WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    jamie1757--I have just under 100 and then will decide if more.

Machka--No we are not private. We are joined to the larges healthcare system in the USA. That is part of why it takes so long to hire anyone as HR is not on site. So different from when I started and we were just us and run by a borad that was local. They keep telling us this is better. HaHa!!

I send birthday cards and if they are under 18 and still in school they get a $2 bill. For christmas we do a little more and last couple years I have tried to make something for them. This year they are getting dish cloths and I am embroding tea towels. I do buy some gifts for the little ones. I am very good at buying stuff year round and giving just because.

My blood surgar this morning was pretty high for me(155) I do think it is from lack of sleep and stress. I am trying to eat more protein and less carbs and see if my blood count will go back up to normal range. I want to see what I can do before doctor appointment next month. I only work 9 hours tomorrow and 8 on Tuesday so hoping to get some rest and then see how the rest of the week goes.

Heather--Love the poem. I am sure the DGC will too. What a great thing they did taking the test so DH could be with them to watch the game. Shows how important he is to them and what a Blessing.

Been a pretty slow day so far at work. I did try something for the first time. Downloading pictures from my phone to Walgreens to be printed. DH will pick them up before I get off work and if it worked that will save me time. The new computer we bought is so hard to download pictures to print. This way they will be in my folder at Walgreens and I like that, because when I go into the store to print them off my phone they are not saved. It's the little things that make me happy.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    England lost. On penalties 3-2.
    It was hard enough staying at home and checking the score every half hour. I could not have watched it. :sad: HATE penalties.
    Expecting DH home soon.
    I watched a French film and read a book about leaving a cult. It was still nerve-wracking.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    {{{{{{
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather—I love the photo of Edie and her soccer team. :heart:

RVRita—You seem to have worked out a good plan. I hope it goes well for you. Barbie’s suggestion to contact Al Anon is a good idea. :flowerforyou:

I am making a knitted baby blanket and having fun with the project. Our
    son and daughter in law are expecting and the baby is due this fall. I have a good start, and a long way to go before I’m finished.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,441 Member
    Here is a good article on the gut microbiome. Ignore the bit where they are trying to sell something. :#

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/11/unlocking-the-gut-microbiome-and-its-massive-significance-to-our-health

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Very interesting! I like the part about letting kids play with dirt! I might just have to make a blue muffin! Thanks for posting.💖
    Rebecca
  • khalsey3737
    khalsey3737 Posts: 2 Member
    Just found the community section. I’m in the car on the way home from vacay with my family. We visited 5 new high points. My son wants to get all 50. He’s done 15 since last summer. I’ve done most of them but my weight keeps me from being able to hike the really long hikes. Hoping July slows down because I’m a teacher and still am in recovery from the year of Covid teaching. I hope everyone has a great week!
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,441 Member
    Well today I got my hair trimmed. It feels better. I went to Target and found a two piece swimming suit that will work, a drawstring comfortable pair of shirts, and two lightweight shirts, one plain white, the other thin blue striped. It was a positive experience. I then bought a case of Stella Atouis beer to celebrate my day.🙃😋😁👍
    Rebecca
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    ❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    kymarai wrote: »
    Gifts- My nephew and his wife sent a thank you note for their gift which was donations to some of their honeymoon experiences. My oldest daughter believes in experiences more than things so I try to use that as my guide. Gift giving is so difficult these days as everyone buys what they want. With the grands all getting older, it is harder to buy things, so experiences work much better.

<3
    Kylia currently in Kentucky

I generally prefer experiences too. I'd rather have a gift certificate to a wildlife park or day cruise or massage or something than another "thing".

Regarding work ... have you looked at temporary agencies like Manpower etc.? https://www.manpowergroup.com/

Several times in my life I've acquired fairly long-term employment through agencies like that. One place only hired new people through an agency and then once you'd been there for a few years you were eligible to apply for permanent positions. And you can get all sorts of different skills ... not just office skills.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Regarding weight --

I have developed the knack of maintenance. After decades of up and down, I have maintained my weight for the past couple years! While maintaining is better than gaining, I'd like to lose weight.

But how?

I try to keep the number of calories I consume prior to 6 pm reasonably low. I eat lower calories foods and try to keep the quantity down. Until 6 pm, I'm on track.

Then I come home.

My husband makes dinner and sometimes that's OK, he'll make something fairly low cal but other times it's fairly high cal. I also get some really interesting combinations!! He has no sense of smell or taste because of his brain injury, so it doesn't really matter to him what he puts together ... and he doesn't really understand calories. I have made some attempts to explain but he doesn't seem to get it. I also cannot tell him that I don't want something because it upsets him. And finally, the Australian way of serving food is still weird to me ... the cook serves everything onto each plate rather than putting the food on the table in bowls. So he'll often serve me more than I want ... and if I mention I'd prefer less, that can upset him too.

Then he likes his sweets after and wants me to have them too. I talk to him about eating less and we do for a little while, then the quantity increases again.

So I've tried to eat less earlier in the day, but that just makes me grouchy hungry by the time I get home.
    And I've tried to exercise more, but that can be hard to keep up ... I get tired.

I'm not sure what to do.

