WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    Evelyn Happy Birthday! Glad it was a good day for you.
    Rebecca Prayers continue for son. Unfortunately, I feel the Navy makes "examples" of the lower ranks. My son in law was one of them. I pray your son is not!
    🙏❤🦋
    Kylia waking up to air alert day in Ohio
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    tried to get 1st reading glasses at this really discount place. I waited a long time for them to test my eyes since my vision has gone down in past months or even weeks. I could get by without reading glasses and now it's tough. but she didn't test astigmatism and the very quickly produced pair (less than 40 min) wasn't so clear.
    I think my astigmatism has evolved and she didn't want to bother. when she was testing I told her it was clearer but wasn't very clear.

but tell me are reading glasses only supposed to help for a certain distance, no closer, no farther? like you can keep your book 15 inches away but not so much 12?
    that's kind of how it was, but still not totally clear.

whinge :
    a bust! after waiting and paying and checking they said they can only give me.a refund in 2 weeks.

the manager had already yelled at the woman before me who had waited a very long time. She was speaking softly, but was frustrated about a long wait ; and he was yelling very loudly that she should keep her voice down. then he was extremely unpleasant with me. I'll spare the details but it was pretty shocking! I said I was going to record it. then he tried to insult me by whispering so I put the recording phone in front of my ear. then he tried to write on an insult on paper. and I was going to take a picture of it but he said I couldn't. and way more, but I'll spare you. I don't know what the insult is thank goodness. I was rather detached and saying: who is speaking loudly? He was a bit crazy; he said he won't be there in 2 weeks, so he didn't care about (not sure what). (maybe he quit or is getting fired?)

I've rarely seen such "management!".

Really poor customer service!! I've actually stopped going to chain discount optical services. The last time I did they could not get my prescription right and finally I went with old-fashioned bifocals.

I have two pair of glasses. One is a distance pair of progressives which I wear while driving and cycling. I can read things closer up through the bottom, but where they excel is distance viewing.

The other are desk glasses. They are also progressives. Through the top, I can see probably about 10 metres away quite clearly and then things start to get a little blurry. Through the middle, I can see my computer screen reasonably clearly and it is about an arm's length away. Through the bottom, I can see the page I have on a stand to refer to or my phone, when they are about 30 cm (1 foot) away.

If I need to see detail really sharply, I take my glasses off and hold the item about a little less than 1 foot away. For example, when I'm lying in bed reading, I prefer to do that without my glasses. Or if when I colour, I've discovered I prefer to do that without my glasses too.

M in Oz

Thanks MACHKA and ANNIE for your answers.

I will not go back to that place while that guy is manager.
    I went to another branch previously and it was fine.
    But I'm happy to go elsewhere now.
    Thanks for the explanations.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    yesterday was a bit fun in midday but went to work thing where they had almost no food (bad planning, they were expecting less people due to covid) and only rosé. so I had 2 glasses of rosé and a couple of tiny tiny pieces of tuna. Then felt a bit tipsy as I always do with 2 glasses of wine. by evening I had pretty much evacuated it and had dinner with a friend where we always get a glass of wine. since we hadn't reserved we had to wait 50 min so went to another place for a glass of wine and then got one with dinner.

it was way too much for one day- I felt heavy, spent maybe 5 or 10 min slowly on recumbent after getting home at 10:30.

not good mood and not efficient today.
    spent a lot of time on administrative work things to finish up before school offices close tomorrow for about 5 weeks.

it took way longer than planned, but good results.
    also workers rights stuff but it's lagging.

we didn't have time to do certain things before, and mid-summer is not an ideal time to act, but certain government budgets are debated now, and voted in late august, so we had to do a last work, writing a letter and sending it to gov't people and so on.

I think I must have spent at least 20h and my colleague at least 10.
    I'm annoyed as many others in the collective are not lifting a finger to spend an hour or even less.

We did the most urgent and I'm leaving the rest for others ...or for no-one...

• kymarai
    Options
    Julie I forgot to comment on your eyewear experience. How awful! Like Machka i don't go to chain places either. It seems my glasses were never right. I see an ophthalmologist ,not optometrist, once a year for my prescriptions. Surprisingly,so far, Costco has gotten the lenses correct when I have bought them. Previously, I went to a smaller eye glass store.more accountability when a small business. I do like Machka's idea of separate glasses. I have progressives which I love, but I stand for work and sometimes get a sore neck from tilting to see out the bottom of them. Will ask next visit.

