Keto and Fasting has been amazing thus far.

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    dr Benjamin Bickman, Robert Lustig, Paul Mason, Kriss Knobbe, Sten Ekberg, Diet Doctor Brad Scher, Peter Attia. Or just listen their podcasts, especially I recommend Metabolic Classroom with short and dens exploration of the nutrition matter.

An impressive list of well marketed "experts" and possibly (I'm honestly not willing to look them up one by one, I don't actually care enough to look up the ones condemned by association but I am willing to posit) some experts, right?

I mean could there possibly exist any other viewpoints? Say, even viewpoints and suggestions written out in consultation with other scientists, some of who have backgrounds specifically in the field of nutrition?

Let's see... a dozen authors above... let's pick a dozen countries full of authors below...
    http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-dietary-guidelines/en/

And what are the consensus guidelines? https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/healthy-diet (I still think that reading some of the country guidelines is more worthwhile than marketing podcasts. I was honestly surprised by the Brazilian guidelines as an example. It is also interesting to see how many of the guidelines make assumptions and the reasons behind some of the recommendations--which, once you consider them, lets you decide if the reasons make sense to you)

I mean: everyone of us has a **kitten**, and they all stink, right?

Sure, for some people keto and intermittent fasting work. Judging from the amount of beyond the first year posts in the various IF and keto groups... the willingness to remain engaged and adjust as your needs change over time is pretty dang important to people who chose to roll this way.

Then again... that's true no matter what type of eating you practice.

There is NO METHOD OF EATING that is more impactful to your health than getting your body weight within the continuum of being "not underweight" and being "not too overweight". There is no method of eating more important than getting into your body enough (but not too many) calories of sufficient basic nutrients for you to function well.

After that things start to diverge. And what is do-able for someone at one point of time may change over time.

I would rather take advice from the WHO than from a random collection of un-vetted, controversial, or "in the forefront of experimenting on me at no cost to themselves" sources. Or even better, the ones who base their spiel on considerations such as: "I'm going to make more money by saying something different than anyone else"

If I were the OP I would most definitely continue to roll with what is working now BUT BE WILLING TO TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND ADJUST, if needed, as time goes on. And I would try to TEMPER my enthusiasm. Just because something is working well today; avoid the transmission to double down. Show restraint and keep working for the long term.

You nudge equilibriums (when it is feasible to just nudge). In general, the more we "perturb" the harder the kick back, it seems, that we get from our bodies.

So lose weight... but try not to exceed the 0.5% to 1% range of bodyweight per week. For people with less weight to lose 0.25% to 1% per week may be even more appropriate.

So exercise and be active.. but keep things to where you can keep going without wearing down body and soul.

If things kick back... don't give up; but build impediments to regain and fight hard to re-balance... and then, more cautiously, move back down again. Don't give up. Seek to balance. Perturb the balance as little as you can while moving meaningfully towards where you want to be. Adjust and stay in the game.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You may say pizza is meat dish, but Amarican society calles pizza vegetable dish.

I've traveled all over the US and have yet to meet anyone who considers pizza to be a vegetable dish.

I mean, I've heard it as a joke. But it was very obviously a joke.

ETA: Unless, is this a reference to the school lunch controversy? It seems like, as with many news items, stories about this were written/headlined for peak click value, NOT necessarily with an eye toward accuracy over all. This piece is more in depth and seeks to clear up many of the misperceptions floating around at that time about what exactly the debate was.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    You may say pizza is meat dish, but Amarican society calles pizza vegetable dish.

I've traveled all over the US and have yet to meet anyone who considers pizza to be a vegetable dish.

There’s a cauliflower crust pizza that’s pretty good. Just sayin…. :D
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options

That was a good one... Although many of those cauliflower recipes have a huge amount of cheese and or fat in it.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

on725hnaodb9.png

(I like cauliflower, but not as a substitute for starches.)

@kshama2001 —- mon ami!!! You haven’t tried my Cauli pizza!! Hahah

Ps.. cauliflower bites … just sayin’ 😉😉
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options

on725hnaodb9.png

(I like cauliflower, but not as a substitute for starches.)

Gluten intolerant here. Love my starches. Just not the wheat….
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    YOU TOO
  • jbanta07
    jbanta07 Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »

That was a good one... Although many of those cauliflower recipes have a huge amount of cheese and or fat in it.

Speaking as a gluten intolerant person, you can have my cheesy, fatty fatty fat fat and veggie covered cauliflower pizza when you pry it out of my (insert NRA quote here)

I budgeted those calories, and dag gum it, I’m agonna eat them.

I did keto for a year and a half and even though I'm not doing it any more, I still love me some cauliflower pizza. Honestly, if you are making it yourself, it doesn't contain any more fat than a normal-crust pizza haha.

I also love cauliflower mac and cheese, cauliflower fried "rice," and cauliflower mashed potatoes. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can do keto if they don't like cauliflower lol.

Keto worked for me for quite a while. It really helped me with my carb addiction. I'm still leery of any "nutritional" benefit that might come from our commercialized wheat and flour. The most popular wheat germ that we grow from agriculture is not grown because of its nutrition, it's popular because you can harvest it faster and get more out of it. Just look at enriched flour (flour that has no nutritional value after the milling process, so the FDA requires companies to add vitamins back into it).