June 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Nice view. Looks totally worth the climb. I have to say when I started reading the description under the first picture, I hadn't seen the second picture yet. I read, "Took a picture of this cute little guy thinking he looked harmless" as "Took a picture of this cute guy looking at his muscles." LOL I guess the reason I read it that way was because the guy laying by the bicycle was in my vision as I was reading it.

I thought the exact same thing!

I don’t know if any of you remember I volunteered last year at a XC meet here in town where some of the best high school runners from all over the country came out. The race director is doing a track meet next weekend. I’m so excited, they are doing 800, mile and 3200. Again the best runners from all over the country. It’s so exciting!!!

I remember that meet because a girl from my area did very well and made the local news.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Distance Log:
    6/2 2.50 miles
    6/5 2.69

Total: 5.19/30 miles
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @Teresa502 which trails are you doing in your rim2rim? North & South Kaibab? Be safe. The temps are getting up there. Drink lots of water.

Last July we did North Kaibab down like 3 miles? Then in October we did South Kaibab down about 3 miles. Coming out is a *kitten*.

We start out on the North Rim on the North Kaibab trail and then transition over to the Bright Angel trail. We have side trips to Ribbon Falls and also to Plateau Point for the sunset one evening. I must admit that I'm worried about melting into a giant puddle in the heat!

I've heard bright angel is an easier climb out over south kaibab. There's one part of bright angel that looks tough. Looks almost straight up lol
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Nice run @sweetdaisy13 ! I'm not sure I can help you with the decision about the poles or not. I've never used them. Does the race site suggest them? Have you ran/hiked the race route to see how steep/technical the trail is? I would think those things would play into whether you need them or not.

@AlphaHowls I'm sure if you want it, you will see that it happens.

Glad you had a nice run in the rain @Scott6255 ! I wish I had that pace when running hard. LOL
  • runsrunsruns
    runsrunsruns Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    so in the end I had to run an additional 169m to finish my run on the watch compared to the phone. I'm getting a foot pod soon. hopefully that will help a bit as I have no idea whatelse to do. The GPS signal just is really bad in this town (not elsewhere).
    It might not be your watch. It might be the app. When I enable Location settings (i don't leave it running), I have the option to enable ONLY gps or to enable "enhanced location services" (ELS). ELS apparently uses cell towers, wifi & bluetooth beacons to improve gps accuracy. But when I enable ELS using the GoogleFit app, the app records an extra .1mi every mile. On a known 3.1mi course, GoogleFit records around 3.45mi vs my ancient Garmin that records 3.1 +/-. If I disable ELS, GoogleFit generally matches my watch. I tried the Nike Run Club app yesterday and ran with ELS on, and unlike GoogleFit, NRCmatched my Garmin. Anyway... just saying it might not be your watch. It might be your phone that is off.

• sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice regarding running with poles. We should be getting race information emailed to us this weekend with further details regarding elevation/ascents, kit etc.

@AlphaHowls gosh, I'm in awe of your mileage. Marathons on top of daily Half Marathon is amazing. No idea how you do it without getting injured!
  • emptydog
    emptydog Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    emptydog wrote: »
    6/1 5.30
    6/2 10.32
    6/3 1.15
    6/4 6.37
    6/5 5.52

28.66 / 100 miles.

@AlphaHowls
    My body often tells me to eat a lot of chocolate and take a nap on the couch.

• emptydog
    Options
    ...and when I wake up from the nap, fuel with pizza washed down with beer.
    Yes!!

• emptydog
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I have a little problem with the quote thing and all. Heh.