Concrete work continues......followed by 1500 ft of blacktop work. At least the blacktop won't mess with my flower beds! Maybe next year I will get to enjoy the new patio furniture I got last fall. Right now is all just a mess. Grass seed going down today in backyard. Progress being made.

I had better get a move on....need to clean kitchen, put dinner in crockpot, pack lunches, get ready for work.

Have a BLESSED day!

Kylia in Ohio
  • kymarai
    Options
    Katla So glad you finally have the new stove/microwave installed. Enjoy them!
    Penny Life has a way of interrupting our best laid plans. Change is hard. You've got this!
    Machka Inspiring run! Congratulations!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Today was my birthday (July 21), just before 5 pm I informed hubby that he was taking me out for dinner. Fortunately for me, he was a good sport about it! lol We also went down to where our grandson was having his last lacrosse practice for the season. It was like a mini game. These were 5 and 6 year olds, so it's kind of like watching a swarm following the ball, pretty cute tho. At the end of the game, one mom had brought doughnuts for the kids and coaches, one kid ran out and told his mom "we each get to have a whole doughnut!" It was really cute. Our granddaughter and son weren't there, son had a meeting so kept granddaughter at home so that mom could watch the practice, she's quite the lacrosse fan and it's hard to watch anything when you're chasing a two year old around! The meeting was virtual, so easier to keep the little one home.
    We just went to White Spot, I just didn't want to cook, didn't need anything fancy, lol. The food was decent, the bill was reasonable and the service was good. Win, win, win (and I didn't have to clean up afterwards!)
    I had decided today that I wanted to cycle half my age, which would have been 31.5 km. I didn't quite make it, I did 27.75 km. Probably could have made it the rest of the way, but would have had to double back on myself again and when I had been on that particular stretch before it had been really windy and so it was tough going. My knees were also not happy with me, so I decided to give myself a bit of a break. But the padded bike shorts are a win!
    Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

Happy Birthday ... and congratulations on the cycling!! :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Around the block is about 1-1/2 mile and I seem to do it in 35 minutes. Is that a good time?
    Michele NC
    Michele - Only you can say what is a good time for you. We're all different. My daughter would be dissatisfied if she did 1.5 miles in 15 minutes. Some women on this thread would be happy if they could walk at all for 15 minutes. How about if you keep track of your times and judge them against your own previous times?

Penny, slowly adjusting to not living at the

Absolutely, Penny!!

I was very pleased with my running time today, but I know that there are others who work with me who would have left me in the dust.

It depends a lot on age and fitness level.

Michele, it's a great start! :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    also workers rights stuff but it's lagging.

we didn't have time to do certain things before, and mid-summer is not an ideal time to act, but certain government budgets are debated now, and voted in late august, so we had to do a last work, writing a letter and sending it to gov't people and so on.

I think I must have spent at least 20h and my colleague at least 10.
    I'm annoyed as many others in the collective are not lifting a finger to spend an hour or even less.

We did the most urgent and I'm leaving the rest for others ...or for no-one...

You must feel passionately about all that!

Do you get a benefit from it?

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Evelyn!

Annie in Delaware
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Love Reading your posts. Don't have a lot of time today work is a mess.

But it is Thursday which is my WI day.

Also someone asked how often I test. Usually once a month or two but when I'm actively changing things I test more often. Right now I"m testing weekly. I have implemented several things at once so wanted to see if my Low Carb ketosis gut biome diet, and intermittent fasting with occasional HITT is working. It appears to be.
    So Weigh in day. 198.7 26 days ago I was 207 or 206.1 depending on which WI you take.

In 26 days I've dropped 8+ pounds.

That's incredible. I am short and over 50. I have spent a life time exercising, eating right, and following 'traditional' diets and others like atkins. Never have I managed 1 pound a week consistently even when following 1000 calories a day plus exercise. Some select supplement and gallbladder flushes.

The first bit I know was water weight from low carb. But even last week I lost almost 2 pounds. I should be past the water weight loss and that be a real loss.

I mostly tried this as a way to fix my overall health. I have been trying to bring my triglycerides down for 2-3 years. My mom died of heart disease. So far so good on triglycerides.

I am also insulin resistant. I took the initiative to have my insulin tested and calculate my own HOMA IR score which is one way to determine insulin resistance. I had a score that indicated insulin resistance. My 'typical' blood panels like fasting blood sugar were ok but borderline pre-diabetic. I won't be retesting this for months but I am glad to understand this more. My mom was also a type 2 diabetic. By the time you are having fasting blood sugars that are 'concerning' you are in worse shape. I think I am being successful at reversing this but again won't know more for a few months and it takes time to reverse.

