2,000 subjects.
  • NVintage
    Yes, but weren't half given placebo?

(Okay, that's it for me on this subject!:D)

sijomial wrote: »
    I think the numbers oyouf kids in the clinical trials were sort of low. Maybe I'm worried more about that than the time frame. I mean I know it has to be tested on someone's kids for us to see any downsides, and all my respect to parents and kids who are brave enough to be the first ones. I'm just not one them!

What numbers do you think were involved in the trials?
    The number I saw was 2,000 subjects.