June 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman - Is it the bread or being incredibly unfocused, crazy and zoomy? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    @kgirlhart - he had to work to get to the bread. It was far back on the counter and he managed to pull the cutting board forward and got the loaf without disturbing the large bread knife that was also on the cutting board. He doesn't realize it but I am sure he could jump up on the counter if he tried. He has jumped up on the BBQ counter outside and it is almost as high. I am glad he doesn't realize it though!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @penguinmama87 - Here's some info to get started on various training workouts from easiest to speedwork. The key is to get a base of running at Z2 or lower first, then develop within all of those zones yet not overdo it. A good guideline is the 80/20 rule where 80 percent of your running should be easy (Z2 or lower).

https://www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a20812270/should-i-do-heart-rate-training/

Currently I'm pretty happy with my own schedule just as an example listed below, your own schedule could be quite different, just try and stay within the 80/20 rule as it is a solid general guideline that can work for all.

Sun - Long (90 mins Z2 with 30 min Z3 finish)
    Mon - Easy (45 mins Z2)
    Tue - Easy (45 mins Z2)
    Wed - Threshold (7.5 min Z2 warm-up, 20-30 min Z4, 7.5 min Z2 cool-down)
    Thurs - Easy (45 mins Z2)
    Fri - Z5 intervals (for example 7.5 min warm-up, 12 x 30 sec sprints with 2 min Z2 recovery, 7.5 min Z2 cool-down)
    Sat - Rest
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic that's so inspiring. Great job!!!
  • abowersgirl
    Options
    @martaindale just a thought, but this sounds a lot like how I was acting just before my menstrual cycle started...
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    6-1 7k tempo
    6-2 rest
    6-3 7k tempo
    6-4 6k tempo
    6-5 7k tempo
    6-6 6k tempo
    6-7 rest
    6-8 7k tempo
    6-9 6k tempo

June Total: 46k
    June Goal: 150k

Partly cloudy, low 70s F and no breeze this morning. Felt the heat getting to me so cut it off at 6k.

@shanaber wrote - Is it the bread or being incredibly unfocused, crazy and zoomy? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
    All of the above!!!!!

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH
    9/18 5k Run and Roll, Aurora, OH
  • abowersgirl
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Nothing to see here .. double posted
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for letting me vent. I know most kids go through this phase but tht doesn't make it any less painful! I am happy to hear some of you have been through this and both you and your child have come out the other side!
    @eleanorhawkins @shanaber We will leave her home on shorter things since my in-laws live right behind us and are amazing grandparents. But this is an almost 3 week trip and even though they would probably never tell us no, I wouldn't want to give them that responsibility for such a long time. I really do think she will have fun once she is on the trip. At least, I hope she will.

@Mari33a Yay for vaccination! It made a huge difference for my mental state knowing that I was vaccinated!

@polskagirl01 Great work on the home gym! Looks like a good setup.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @martaindale just a thought, but this sounds a lot like how I was acting just before my menstrual cycle started...

Yep, that's part of it too. It's a rough time.
  • martaindale
    Options
    @penguinmama87 running consistently you will naturally increase speed as your body develops better aerobic efficiency. @WhatMeRunning gives a good example of adding some speed workouts to your weekly schedule. Over time you will be amazed how your easy runs will get faster. Just be patient.

All the above. I remember getting to the point you are now and wondering what exactly I was supposed to be doing. Once you finish C25k you might transition to another training plan for 10k or beyond. Most of those plans incorporate some speed work in a way that was really easy to follow for me when I was first starting it. I personally really like the 5k to 10k training app from active. One speed workout a week and it switched up. Since it was geared to the speed work novice, it didn't focus on heart rates or paces so much as your perceived effort. Running fast for you or normal speed or slow.