I also am trying to improve my gut biome. The have taken fat people and transplanted the microbes from a thin person for that person to become thin. Same in rats. There is so much ongoing evidence on how this is playing out. This part of my diet is actually the hardest part.

So I don't know how it will play out over the next couple months/years but in May/early June I was almost debilitated with not feeling well, no energy and gallbladder pain.

Now I'm walking 1.5 miles a day at a 3 mph pace. My Triglycerides are down from 300 to 123. My gallbadder isn't bugging me as much. Even if I hadn't lost any weight it's been good.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🍃🌿🌱
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    Options
    Could you ladies think positive thoughts regarding my eldest son here? He and a couple other sailors were hauled in for a talking to regarding they weren't wearing masks and they weren't vaccinated. Many of the higher ups are also choosing to not wear masks, nor are they vaccinated. The Navy has yet to order them to vaccinate up. Until its offically an order to get vaccinated, he isn't. So Thursday is a Captain's Mast. Worse case is they knock them down a rate, and with son having 14 years in, he would be out of the Navy. We're all hoping it gets dismissed. This was regarding a mask check in March and since then masks have been worn. Poor kid is beside himself.😢.
    Thanks
    Rebecca

Sending positive thoughts for your son. I hope it gets dismissed and he doesn’t have to leave the Navy
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Morning again ladies
    No humidity today and i can breath.. who knew...have 2 loads of laundry going of Dans,oh well ..have both the pups and they are chilling out.. did the dishes and now waiting on the laundry.
    Lisa- glad your feeling a bit better take it a day at a time girl..
    Yes a week from today i go see the neuro opthamologist.. and here is hoping the can explain things,i did look up a few things and one is called kaleidoscope vision and honestly thats what it feels like when i have those episodes..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    Options
    Evelyn: - 🥂🍾 Happy Birthday for yesterday 🍾🥂 Bravo on 🚴🏻‍♀️ almost half your age and the padded seat.
    Penny: - it seems we have crazy weather in quite a few places at the moment.

It's been a scorcher today. Temperature is 26*C and humidity is at 47%. I felt like a wet rag when I was outside, so I'm inside with the windows open to catch the slight breeze of the sea. Our lounge faces north west and is in shade from midday, so it's pleasant here with the windows open.

One of my friends came for coffee morning, and we sat in the shade under my magnolia tree. It was lovelynto,have a chat. I haven't seen her since just before Christmas.

I'm currently harvesting about six cucumbers a day, and have become very popular with my neighbours. I don't know why DH planted 5 vines this year. We only had 2 plants last year and it was difficult enough to keep,up,with them. 😂 🥒🥒🥒

He's been out birdwatching with his pals today and has just arrived home. I've had a nice quiet day pleasing myself.

Enjoy the rest of your day 💕💖💕

☘️ Terri
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Heather – Congratulations on getting nine pages closer to the end of the first edit. :star:

Allie – Talk to your doctor ASAP. My DH has had MS for many years and it is progressively worse as time goes by. He started off with awkward walking. His brain is sharp, but he uses walkers in the house & yard to maintain balance. He takes medication that slows the speed of the disease but does not stop it. I hope for your sake that you do not have it. :noway: I hope the opthamologist will be able to help your situation.

Tracey – I hope the doctor’s appointment will result in a reduction of pain and a strategy for improving your health. :flowerforyou:

Kylia – Your sister in law seems like a self-centered soul. :grumble: I hope you will get a bit of relief. :heart:

Penny – The photo could be a spring day in parts of Oregon, especially near the coast. This year has had relatively little rainfall or fog. Parts of our state are very dry & I worry about wild fires again this year. :sad:

(((Rebecca))) – Prayers for your son. I hope all turns out okay for him. :flowerforyou:

Evie – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Your birthday is one day after mine, but you are several years younger than me. I hope this is an excellent year for both of us. :wink:

Machka – A nice, relaxing place to come home to is a blessing. I suspect you will find a way to reach that goal. :star:

I plan to spend a good bit of time knitting today. I’ve passed the turnaround for the baby blanket and each row is a bit shorter. The baby is not due for a few months and I expect to have the baby blanket done ahead of time. My thumb is still a bit sore so I’ll make a point of not pushing it too far today.

Katla in sunny NW Oregon