What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»
    * Just over 7k rowing bow in the quad. (Same rower lineup from Monday's tree adventure let me steer again - go figure πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ. It was hot, but blessedly uneventful.)

* 2.4mi walk with a couple of my rowing buddies, right after the row, leading to . . .

* lunch at a plant-filled beer garden, next to a pond with a fountain.

I think this may be li'l ol' lady cardio? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‹

@mistyrbell9588 - Hang in there, just keep gradually progressing via keeping a bit of a manageable challenge in your routine, doing things you find fun: You'll amaze yourself with what you accomplish, long term.

I didn't become routinely active until my mid-40s, after around 8 months of full-course cancer treatment, obese at the time. Now I'm 65, very active, a healthy weight, and light-years healthier/stronger. Younger, health and capability-wise, for sure.

pgpvkdloh1ha.png

(Garmin exaggerates. πŸ˜‰πŸ€£)

Hi there! Didn’t realize you went through cancer treatment. My mom did the same (breast) and is very active. I wish she strength trained and ate to fuel herself more, but she is trying to lose weight. You give me hope things can still turn for her!

Stage III breast cancer, in my case, diagnosed when I was already pretty physically depleted. After treatment (bilateral mastectomies, 6 months of chemotherapy, 6 weeks of radiation therapy every weekday), I realized that if I ever wanted to feel even as strong, healthy and happy as I had before diagnosis, I was going to have to *work* at it. I started with some manageable things: Yoga for a while, later a strength training class, other things, then found rowing, which is what completely transformed my life, physically and socially.

Things absolutely can turn for your mom . . . but she needs to want to turn them. I was already active before weight loss . . . fueling exercise and weight loss can co-exist, IME, even weight loss at a pretty satisfying rate.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    * Just over 7k rowing bow in the quad. (Same rower lineup from Monday's tree adventure let me steer again - go figure πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ. It was hot, but blessedly uneventful.)

* 2.4mi walk with a couple of my rowing buddies, right after the row, leading to . . .

@mistyrbell9588 - Hang in there, just keep gradually progressing via keeping a bit of a manageable challenge in your routine, doing things you find fun: You'll amaze yourself with what you accomplish, long term.

I didn't become routinely active until my mid-40s, after around 8 months of full-course cancer treatment, obese at the time. Now I'm 65, very active, a healthy weight, and light-years healthier/stronger. Younger, health and capability-wise, for sure.

pgpvkdloh1ha.png

@AnnPt77, according to Garmin, we're the same age. :)
  • Djproulx
    Options

You have to understand that super incremental, consistency is the key. People don't become athletic overnight. It's by doing something every single day or around five or six days a week (taking one day of rest). It also helps losing weight. I was over 40% body fat at 255 or so. Now, I'm nearly 200 lbs but only like 10 of that is excess fat that I would like to lose. I'm likely around 20% body fat now and even have a (slight, not ripped) six pack at 200 lbs (and I'll be 57 this year). You can do a heck of a lot more strenuous exercises when you've slowly lost the weight and built up to it.

But just do it one day at a time. Don't look ahead and don't compare. Just be super consistent.

@MikePfirman - This paragraph is THE ANSWER for 99% of us. It's incredibly simple to say, but often very difficult for many people to execute over the long term. That is why I believe that those who succeed in achieving long term fitness are the people who have made it a habit. For those folks, there's no thinking involved, it has become automatic.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Back from vacation and into the lap pool. 2600yd swim today, starting with drills, then a main set of 5x400 @ just above race pace using a pull buoy to simulate a wetsuit swim. Bike trainer work resumes tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: Β»

pgpvkdloh1ha.png

@AnnPt77, according to Garmin, we're the same age. :)

In your case, I wouldn't be as flippant, nor question the results.

Your training routine is impressive, and inspiring! πŸ‘πŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸš΄β€β™‚οΈπŸŠβ€β™‚οΈ πŸ’ͺ πŸ‘ I enjoy reading about it.

I just ditz around doing fun active stuff these days, not much discipline/structure. πŸ˜‰ I used to train more sensibly, during some periods when competing, maybe there's some carryover benefit? πŸ™‚πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
  • MicheinMA
    MicheinMA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Deck of Cards work out. Hearts-Squats, Diamonds-Pushups, Spades-Sit Ups, Clubs-Mountain Climbers. All aces are burpees. Whatever card is flipped that is what we do. Made it through the whole deck.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Couldn't decide if I wanted to try this month's CTC (Cross Team Challenge) today or not. It was a bit hot in the garage (90 degrees), but I pointed the Evap Cooler right at me and went for it.

It was definitely a max HR type of workout. 2K @ 20 SPM (restricted rate row), 7 minutes of rest, then 5K unrestricted. HR hit 95% of max by the last 1000 meters. 2:16 pace for the 2K and then a 2:14.6 or so on the 5K. Puts me squarely in last place among the men in my club, but I can't say I didn't give it a strong go (unless our one lone 60 plus year old male ends up doing it!).