Machka in Oz

Hi Machka I think you just need to stick your guns.
    it's not fair for anyone to be pushed to eat more than they want to because a husband, wife, mother, grandma WANTS you to eat more.

maybe you can say. this is delicious but as I'm smaller I don't have as big a stomach, so I'm happy to save some of this delicious food for tomorrow.
    same for desserts.

I think it can be a tricky situation for many couples. I haven't been in a couple for. awhile but in my last couple I did most of the day to day cooking. when I'd cook I'd use like 1 tsp of cooking oil per person max or so. he could use a quarter cup for the 2 for 1 meal of us in his veggie cooking. it was very tasty I'm sure, but... and I think if I asked him to use less oil he didn't like having his style cramped...so I ended continuing doing most of the food prep.

It's really common for people in the same family not to eat exactly the same food and certainly not the same quantities.
    You can also ask for it to not be served onto the plate OR serve it onto the plate yourself.

There needs to be a bit of compromise.

All that might work with a person without a brain injury ... unfortunately, it's a bit more tricky with a person with a brain injury.

Making the evening meal is an independence thing for him, and it's his way of telling me he loves me. Also it is really hard to explain things to him. So much misunderstanding and tears.

M in Oz

that sound rough,

maybe only eat dinner ?

I need fuel for my brain during the day!

I don't usually eat between about 9 pm and 11:30 am.

11:30 am - 100 calorie snack to fuel my lunch walk
    2:00 pm - lunch: chicken, rice and veg ... sometimes I have seeds for extra protein but I think I need to stop that.
    3:45 pm - small low cal yogurt
    4:45 pm - mandarin orange. I was having a larger snack then, but I've cut that out. I need something just then so that I'm not nauseated on the bus home.

ej4xelli3swn.png

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,332 Member
    Woke up late today so just went for my walk before it got too hot. Vince says that he set the alarm but I slept thru it. He either has it real low or else forgot to put it on. He won’t admit it, tho. He also left the light on in the garage and he’s telling me that he told me to close the garage door when I come in from mahjongg. I don’t remember him ever telling me that. Many times I just did it. He just doesn’t like to be wrong so I just let things run off my shoulders. The plan for tomorrow is to do some bodypump DVD.

Debbie – maybe I’ll get the lid and see how it goes. I’m the only one who will eat dehydrated fruit, so I’m wondering how much I will need. Well, there’s only one way to find out.

M – loved the “punishment”

Annie DE – you got this!

Went in the pool (where else?)

RV Rita – when my husband read about the UFO parts being found, he again said how going to Area 51 is on his bucket list. I thought it might be increasing your business

frespirit – welcome! Come back often

khalsey – welcome! You can do it!!!

Rebecca did you get your haircut yourself or did Lee go with you??? There is no way on this green earth you’d get me into a 2 piece! You’re braver than I am, that’s for sure

Vince grilled chicken and salmon for us to have later in the week, then I played mahjongg with my feet in the spa.

Michele NC
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    ((((((((((Flea))))))))))) - so many hugs.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,601 Member
    Home again.....
    Got to see a deer that the guys bush hogging kicked up. That was cool!
    There are lots of old switches and outlets at the farm house that are loose, dirty. and/or not covered. DH decided that this weekend would be good to change them. I told him he was on his own as I had stuffs to do. Well, he really did try. The small screws were so frustrating for him. I worked on my stuffs, then helped him in between. I saw the first 1/2 of 5 shows, and missed the endings of them all. SMH! After that we went out to the old hunting spot on the property. The weeds were super tall. I started walking through to see a cool flower, but I was in tennis shoes and the weeds were getting higher than my waist. Snakes were a concern.....just saying....DH to the rescue. He brought the 4 wheeler around to get me to the flower. While doing that we kicked up a baby deer. I was only about 5 ft from it! Kelly the cool red flower I found was Monarch milkweed. I broke off a piece to take back to my phone to identify. I looked for any evidence of eggs. I didn't see any on the piece I broke off. I did get to see about 6 different butterflies while out there. OHHHHH! Moon moth!!! There was a large one on the screen door last night. It was mint green. They are so cool! The farm is one of my happy places. I love the birds, bunnies, butterflies, moths, deer, cows, and flowers!
    ydki9c2pp8s8.jpg
    eu1oft2floqn.jpg

<3
    Kylia back in Ohio
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,601 Member
    Flea Sounds like you have a great doctor on your team! We are ALL here for you! Prayers! Hugs! Positive thoughts!
  • Machka9
    Health update
    Metastatic -- so Stage 4, not curable. The CT scan this morning showed a suspicious spot on the 9th vertebrae.
    I've spent some time today crying, not angry, just disappointed. But I talked to the oncologist this afternoon, and she wants to go for it. So I will get the port placed tomorrow and start chemo on Tuesday. She will schedule a PET scan and biopsy for the suspicious vertebrae and work on getting the rest of my care team on board. She is going to recommend that I still have a mastectomy to get rid of the primary cancer and radiate the hell out of my breasts and spine.

I felt better having talked to her because I don't know how I would have handled it if she had said, oh, well. We'll just keep you going as long as possible and say good by in 2-4 years, at the best.

She is not promising I will be cured, and I get that. But I don't want to go down without a fight.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Hugs and prayers!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    <3Flea, sending hugs to you
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    fresprit57 wrote: »
    Just found this group. Happy to participate.

welcome. Add your name and some kind of location to each post it helps. (I"m new to and trust me....)

Kiz
    North Florida