Calling all runners...

1789101113»

Replies

• astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    I’m very much a beginner when it comes to running and I have a question about how you setup your weekly runs. I want to run 4 times a week, with the goal of eventually running around running 20-25 miles per week.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    astod4 wrote: »
    I’m very much a beginner when it comes to running and I have a question about how you setup your weekly runs. I want to run 4 times a week, with the goal of eventually running around running 20-25 miles per week.

My pattern is generally Tues/Wed/Fri/Sun. Week days are before work and 3-5 miles because realistically I don't have time for longer. One of those is supposed to be shorter and intervals, but don't like doing that much :D .
    Sunday is always long - which I count as anything over 5 miles. Exactly how long depends on what I'm training for, so Monday is always rest day.

In between those is other stuff - swimming/yoga/gym/walking to run errands. Cross training helps avoid injuries.
    Your best bet is to build up slowly.
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member
    astod4 wrote: »
    @astod4 I would recommend you start out every other day with 3 slow paced runs and one day where you try a longer distance. Don’t be afraid to use a run walk method or slow your pace when you first start out. I’d also recommend you consider foam rolling and stretching. Make sure you get the right shoes, have an expert get the right shoes for you.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    @littlegreenparrot1, and @MikeRunsDaily2021 thanks for your insight. I’ve been doing slow and moderate running days for a few months with a longer run mixed in. I probably should mix in some intervals as well. Do you have a recommendation for shoes to get?
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member
    @astod4 I would say if you have a good amount of base running you can start adding in some intervals. Just try not to do too much to soon (easier said than done). Just keep the big picture in mind.

that’s the million dollar question. 🤣🤣🤣 I have tried a lot of different shoes and was surprised the ones I like best are Nike Flex Rn 2020. I don’t know anyone else who uses them and it just shows it everyone is different. I would go to a running store and have someone pick out one that matches your running style.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 173 Member
    Does anyone have tips to relax while focusing on cadence/form? If I need to run in the house or a quick distance, I am loose and light on my feet. Once I'm in my running gear and start a workout, I become very rigid, especially when focusing on form/cadence. When I do start to become more relaxed, I start to lose my form/balance. I think I'm looking for some liw-key advice because I am someone that will overfocus/compensate.

Thanks in advance and happy running.