Joined Planet Fitness last night. I've decided to go one night a week and get some heavier machine lifts in. I likely still won't lift more than twice a week, but I feel like I need that to get stronger again. I can't do heavy deadlifts/squats any longer with barbells, so I have to use machines to stabilize the knee. I've lost a lot of strength over the last few years and I feel like I have a nice base again, but haven't reached potential.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Quick spin

ccye9gxbaggw.jpeg
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Climbing, 2 hours.

I think this was a good session - nearly all the routes had been reset, so there was a lot of new stuff to try. One turned into a bit of a project. I inched my way up it, sending it on about the 10th go. I had completely different beta to everyone else, but my way was clearly best (as it eventually worked for me )
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Walk some mileage at the local marina with the family. <3
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Note to self -- never, ever do a hard row on Golf League night. Wow, was that brutal!

It was 104 degrees and I shot around 9 or 10 strokes higher than I've been shooting. I'm not a great golfer but I was creeping toward being a mediocre golfer. Last night, I looked like a total beginner. It was lovely, but hot. Got in around 8500 steps and had calf cramps that woke me up a few times.

Tip to the older folks about cramps. Get a Purewave Massager. Best $100 I've ever spent. Great for working out cramps in the middle of the night. IMHO, better massager than some of the more expensive ones (I've tried Theraguns and such). There is a soft ball on the Purewave, so you can massage around (or even on) bone and it doesn't hurt. That's key to working out cramps that are close in to the bone. We got it for my wife's Fibromyalgia knots years ago, but we both really love it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Full upper body workout (gym re-opened finally) and 17,000 steps (including a round of golf-walking).
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Went for my normal 4-5 mile walk, but also played with the dogs during the day...meaning I run and they chase me. It's a fun way to burn calories and gives the dogs some attention! :)
  • kayfager
    kayfager Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone 2 mile walk !
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Note to self -- never, ever do a hard row on Golf League night. Wow, was that brutal!

It was 104 degrees and I shot around 9 or 10 strokes higher than I've been shooting. I'm not a great golfer but I was creeping toward being a mediocre golfer. Last night, I looked like a total beginner. It was lovely, but hot. Got in around 8500 steps and had calf cramps that woke me up a few times.

Tip to the older folks about cramps. Get a Purewave Massager. Best $100 I've ever spent. Great for working out cramps in the middle of the night. IMHO, better massager than some of the more expensive ones (I've tried Theraguns and such). There is a soft ball on the Purewave, so you can massage around (or even on) bone and it doesn't hurt. That's key to working out cramps that are close in to the bone. We got it for my wife's Fibromyalgia knots years ago, but we both really love it.

This is timely for me. I've balked at spending $1200 on a pair of Normatec boots or $500 on a Theragun, but need something beyond a foam roller and lacrosse ball to use in between monthly deep tissue massage sessions.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength: GTGE10-15MOM*
    HSPU/Pike 3x5r (15r)
    Pull-up 3x5r (15r)
    Dip 3x5r (15r)
    Cossack Squat 3x10r (30r)
    Jumprope 3x200 sk (600sk)
    Vacuums
    6x20s (2m)

*Meant to do 6 sets of GTG but just didn't have it this morning...
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021
    Options

This is timely for me. I've balked at spending $1200 on a pair of Normatec boots or $500 on a Theragun, but need something beyond a foam roller and lacrosse ball to use in between monthly deep tissue massage sessions.

I swear, I have never heard anyone that didn't love it. The round ball one is what makes it. Plus, it's cordless. If I wake in the night and use it and forget to plug it back in so it can charge, and my wife goes to use it, oh boy am I in trouble!

Those PTs on YouTube (Bob and Brad, the two guys that name themselves the top PTs on the internet) reviewed it and called it the best massager they've ever seen and use in their Physical Therapy practice.

Not as powerful as a TheraGun, but enough to work well and not hurt.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Did an 8 round superset lift in the garage followed by a moderate 5K. Too fast to be Steady State work but too slow to really be super hard. Hot one today. Even with the Evap Cooler and my cooling T-shirt (I have a shirt that's the same stuff that they make those cooling towels out of -- when you sweat, it cools you by around 10 degrees) it was pretty hard. It's around 103 today at lunch. Hard but tolerable.

Around 750 calories for the 52 minutes.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    More of the same:

* Around 7.4k rowing bow in the double. It was blessedly cool this morning, still 60s F when we started out, so we did some 10 stroke hard/10 stroke moderate interval pieces for fun, after we got past some areas that required more attentive steering.

* 5.3 mile walk, slow at 3.2mph (sleepy - almost fell asleep in my car before the walk, after reaching the park!).
  • Djproulx
    Options

I swear, I have never heard anyone that didn't love it. The round ball one is what makes it. Plus, it's cordless. If I wake in the night and use it and forget to plug it back in so it can charge, and my wife goes to use it, oh boy am I in trouble!

Those PTs on YouTube (Bob and Brad, the two guys that name themselves the top PTs on the internet) reviewed it and called it the best massager they've ever seen and use in their Physical Therapy practice.

Not as powerful as a TheraGun, but enough to work well and not hurt.

Ordered the PureWave GEN II. Looking forward to getting it next week.